The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Other25BeforeYou

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:What is the approach to following up with a thank you after a lunch interview? And if it is ok to do so, is it ok to reiterate why you would be a good fit for the job?

Was it just one person or a group of people? I would email him/her/them thanking them for lunch and for answering your questions and saying that it was a pleasure speaking with them. I definitely wouldn't try to sell yourself anymore, it's just too likely to come off as awkward/pushy. And there is pretty much zero chance they'd be like "well we weren't going to hire him/her, but that last sentence of the thank you email in which he/she pointed out that they are similar to us really changed our minds."

dead head

Postby dead head » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:44 pm

If anyone has participated in Georgetown's EIP program/fellowship and is willing to talk about it, please PM me.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Yeah no need to sell yourself any more. That looks weird and desperate. It's fine to send an email thanking the person for their time and just simply stating you enjoyed talking about X with them, where X is pretty specific to what you talked about.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:And if it is ok to do so, is it ok to

This sentence really fucked with my mind before I read it. Bunch of short words all together.

Anyway, still in the Vale. Expecting to graduate and get licensed w/o an offer. Can't sniff interviews anymore. Good news is that I was part of a program for the local bar association and I have some young associates trying to help me out when they find stuff. Hopefully that will eventually help me get some people with actual hiring power going to bat for me.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:15 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:And if it is ok to do so, is it ok to

This sentence really fucked with my mind before I read it. Bunch of short words all together.

Haha I just noticed that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Well Valers, I have a "meeting" with the general counsel for a state agency this next Monday. Although they are not formally hiring, my contact says there is a possibility of a job. In addition, the attorney general's office in the state likes my resume and is passing it around.

I had three months of no movement after being chosen as an alternate in BigFed and I graduate in one month. Hoping one of these leads pan out. But some movement is better than no movement.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well Valers, I have a "meeting" with the general counsel for a state agency this next Monday. Although they are not formally hiring, my contact says there is a possibility of a job. In addition, the attorney general's office in the state likes my resume and is passing it around.

I had three months of no movement after being chosen as an alternate in BigFed and I graduate in one month. Hoping one of these leads pan out. But some movement is better than no movement.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Hand write thank you cards to everyone who I interviewed with during a clerkship interview?

They said they are making a decision this coming week, I had the interview on Thursday, if that is relevant.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hand write thank you cards to everyone who I interviewed with during a clerkship interview?

They said they are making a decision this coming week, I had the interview on Thursday, if that is relevant.

Handwritten seems a bit much--I think an email would suffice (if it was just an interview).

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:18 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hand write thank you cards to everyone who I interviewed with during a clerkship interview?

Handwritten seems a bit much--I think an email would suffice (if it was just an interview).

Agreed. I regularly receive thank you emails after taking people out to lunch on interviews (firm, not clerkship), but the one handwritten note I received made me giggle. Just seemed like overkill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 pm

I don't have an email listing for the judge, out of the 5 people I interviewed with, I only have two emails.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have an email listing for the judge, out of the 5 people I interviewed with, I only have two emails.

Ahhhh, that definitely makes it a closer call.

paraguayfargus

Postby paraguayfargus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm considering applying for business related jobs. Unfortunately, these jobs are not legal at all...not even JD preferred or advantage or whatever. Admittedly, they probably pay more than I would be getting at a smaller firm (~65k).

If I go down this road did I just blow the last 3 years of law school? Could I ever get back into the field? Do I even bother taking the bar?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:04 pm

I interviewed for that school-funded PI fellowship this last week. They couldn't/wouldn't even give me a timeline for decisions. "Funding is still coming in so we don't know what the final number of awards will be. We haven't decided whether to announce a few decisions for awards that are fully funded and then announce more later, or wait and announce them all together. We do understand that you'd like to find out before graduation..."

GEE, YOU THINK???

Anyway, couple more weeks, it seems. :?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:15 pm

I think thank-yous are fine, but I think cards are a bit much, myself (but that's just personal taste). If you were going to send one, I'd have done it right after the interview on Thursday or Friday. And it's totally normal not to have the judge's e-mail - if you want to send one, you could send it to the JA and ask them to pass it on to the judge.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have an email listing for the judge, out of the 5 people I interviewed with, I only have two emails.

Firstname.lastname

But if you dont remember everyone's full name, I second sending an email to one clerk, addressing all clerks you met. I would not try to email a judge. I think a handwritten note for a judge is fine, though they've likely made a decision by the time they receive your card.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:07 pm

OP about the thank you notes.

Cool, I think I will send out an interview tomorrow to the emails I have. I interviewed with a couple other people whose emails I don't have, and names I don't recall (it was an extremely long interview with a couple of tests), how should I address that? Should I just generally say thanks for the interview and please pass my thanks a long to everyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 pm

I interviewed for my dream job last week. They haven't officially rejected me yet, but the more I thought about my interview, the more I realized that I wouldn't hire me if I had been on the other side.

So I'm checking in for the long journey ahead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed for my dream job last week. They haven't officially rejected me yet, but the more I thought about my interview, the more I realized that I wouldn't hire me if I had been on the other side.

I was in a similar position in the past. Keep hustling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:16 pm

had an interview almost 4 weeks ago. in that interview, they gave me a timeline of 2 weeks or so.

i haven't heard from the firm yet, so i sent them an e-mail towards the end of last week (about 3 weeks after the interview) reiterating my interest in the firm and asking where they were in the interview process.

i haven't gotten any kind of response...any idea what this means? i mean, if they'd moved on they could have simply said so in a sentence or two. if they're still in the middle of things, why wouldn't they respond as well? not sure what to think. should i send them another e-mail this week?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had an interview almost 4 weeks ago. in that interview, they gave me a timeline of 2 weeks or so.

i haven't heard from the firm yet, so i sent them an e-mail towards the end of last week (about 3 weeks after the interview) reiterating my interest in the firm and asking where they were in the interview process.

i haven't gotten any kind of response...any idea what this means? i mean, if they'd moved on they could have simply said so in a sentence or two. if they're still in the middle of things, why wouldn't they respond as well? not sure what to think. should i send them another e-mail this week?

I think this is what makes the Vale so terrible, since this seems to happen all the time.

IMO, I don't think it is good news. They probably are looking at someone else and are waiting to see if they accept before rejecting their field of candidates. Or something really important came up. Really depends on the size of the firm.

But there really isnt a way to know.

As to emailing them, I also think that depends on a lot of factors. Personally, I might drop one more email, depending on how well I think the interview went, etc. But if I did not absolutely kill it, I probably would not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm

horriblegb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:had an interview almost 4 weeks ago. in that interview, they gave me a timeline of 2 weeks or so.

I think this is what makes the Vale so terrible, since this seems to happen all the time.

IMO, I don't think it is good news. They probably are looking at someone else and are waiting to see if they accept before rejecting their field of candidates. Or something really important came up. Really depends on the size of the firm.

As to emailing them, I also think that depends on a lot of factors. Personally, I might drop one more email, depending on how well I think the interview went, etc. But if I did not absolutely kill it, I probably would not.

thanks.

the office manager at the firm had been pretty responsive prior to the interview so i'm surprised i haven't gotten a response. the interview did go well, so i'm a bit surprised in that regard as well. i figure it can't hurt to send another e-mail at the end of the week if i still don't here back.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

thanks.

the office manager at the firm had been pretty responsive prior to the interview so i'm surprised i haven't gotten a response. the interview did go well, so i'm a bit surprised in that regard as well. i figure it can't hurt to send another e-mail at the end of the week if i still don't here back.

That makes sense then, there is always a chance of it getting lost in the shuffle. Based on her responsiveness, I would probably follow up again.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

thanks.

If it makes you feel better - my Vale exit didn't not come close to following the timeline that the firm gave me. Also, they were often unresponsive. This is normal. They are busy lawyers and hiring you is not top on their list.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed for my dream job last week. They haven't officially rejected me yet, but the more I thought about my interview, the more I realized that I wouldn't hire me if I had been on the other side.

I was in a similar position in the past. Keep hustling.

Thanks for the support. It means a lot. I hope I too will get out of this.

Return to “Legal Employment”