The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SMU2013

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby SMU2013 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And their recruiter is extraordinarily attractive.

So true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I met her in person. It was a very pleasant experience. And she (and the interviewers) were extremely nice. They aren't kidding by too much about the top 10% requirement, though. Some leeway, but not much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I met her in person. It was a very pleasant experience. And she (and the interviewers) were extremely nice. They aren't kidding by too much about the top 10% requirement, though. Some leeway, but not much.

I don't like when firms do this. It makes me wish that I would have gone to some TT and absolutely killed it. Instead, 1/3 of my school consists of kids who scored in the 170's and turned down T14's for a free ride to a T20.

There was a small/mid-size firm that came to OCI and interviewed kids outside the top 10%, asking them why they weren't in the top 10%. Meanwhile, the interviewers were all from a school ranked in the 100's. One guy told them he wasn't in the top 10% because he didn't go to one of the interviewer's alma mater.

target

Postby target » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I met her in person. It was a very pleasant experience. And she (and the interviewers) were extremely nice. They aren't kidding by too much about the top 10% requirement, though. Some leeway, but not much.

I don't like when firms do this. It makes me wish that I would have gone to some TT and absolutely killed it. Instead, 1/3 of my school consists of kids who scored in the 170's and turned down T14's for a free ride to a T20.

There was a small/mid-size firm that came to OCI and interviewed kids outside the top 10%, asking them why they weren't in the top 10%. Meanwhile, the interviewers were all from a school ranked in the 100's. One guy told them he wasn't in the top 10% because he didn't go to one of the interviewer's alma mater.

that's funny. What happened?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if it'd be better to start applying to paralegal positions

will firms hire JDs into paralegal positions? i'd much rather work as a paralegal at a big firm and get a decent salary/benefits than do shitlaw somewhere. is that an option??

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:27 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

that's funny. What happened?

180 response. Also this.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if it'd be better to start applying to paralegal positions

will firms hire JDs into paralegal positions? i'd much rather work as a paralegal at a big firm and get a decent salary/benefits than do shitlaw somewhere. is that an option??

They generally won't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 pm

I hope I'm starting to catch some lucky breaks here fellow Valers. I posted a couple pages back. I'm the guy who graduated last year and have been looking for jobs while holding down the same position I had during school.

Had a real good screener a couple weeks back and got a callback to the firm. Regional office for a major NLJ250 firm. Hoping that goes well. Also working on an offer from a smaller firm. Things are definitely starting to look up!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hope I'm starting to catch some lucky breaks here fellow Valers. I posted a couple pages back. I'm the guy who graduated last year and have been looking for jobs while holding down the same position I had during school.

Had a real good screener a couple weeks back and got a callback to the firm. Regional office for a major NLJ250 firm. Hoping that goes well. Also working on an offer from a smaller firm. Things are definitely starting to look up!

seems promising bro

let us know what happens

we need some more good news around here

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:seems promising bro

let us know what happens

Thanks bro. I'm excited and slightly nervous for the callback. Ironically, it was my first phone screener and will be my first callback, eva...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:seems promising bro

let us know what happens

Thanks bro. I'm excited and slightly nervous for the callback. Ironically, it was my first phone screener and will be my first callback, eva...

I find phone screeners so stressful

I always find myself thinking

That these interviewer bros are lauging at me

In their office together

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 am

rad lulz wrote:I find phone screeners so stressful

I always find myself thinking

That these interviewer bros are lauging at me

In their office together

I was definitely walking on egg shells making sure I didn't say anything awkward.

Hopefully the laughing won't happen at the in-person interview! (unless it's for a good reason)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 am

Ugh, this is becoming more and more of an emotional rollercoaster. Two weeks ago I had two phone interviews at two-midsized firms in two separate markets I was interested in. Then an email from a smaller third firm asking if I was still interested. Now all I hear are crickets coupled with a few rejection letters from other firms I applied at.

My dumbass keeps reminiscing about an unreachable lifestyle beyond the vale. If I get hired at the midsize firm, I would be making $140K/year. I've been going on the websites of apartments in the trender parts of town and think about how cool it will be to come home to a nice place after work. And I'm not talking about a crazy place, but a "modest" apartment in a big city with rent in the $1200-1400/month range. Instead, I will have to downsize from my $800/month studio and look for an apartment in the $500/month range. This law school experience gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "one step forward, two steps back." FML

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ugh, this is becoming more and more of an emotional rollercoaster. Two weeks ago I had two phone interviews at two-midsized firms in two separate markets I was interested in. Then an email from a smaller third firm asking if I was still interested. Now all I hear are crickets coupled with a few rejection letters from other firms I applied at.

My dumbass keeps reminiscing about an unreachable lifestyle beyond the vale. If I get hired at the midsize firm, I would be making $140K/year. I've been going on the websites of apartments in the trender parts of town and think about how cool it will be to come home to a nice place after work. And I'm not talking about a crazy place, but a "modest" apartment in a big city with rent in the $1200-1400/month range. Instead, I will have to downsize from my $800/month studio and look for an apartment in the $500/month range. This law school experience gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "one step forward, two steps back." FML

As soon as I left the Vale I was like "so stoked to go home; can't wait to buy guns."

It's the simple things

Keep us updated anon

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am

Resume question for you bros.

If you won a CALI for a seminar on evidence and trial practice, and this was the only CALI you had, how would you draft that line on your resume?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Have a lead on a job for someone with 1-3 years experience. I don't know if that applies to anyone here but if you want PM me. It's a tiny firm doing probate, guardianship, contested estate/trusts, personal injury in the Chicago burbs (Arlington Heights)

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 pm

TTH wrote:Resume question for you bros.

If you won a CALI for a seminar on evidence and trial practice, and this was the only CALI you had, how would you draft that line on your resume?

Here's how I have mine set up:

GPA: x.xx
Awards: CALI Award - Evidence and Trial Practice (awarded for highest grade in a course)

Obviously the formatting looks better and I have a few awards listed, but that's basically how it goes. I'm not sure if that helps or if it's what you're looking for. I'm a little unsure why it would change if you have one or multiple CALIs.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Geist13 wrote:
TTH wrote:Resume question for you bros.

Here's how I have mine set up:

GPA: x.xx
Awards: CALI Award - Evidence and Trial Practice (awarded for highest grade in a course)

Obviously the formatting looks better and I have a few awards listed, but that's basically how it goes. I'm not sure if that helps or if it's what you're looking for. I'm a little unsure why it would change if you have one or multiple CALIs.

I'm guessing this person was thinking of making a line called "CALIs" or maybe only has one award and wasn't sure if they should create a line just for one award. But hey, one award is better than no awards - make an awards section. All my "Awards" section has is two calis - I've never won anything else. I think I might have put my named scholarship there just to fill in the rest of the line.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:lol I've never CALI'd shit

I calid a couple. Didn't mean shit

Night_L

Postby Night_L » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:23 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
rad lulz wrote:lol I've never CALI'd shit

I calid a couple. Didn't mean shit

Ditto.

What does everyone think about sending in a resume alone when a cover letter is not specifically requested? I've always thought cover letters do me a disservice since my resume is pretty strong, but I suck at writing about myself; I've never been able to do it. Decent mid-size firm, looking for entry level in my market, would be pumped as shit to land an interview. They don't specify any particular items to include in the application. Are cover letters really necessary? Are they actually read? I can't imagine actually reading them with a straight face.

Night_L

Postby Night_L » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 am

Quit finding excuses to be lazy and write the damn thing. Unbelievable attitude, especially since you are in the vale. The time for wondering about utility of cover letters is long past. Just do it.

I hate writing them too (who doesn't??). But once I finally sucked it up and got it down before OCI, all I've had do since were minor modifications.

User has been outed.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Postby Agent » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:12 am

^ Uncool. For someone inundated with finals and the job hunt, the venting and question seem reasonable.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:29 am

I've gotten interviews with employers who specifically requested just a resume by sending...wait for it...just a resume. I always send specifically what they request, make sure that the email indicates I have transcript, writing sample and references available upon request, and write a bit longer intro email if no cover letter.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:32 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”