The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shredderrrrrr

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed for my dream job last week. They haven't officially rejected me yet, but the more I thought about my interview, the more I realized that I wouldn't hire me if I had been on the other side.

So I'm checking in for the long journey ahead.

I was in a similar position in the past. Keep hustling.

Thanks for the support. It means a lot. I hope I too will get out of this.

Original OP. I jumped the gun on getting sad---I just got the offer today. My weirdness during the interview was apparently welcomed.

Keep dreaming/hoping/hustling, y'all.

Congrats!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original OP. I jumped the gun on getting sad---I just got the offer today. My weirdness during the interview was apparently welcomed.

Congratulations!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone! Good luck to those still looking.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed for my dream job last week. They haven't officially rejected me yet, but the more I thought about my interview, the more I realized that I wouldn't hire me if I had been on the other side.

Original OP. I jumped the gun on getting sad---I just got the offer today. My weirdness during the interview was apparently welcomed.

That's amazing! Congrats!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did they just offer it over the phone/email? Do you then schedule a date to go in and review things like salary and benefits and whatnot?

Sorry, I only ask because I've never been offered a full-time professional job before and am curious how it works.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:05 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did they just offer it over the phone/email? Do you then schedule a date to go in and review things like salary and benefits and whatnot?

Sorry, I only ask because I've never been offered a full-time professional job before and am curious how it works.

I was offered over the phone. No discussion re salary, benefits or start date. However, because this is BigFed, I have a good idea about those details. Package with this info comes later, I was told. I almost didn't want to celebrate until I had that in case they change their minds. But I think I'm good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:07 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote: Just out of curiosity, did they just offer it over the phone/email? Do you then schedule a date to go in and review things like salary and benefits and whatnot?

This will depend a lot on the job. For bigger firms they'll usually just tell you the salary and you generally won't go in after accepting the offer. You'll find out about benefits once you start. For smaller firms, pretty much anything goes. I got the offer for my current job in a text message.

Edit: fixed typo.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I was offered over the phone. No discussion re salary, benefits or start date. However, because this is BigFed, I have a good idea about those details. Package with this info comes later, I was told. I almost didn't want to celebrate until I had that in case they change their minds. But I think I'm good.

I completely here you on this, especially with the stories of how BigFed can be. I was told everything over the phone for mine, but I waited until the official offer letter came in before i put my two weeks in, and it was delayed taking it over a month. It was crazy stressful.

Blah blah, congrats! You will be fine!

edit: Also, lucky you on the short wait between interview and offer!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Just rejected by two firms after second interviews in favor of attorneys with more work experience.

Almost a year out and barely surviving. Shit sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just rejected by two firms after second interviews in favor of attorneys with more work experience.

Hang in there. Rejections are never easy. Just keep applying. The right thing will come along.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:07 am

officially joined the vale this week. i had signed up for barbri when i had a job lined up. what happens if i don't pay it and go with something cheaper like themis? i can't justify paying over twice as much anymore

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:officially joined the vale this week. i had signed up for barbri when i had a job lined up. what happens if i don't pay it and go with something cheaper like themis? i can't justify paying over twice as much anymore

I believe Themis refunds your Barbri deposit. Themis also has a an excellent public interest discount if that's what you're pursuing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:19 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:officially joined the vale this week. i had signed up for barbri when i had a job lined up. what happens if i don't pay it and go with something cheaper like themis? i can't justify paying over twice as much anymore

I believe Themis refunds your Barbri deposit. Themis also has a an excellent public interest discount if that's what you're pursuing.

What about the contract I signed about using Barbri? Would they really pursue it?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

What about the contract I signed about using Barbri? Would they really pursue it?

No. Barbri cannot force you to use their services. They suffer no loss if you refuse to let them perform.

That's a fakey roundabout legal way of saying they're not going to give a shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

No. Barbri cannot force you to use their services. They suffer no loss if you refuse to let them perform.

Awesome. Thanks for the help everyone!

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just rejected by two firms after second interviews in favor of attorneys with more work experience.

Have you considered non-legal careers?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:16 pm

I don't understand the point of asking someone if they've considered non-legal careers. I just can't see anyone ever answering, "my god, no, I never thought of that!!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

would this apply if you made a down payment and signed contract for taking it with them? would they sue?

drs36

Postby drs36 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:47 pm

No, they would not sue. You might have to eat your deposit, but another bar prep company will likely refund that deposit. Even if BarBri could prove damages, it would not be worth it for them to sue for $2-3K. You should drop them and take Themis (or some other cheaper bar prep course). FWIW I used Themis, loved it, passed. I recommend you do the same.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:48 pm

drs36 wrote:No, they would not sue. You might have to eat your deposit, but another bar prep company will likely refund that deposit. Even if BarBri could prove damages, it would not be worth it for them to sue for $2-3K. You should drop them and take Themis (or some other cheaper bar prep course). FWIW I used Themis, loved it, passed. I recommend you do the same.

Let's not get carried away with this. Themis was tolerable.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Am I missing something here? I don't understand what the question is.

It sounds like you paid a deposit to Themis and now want to instead use a different company? If so, I don't see an issue--you'll just be out a deposit and won't get bar review services from Barbri.

I mean, did you sign some sort of exclusivity contract with Barbri saying you would not use any other company to study for the bar?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 pm

this happens all the time, they aren't going to care at all, that is what the deposit is for

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Am I missing something here? I don't understand what the question is.

It sounds like you paid a deposit to Themis and now want to instead use a different company? If so, I don't see an issue--you'll just be out a deposit and won't get bar review services from Barbri.

I mean, did you sign some sort of exclusivity contract with Barbri saying you would not use any other company to study for the bar?

Yeah, Barbri makes people sign contracts saying they won't switch bar prep companies. And yeah it is highly highly unlikely that they will sue you for not going through with it, but this whole moral dilemma/meltdown you're having is the reason they do it. So ridiculous.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:28 am

Pleasye wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Am I missing something here? I don't understand what the question is.

Yeah, Barbri makes people sign contracts saying they won't switch bar prep companies. And yeah it is highly highly unlikely that they will sue you for not going through with it, but this whole moral dilemma/meltdown you're having is the reason they do it. So ridiculous.

Huh, never knew. That's odd. I don't think Kaplan has anything like that (that I know of anyways).

Either way, you're right--this is a non-issue.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:23 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Huh, never knew. That's odd. I don't think Kaplan has anything like that (that I know of anyways).

Either way, you're right--this is a non-issue.

No, Kaplan doesn't have anything like this.

Barbri flipped shit last fall (probably because it's been losing a lot of its market to competitors) and decided to offer people a substantial discount off regular tuition if those people would put a $500 deposit down and sign a K stating that if you didn't pay the rest of the amount due by X date, you'd be in breach and subject to collection and potential litigation. I've forgotten some of the details of the K now since I haven't looked at it for six(ish) months, but I know some law school deans were not happy.

As to the original question, general consensus among the other bar review companies is that Barbri probably won't try to enforce (though they may be jerks about it if you want to switch).

Return to “Legal Employment”