The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MNbound

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by MNbound » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:55 pm

I talked with my firm about the compliance offer (job 2) and they said that they wanted to keep me at the firm. Although they couldn't guarantee it or give me an offer today, they said I would become an associate at the firm assuming I pass the bar. I decided to turn down the compliance job as a result. Thanks for the advice!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Hey rinkrat--just saw an entry level public interest posting in the state you expect to be barred in. I'd be happy to PM you more details if you want! :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:00 pm

6 months, 3 rounds of interviews, and 12 attorneys later...was told today that I would not be hired for my dream job at a large law firm because the firm decided to put "hiring for the position on hold indefinitely". Man, what a tough loss. I am surprised they waited so long (nearly 2.5 months) after the final round to tell me this. Good luck to all of you still out there. Have to keep up the faith, somehow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 pm

To the Anon above - that's rough, but at least it sounds like it's them, not you. Pretty rigorous interview process.

Here's my situation, newly entering the Vale here, but this problem, which I tried in its own thread, but is probably more appropriate here:

Offered a job at a small-town ADA, work to begin next month BEFORE the bar and therefore during bar prep. Low pay, less than $50,000.

I don't really want to do criminal law, although I know the litigation experience is great. I do NOT want to have to go into criminal defense to escape into the private sector later.

SO - do I take the job and try to segue into firm work (civil law stuff, contracts, transactions, admin law, etc.) a couple years from now after heavy court room experience OR do I keep PTing at a firm that has said they can't afford to hire me on a permanent basis until I can find a private sector civil law firm job, hopefully/probably after bar results are published?

aunt_pearl

New

Post by aunt_pearl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi,
When mass mailing, should you only mass mail firms that are hiring associates with out experience? I feel like I see a lot of job postings on firm websites that say "the ideal candidate will have 2-6 years experience" or something. Should I still mass mail?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:10 pm

aunt_pearl wrote:Hi,
When mass mailing, should you only mass mail firms that are hiring associates with out experience? I feel like I see a lot of job postings on firm websites that say "the ideal candidate will have 2-6 years experience" or something. Should I still mass mail?
Mass mail everybody.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:22 pm

What about when a firm has openings in several different offices (more than one of which you have ties to)?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:04 pm

BVest wrote:
Mass mail everybody.
This. And that's everybody, not just firms with listed openings. Apply to every place you'd like to work.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Lwoods wrote:
BVest wrote:
Mass mail everybody.
This. And that's everybody, not just firms with listed openings. Apply to every place you'd like to work.
And places you don't even know enough about to have ruled out.
Anonymous User wrote:What about when a firm has openings in several different offices (more than one of which you have ties to)?
Depends on if all apps are going to one person or if they have a different recruiting/hiring contact for each office. If the contacts are different for each city, hit them all. If it's one person, I feel like you need to pick the city that (a) you want most or (b) you feel you have the best shot at, and go for that. Reasonable people may disagree though.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aunt_pearl

New

Post by aunt_pearl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:51 pm

Lwoods wrote:
BVest wrote:
Mass mail everybody.
Hi, thanks for the advice.
I'm a little concerned for this upcoming summer. I will be working at a Big 4 this summer which does not have a high offer rate, so while I will be mass mailing err'ybody, I'm concerned about taking time off to meet with firms when there is little chance of getting a job.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Offered a job at a small-town ADA, work to begin next month BEFORE the bar and therefore during bar prep. Low pay, less than $50,000.
I don't know what other people are going to say but here's my take: If you work in a small town it's easy to get to know everybody. There might only be ~50 people working in your entire county bar association. It's not impossible to lateral out of criminal work into private civil work. It's sure not ideal but it's possible.

I work with one person who was an ADA for 4 years in my town. Then she lateraled to Legal Aid and has been here for 4 years. It probably helped that she has roots in the community and seems to know everyone. It's a really small bar association.

With that said: It's obviously not ideal. You just have to consider how difficult it's going to be to secure a full time position with a private sector job. Two years of doing what you hate is no fun either. Tough choices...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:03 pm

aunt_pearl wrote: I'm a little concerned for this upcoming summer. I will be working at a Big 4 this summer which does not have a high offer rate, so while I will be mass mailing err'ybody, I'm concerned about taking time off to meet with firms when there is little chance of getting a job.
If they meet with you, there's more than little chance of getting a job. Firms don't meet with people they wouldn't consider offering.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the Anon above - that's rough, but at least it sounds like it's them, not you. Pretty rigorous interview process.

Here's my situation, newly entering the Vale here, but this problem, which I tried in its own thread, but is probably more appropriate here:

Offered a job at a small-town ADA, work to begin next month BEFORE the bar and therefore during bar prep. Low pay, less than $50,000.

I don't really want to do criminal law, although I know the litigation experience is great. I do NOT want to have to go into criminal defense to escape into the private sector later.

SO - do I take the job and try to segue into firm work (civil law stuff, contracts, transactions, admin law, etc.) a couple years from now after heavy court room experience OR do I keep PTing at a firm that has said they can't afford to hire me on a permanent basis until I can find a private sector civil law firm job, hopefully/probably after bar results are published?
You take the ADA position. Experience is experience. You will get immediate trial experience which you would never get at a large law firm. With ADA on your resume, after 2 years, you will be eligible for your State Assistant Attorney positions. You will also be competitive for federal gigs with the government experience. Even if you don't want to do criminal, this isn't a life sentence. Criminal attorneys lateral to civil firms all the time. This is a guaranteed offer. You will get benefits, vacation time, and will make more than your part time gig. You can always take this position and continue to look or at the very least, work for a year, then apply to civil firm jobs. This is not a job market where you can be picky. Take the offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:53 pm

BVest wrote:
Depends on if all apps are going to one person or if they have a different recruiting/hiring contact for each office. If the contacts are different for each city, hit them all. If it's one person, I feel like you need to pick the city that (a) you want most or (b) you feel you have the best shot at, and go for that. Reasonable people may disagree though.
If there is only one contact for applications at a firm in different cities, I definitely agree to pick one and go for it. It doesn't send the best message when you say "hell, I'll work anywhere" with your application right off the bat (even though that is the boat most of us are in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Ok, so this is anon poster who asked about the small-town ADA. To update, I am taking the job, so I guess I'm out of the Vale. Ambivalent about it, but just gotta hustle and not stay there too long. I will try to use the experience and networking to either transition to a local firm or a firm in the large city which is my state's capital OR try the federal job thing one poster recommended. Heck, maybe even try for JAG - I think that'd be an awesome way to serve my country AND do a really cool job (I've dealt with military law a bit before and realize it's not as glamorous as TV, but still cool)

I think my plan will be to apply for a Taxation LLM program in October and also try to sit for a neighboring state's bar next cycle to expand my reach. Also, in said state there is a legal aid position that all but said they'd hire me but it was too late to switch states. A year of prosecuting would be great prep for representing poor folks if they'd forgive me for working for the "dark side" as they no doubt see it. It's tempting to start looking for firm jobs after getting my bar results back, but I guess that'd be bad form. :oops:

So basically, thanks for the advice and good luck to all those still looking - good things pop up all the time.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Is there any way to answer the "what ties do you have to the area" question and not get yourself immediately denied when you have absolutely no connections to the area? If you're just applying because you like the area and want a job anywhere you can get?

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:39 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Is there any way to answer the "what ties do you have to the area" question and not get yourself immediately denied when you have absolutely no connections to the area? If you're just applying because you like the area and want a job anywhere you can get?
A lot of people make up significant others "in/from the area."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Throwaway165688

New

Post by Throwaway165688 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:00 pm

If you apply for a job that has a specific closing day ("applications accepted until June 1, 2015"), how long do you wait before you accept that you're not being called for an interview? Do you send an email of continued interest in the position after a certain amount of time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Can somebody give me some advice on this.

I recently graduated law school (and am unemployed) and my school allows one retroactive pass-fail option which I haven't used. I could use it on my lowest grade during my last semester (which was a B) and that would inflate my overall cumulative GPA a tiny bit (3.279ish to 3.294).

Is it worth it to do this? I'm guessing no. Because employers will probably be able to tell the grade was retroactively changed and will maybe assume the grade was worse than it was. And the bump in GPA is negligible. But then again, 3.29 is a lot closer to 3.3 than 3.279.

But I have to decide soon so please somebody give me some advice since the school itself is worthless when it comes to giving advice about this.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:26 pm

What's the downside? I would definitely do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:32 pm

BVest wrote:What's the downside? I would definitely do this.
I guess the downside is that employers look at my transcript and are able to tell the grade was retroactively changed to pass/fail, then assume that I got a C- or something when I actually only got a B.

But thinking about it more, you are probably right. The first thing they'll look at is probably my GPA, and I don't think they are going to overanalyze my transcript.

Edit -- that is, if you are replying to me and not the person above me

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BVest wrote:What's the downside? I would definitely do this.
I guess the downside is that employers look at my transcript and are able to tell the grade was retroactively changed to pass/fail, then assume that I got a C- or something when I actually only got a B.

But thinking about it more, you are probably right. The first thing they'll look at is probably my GPA, and I don't think they are going to overanalyze my transcript.

Edit -- that is, if you are replying to me and not the person above me
If it shows that it was retrospective, I might be a little more reluctant. Does it actually do that? That wasn't entirely clear from your previous post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:44 pm

BVest wrote:
If it shows that it was retrospective, I might be a little more reluctant. Does it actually do that? That wasn't entirely clear from your previous post.
No, it just will show that I passed the class.

I guess the only downside is employers seeing that the class is one that is not generally taken pass/fail or something, and then inferring that it was changed retroactively. But I really doubt they will spend that much time thinking about it.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BVest wrote:
No, it just will show that I passed the class.

I guess the only downside is employers seeing that the class is one that is not generally taken pass/fail or something, and then inferring that it was changed retroactively. But I really doubt they will spend that much time thinking about it.
How many schools even allow retroactive pass-fails? I doubt to many people will infer that, if they even get so far as looking at your transcript.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can somebody give me some advice on this.

I recently graduated law school (and am unemployed) and my school allows one retroactive pass-fail option which I haven't used. I could use it on my lowest grade during my last semester (which was a B) and that would inflate my overall cumulative GPA a tiny bit (3.279ish to 3.294).

Is it worth it to do this? I'm guessing no. Because employers will probably be able to tell the grade was retroactively changed and will maybe assume the grade was worse than it was. And the bump in GPA is negligible. But then again, 3.29 is a lot closer to 3.3 than 3.279.

But I have to decide soon so please somebody give me some advice since the school itself is worthless when it comes to giving advice about this.

Do it. A 3.29 can be legitimately rounded up to a 3.3 in casual conversation or for an informational interview whereas a 3.279 cannot.

FWIW, I went ahead and did it for a 0.002 bump that makes my gpa seem closer to the next tenth and it isn't even a 3.x9.

EDIT: also know of plenty of people who pass-failed B+s in doctrinal courses and wasn't asked any questions at interviews, so no worries on that front.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”