The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rom10

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rom10 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Time to come to terms with it... I'm here. This year will be hell, but there's no way around it.

MichelleMichelle

Postby MichelleMichelle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:39 pm

New to this forum and could use some advice. I am a 2015 T6 grad with grades around median. I have been sending out applications non-stop for months, and have gotten nothing. I have a consulting-related fellowship for next year, but I am still interested in working for a law firm and so I am concerned that doing the non-law fellowship will permanently hurt me. The work for the fellowship is interesting, but I'm afraid that it will ultimately be more harmful than beneficial. Has anyone heard of someone who did a non-law job for a year, then returned successfully?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 am

MichelleMichelle wrote:New to this forum and could use some advice. I am a 2015 T6 grad with grades around median. I have been sending out applications non-stop for months, and have gotten nothing. I have a consulting-related fellowship for next year, but I am still interested in working for a law firm and so I am concerned that doing the non-law fellowship will permanently hurt me. The work for the fellowship is interesting, but I'm afraid that it will ultimately be more harmful than beneficial. Has anyone heard of someone who did a non-law job for a year, then returned successfully?

Yes, there are people that do this. It makes it harder to get a job, but IMO not as hard as not being employed at all for a year would.

Basically, I would put this low down on the list of jobs you should take, but definitely keep it as an option.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:47 am

BlueLotus wrote:Just set up an informational interview with a small firm attorney doing SS disability. Really stoked. I am recovering well from the devastating blow last Friday. :D

That's great!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:19 pm

All of my experience thus far has been direct legal aid to indigent clients. I have an informational interview with a SS disability attorney at a small firm. I have done SS disability work in a non profit legal services setting. I really want this firm though. Any tips to prep for this interview? I've definitely read the firm website inside and out, but anything else? This is a great lead, so I am a bit nervous!

MichelleMichelle

Postby MichelleMichelle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
MichelleMichelle wrote:New to this forum and could use some advice. I am a 2015 T6 grad with grades around median. I have been sending out applications non-stop for months, and have gotten nothing. I have a consulting-related fellowship for next year, but I am still interested in working for a law firm and so I am concerned that doing the non-law fellowship will permanently hurt me. The work for the fellowship is interesting, but I'm afraid that it will ultimately be more harmful than beneficial. Has anyone heard of someone who did a non-law job for a year, then returned successfully?

Yes, there are people that do this. It makes it harder to get a job, but IMO not as hard as not being employed at all for a year would.

Basically, I would put this low down on the list of jobs you should take, but definitely keep it as an option.

Thanks, that was kind of my intuition on it. The problem is that the fellowship starts in less than a month and requires me to make a big move (sorry to be so cryptic-- if I reveal much more I would definitely out myself). But I still am waiting to hear from other job postings that are really well-aligned with my experience/interests. So I've been calling recruiting managers to try to get a sense of timelines/prod them to give me a definitive answer. If they know that it's a no, why not just say that? So much about this is frustrating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:41 am

2014 grad from t20 here. after being no offered by my 2L SA for economic reasons i struggled to get back on my feet. passed the bar my first try and couldn't find anything worthwhile for almost 8 months (did volunteer work that didn't really help any).

made the decision not to give up on practicing law and started working for a small firm paying minimum wage (literally). after working there for three months (and to the firm's credit, they allowed me to write several important motions and propound/respond to discovery, etc. with little supervision after i proved myself), i just landed a job with another small firm in my preferred area of law. the pay is not ideal (~$60k), but it's livable. i'm not satisfied (not even all that happy), but i'm willing to continue working my ass off to hopefully get back to where i want to be.

to anyone who's in the same boat, or to any 2015 grads that are struggling like i was a year ago, i just want to say that i don't know if there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but always, always, always keep your head up. and grind like hell. who knows? it might just pay off in the end.

Iforgotmylastone

Postby Iforgotmylastone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:08 am

Okay guys, after panicking that I was not going to be able to find anything, I finally got my act together and just emailed everyone I knew. It took a month and most were rejections, but I have three interviews coming up in the next week (Big and Midlaw on the West Coast). It looks like there are a number of firms who are looking right now, even for entry level people, though the competition seems pretty stiff.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to anyone who's in the same boat, or to any 2015 grads that are struggling like i was a year ago, i just want to say that i don't know if there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but always, always, always keep your head up. and grind like hell. who knows? it might just pay off in the end.

This is good to hear! :) I have friends from the class of 2014 who are still looking for jobs. It's tough out there...

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2014 grad from t20 here. after being no offered by my 2L SA for economic reasons i struggled to get back on my feet. passed the bar my first try and couldn't find anything worthwhile for almost 8 months (did volunteer work that didn't really help any).

made the decision not to give up on practicing law and started working for a small firm paying minimum wage (literally). after working there for three months (and to the firm's credit, they allowed me to write several important motions and propound/respond to discovery, etc. with little supervision after i proved myself), i just landed a job with another small firm in my preferred area of law. the pay is not ideal (~$60k), but it's livable. i'm not satisfied (not even all that happy), but i'm willing to continue working my ass off to hopefully get back to where i want to be.

to anyone who's in the same boat, or to any 2015 grads that are struggling like i was a year ago, i just want to say that i don't know if there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but always, always, always keep your head up. and grind like hell. who knows? it might just pay off in the end.

This is the exact same boat i was in. 2013 grad who took 9 months to get an attorney position, switched to a field i did not like and for not great pay, then, about 6 months after that, I landed my dream job. Just kept my eyes open and was patient and thankful for the position i did have and never took it for granted. So to you, also keep grinding, because there is a light!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm

horriblegb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2014 grad from t20 here. after being no offered by my 2L SA for economic reasons i struggled to get back on my feet. passed the bar my first try and couldn't find anything worthwhile for almost 8 months (did volunteer work that didn't really help any).

This is the exact same boat i was in. 2013 grad who took 9 months to get an attorney position, switched to a field i did not like and for not great pay, then, about 6 months after that, I landed my dream job. Just kept my eyes open and was patient and thankful for the position i did have and never took it for granted. So to you, also keep grinding, because there is a light!

Is your job legally related / did having a JD help? Just curious what other options there are.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

Is your job legally related / did having a JD help? Just curious what other options there are.

My current position? Yes sorry I did not make that clear I am an attorney for a Federal Agency. Sorry I could not be more helpful there!

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:12 pm

horriblegb wrote:

This.

Also a 2013 grad, knew I had missed the biglaw boat, passed the bar on the first try, then got a job working for a solo doing shitlaw for 9 months, being paid 20/hr. Networked my way into an inhouse gig where I am currently at. Even though that shitlaw job sucked, I gained valuable experience going to court, drafting discovery requests and motions, and other litigation skills.

Keep hustling.

Lawskoolnurd

Postby Lawskoolnurd » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:34 pm

You're coming from a T6 and can't get an interview?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Lawskoolnurd wrote:

This is not the thread for this. Stop.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:27 pm

yeah wtf

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Lawskoolnurd wrote:

Get out. Now.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but consulting is a great field. Don't be surprised if you decide not to come back to law! Friends of mine working in consulting right now tell me they are just going gangbusters and are really enjoying it.

That said, if you're a T6 grad I would think you could make the transition back to law. I would definitely pursue clerkships since they seem more accepting of "non traditional' paths in my experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Do I belong here?

T14 above median
Just got no-offered by a V50 in Chicago

I want to get back in biglaw.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I belong here?

T14 above median

Cold offer or true no offer? Hustle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:01 pm

True no offer.

So I have to massmail every big firm known to man?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:

T14 above median

Cold offer or true no offer? Hustle.

Also might be important if it's a firm that has the reputation of doing this to people (Winston) and you were a part of a larger group of no offer or if you were the only one no offered. Neither is great, but at least you could say they no offered 1/3 of our class as opposed to it was just me. What happened here? Is there anything you can do to try and spin it as firm economics.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:07 pm

There is.

The reason given was there wasn't enough work for me. Is that the best reason to give for a no-offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is.

The reason given was there wasn't enough work for me. Is that the best reason to give for a no-offer?

That's about the best you can hope for. Is there a partner who you did work for who could be helpful as a reference? Also I'm guessing if there wasn't room for you that you were primarily interested in litigation. I'd recommend having a sudden discovery that you love transactional work over the course of the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:39 pm

T14 above median

Are you opposed to outing the firm? I know the general rule is no advice for 0/1/2Ls but as a 3L waiting to hear about whether I got an offer from the NYC office of a Chicago V50 I'd really like to know whether I should be joining this thread soon too.

Return to “Legal Employment”