The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do I belong here?

T14 above median
Just got no-offered by a V50 in Chicago

I want to get back in biglaw.


Are you opposed to outing the firm? I know the general rule is no advice for 0/1/2Ls but as a 3L waiting to hear about whether I got an offer from the NYC office of a Chicago V50 I'd really like to know whether I should be joining this thread soon too.


Come on man

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Hey everybody.

Do you know, generally, what happens if you accept a job with a firm and then find out later that you didn't pass the bar? Because I recently was given an offer with a firm. And I'm very worried I failed the bar. (I know this may not be the right place to ask this, and this might piss people off more than anything. If so, I'm really sorry).

But I was in a really bad place when studying for the bar, very upset and thinking I was never going to get a job and overall just depressed and miserable (also had some issues in my personal life going on as well). So I didn't study nearly as much as I should have. I basically thought to myself that it was pointless anyway, because why did it matter if I passed if I wasn't gonna be employed anywhere anyway.

Obviously this line of thinking was stupid. I'm not whining; I fully acknowledge this is my fault.

Maybe I got lucky and pulled off a pass, but I don't know. I'm not counting on it. Will an employer (it is a smaller firm) give you a second chance if you fail?

Anyway, really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I didn't feel this warranted me making an entire thread to ask (and maybe people in here will "get" how I felt during my bar studying?).

Very, very best of luck to everyone in their job search.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everybody.

Do you know, generally, what happens if you accept a job with a firm and then find out later that you didn't pass the bar? Because I recently was given an offer with a firm. And I'm very worried I failed the bar. (I know this may not be the right place to ask this, and this might piss people off more than anything. If so, I'm really sorry).

But I was in a really bad place when studying for the bar, very upset and thinking I was never going to get a job and overall just depressed and miserable (also had some issues in my personal life going on as well). So I didn't study nearly as much as I should have. I basically thought to myself that it was pointless anyway, because why did it matter if I passed if I wasn't gonna be employed anywhere anyway.

Obviously this line of thinking was stupid. I'm not whining; I fully acknowledge this is my fault.

Maybe I got lucky and pulled off a pass, but I don't know. I'm not counting on it. Will an employer (it is a smaller firm) give you a second chance if you fail?

Anyway, really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I didn't feel this warranted me making an entire thread to ask (and maybe people in here will "get" how I felt during my bar studying?).

Very, very best of luck to everyone in their job search.



It depends on the firm. Some will give you another chance and others won't. If you just got the offer you could just ask them (without any back story about how you felt during bar study or implying that you think you failed).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:58 am

T14 above median and also got no offered in a major secondary market. But I don't want to get back into biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:03 am

Sorry man. At least you learned you don't want biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:32 pm

What are yalls opinion to a judicial internship with a federal appeals court for a few months now that he bar is over with (hopefully!)? I have an offer to do it for a few months. Do you think this is wise so I can look more attractive to employers? Wanting it land a lit associate position.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Signed a K today. Out of the Vale for the clerkship period. Feels good.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Signed a K today. Out of the Vale for the clerkship period. Feels good.

FUCK YES, DUDE!!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Can this be renamed 4L/graduates? theres a ton of us now entering the Vale

zot1
Posts: 2958
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:26 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Signed a K today. Out of the Vale for the clerkship period. Feels good.


Congrats, bro!

rom10
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rom10 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:21 am

Well done, UnamSanctam!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Should I be putting my lowish gpa (3.2 at a t-14 with a 3.3 median) on my resume for government/pi jobs? I've got a one year school-funded fellowship so I'll be able to put my "real" experience on my resume, but I'm not sure when/if your gpa becomes irrelevant. Should I put it on for any private sector jobs I apply to?

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kapital98 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be putting my lowish gpa (3.2 at a t-14 with a 3.3 median) on my resume for government/pi jobs? I've got a one year school-funded fellowship so I'll be able to put my "real" experience on my resume, but I'm not sure when/if your gpa becomes irrelevant. Should I put it on for any private sector jobs I apply to?


Yes! A 3.2 is not that bad. if you don't put anything they are going to think you had a sub-2.9. It's really not a good idea unless you are well into the 2.X's.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be putting my lowish gpa (3.2 at a t-14 with a 3.3 median) on my resume for government/pi jobs? I've got a one year school-funded fellowship so I'll be able to put my "real" experience on my resume, but I'm not sure when/if your gpa becomes irrelevant. Should I put it on for any private sector jobs I apply to?


Yes. Even if it's bottom 20% like it is at my school, you'd still be better off putting it on.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:17 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I be putting my lowish gpa (3.2 at a t-14 with a 3.3 median) on my resume for government/pi jobs? I've got a one year school-funded fellowship so I'll be able to put my "real" experience on my resume, but I'm not sure when/if your gpa becomes irrelevant. Should I put it on for any private sector jobs I apply to?


Yes. Even if it's bottom 20% like it is at my school, you'd still be better off putting it on.

but this is why you should put your rank along with it. GPA alone means nothing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:27 pm

same anon as above, my school doesn't provide rank, so all I can do is put my GPA

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:same anon as above, my school doesn't provide rank, so all I can do is put my GPA

Ah got it, well in that case definitely put your GPA on there because leaving it off makes people think terrible things.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:same anon as above, my school doesn't provide rank, so all I can do is put my GPA


Yup. Luckily some employers think that a 3.2 is good or good enough. I'm still not sure whether a school not ranking is a net benefit or harm, but it probably depends on how localized your PI/govt office is. I suspect local places that don't hire from select schools a lot will be less likely to know where you stand in the class by looking at your GPA (unlike big law, for example, where there are large class sizes and firms keep tabs on how relatively good or bad a GPA is).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:20 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 am

Congrats on all of you getting jobs! Good to see there is hope! I've been ignoring the job search process while studying for the bar but am now in full swing.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:44 am

Quick question: I worked for a state Supreme Court justice during my 2L summer (it was a sort of summer clerkship program). It went well and he appeared to think highly of me, even going so far as to write letters of recommendation for me for subsequent job applications. I noticed today that he is hiring a full-time law clerk. My question is this: In my cover letter, should I address him in the first person (i.e. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with you, drafting judicial opinions . . ." vs. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with Justice X, drafting judicial opinions . . .")?

I assume I should re-craft my cover letter so it personally speaks to the justice in the first person, but I wasn't sure if that would still be considered "formal." Also, while the application materials are to be sent to the judge, I know other people are likely to be reading/reviewing my materials. Any thoughts?

Iforgotmylastone
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Iforgotmylastone » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:03 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Quick question: I worked for a state Supreme Court justice during my 2L summer (it was a sort of summer clerkship program). It went well and he appeared to think highly of me, even going so far as to write letters of recommendation for me for subsequent job applications. I noticed today that he is hiring a full-time law clerk. My question is this: In my cover letter, should I address him in the first person (i.e. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with you, drafting judicial opinions . . ." vs. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with Justice X, drafting judicial opinions . . .")?

I assume I should re-craft my cover letter so it personally speaks to the justice in the first person, but I wasn't sure if that would still be considered "formal." Also, while the application materials are to be sent to the judge, I know other people are likely to be reading/reviewing my materials. Any thoughts?



Absolutely personalize it to speak to the judge in the second person. Even though others will read it first, they will think it is strange if you don't.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Iforgotmylastone wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Quick question: I worked for a state Supreme Court justice during my 2L summer (it was a sort of summer clerkship program). It went well and he appeared to think highly of me, even going so far as to write letters of recommendation for me for subsequent job applications. I noticed today that he is hiring a full-time law clerk. My question is this: In my cover letter, should I address him in the first person (i.e. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with you, drafting judicial opinions . . ." vs. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with Justice X, drafting judicial opinions . . .")?

I assume I should re-craft my cover letter so it personally speaks to the justice in the first person, but I wasn't sure if that would still be considered "formal." Also, while the application materials are to be sent to the judge, I know other people are likely to be reading/reviewing my materials. Any thoughts?



Absolutely personalize it to speak to the judge in the second person. Even though others will read it first, they will think it is strange if you don't.


Alright, that's what I was thinking--just wanted some confirmation. Thanks!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:56 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Iforgotmylastone wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Quick question: I worked for a state Supreme Court justice during my 2L summer (it was a sort of summer clerkship program). It went well and he appeared to think highly of me, even going so far as to write letters of recommendation for me for subsequent job applications. I noticed today that he is hiring a full-time law clerk. My question is this: In my cover letter, should I address him in the first person (i.e. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with you, drafting judicial opinions . . ." vs. "last summer I had the opportunity to work with Justice X, drafting judicial opinions . . .")?

I assume I should re-craft my cover letter so it personally speaks to the justice in the first person, but I wasn't sure if that would still be considered "formal." Also, while the application materials are to be sent to the judge, I know other people are likely to be reading/reviewing my materials. Any thoughts?



Absolutely personalize it to speak to the judge in the second person. Even though others will read it first, they will think it is strange if you don't.


Alright, that's what I was thinking--just wanted some confirmation. Thanks!


I'm sure you've thought about this, but IME judges often don't hire their former interns as a general practice. Applying to a judge you've interned for who has that policy could make the professional relationship/reference awkward when they must decline. So just make sure you've cleared that its acceptable for you to apply given your previous affiliation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Officially in the Vale. Terrible grades from a midwest TT. Hoping to find some small firm job (criminal, estate planning, consumer BK, family, PI) job in the southern Chicago area. Unfortunately most of the firms in the area don't seem to advertise clerk positions if they hire at all.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.