The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:22 pm

In the vale, just went through 3LOLCI. Not expecting anything yet so not worried. Overall, 2/3 of my firm interviews seemed great and 1/2 of my gov felt good. Hopefully at least 1 CB will come out of it to at least show my interview skills have actually improved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 pm

Wishing you well, anon.

I have one firm and one gov interview through OCI, lol.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:44 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
I'm sure you've thought about this, but IME judges often don't hire their former interns as a general practice. Applying to a judge you've interned for who has that policy could make the professional relationship/reference awkward when they must decline. So just make sure you've cleared that its acceptable for you to apply given your previous affiliation.

I had thought about that. How do you suggest I ensure it is acceptable to apply? Should I email the judge directly? Or contact his staff attorney?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Knew I'd make it here eventually. No-offered today; skipped OCI b/c never saw it coming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 pm

so sorry :( if it's any consolation, 3LOLCI rarely works out for anyone. It's awful (having to do it again myself), but next step is the mass mail train.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 am

Took NY and MA bar and am now in the vale. However, I have an interview this week for a mid/large litigation firm in Manhattan (85 attorneys across 3 offices). I'm not really nervous about the interview, as I've met the partner before a few times and he called me to ask if I wanted to interview; but I don't know what to tell them when they ask salary expectations? How do people handle this question during interviews?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Took NY and MA bar and am now in the vale. However, I have an interview this week for a mid/large litigation firm in Manhattan (85 attorneys across 3 offices). I'm not really nervous about the interview, as I've met the partner before a few times and he called me to ask if I wanted to interview; but I don't know what to tell them when they ask salary expectations? How do people handle this question during interviews?

I'm sure you'll find different opinion, but if they start trying to discuss salary early in the process I'd say that it's negotiable and you'd like to come back to that issue once they've determined whether you're the person they'd like to hire.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Took NY and MA bar and am now in the vale. However, I have an interview this week for a mid/large litigation firm in Manhattan (85 attorneys across 3 offices). I'm not really nervous about the interview, as I've met the partner before a few times and he called me to ask if I wanted to interview; but I don't know what to tell them when they ask salary expectations? How do people handle this question during interviews?

I'm sure you'll find different opinion, but if they start trying to discuss salary early in the process I'd say that it's negotiable and you'd like to come back to that issue once they've determined whether you're the person they'd like to hire.

This sounds like a smart approach to me as well.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Struck out of OCI, so graduated with no job offer. Focused mostly on the bar exam during this summer. Now, when the bar exam is over, I started looking for jobs. Needless to say, no luck so far. Managed to get an interview for a compliance job next week. Not really JD-required job. oh well...I hope I will do well during this interview.

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:49 pm

EvelynS wrote:Struck out of OCI, so graduated with no job offer. Focused mostly on the bar exam during this summer. Now, when the bar exam is over, I started looking for jobs. Needless to say, no luck so far. Managed to get an interview for a compliance job next week. Not really JD-required job. oh well...I hope I will do well during this interview.

Hey, that's awesome. I guess with our lowered expectations compliance sounds good to me, lol.

For me, first day since I started applying as a 3LOL where I havent gotten any rejections (no cbs either, but whatever). It's nice to just have a day of ambivalence again. :D

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:
EvelynS wrote:Struck out of OCI, so graduated with no job offer. Focused mostly on the bar exam during this summer. Now, when the bar exam is over, I started looking for jobs. Needless to say, no luck so far. Managed to get an interview for a compliance job next week. Not really JD-required job. oh well...I hope I will do well during this interview.

Hey, that's awesome. I guess with our lowered expectations compliance sounds good to me, lol.

For me, first day since I started applying as a 3LOL where I havent gotten any rejections (no cbs either, but whatever). It's nice to just have a day of ambivalence again. :D

I really hope you will have a better luck than I did during your 3LOL year.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:22 pm

What is everyone's approach regarding applying for jobs that you clearly do not meet the required credentials? Do you all distinguish between more "open" requirements (like "preferred candidates will have . . .") and clearly stated requirements (like "applicants must . . .")?

I try to apply for every position I can (even if I have .01% chance of even getting an interview) but just wonder if it is worth applying when the posting specifically requires minimum experience you don't have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm not sure what to do.

I just graduated ~top 40% at a T14. Struck out at OCI. Didn't even win any interview spots for 3LOCI. Just took the bar exam in my state. Now I don't even know where to begin looking for a job. I have a current non-law job and my debt is manageable (~$70k). Still, this blows.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:What is everyone's approach regarding applying for jobs that you clearly do not meet the required credentials? Do you all distinguish between more "open" requirements (like "preferred candidates will have . . .") and clearly stated requirements (like "applicants must . . .")?

I try to apply for every position I can (even if I have .01% chance of even getting an interview) but just wonder if it is worth applying when the posting specifically requires minimum experience you don't have.

If it's a government job, I won't apply unless I meet the min. requirement. They definitely won't consider you unless you do.

For private employers, I've heard that coming out of law school, it's okay to apply to jobs asking for up to 5 years of experience. For a few months I had a job where they were originally asking for someone with 2-5 yrs experience (I'm a 2014 grad). I've also had interviews where they were asking for people with more experience in the job posting. So yeah, I'd apply. I've never bothered with applying to jobs asking for more than five years' experience though.

lostintheoasis

Postby lostintheoasis » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Officially joining the vale Recent 2015 grad-- had an offer to go back to a boutique corporate firm i summered at during 2l but offer got pulled due to a rapid decrease in business

Quick question: i got a call for an interview last week for a firm in my market. Secretary asked when I would be available...told her i can do anytime doesn't matter. She said that she would check with the partners and get back to me on a date. It's now been a week and no word on interview date. Should I email back and follow up or just wait it out for a little bit?

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 pm

just got a phone call, thought it was a cb since my cell rarely gets calls - nope. fuck the vale.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:14 pm

lostintheoasis wrote:Officially joining the vale Recent 2015 grad-- had an offer to go back to a boutique corporate firm i summered at during 2l but offer got pulled due to a rapid decrease in business

Quick question: i got a call for an interview last week for a firm in my market. Secretary asked when I would be available...told her i can do anytime doesn't matter. She said that she would check with the partners and get back to me on a date. It's now been a week and no word on interview date. Should I email back and follow up or just wait it out for a little bit?

Best bet when asked for when you are open, just give them two blocks, but then say you probably can be available at other times if that doesn't work.

"I'm available Friday from 9-2 and Monday from noon-5. However I probably can meet at another time if those times don't work for you."

I learned early on that giving people two set times works the best, since it will be a back and forth if you don't give them options.

As for the week, I'd follow up and say something about your schedule is getting busy, and you wanted to see if they can meet soon.

BCgirl

Postby BCgirl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm so glad I found this site (and this thread), because I've been beyond depressed since the bar exam. I am a foreign student, went to a okay law school but not a great one.

After I graduated, I followed my SO (a fellow law student) across the country to much bigger city. I don't know if that's the biggest mistake I've made or the best decision. My law school was a powerhouse in the state for hiring, but the state itself - well, let's just say, they're not very open to diversity at all and I was miserable there. All the firms seemed only to want to hire people from that state, or at least the region - otherwise, they weren't convinced that you would fit in the "culture" or even wanted to stay.

I did well in law school, did LR, was always in the top 10%, but I've always had a hard time finding a job. Now, in addition to worrying about jobs - I have to face an additionally bleak reality of my student visa/OPT expiring.

I've worked too damn hard to get married just to stay in this country. I just... I don't know what to do anymore. I feel completely alone, except for my SO, who also doesn't have a job and is equally as stressed. My family wants me to just go home. I don't know what to do anymore.

Sorry. I just needed to get that out.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:45 pm

BCgirl wrote:I'm so glad I found this site (and this thread), because I've been beyond depressed since the bar exam. I am a foreign student, went to a okay law school but not a great one.

After I graduated, I followed my SO (a fellow law student) across the country to much bigger city. I don't know if that's the biggest mistake I've made or the best decision. My law school was a powerhouse in the state for hiring, but the state itself - well, let's just say, they're not very open to diversity at all and I was miserable there. All the firms seemed only to want to hire people from that state, or at least the region - otherwise, they weren't convinced that you would fit in the "culture" or even wanted to stay.

I did well in law school, did LR, was always in the top 10%, but I've always had a hard time finding a job. Now, in addition to worrying about jobs - I have to face an additionally bleak reality of my student visa/OPT expiring.

I've worked too damn hard to get married just to stay in this country. I just... I don't know what to do anymore. I feel completely alone, except for my SO, who also doesn't have a job and is equally as stressed. My family wants me to just go home. I don't know what to do anymore.

Sorry to hear what you're going through. Hang in there.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:40 pm

"I appreciate that question. However, I'd rather not discuss salary at this moment as I believe it will distract us from what is really important: whether I can do a good job and if I'm a good fit. Can we talk about that now?"

jhett

Postby jhett » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:19 am

BCgirl wrote:I'm so glad I found this site (and this thread), because I've been beyond depressed since the bar exam. I am a foreign student, went to a okay law school but not a great one.

Is it possible for you and your SO to move closer to his family - do they live in a large legal market? That would probably help with the financial and emotional stress. On the flip side, are there legal employment options where your family is, for both you and your SO? Foreign employers may find a US-trained lawyer appealing for certain practice areas.

Taking a stab here, but does your username mean you're from British Columbia? I don't think it stands for Boston College because Boston is not the insular market you describe. If you are from BC, why not try Seattle as a market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Where are you guys even looking for jobs? 2015 grad here. I'm not coming across anything, my school has a handful of postings I'm eligible for. Sent out resumes to those and some from CL, but there's nothing else. Not sure what to do and feel really desperate. Graduated from low ranked school around median :cry:

BCgirl

Postby BCgirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 am

We do live in a large legal market, but the state we live in now has it's own very nice law schools. Going home is not an option unfortunately, at least, not where I'm from.

This is kind of a basic question - but, if I took the bar in one state and applied for admission there, should I even bother to apply for jobs across the country in another state?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:14 pm

BCgirl wrote:We do live in a large legal market, but the state we live in now has it's own very nice law schools. Going home is not an option unfortunately, at least, not where I'm from.

This is kind of a basic question - but, if I took the bar in one state and applied for admission there, should I even bother to apply for jobs across the country in another state?

Some jobs, but certainly not all, might give you an opportunity to sit for the bar in their state at the first opportunity. Also, might wanna consider taking the UBE to expand your options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:19 am

Hey TLS, some advice would be appreciated: I interviewed with a firm and they said they would get back to me last week. Spent the whole week checking phone and email, no answer. Should I email them today and ask what's up/confirm my interest or does radio silence mean that they've likely hired someone else?

Return to “Legal Employment”