The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kapital98

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Congrats to everyone with good news!

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:22 pm

s1m4 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
Its been over a month since I learned that I passed the bar,

Are you an attorney yet?

Yes, im an attorney.

Around when did you swear in?

Assuming that it was only like 1-2 weeks ago, I'd just take it easy for a minute. You said you spoke to your supervising partner three weeks ago and they'd get back back to you. I'd talk to them again at the end of next week (explaining that you have a really tight budget what with loan payments and all), and if there's still nothing, then yeah I'd definitely start looking elsewhere. Though yeah, I'd also just start keeping an eye out on job postings.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Lwoods wrote:Congrats Rink & Pleasye!!!

Pleasye--not sure where you prefer to be geographically, but if you'd like SD better than the city where you got an offer, I can keep my eyes and ears open for lateral opportunities down the line. Congrats again!

Thank you for the offer! I really want LA and this firm is just not in a part of LA I want to be in ha (I know, first world problem).

Congrats Rink!

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:00 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
Its been over a month since I learned that I passed the bar,

Are you an attorney yet?

Yes, im an attorney.

Around when did you swear in?

Assuming that it was only like 1-2 weeks ago, I'd just take it easy for a minute. You said you spoke to your supervising partner three weeks ago and they'd get back back to you. I'd talk to them again at the end of next week (explaining that you have a really tight budget what with loan payments and all), and if there's still nothing, then yeah I'd definitely start looking elsewhere. Though yeah, I'd also just start keeping an eye out on job postings.

Thanks for the feedback - its been almost three weeks since I was sworn in. My supervising partner is a bit difficult to reach. Would it be bad practice to knock on another partner's door to speak about it? Another issue for me is I was hired 9-5 as a clerk, but im putting in way more than that on occassion, including working two weekends previously.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:36 pm

s1m4 wrote:Thanks for the feedback - its been almost three weeks since I was sworn in. My supervising partner is a bit difficult to reach. Would it be bad practice to knock on another partner's door to speak about it? Another issue for me is I was hired 9-5 as a clerk, but im putting in way more than that on occassion, including working two weekends previously.

I'd email your supervisor first, asking if they can set a time to talk with you next week about your salary as an associate, again explaining that you're currently on a really tight budget what with your loans and all. If they say no, then I'd probably take that as a sign that they don't need/want you as an associate. If you really think it's just your supervising partner who's being a shitty supervisor and that the firm does want you as an associate, then I'd talk to a partner that you're friendly with and explain the whole situation.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Some tentative good news to add to the pile...one of the recipients of the school PI fellowship that I didn't get back in April got a real job and turned down their fellowship award, and it was offered to me!!!! I still have to see if the host employer I'd lined up (prosecutor's office in Portland area, where I have moved back to) is still able to host another fellow (or maybe the school could give me a week to scrape something else up really fast), and it's still contingent on passing the bar, but I'm feeling something other than negative and hopeless about my job prospects for the first time since I was pretty well rocked by not getting the fellowship.

I have a Tuesday meeting with the hiring person with whom I did NOT work to arrange the fellowship to begin with (he was out of town). I never interviewed or anything with anyone originally, so maybe he wants to take a step back and do that before re-committing to hosting me as a fellow this time. Understandable, but ugghhh stress.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:59 pm

s1m4 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Well if you're already licensed and they're not making moves to bump you up - I think it's time to start quietly looking for another position. Hopefully things work out with your current firm, but you should be protecting yourself here too.

Thank you - im going to start looking for other work. Should I still actively seek an internal raise by knocking on a different partners door and trying to speak with him about the situation, or are things like these only really discussed at reviews etc?

Ideally I would like to remain with this firm - I really like the niche area of law that I practice there and would be hardpressed to find anything similar entry level at a different firm (securities).

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:Hey all - I was wondering if you could help me out with some wisdom:

I got a job at a firm after graduation and was offered a low hourly rate and verbally promised that I would be promoted to a salary position with substantially higher pay upon passing the bar.

Its been over a month since I learned that I passed the bar, but have had no movements in terms of a permanent offer. Ive spoken to the supervising partner about three weeks ago who told me that it would eventually happen but im getting to the point where I really need to start coming up with a plan to pay down my debt, and im currently just barely surviving. Should I speak with the supervising partner of the firm? Can anyone recommend a way to do this? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thank you

Not sure if this will help but a friend used to be in (not exactly the same but) a similar situation. I believe he was decently salaried as a law clerk but really wanted an actual attorney position after passing the bar. I suggested that he speak to some members of the firm (including his supervisor), but he felt like he was getting squeezed out (less dependency and work). He ended up bouncing to a completely different area of law, just so he could be an actual attorney.

Not sure if you missed this post. It's more relevant to your situation now. The person in my story seems more pleased than he was at least his old job even if it pays less (I think) and he's busier.

s1m4

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls

Postby s1m4 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:37 pm

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Well if you're already licensed and they're not making moves to bump you up - I think it's time to start quietly looking for another position. Hopefully things work out with your current firm, but you should be protecting yourself here too.

Thank you - im going to start looking for other work. Should I still actively seek an internal raise by knocking on a different partners door and trying to speak with him about the situation, or are things like these only really discussed at reviews etc?

Ideally I would like to remain with this firm - I really like the niche area of law that I practice there and would be hardpressed to find anything similar entry level at a different firm (securities).

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:Hey all - I was wondering if you could help me out with some wisdom:

I got a job at a firm after graduation and was offered a low hourly rate and verbally promised that I would be promoted to a salary position with substantially higher pay upon passing the bar.

Its been over a month since I learned that I passed the bar, but have had no movements in terms of a permanent offer. Ive spoken to the supervising partner about three weeks ago who told me that it would eventually happen but im getting to the point where I really need to start coming up with a plan to pay down my debt, and im currently just barely surviving. Should I speak with the supervising partner of the firm? Can anyone recommend a way to do this? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thank you

Not sure if this will help but a friend used to be in (not exactly the same but) a similar situation. I believe he was decently salaried as a law clerk but really wanted an actual attorney position after passing the bar. I suggested that he speak to some members of the firm (including his supervisor), but he felt like he was getting squeezed out (less dependency and work). He ended up bouncing to a completely different area of law, just so he could be an actual attorney.

Not sure if you missed this post. It's more relevant to your situation now. The person in my story seems more pleased than he was at least his old job even if it pays less (I think) and he's busier.

Thanks for the advice - im more interested in figuring out a strategy to getting a raise at my current firm. I will speak to another partner tomorrow or next week - I doubt I will get fired for asking, and if Im not getting promoted Id rather know asap - every week that I wait im losing a good amount of potential money.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Lurker here just posting that I got an offer! It's a PD pos. in a Big 10 state and is contingent on passing that state's bar. Just stoked on getting it especially since I thought I had all but struck out on PD hiring (EJW, direct mailing, government website).

Good luck to everyone! Keep hustling!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:19 am

This is my first venture into this thread, so my apologies if I'm doing anything incorrectly.

I had a position that I thought was all but in the bag but it turns out that wasn't the case. I don't really have anyone to blame but myself but it is a little bit of a shock. I take the bar in July, but what advice would you give to someone starting over from scratch basically, because I've thought I was pretty much going in this direction for about a year now. Obviously I may need lots of advice, but I'm just talking about maybe the first step. Or first couple of things I should consider.

Thanks a ton!

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is my first venture into this thread, so my apologies if I'm doing anything incorrectly.

I had a position that I thought was all but in the bag but it turns out that wasn't the case. I don't really have anyone to blame but myself but it is a little bit of a shock. I take the bar in July, but what advice would you give to someone starting over from scratch basically, because I've thought I was pretty much going in this direction for about a year now. Obviously I may need lots of advice, but I'm just talking about maybe the first step. Or first couple of things I should consider.

Thanks a ton!

Is there a particular practice area you're interested in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Transactional, but I don't want to pigeon hole myself much since it is so late in the game and I've gotta find something, even if it isn't ideal.

3Lmao

Postby 3Lmao » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:48 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:Lurker here just posting that I got an offer! It's a PD pos. in a Big 10 state and is contingent on passing that state's bar. Just stoked on getting it especially since I thought I had all but struck out on PD hiring (EJW, direct mailing, government website).

Good luck to everyone! Keep hustling!

that's awesome! congratulations. i like hearing good news. any other lurkers please share if you get something. i think it gives the rest of us hope!

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Just wanted to update you guys:

I was speaking with a different firm partner in regard to a work related matter. At the end of the convo I brought up my employment status with the firm moving forward, and briefly explained the situation - I was then told I would receive a formal permanent written offer early next week. The conversation was very friendly - This is a huge weight off my chest - I'm glad I opened up the communication with a different partner. Otherwise, who knows how much longer I would have been in limbo. :D

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:09 pm

s1m4 wrote:I was then told I would receive a formal permanent written offer early next week. The conversation was very friendly - This is a huge weight off my chest - I'm glad I opened up the communication with a different partner. Otherwise, who knows how much longer I would have been in limbo. :D

Well, a couple days anyway.

Congrats!

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Pleasye wrote:
BVest wrote:Congrats Pleasye! Is it one you're happy with?

Thank you everyone :D. Yes I'm happy with it! They do what I want to do and pay decently. Location is not my fave and they're on the smaller side of what I wanted BUT practice area kind of trumps all for me. I haven't accepted yet but I'm 99% going to.

Congrats! Don't be afraid to negotiate a bit on the salary, it worked for me.

Edit: Unless the salary is what you hoped for in the first place, of course.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Officially out of the Vale.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Congrats! I take it you accepted the offer.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:28 pm

BVest wrote:Congrats! I take it you accepted the offer.

Thanks! Yeah, I went back and forth on it a lot, but it would have been dumb not to take it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:18 am

First time poster and long time lurker. Apologies in advance for the anxiety-ridden mental walkabout.

I interviewed for a gov position (AKA the dream job) a couple of weeks ago, and I am struggling with whether to follow-up and see if decisions had been reached re: 2nd round interviews. As background, I was told that the interview pool was small (less than 15 applicants), there are multiple positions available (3 or so), and they intended the hiring process to be fast (offers out by first week of July). I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to be interviewed and 1st rounds likely wrapped up over a week ago, based on the conversations I had with the interviewers.

I want to inquire about next steps in the process to ease my anxiety, but I also don't want to bug them if decisions haven't been made yet. I think I made it very clear in both my interview and follow-up thank yous that I want this job. So do I wait a bit longer? Or follow-up with the individual who scheduled the interviews?

In the meantime, I've been slogging through other resume mailings and job applications, but even this seems pointless because if offered this position I would accept in a heartbeat. Then again, my clerkship ends August and I don't have a job so I need to keep cranking.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Some tentative good news to add to the pile...one of the recipients of the school PI fellowship that I didn't get back in April got a real job and turned down their fellowship award, and it was offered to me!!!! I still have to see if the host employer I'd lined up (prosecutor's office in Portland area, where I have moved back to) is still able to host another fellow (or maybe the school could give me a week to scrape something else up really fast), and it's still contingent on passing the bar, but I'm feeling something other than negative and hopeless about my job prospects for the first time since I was pretty well rocked by not getting the fellowship.

I have a Tuesday meeting with the hiring person with whom I did NOT work to arrange the fellowship to begin with (he was out of town). I never interviewed or anything with anyone originally, so maybe he wants to take a step back and do that before re-committing to hosting me as a fellow this time. Understandable, but ugghhh stress.

Meeting went fine and he says they're happy to host me. He's double-checking with the boss to make sure hosting me as a fellow is still approved, but it looks like (contingent on passing the bar) that I'll be a prosecutor for a year! The fellowship is $50k+cost of health insurance.
I haven't been this happy in...ages.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First time poster and long time lurker. Apologies in advance for the anxiety-ridden mental walkabout.

I interviewed for a gov position (AKA the dream job) a couple of weeks ago, and I am struggling with whether to follow-up and see if decisions had been reached re: 2nd round interviews. As background, I was told that the interview pool was small (less than 15 applicants), there are multiple positions available (3 or so), and they intended the hiring process to be fast (offers out by first week of July). I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to be interviewed and 1st rounds likely wrapped up over a week ago, based on the conversations I had with the interviewers.

I want to inquire about next steps in the process to ease my anxiety, but I also don't want to bug them if decisions haven't been made yet. I think I made it very clear in both my interview and follow-up thank yous that I want this job. So do I wait a bit longer? Or follow-up with the individual who scheduled the interviews?

In the meantime, I've been slogging through other resume mailings and job applications, but even this seems pointless because if offered this position I would accept in a heartbeat. Then again, my clerkship ends August and I don't have a job so I need to keep cranking.

I think it's fine to check in.

Don't stop hustling until you've accepted an offer, though.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:54 pm

Rinkrave.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:18 pm

Yayyy Rink!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:19 pm

BVest wrote:Rinkrave.

:lol: Yay rink!

Return to “Legal Employment”