The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi, lurker here.

I was wondering if any of you had resume advice. I went to a t14, graduated in May, took the bar. Grades were just ok. I struck out of 2L OCI and ended up at a Big4 doing intl tax stuff for 2L summer. I ended up accepting their offer at the end of summer and returned this fall but I desperately want to be in a law firm in NYC for transactional work (I have been trying through 3L year, although perhaps not hard enough...). After applying to a couple jobs, I realized that listing my current work experience at the accounting firm on my resume might be a red alarm since it looks like I'm jumping ship (well, I am trying) immediately after starting a job. Should I just leave it out? Or is some job experience better than none? Thanks in advance guys.

On a side note, I recommend these Big4 gigs to any of those who want a non-super-legal job (i still deal with the tax code and treaties) with slightly better hours and enough salary to pay off your loans. Seems like they have more openings than law firms do.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, lurker here.

I was wondering if any of you had resume advice. I went to a t14, graduated in May, took the NY bar. Grades were just ok. I struck out of 2L OCI and ended up at a Big4 doing intl tax stuff for 2L summer. I ended up accepting their offer at the end of summer and returned this fall but I desperately want to be in a law firm in NYC for transactional work (I have been trying through 3L year, although perhaps not hard enough...). After applying to a couple jobs, I realized that listing my current work experience at the accounting firm on my resume might be a red alarm since it looks like I'm jumping ship (well, I am trying) immediately after starting a job. Should I just leave it out? Or is some job experience better than none? Thanks in advance guys.

On a side note, I recommend these Big4 gigs to any of those who want a non-super-legal job (i still deal with the tax code and treaties) with slightly better hours and enough salary to pay off your loans. Seems like they have more openings than law firms do.


you should stick out the intl tax experience for 2 years then try to go to a law firm in tax. youre basically sitting on a gold mine and trying to leave it.

steele
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 1:03 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby steele » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, lurker here.

I was wondering if any of you had resume advice. I went to a t14, graduated in May, took the NY bar. Grades were just ok. I struck out of 2L OCI and ended up at a Big4 doing intl tax stuff for 2L summer. I ended up accepting their offer at the end of summer and returned this fall but I desperately want to be in a law firm in NYC for transactional work (I have been trying through 3L year, although perhaps not hard enough...). After applying to a couple jobs, I realized that listing my current work experience at the accounting firm on my resume might be a red alarm since it looks like I'm jumping ship (well, I am trying) immediately after starting a job. Should I just leave it out? Or is some job experience better than none? Thanks in advance guys.

On a side note, I recommend these Big4 gigs to any of those who want a non-super-legal job (i still deal with the tax code and treaties) with slightly better hours and enough salary to pay off your loans. Seems like they have more openings than law firms do.


I moved from the Big 4 in an employee benefits group to big law in a transactional group. I would leave it on your resume. I was able to speak about my experience during the interview and relate that experience back to what I would be doing with the law firm. Also, I think it was clear to most attorneys at the firm why I would want to leave for a law firm job, so I wouldn't worry about firms thinking you're trying to jump ship right away.

I would advise trying to move ASAP. I think the longer you stay at the big 4, the harder it will become to leave.

kykiske
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kykiske » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Now that I've passed the bar, how should I go about my job search? I've heard things get a tad easier, but I don't know exactly how it gets easier. Please help me for I am noob.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Is this a place where people job hunting for post-short-term jobs can come and discuss the hunt as well? Or would that be frowned upon?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Is this a place where people job hunting for post-short-term jobs can come and discuss the hunt as well? Or would that be frowned upon?


3L job hunting is really just post-short-term job hunting except you get paid in student loan debt.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Graduated from MVP school unemployed (worked for a judge 1L, a small firm in my hometown city's suburbs 2L). After struggling to get employment (I've had probably 15-20 interviews since 3L began, for everything from Big 4 Accounting to BigLaw to SmallLaw) I finally just got an offer (which I accepted) from my hometown city's law department. Last few months have been pretty miserable (well, really ever since striking out 2L has been) but I've tried not to let it really get to me. Honestly, to anyone in the same position, just keep grinding. You'll get there.

I know it's too late for anyone like myself who already graduated, but to any current law students reading this, I think what helped me the most was I took a few clinics and tried to get as much practical experience as I could during 3L. Really, as soon as you strike out for biglaw, just do whatever you can (clinics, internships, etc.) to get practical experience. I think there's a greater emphasis on this at non-T14 schools so maybe this isn't even the best advice, but it's what ultimately helped me. Also, keep doing practice interviews with career services/etc. I did probably 3 or 4 during 3L and they definitely helped me.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby zot1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Graduated from MVP school unemployed (worked for a judge 1L, a small firm in my hometown city's suburbs 2L). After struggling to get employment (I've had probably 15-20 interviews since 3L began, for everything from Big 4 Accounting to BigLaw to SmallLaw) I finally just got an offer (which I accepted) from my hometown city's law department. Last few months have been pretty miserable (well, really ever since striking out 2L has been) but I've tried not to let it really get to me. Honestly, to anyone in the same position, just keep grinding. You'll get there.

I know it's too late for anyone like myself who already graduated, but to any current law students reading this, I think what helped me the most was I took a few clinics and tried to get as much practical experience as I could during 3L. Really, as soon as you strike out for biglaw, just do whatever you can (clinics, internships, etc.) to get practical experience. I think there's a greater emphasis on this at non-T14 schools so maybe this isn't even the best advice, but it's what ultimately helped me. Also, keep doing practice interviews with career services/etc. I did probably 3 or 4 during 3L and they definitely helped me.


Congrats on the offer! Now go party it up.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby zot1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:42 pm

kykiske wrote:Now that I've passed the bar, how should I go about my job search? I've heard things get a tad easier, but I don't know exactly how it gets easier. Please help me for I am noob.


It gets "easier" because there are many small- and medium-sized firms and government agencies that will not consider applicants unless they are already license. So go crazy with all the applications!

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Graduated from MVP school unemployed (worked for a judge 1L, a small firm in my hometown city's suburbs 2L). After struggling to get employment (I've had probably 15-20 interviews since 3L began, for everything from Big 4 Accounting to BigLaw to SmallLaw) I finally just got an offer (which I accepted) from my hometown city's law department. Last few months have been pretty miserable (well, really ever since striking out 2L has been) but I've tried not to let it really get to me. Honestly, to anyone in the same position, just keep grinding. You'll get there.

I know it's too late for anyone like myself who already graduated, but to any current law students reading this, I think what helped me the most was I took a few clinics and tried to get as much practical experience as I could during 3L. Really, as soon as you strike out for biglaw, just do whatever you can (clinics, internships, etc.) to get practical experience. I think there's a greater emphasis on this at non-T14 schools so maybe this isn't even the best advice, but it's what ultimately helped me. Also, keep doing practice interviews with career services/etc. I did probably 3 or 4 during 3L and they definitely helped me.


That's what got me in the door, too.

Truckasaurus
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Truckasaurus » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:11 pm

anyone IP qualified with a potential interest in Delaware should PM me, my firm is looking for people to start next fall

edited to add that I too sat in the vale last year and you guys really helped me out (new ID).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 am

I have an interview for an in house counsel position! The day I finished the bar in July a professor emailed me to ask if I was interested in the position and sent them my resume. Today is my second interview (first in person). I was almost ready to give up on it. I'm really not even sure what to expect. I've been in the interview process with a boutique firm for the past few months as well. Both the firm and this company are in the industry I want but are polar opposites. A dozen attorneys vs thousands of employees and an HR department vs 5-6 partners. This is a dream job. All I know is that I'm ready to go in there and seal the deal. I'm ready to finally have some stability. A lot of people have mentioned getting experience but, at least for me, both of my most promising job opportunities have come through networking with professors and practitioners. I mean, neither of the jobs I've been interviewing for have been listed. I did pretty well in school and had great experience but it wasn't getting me in the door.

User avatar
twenty 8
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby twenty 8 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Truckasaurus wrote:anyone IP qualified with a potential interest in Delaware should PM me, my firm is looking for people to start next fall.

I have a law school friend (now at a small firm) who is looking and the possibility of Delaware employment recently came up. She said the Delaware bar is the toughest in the country plus there are a number of “hoops” to jump through before actually being able to sign on to a Del firm. Can you expound?

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3880
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Rejected for a fed gov job that I interviewed for and honestly thought I was going to get. They only accepted a limited number of applications to begin with, then the interview went really well (imo at least). I actually worked at the hiring agency (albeit in a different office doing some fairly different things) and worked in another agency doing something that the position calls for knowledge in.

That was my sixth interview since I became licensed. Fuck I really thought I was out going to be out of the vale.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 6366
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby FSK » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:23 pm

I've got a new sanity maintaining technique, which is to turn off my phone and email during business hours. Exactly one terror inducing refresh per day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm a recent grad who's currently clerking. I'm trying to update my LinkedIn profile to assist in the inevitable hunt for a post-clerkship job that's quickly approaching. Would it be a dick move to put that I graduated 2nd in my class and also add AmJur awards? Those are on my resume of course, and I try to treat LinkedIn like a resume. But several connections are former classmates. I didn't talk about my rank and awards while in school, so I'm not sure whether it would be inappropriate now. The ultimate goal is to find a long-term job. Thanks in advance for the advice!

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3880
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a recent grad who's currently clerking. I'm trying to update my LinkedIn profile to assist in the inevitable hunt for a post-clerkship job that's quickly approaching. Would it be a dick move to put that I graduated 2nd in my class and also add AmJur awards? Those are on my resume of course, and I try to treat LinkedIn like a resume. But several connections are former classmates. I didn't talk about my rank and awards while in school, so I'm not sure whether it would be inappropriate now. The ultimate goal is to find a long-term job. Thanks in advance for the advice!


Yeah, there's nothing wrong with putting that on LinkedIn.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:32 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Rejected for a fed gov job that I interviewed for and honestly thought I was going to get. They only accepted a limited number of applications to begin with, then the interview went really well (imo at least). I actually worked at the hiring agency (albeit in a different office doing some fairly different things) and worked in another agency doing something that the position calls for knowledge in.

That was my sixth interview since I became licensed. Fuck I really thought I was out going to be out of the vale.


Which agency?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:22 am

I've been licensed 6 months now and still not even an interview. This royally sucks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Just totally bombed my last real chance for employment at graduation - a position I really wanted too, and for which I thought I'd be perfect.

Welp, back to the drawing board, I guess....

NorCalLaw
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NorCalLaw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just totally bombed my last real chance for employment at graduation - a position I really wanted too, and for which I thought I'd be perfect.

Welp, back to the drawing board, I guess....


Assuming you are class of 2016, there are plenty of chances to find employment. Just keep churning, and if you haven't started churning through applications, now is the time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Keep your heads up everyone, it gets better (probably... definitely).

Graduated from UT in May. 1L grades were median, so struck out at OCI. Worked at a small firm 2L summer, got an offer but didn't want to go back. Finally got back around to applying to symplicity jobs after the bar and got an offer at a V25 firm two weeks ago (grades after 3L year put me in the top 25% of the class, roughly).

Advice to anyone who just graduated is to keep plugging. Sounds lame, but it works--seriously. With just simplicity I got several biglaw and midlaw interviews/callbacks, and I'm sure folks who are industrious enough to mass mail will do even better. For 2L/3L lurkers, do as much as you can to raise your GPA before graduation so that you can differentiate yourself from all the other graduates. I tried to avoid TLS (although there were many late night visits) just because of how pessimistic the mood can get (which I totally understand). Going without a decent job for the last two years, and seeing friends with BigLaw SA gigs/offers, was miserable--but if you keep on plugging there are jobs out there to be had.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:29 pm

The wait for NY and MA bar results is killing me. I was in NYC networking last week and met a few big-law partners (Skadden, White Case, Cravath) who asked for my resume after chatting with them, but only got the "good luck, you'll get a job with your grades," reply e-mails. At least they could have lied and said that they'd pass my resume around. I finished top 10%, prior military, and would've been even higher without a really bad 1L semester. It is just getting frustrating. Every attorney tells me that I shouldn't have a hard time getting hired, but it means nothing until I start getting interviews.

The thing keeping me sane is exercise, dieting, and working for my parent's business to save up some money when loans come due.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:17 pm

If you are at a firm 2L summer looking to trade up, when should you start contacting people?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are at a firm 2L summer looking to trade up, when should you start contacting people?

That's not really what this thread is about.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.