The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sad news today fellow vale members; received a clerkship rejection from an interview that I thought I nailed. The judge wrote a personalized and very thoughtful rejection letter, but it's still a rejection letter.

In brighter news, I have another firm interview on Friday, my second in a week! I'm now starting to ponder what the fuck I'm going to do if I graduate without a job. Forsake law entirely? Follow through on the barzam I signed up for? I'm not sure how I want to proceed.

There are still judges looking? Damn...

gl on your interview(s)!

Ya, I'm still waiting to hear back from one and applied to a few more.

Screener went well. It's a good regional firm, so that would be a sweet gig to nab.

I swear I'm going to sound crazy, but I had an awesome idea for a fund/investment today. I'm going to do research and put a data set together after I finish exams. If the data turns out positive, I'm not going to take the bar and gonna focus on the fund idea. Talked to a i-banker friend of mine and he's with me and wants to go through the data I compile. Post law school and pre bar is a perfect time for me to pursue a potentially hare-brained business idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am

kalvano wrote:For bar exam prep: I got my Themis books and they are extremely comprehensive. I have no reason to think I will not receive more than enough information to pass the bar.

BarBri can't possibly be worth it if you have to pay out of pocket.

I was really thinking about Themis for my state, until I saw this:

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-whol ... ools-joke/

Not sure I want to take any chances ITE....so I think its down to Barbri or Kaplan for me.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:For bar exam prep: I got my Themis books and they are extremely comprehensive. I have no reason to think I will not receive more than enough information to pass the bar.

BarBri can't possibly be worth it if you have to pay out of pocket.

I was really thinking about Themis for my state, until I saw this:

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-whol ... ools-joke/

Not sure I want to take any chances ITE....so I think its down to Barbri or Kaplan for me.

They're testing the same material the same way right? Just a higher passing score now? I don't think that gives BarBri an inherent advantage.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:21 am

Just posted on my Symplicity bros:

DESCRIPTION
The Charlotte Office of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP is seeking 3L candidates for its 2013 First Year Associate Class. We look for students with strong academic performance, initiative, self-confidence, team orientation, enthusiasm and an interest in transactional law. Above all, Cadwalader rewards those who exemplify excellence, creativity, responsiveness, and unwavering client commitment.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Two new postings from my school's Symplicity for you corporate bros:

Pillsbury Winthrop LLP: The San Francisco office is seeking a junior associate in its Corporate & Securities practice section to join as a member of the Class of 2013. This position will have broad exposure to both public and private companies, securities offerings, venture capital financings, compliance under the Securities Act of 1933 and Securities Exchange Act of 1934, general corporate formation, governance and compliance matters, acquisitions, mergers, and debt and equity financing transactions. The candidate should have a strong, relevant academic background along with exceptional research and writing skills.
J.D. from the United States is required.

Debevoise & Plimpton LLP: Banking and Financial Institutions Junior Associate (Washington DC): Practice includes representation of banks and other financial institutions, as well as private equity funds and other entities that invest in banking firms, with a particular emphasis on domestic and cross-border bank regulatory, transactional and examination matters. The practice advises financial institutions on various regulatory issues relating to the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, and lawyers in the group represent clients before a range of federal agencies, including the Federal Reserve, FDIC, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey bros, lurked, posted on my real account in this thread, but have to go anon on this one. Slowly realizing that I'm going to go from top 15% first year to outside top 33% when I graduate unemployed in three weeks. Law review doesn't mean shit if you don't have the grades to go along with it. How long do I wait before throwing in the towel and finding an alternative career? I'm taking the bar in Illinois (home state) for some reason, despite not being able to get a sniff from a law firm there since 2L oci.

Seriously, what are the other options out there? I have IRS chief counsel intern experience, but no accounting firm even responds to me. Is it possible to sell my JD with a 4.0 finance undergrad GPA from a shiTTTTTTT school (I actually had a prick law school alum ask me how I got into the law school coming from my undergrad) and 780 math score to banks, consulting firms or anything similar?

Also, just to vent, I hate people that say live life with no regrets. I went to a big state school for undergrad over UChicago (offer) and possibly ivy schools (recruited me for sports that I didn't follow through with), hated said state school, and went to a shit school near my parents. I wish someone would have told my naive 17 year old self that the brand name on the resume makes life so much easier, then I'd never be in this fucking hellhole of law school and debt. Three years later, and I don't even know how to be a lawyer, only "how to think like one." I came to law school because I was sick of living at my parents and mowing baseball fields after college, and now I am about to return to where I started, just with 150k more debt.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Damn dude, are you me? Similar (but worse) grade drop, no job, law review, taking bar in Illinois. I haven't given up yet, I just sent out like a dozen resumes today, but it's getting fucking dismal. Keep trying. Personally I wouldn't be resigned to finding an alternative career until after the bar. That whole 'firms hire after you pass the bar' thing is real right?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Damn dude, are you me? Similar (but worse) grade drop, no job, law review, taking bar in Illinois. I haven't given up yet, I just sent out like a dozen resumes today, but it's getting fucking dismal. Keep trying. Personally I wouldn't be resigned to finding an alternative career until after the bar. That whole 'firms hire after you pass the bar' thing is real right?

I thought it was you until the whole "recruited for sports" thing

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:17 am

Law Review without grades is massive fucking flame. There's something about graduation being immediately impending that's made this so much worse.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am

TTH wrote:Law Review without grades is massive fucking flame. There's something about graduation being immediately impending that's made this so much worse.

Any word from your summer firm my bro?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am

TTH wrote:Law Review without grades is massive fucking flame. There's something about graduation being immediately impending that's made this so much worse.

100% agree. LR probably hurts you if you don't have the grades. "This dude was motivated enough to write on, but he could only pull top 25% grades? Must be a lazy fuck. Ding."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Has anyone heard of any success cold-emailing resumes to firms? I know most big firms fill their classes with summers, but there's only one city I want to work in and so I've been sending my resume to every firm there. Is this a huge waste of my time? I have the credentials to be worthy of a look, at least, I think. I've been scouring job postings, etc, there just aren't many, and I don't know where else to look.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of any success cold-emailing resumes to firms? I know most big firms fill their classes with summers, but there's only one city I want to work in and so I've been sending my resume to every firm there. Is this a huge waste of my time? I have the credentials to be worthy of a look, at least, I think. I've been scouring job postings, etc, there just aren't many, and I don't know where else to look.

Probably a waste of time. Why don't you see if there are any alums from the school, ask if you can give em a call, and see whassup

windowcactus

Postby windowcactus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of any success cold-emailing resumes to firms? I know most big firms fill their classes with summers, but there's only one city I want to work in and so I've been sending my resume to every firm there. Is this a huge waste of my time? I have the credentials to be worthy of a look, at least, I think. I've been scouring job postings, etc, there just aren't many, and I don't know where else to look.

fwiw, i mass-mailed for about 3 months straight w/ no response. i have only recently gotten some looks through posted job openings and connections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Probably a waste of time. Why don't you see if there are any alums from the school, ask if you can give em a call, and see whassup

I guess I just don't know what to say - "Hey, guy who went to my school. What's up? Your firm hiring?" "Nope!" "Ok then." My school talks about doing these "informational interview" type things, but honestly I don't want any other info besides "Can you help me get a job?" I guess I just don't know how to get from here to there.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I guess I just don't know what to say - "Hey, guy who went to my school. What's up? Your firm hiring?" "Nope!" "Ok then." My school talks about doing these "informational interview" type things, but honestly I don't want any other info besides "Can you help me get a job?" I guess I just don't know how to get from here to there.

Don't ask for a job. Just call up these people and talk to them about their practice. See if they have any advice for breaking into the market. Do the informational interviews. The job I eventually got came from what was at first basically an informational interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm seriously starting to freak the fuck out.
I check symplicity and craigslist 3 times a day and have sent out an app to each job I have found over the past months without a single interview. Seems like symplicity has a ton of stuff for interns right now, but not much for post grad. I've done a few informational interviews but those seemed like such a waste of time as all the "What is your day to day like? How do I break into the practice? Why did you pick that area of law?" bullshit questions are just that, bullshit. I know it, they know it.

Its like one partner I heard say (obviously paraphrased): "I hate those networking events my firm sends me to. All these unemployed law students suck up to me all night and pretend to be interested in myself and my work. I have never remembered a single name 10 mins after I left. If I started the conversation with "I can't get you a job but an certainly talk to you about the industry" they would all run away. You can ask all the bullshit questions you want, but I know all you really care about is getting a job and not much more."

Outside of random postings on various sites I dont know what else to do. I have exhausted all the contacts I had and all the led to was these informational bullshit interviews. I am out of ideas. If I don't have something by the end of summer I am going to lose my mind completely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm seriously starting to freak the fuck out.
I check symplicity and craigslist 3 times a day and have sent out an app to each job I have found over the past months without a single interview. Seems like symplicity has a ton of stuff for interns right now, but not much for post grad. I've done a few informational interviews but those seemed like such a waste of time as all the "What is your day to day like? How do I break into the practice? Why did you pick that area of law?" bullshit questions are just that, bullshit. I know it, they know it.

Its like one partner I heard say (obviously paraphrased): "I hate those networking events my firm sends me to. All these unemployed law students suck up to me all night and pretend to be interested in myself and my work. I have never remembered a single name 10 mins after I left. If I started the conversation with "I can't get you a job but an certainly talk to you about the industry" they would all run away. You can ask all the bullshit questions you want, but I know all you really care about is getting a job and not much more."

Outside of random postings on various sites I dont know what else to do. I have exhausted all the contacts I had and all the led to was these informational bullshit interviews. I am out of ideas. If I don't have something by the end of summer I am going to lose my mind completely.

I am also starting to freak out. It is almost May with no job lined up. I have had a few interviews and a few callbacks but nothing has panned out. Its getting to the point where I cannot focus on things I need to do, like starting to prepare for finals. I just keep hoping my phone rings and that one of the many places I have applied to calls me for an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:24 am

I'm considering giving up and getting a refund on bar bri before its too late. I'm really going to need the 3,000 to pay for rent while I look for another job.

I'm just going to find one that isn't legal related. Life is horrible.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering giving up and getting a refund on bar bri before its too late. I'm really going to need the 3,000 to pay for rent while I look for another job.

I'm just going to find one that isn't legal related. Life is horrible.

I considered this a few times. No shame bro

Decent UG degree?

Where would you be looking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously, what are the other options out there? I have IRS chief counsel intern experience, but no accounting firm even responds to me. Is it possible to sell my JD with a 4.0 finance undergrad GPA from a shiTTTTTTT school (I actually had a prick law school alum ask me how I got into the law school coming from my undergrad) and 780 math score to banks, consulting firms or anything similar?

Also have Chief Counsel experience, no luck with accounting firms whatsoever. Then again, if you've been contacting recently, it's pretty off season for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm seriously starting to freak the fuck out.

I am also starting to freak out. It is almost May with no job lined up. I have had a few interviews and a few callbacks but nothing has panned out. Its getting to the point where I cannot focus on things I need to do, like starting to prepare for finals. I just keep hoping my phone rings and that one of the many places I have applied to calls me for an interview.

focusing on things you need to do? fuck finals. focus on the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 am

Decent UG degree?

It's poli sci BA from a top school in the west coast, good gpa. But then again, I'm in one of the best schools on the east coast, good gpa, and also don't have a job.

I don't know where to look anymore. I just want a job that pays at least 50k so I can just maintain my current lifestyle (a studio apartment in an expensive city and credit card bills). I will shovel elephant shit and then taste it if they pay me.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Decent UG degree?

It's poli sci BA from a top school in the west coast, good gpa. But then again, I'm in one of the best schools on the east coast, good gpa, and also don't have a job.

I don't know where to look anymore. I just want a job that pays at least 50k so I can just maintain my current lifestyle (a studio apartment in an expensive city and credit card bills). I will shovel elephant shit and then taste it if they pay me.

Poli sci BAs aren't exactly a good way to get a $50k job either

If you wanted to learn Ruby or Python you could probably get a job coding that though. A buddy of mine did this exact thing with his worthless UG degree.

It may be a good idea to take the bar though. At least that sets you up for a law job. 9 months after graduation then maybe reevaluate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm

^ I mean I've moved way beyond that Poli Sci degree tho. I do have a JD (or will get one soon) and all the experience I racked up. I'm sure I can find a 50k+ job somewhere around here. Doesn't matter what it is really. Saw a job paying 55k to be a parking lot manager..lol

Return to “Legal Employment”