The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:27 am

Good news... I went with option 1, and literally two minutes later the executive director wrote back to say she would still consider my application if I sent in a new cover letter. I mean, I'm sure the difficult questions would come in the interview if I got one, but, at least this is a step in the right direction. I just have to figure out how much info to change from the first cover letter. Obviously it mostly got to the heart of what they are looking for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Well, I just got dinged form the last interview I had scheduled. I have no future prospects, nothing on the horizon. I am tempted to just fucking leave, and go somewhere, I don't know where. Maybe Vegas, and drink my self to death like Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

I have my first final on Friday, and I have an impending sense of failure surrounding my life. I am sitting in the library, with a strong desire to cry.

Probably going to leave and get wasted after putting in the minimal effort necessary to study. Fuck this life. I don't know how thre fuck I am supposed to go home and face my parents.

Fuck my life.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, I just got dinged form the last interview I had scheduled. I have no future prospects, nothing on the horizon. I am tempted to just fucking leave, and go somewhere, I don't know where. Maybe Vegas, and drink my self to death like Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

I have my first final on Friday, and I have an impending sense of failure surrounding my life. I am sitting in the library, with a strong desire to cry.

Probably going to leave and get wasted after putting in the minimal effort necessary to study. Fuck this life. I don't know how thre fuck I am supposed to go home and face my parents.

Fuck my life.

I know this doesn't help, but just know there are a lot of us in the same position. If you need to talk, vent, or whatever feel free to PM (that goes for all you valers).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:59 pm

pattyw2008 wrote:Parents and people outside of law school I have no idea how hard it is to get a job. I do part-time at shoe store to help pay for school and my DM said I should just move to Los Angeles because there are tons of attorneys there... it should be easy. :roll: Others say just start your own firm! They don't realize starting your own firm requires money.. money that a shoe store won't give me.

I know other students in my class have had their parents tell them law school was the biggest mistake they could have made and have ruined there lives.

Isn't great to have such supportive, well-intentioned people??
Ugh these are terrible!

Fortunately my dad isn't nearly this bad. His worst offense is to go with economic boom job-hunting advice and tell me that I should apply for things that require 1-3 years of experience "just in case"! Little does he know that "1-3 years" means they'll probably hire someone with 5-6 years, and "entry level" means "at least a year."

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
pattyw2008 wrote:Parents and people outside of law school I have no idea how hard it is to get a job. I do part-time at shoe store to help pay for school and my DM said I should just move to Los Angeles because there are tons of attorneys there... it should be easy. :roll: Others say just start your own firm! They don't realize starting your own firm requires money.. money that a shoe store won't give me.

I know other students in my class have had their parents tell them law school was the biggest mistake they could have made and have ruined there lives.

Isn't great to have such supportive, well-intentioned people??
Ugh these are terrible!

Fortunately my dad isn't nearly this bad. His worst offense is to go with economic boom job-hunting advice and tell me that I should apply for things that require 1-3 years of experience "just in case"! Little does he know that "1-3 years" means they'll probably hire someone with 5-6 years, and "entry level" means "at least a year."

tbf, in the PI/small firm world, I think it's a good idea to apply to jobs that say 1-3 years experience when you're right out. They will often bend those requirements if they find the right person. I was technically not qualified for my current job, but was able to convince them that my experiences during, before, and just after law school were enough.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ugh these are terrible!

I think that's the general advice given here as well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Well, lol at me, then. Don't tell rinkdad.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Well, lol at me, then. Don't tell rinkdad.

I mean, your point about them hiring 5-6 years out and entry level not meaning entry level still stands, but we should be applying "just in case."

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:36 pm

You should definitely apply to jobs in the 1-3 year range. Frame your internship/clinic/extern work as months of experience. Just realize that you'll probably only get contacted 5% of the time and have like a 1% chance at the job. But when you're unemployed, sending 100 applications for the 5 interviews and 1 job is worthwhile. If it's a private firm, I don't think it ever hurts to delicately emphasize, in the above situation, that they won't have to pay you as much as someone with experience.

Also, for everyone still looking, I know this is boilerplate advice that has been given time and time again, but absolutely get coffee a million different times with a million different people. Look for alumni of your LS in your area, ask if they'd be willing to meet with you for 30 minutes, and do it like 700 times. Knowing people is more important than anything you could put into your application itself. It's like asking for a spot at the gym--I have never been rejected asking someone to briefly meet. If your parents or adult friends know lawyers in your area, meet with all of them.

Again, boilerplate, but I can't encourage enough taking 1-2 days out of your week to work for free doing legal stuff somewhere where positions open up often (DAs office, for instance).

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:30 pm

When I was looking for a job my dad's advice was to go wash cars for $5 per wash on the side of the street cause "desperate times call for desperate measures". I mean, I'm not above a lot, but I am above that.

Hang in there, really no lay person understand what a "bad market" means for lawyers. People see the unemployment rate come down to ~5% and hear the job reports that add 200K jobs per month and think everything is going well. My parents and grandparents, no matter how many times I explained to them, truly didn't get it. They also didn't get why I couldn't just go solo and "make lots of money". I got really frusterated with my mom once on this topic and told her "Ok, you know what, today, right now, this very second I am declaring officially that I'm a solo. Ok, now what? Where are my clients that are gonna pay me tons of money to do work I don't know how to do with the experience I don't have?" She mumbled something about advertising but sort of got it after that.

Its tough, hang in there, all you need is one firm to take a chance on you. The lateral market for attorneys with 2-4 years of experience is, at least in my experience, substantially better.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, I just got dinged form the last interview I had scheduled. I have no future prospects, nothing on the horizon. I am tempted to just fucking leave, and go somewhere, I don't know where. Maybe Vegas, and drink my self to death like Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

Fuck my life.

Really, lots and lots of jobs start hiring after you take the bar. I know that sense of failure really well. It's not easy to do, but the best course of action is to remember that it's not you. I know that it's much easier said than done, but, I do to try to remind myself frequently.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Pleasye wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Well, lol at me, then. Don't tell rinkdad.

I mean, your point about them hiring 5-6 years out and entry level not meaning entry level still stands, but we should be applying "just in case."

And also applying where there aren't posted job openings. Find the places where you want to work and make the best pitch for yourself. By the time something is posted, there's a fair chance it's already gone.

I'm sorry about the fellowship, rink. :(

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Man, I suppose I should consider myself lucky that my parents completely get it.

Hang in there guys--better stuff will be coming our way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I got an offer for a small compliance(ish) gig! However, the offer is pretty sub-par salary/benefit wise, and not exactly what I've been hoping to do (litigation). I'm a 3L in the top 10-15% at a school in the top 50-100 range. I have some other leads, but nothing too substantial (besides one first round interview scheduled). Should I accept? If I do, how hard will it be to move around after?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer for a small compliance(ish) gig! However, the offer is pretty sub-par salary/benefit wise, and not exactly what I've been hoping to do (litigation). I'm a 3L in the top 10-15% at a school in the top 50-100 range. I have some other leads, but nothing too substantial (besides one first round interview scheduled). Should I accept? If I do, how hard will it be to move around after?

Pass the bar, then start applying elsewhere. If the potential litigation employer wants to know why you're doing compliance, tell them it pays the bills. And if you're given a lit offer, just take it.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer for a small compliance(ish) gig! However, the offer is pretty sub-par salary/benefit wise, and not exactly what I've been hoping to do (litigation). I'm a 3L in the top 10-15% at a school in the top 50-100 range. I have some other leads, but nothing too substantial (besides one first round interview scheduled). Should I accept? If I do, how hard will it be to move around after?

Congrats. Accept and keep an eye open. Don't be afraid to jump ship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:13 am

Today I find out whether the firm I interviewed with 3 weeks ago will hire me. It cost me over $1,000 for a trip to another state's CLE to get this potential job information while networking. I currently have no other options. This decision will determine if I stay in the this region of the country, move to another region for my wife to take a job in a small city with nothing to do and terrible weather, or if my wife will decide to go home to her parents and essentially leave me until I find an adequate job. The pressure behind today's decision is so intense that I've been on the verge of throwing up all morning. I've always been on the fence about whether or not there is a god, but I sure am praying to him today.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Today I find out whether the firm I interviewed with 3 weeks ago will hire me. It cost me over $1,000 for a trip to another state's CLE to get this potential job information while networking. I currently have no other options. This decision will determine if I stay in the this region of the country, move to another region for my wife to take a job in a small city with nothing to do and terrible weather, or if my wife will decide to go home to her parents and essentially leave me until I find an adequate job. The pressure behind today's decision is so intense that I've been on the verge of throwing up all morning. I've always been on the fence about whether or not there is a god, but I sure am praying to him today.

I'll be crossing my fingers for you. Good luck!

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I find out whether the firm I interviewed with 3 weeks ago will hire me. It cost me over $1,000 for a trip to another state's CLE to get this potential job information while networking. I currently have no other options. This decision will determine if I stay in the this region of the country, move to another region for my wife to take a job in a small city with nothing to do and terrible weather, or if my wife will decide to go home to her parents and essentially leave me until I find an adequate job. The pressure behind today's decision is so intense that I've been on the verge of throwing up all morning. I've always been on the fence about whether or not there is a god, but I sure am praying to him today.

I've always maintained that regardless of how hard life may get sometimes that good things happen to good people. And that the universe has a way of smiling on us.

I'm rooting for you Anon!! Please be sure to keep us informed.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Good luck anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Like, I just don't even know what to do at this point.

Just fucking sucks. Like, wtf am I supposed to do? God just, I don't even know anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Anyone know what is the BYU job bank/password?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:54 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Anyone know what is the BYU job bank/password?[/quote

Yeah, "jobfind" and "jobscougar" aren't working for me. Someone needs to update the OP.

When applying to retail/food service positions, should I leave the JD off my resume?

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what is the BYU job bank/password?

I think the password is now "byujobs."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:09 pm

kykiske wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what is the BYU job bank/password?

I think the password is now "byujobs."

This works, thank you!

Return to “Legal Employment”