The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BVest

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by BVest » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a recent grad who's currently clerking. I'm trying to update my LinkedIn profile to assist in the inevitable hunt for a post-clerkship job that's quickly approaching. Would it be a dick move to put that I graduated 2nd in my class and also add AmJur awards? Those are on my resume of course, and I try to treat LinkedIn like a resume. But several connections are former classmates. I didn't talk about my rank and awards while in school, so I'm not sure whether it would be inappropriate now. The ultimate goal is to find a long-term job. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with putting that on LinkedIn.
Just be sure that you've turned off "Send updates to contacts" before you add stuff like that.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Curious what people think and how to go about job search:

I was offered a one-year clerkship in the SDNY but it won't start until 2018. I have to do something for two years until then. Do email I email big-law employers that I was most recently rejected from (before I got the clerkship offer) and ask them if this new information would make any difference?

Also going forward to I mention this in my interviews? Is it likely Big Law Employers would hire someone who had a clerkship in two years?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:47 pm

from the timeline, s/he is a 3L.

My advice is to include this clerkship on your resume and apply to those same firms again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:53 pm

I agree with above. Just mass mail. But make it really freaking obvious that you have the clerkship now. Definitely put in body of email. Maybe even in subject line.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes, I am a 3L but I'm curious: What firm will want to hire someone for two years--knowing that they are going off to do the clerkship for one year? Is this common?

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, I am a 3L but I'm curious: What firm will want to hire someone for two years--knowing that they are going off to do the clerkship for one year? Is this common?
It is common for clerkships to take a year out of a young associate's time at a firm, especially at larger firms. Normally it is near the first year. Policies vary greatly.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, I am a 3L but I'm curious: What firm will want to hire someone for two years--knowing that they are going off to do the clerkship for one year? Is this common?
More common than you might think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

I have interviews with two of the largest impact litigation nonprofits in an issue I care deeply about. Really excited about the possibility post-graduate PI dream job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have interviews with two of the largest impact litigation nonprofits in an issue I care deeply about. Really excited about the possibility post-graduate PI dream job.
Congrats! Best of luck. If you're passionate about it like you've said, it'll show through in your interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:34 pm

How long after sending in an application can you comfortably assume you were rejected? Five business days? Two weeks?

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long after sending in an application can you comfortably assume you were rejected? Five business days? Two weeks?
Anecdotally, I got a call for an interview two months after I applied for a v100.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:14 pm

I love the weekend, because its a break from the stress of it all. Nothing good or bad will happen, outside of the elapse of time.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ron_Mexico

New

Post by Ron_Mexico » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:08 pm

This probably won't be of much use to those currently stressing out, but I remember that reading success stories made me feel better when I was a regular visitor to this thread, so I wanted to drop by and share my story:

I graduated from a good-but-not-great (T50) school in 2014. I had a few nibbles from small firms and alternative employers (Dodd-Frank compliance jobs, a legal editor position at Bloomberg BNA, etc.). Nothing panned out, and I was getting increasingly desperate. I have no family money to fall back on, live in an expensive city, and will soon be totally out of money. Because I'm an absolute crazy person, I signed up with one of those doc review attorney placement services even before I took final exams 3L. They were great, and immediately found me a couple miscellaneous projects that I worked on while I was studying for the bar (note: if you can avoid working during bar prep at all, I would do so. I worked two separate legal odd jobs while I was studying from the bar, which resulted in me completing exactly 11% of my bar review program and, eventually, juuuuust barely passing the bar.). I was blasting out resumes every day, to every vacancy that was even mildly related to the law.

As I sat for the bar, life was looking pretty bleak: I was a total basket case, my relationships were suffering for it, and there appeared to be no long term future for me in the law. My google history from that time was basically different variations of "what countries can I move to to avoid paying GradPlus loans?"

Out of nowhere, maybe two days after I took the bar, I got a hit on a job I didn't even remember applying to. It was a federal government job with a prestige executive agency in the exact specialization that I had studied extensively and had totally written off getting a job in (international trade if you're wondering). I went in, interviewed, and shockingly - amazingly - got the job (even though I wouldn't get bar results for a month and a half, I was allowed to start immediately). I would learn later that I beat out 900 other applicants, all of which I imagine were more qualified (the position was advertised as GS11-14, so many of the other applicants were senior associates at BigLaw and the like). To this day, I have no idea why I was hired.

The job turned out great - I work on issues with a national profile, am doing really well, getting all kinds of responsibility. Honors Attorneys (a program that wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole) rotate through, and my office treats them like interns, all the while handing me more and more important work. I'm thinking about proposing to my girlfriend soon, and getting married would require me making more than FedGov money, so I applied to a couple targeted vacancies just to see what would happen, and so far 2 of the 3 BigLaw firms I applied to have brought me in to interview (one of which I expect will offer me any day now).

Anyways, I'm sorry if this came off as me bragging or being douchey - that wasn't the intent. I just wanted to leave this here to say that a little over a year ago I was on this thread every day and really thought that law school destroyed my life, and today I am very happy and on my way to what will (hopefully) be a successful legal career. And that it all happened really fast, so don't lose hope or something like that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Awesome story, sir. Congratulations to you, and thanks for the encouragement. It helps more than anyone knows.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Where do you find entry level govt jobs to apply to? Everything I see seems to want a lot of experience

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Awesome story, sir. Congratulations to you, and thanks for the encouragement. It helps more than anyone knows.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:15 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:Where do you find entry level govt jobs to apply to? Everything I see seems to want a lot of experience
USAjobs for federal government. Search "attorney" and filter to show only those with pay grade GS-11 (GS-11 is the entry-level pay grade for attorneys, and indicates they'll hire people for entry level jobs). The USA jobs almost always require bar passage, but if you took the bar in July, and are applying in July or August, but haven't received results, then they'll likely still interview you since bar passage is (hopefully!) arriving shortly.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:35 am

Final round interview with DOT Honors program today. Super excited/nervous.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Just had another interview today at a great firm. Fuck, I hope this works out. They said they were looking for a more experienced attorney, but I made sure to convey my experience, exposure, and desire to work at the firm. Hopefully, I can at least snag a call back out of this. Who knows.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have interviews with two of the largest impact litigation nonprofits in an issue I care deeply about. Really excited about the possibility post-graduate PI dream job.
Congrats! Best of luck. If you're passionate about it like you've said, it'll show through in your interview.
I thought one of the interviews was only so-so, but they reached out to my references only hours after my interview, so I don't know if that's good news or just standard operating procedure.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Ron_Mexico wrote: The job turned out great - I work on issues with a national profile, am doing really well, getting all kinds of responsibility. Honors Attorneys (a program that wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole) rotate through, and my office treats them like interns, all the while handing me more and more important work. I'm thinking about proposing to my girlfriend soon, and getting married would require me making more than FedGov money, so I applied to a couple targeted vacancies just to see what would happen, and so far 2 of the 3 BigLaw firms I applied to have brought me in to interview (one of which I expect will offer me any day now).
I feel the need to chime in and specify that this treatment varies by agency and whether you've passed the bar or not. I have certainly always been treated as a full attorney even before I passed the bar. I've been handling my own cases since and doing other work with the same level of supervision that other senior attorneys get in the office.

But yes, no need to lose hope. Stuff works out, just keep hustling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 am

Ron_Mexico wrote:This probably won't be of much use to those currently stressing out, but I remember that reading success stories made me feel better when I was a regular visitor to this thread, so I wanted to drop by and share my story:

I graduated from a good-but-not-great (T50) school in 2014. I had a few nibbles from small firms and alternative employers (Dodd-Frank compliance jobs, a legal editor position at Bloomberg BNA, etc.). Nothing panned out, and I was getting increasingly desperate. I have no family money to fall back on, live in an expensive city, and will soon be totally out of money. Because I'm an absolute crazy person, I signed up with one of those doc review attorney placement services even before I took final exams 3L. They were great, and immediately found me a couple miscellaneous projects that I worked on while I was studying for the bar (note: if you can avoid working during bar prep at all, I would do so. I worked two separate legal odd jobs while I was studying from the bar, which resulted in me completing exactly 11% of my bar review program and, eventually, juuuuust barely passing the bar.). I was blasting out resumes every day, to every vacancy that was even mildly related to the law.

As I sat for the bar, life was looking pretty bleak: I was a total basket case, my relationships were suffering for it, and there appeared to be no long term future for me in the law. My google history from that time was basically different variations of "what countries can I move to to avoid paying GradPlus loans?"

Out of nowhere, maybe two days after I took the bar, I got a hit on a job I didn't even remember applying to. It was a federal government job with a prestige executive agency in the exact specialization that I had studied extensively and had totally written off getting a job in (international trade if you're wondering). I went in, interviewed, and shockingly - amazingly - got the job (even though I wouldn't get bar results for a month and a half, I was allowed to start immediately). I would learn later that I beat out 900 other applicants, all of which I imagine were more qualified (the position was advertised as GS11-14, so many of the other applicants were senior associates at BigLaw and the like). To this day, I have no idea why I was hired.

The job turned out great - I work on issues with a national profile, am doing really well, getting all kinds of responsibility. Honors Attorneys (a program that wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole) rotate through, and my office treats them like interns, all the while handing me more and more important work. I'm thinking about proposing to my girlfriend soon, and getting married would require me making more than FedGov money, so I applied to a couple targeted vacancies just to see what would happen, and so far 2 of the 3 BigLaw firms I applied to have brought me in to interview (one of which I expect will offer me any day now).

Anyways, I'm sorry if this came off as me bragging or being douchey - that wasn't the intent. I just wanted to leave this here to say that a little over a year ago I was on this thread every day and really thought that law school destroyed my life, and today I am very happy and on my way to what will (hopefully) be a successful legal career. And that it all happened really fast, so don't lose hope or something like that?
Sounds like a job I recently applied for (like, the same exact job). I applied there about a month ago. Radio silence. I knew it was out of my league.

Grats to you. I am very jealous.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:14 am

Ugh... is there any point at which 3Ls should just stop applying and wait to re-start closer to 2016 start dates?

I still seem to be getting occasional interest, but jees it's fucking draining writing cover letter after cover letter after cover letter. And a good number of places have told me to re-apply in 2016

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”