The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bikeflip

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:52 pm

I know better than this, but I've spent more time in the past week outlining for a class w/ no curve than I have looking for jerbs. Just tired of seeing rejection letters and feeling like I've wasted my time. :?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm

deebs wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You get decent tax grades?

From what I'm hearing NYU LLM ain't even a good bet any more if you want big law

May be different got big 4 doe

Also yeah "free WUSTL LLM" does not sound promising in the least

Yeah, A's and A-'s in tax classes so far, IRS experience, RA for tax professor. The thing that really grinds my gears is that the Dean gave a talk and mentioned that a lot of the jd-preferred placements were at consulting or accounting firms, which is a flat out lie based off what data I try to sieve out of the CSO. I did interview with a Big 4 over thanksgiving break, received a ""happy holidays e-mail and look forward to seeing you in 2013," but I've been ignored by the recruiter every time I try to call or e-mail.

you should apply here:

http://www.stoel.com/attorneys_openings.htm

Tax Associate
Stoel Rives LLP is seeking an entry level to junior associate to join the income tax group in its Portland office. The ideal candidate will have up to 3 years of federal, state and local income tax law experience. A Masters of Law in Taxation is strongly preferred. Strong academic credentials, writing skills and interpersonal skills are required. Membership in the Oregon bar is preferred.

son_of_ben

Postby son_of_ben » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm

After 3 months of nothing but silence and form rejection letters, I have gotten two interviews in the past couple days.

There is still some hope out there...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Resume drop has a lit botique in TX flying me out (waiting to hear back on exact date) for an interview. Not big law, but I guess more of a start. Will see how it goes if things go through.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:58 pm

son_of_ben wrote:After 3 months of nothing but silence and form rejection letters, I have gotten two interviews in the past couple days.

Grats braj

What worked for you?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Resume drop has a lit botique in TX flying me out (waiting to hear back on exact date) for an interview. Not big law, but I guess more of a start. Will see how it goes if things go through.

Reassuring news dooder.

btw, I was trolling BYU's intercollegate job bank today and saw a posting for an entry level A-USA in the civil division in Denver. If we got any Colorado bros out there with the credentials, you might want to check it out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm

TTH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Resume drop has a lit botique in TX flying me out (waiting to hear back on exact date) for an interview. Not big law, but I guess more of a start. Will see how it goes if things go through.

Reassuring news dooder.

btw, I was trolling BYU's intercollegate job bank today and saw a posting for an entry level A-USA in the civil division in Denver. If we got any Colorado bros out there with the credentials, you might want to check it out.

Really? 0 years of experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:

Reassuring news dooder.

Thought this was an SAUSA position, i.e. not paid. Question though: can non-citizens be SAUSAs? Because they can't be AUSAs, but if they aren't being paid...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:

Reassuring news dooder.

Thought this was an SAUSA position, i.e. not paid.

Makes more sense.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:

Reassuring news dooder.

Well, shit...just realized it expired April 8. Sorry guys.

ETA: I would've thought SAUSA too, but that's not how it was posted. Maybe whoever posted it on Symplicity dogged it. I didn't check the doj posting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 pm

TTH wrote:ETA: I would've thought SAUSA too, but that's not how it was posted. Maybe whoever posted it on Symplicity dogged it. I didn't check the doj posting.

I double checked the DOJ posting when you said that and yes, it's totally a SAUSA position. SUCKS because I absolutely need to be in Denver or the surrounding area and no where else.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TTH wrote:ETA: I would've thought SAUSA too, but that's not how it was posted. Maybe whoever posted it on Symplicity dogged it. I didn't check the doj posting.

I double checked the DOJ posting when you said that and yes, it's totally a SAUSA position. SUCKS because I absolutely need to be in Denver or the surrounding area and no where else.

Sorry man. Score one for diligent career services.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Not sure if it'd be better to start applying to paralegal positions or to try and set up a solo practice. I think I could capably handle most basic cases in my field (immigration) and am married to someone who snagged bigfed, so technically, we can afford all of our bills without any income from me. But shit. How does one even set up a solo practice? It's so daunting.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you should apply here:

THANKS!

rad lulz wrote:The tax groups seemed to want a UG accounting/finance background

4.0 in all my classes for my dual major economics and finance. I'm going to go to the ABA May tax conference in DC and hope to meet some connects. On that note, anyone going and want to split a hotel room. Serious.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if it'd be better to start applying to paralegal positions or to try and set up a solo practice. I think I could capably handle most basic cases in my field (immigration) and am married to someone who snagged bigfed, so technically, we can afford all of our bills without any income from me. But shit. How does one even set up a solo practice? It's so daunting.

You may see if your state or local bar association has any kind of incubator program or mentoring program for new solos.

e.g., --LinkRemoved--

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if it'd be better to start applying to paralegal positions or to try and set up a solo practice. I think I could capably handle most basic cases in my field (immigration) and am married to someone who snagged bigfed, so technically, we can afford all of our bills without any income from me. But shit. How does one even set up a solo practice? It's so daunting.

Don't apply to paralegal positions

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:Don't apply to paralegal positions

but what does it hurt, if the alternative is going solo? It'd be a paycheck while I get my shit together, and then what, it's a black mark on my resume of becoming a solo practitioner? I'll still hire myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm

TTH wrote:You may see if your state or local bar association has any kind of incubator program or mentoring program for new solos.

e.g., --LinkRemoved--

awesome, definitely going to look into this. I do have some post-grad practice experience (I'm not actually a 3L but graduated, worked for a year, and am now moving from a short of shit paying position to unemployment).

son_of_ben

Postby son_of_ben » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
son_of_ben wrote:After 3 months of nothing but silence and form rejection letters, I have gotten two interviews in the past couple days.

Grats braj

What worked for you?

Networking that I did back in the late fall came through. I initially reached out to younger attorneys after I got no-offered because of firm economics and they told me about firms that were growing. I eventually reached out to the firms in mid-January and had my contacts follow up with anyone they knew at the growing firms. Both firms initially responded with form letter stating that they were not hiring entry-level. Then after months of silence, they decided to bring me in for an interview.

Both are smaller (5-20) people firms with niche practices (real estate related) and are well-respected from what I have gathered.

This is not a typical situation, but it goes to show how weird and random the entire non-OCI hiring process is.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 pm

son_of_ben wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Grats braj

What worked for you?

Networking that I did back in the late fall came through. I initially reached out to younger attorneys after I got no-offered because of firm economics and they told me about firms that were growing. I eventually reached out to the firms in mid-January and had my contacts follow up with anyone they knew at the growing firms. Both firms initially responded with form letter stating that they were not hiring entry-level. Then after months of silence, they decided to bring me in for an interview.

Both are smaller (5-20) people firms with niche practices (real estate related) and are well-respected from what I have gathered.

This is not a typical situation, but it goes to show how weird and random the entire non-OCI hiring process is.

Networking works in mysterious ways bro

Sounds like some good opportunities, especially with people on your side

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
deebs wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You get decent tax grades?

From what I'm hearing NYU LLM ain't even a good bet any more if you want big law

May be different got big 4 doe

Also yeah "free WUSTL LLM" does not sound promising in the least

Yeah, A's and A-'s in tax classes so far, IRS experience, RA for tax professor. The thing that really grinds my gears is that the Dean gave a talk and mentioned that a lot of the jd-preferred placements were at consulting or accounting firms, which is a flat out lie based off what data I try to sieve out of the CSO. I did interview with a Big 4 over thanksgiving break, received a ""happy holidays e-mail and look forward to seeing you in 2013," but I've been ignored by the recruiter every time I try to call or e-mail.

you should apply here:

http://www.stoel.com/attorneys_openings.htm

Tax Associate
Stoel Rives LLP is seeking an entry level to junior associate to join the income tax group in its Portland office. The ideal candidate will have up to 3 years of federal, state and local income tax law experience. A Masters of Law in Taxation is strongly preferred. Strong academic credentials, writing skills and interpersonal skills are required. Membership in the Oregon bar is preferred.

You should also apply here:

The Tax practice group at Kelly Hart & Hallman LLP is seeking to hire an entry level tax associate for its diverse practice providing comprehensive services in all areas of federal, state and local taxation. In addition to tax planning for businesses, investors and participants in the financial markets, we represent clients in controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Many of our transactions have included both foreign and domestic entities that are disregarded for US tax purposes. The Tax practice group takes a primary lead in structuring corporate and partnership formations, reorganizations, acquisitions and dispositions and, with other practice groups in the firm, advise lenders, borrowers and intermediaries in sophisticated financial transactions.

The successful candidate will report to a senior tax attorney.

Job Requirements:
-Strong academic credentials (Top 10%) required
-Experience with legal research and writing required
-Excellent written and oral communication skills
-Experience reading, interpreting and summarizing legal and financial documents required
-Practical Tax or accounting experience preferred
-An LL.M in Taxation is a plus

I think they pay $120-130K, which goes really far in Fort Worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:19 am

Kelly Hart is a good firm. And their recruiter is extraordinarily attractive.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kelly Hart is a good firm. And their recruiter is extraordinarily attractive.

http://www.magazine.tcu.edu/TCUPeople/Article.aspx?articleId=237

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:You should also apply here:

Thanks!

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kelly Hart is a good firm. And their recruiter is extraordinarily attractive.

http://www.magazine.tcu.edu/TCUPeople/Article.aspx?articleId=237

HNNNNNNG

Return to “Legal Employment”