The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shredderrrrrr

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:58 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:How long should you wait to contact (if ever) a firm after the specified timeline they give you for making a decision? For instance, if a firm says, "We'll be conducting interviews over the next two weeks and will then be in touch," at what point would it be proper to contact them to follow up on their decision if they have yet to reach out? A few days? A week? Two weeks? Never?

Asking this again in case anyone else has some thoughts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:31 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:How long should you wait to contact (if ever) a firm after the specified timeline they give you for making a decision? For instance, if a firm says, "We'll be conducting interviews over the next two weeks and will then be in touch," at what point would it be proper to contact them to follow up on their decision if they have yet to reach out? A few days? A week? Two weeks? Never?

After two weeks I would send an email reiterating my interest in the position. Ideally you would also have an update to give them like "recently my case note was published.." or "here is a new writing sample I drafted for my M&A class..."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

After two weeks I would send an email reiterating my interest in the position. Ideally you would also have an update to give them like "recently my case note was published.." or "here is a new writing sample I drafted for my M&A class..."

yep, after two weeks.

you don't need to give them an update though if you don't have anything new. just say you wanted to check in on where they were in the process and that you are still interested in the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Had a callback type interview yesterday with a high-end small firm and I thought it went well, but i was kinda surprised how quick the interview went.

The interview lasted for about 35-40 minutes and I met with three attorneys at the same time. I'm a bit worried I didn't "draw it out" more, but the fit seemed good and we covered all the bases. I guess I'm just used to interviews where I meet 3-4 attorneys separately that each last for 20-30 minutes (with a lot of overlap between them)?

I'm probably overthinking this because this seems like the perfect job for me right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:11 pm

The recruiter at a large firm emailed me thanking me for applying, indicating they want to bring me in for an interview, and asking for my availability. I responded the same day and followed up a few days later, but haven't heard anything yet. Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything else I should do?

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The recruiter at a large firm emailed me thanking me for applying, indicating they want to bring me in for an interview, and asking for my availability. I responded the same day and followed up a few days later, but haven't heard anything yet. Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything else I should do?

That has happened to me before. Don't sweat it.

The immediate reason that comes to mind is that he/she is still coordinating schedules for the interview. And he/she will not likely respond until the interviewing schedule is finalized.

If you don't hear anything by the end of the week, send another follow-up email on Monday, 3/23/2015.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Plus, it might be a spring break issue. (ETA: but I don't necessarily advocate FB-stalking the recruiter to see if she posted pics of her family at Busch Gardens).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed after my fellowship for a very long time.

Stats: T14
GPA: Below Median
Previous Experience: law school fellowship
Grad year; 2013

I accepted a job at a firm that pays market. I think the market is picking up for laterals.

Wow. Nicely done and congrats.

Congrats. I would be interested in hearing about your fellowship and how it didn't lead to permanent employment, since I am gunning hard for a fellowship myself.

I wasn't looking for it to become permanent. I was always looking for a firm. So even when I was on a fellowship, my focus was on something else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:16 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed after my fellowship for a very long time.

Stats: T14
GPA: Below Median
Previous Experience: law school fellowship
Grad year; 2013

I accepted a job at a firm that pays market. I think the market is picking up for laterals.

Congrats - was this a Fellowship that you knew would not lead to an offer? How did you explain the gap after the Fellowship? What were you doing during that time to help your chances?

Thanks.

It was a law school fellowship and no - it was not going to lead to a permanent offer. I just said I was searching for something.

Jobs are all about luck. When it's your time it really is your time. I was sending out applications and everything just lined up the way it had to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Looks like I'll be joining the Vale today, a bit unexpectedly. Just got my offer rescinded from the federal honors program. Went through the security interview, fingerprints, ID card and all, after receiving a "final offer." Apparently it was across the Agency and all outstanding offers are being revoked. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point, and I'm kind of numb right now. My SO already let her job know we would be moving, and now I just hope she can get back in at the very least.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Holy shit, that's appalling.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I'll be joining the Vale today, a bit unexpectedly. Just got my offer rescinded from the federal honors program. Went through the security interview, fingerprints, ID card and all, after receiving a "final offer." Apparently it was across the Agency and all outstanding offers are being revoked. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point, and I'm kind of numb right now. My SO already let her job know we would be moving, and now I just hope she can get back in at the very least.

Wow, I had no idea this even happens. Dept. of Homeland Security?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I'll be joining the Vale today, a bit unexpectedly. Just got my offer rescinded from the federal honors program. Went through the security interview, fingerprints, ID card and all, after receiving a "final offer." Apparently it was across the Agency and all outstanding offers are being revoked. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point, and I'm kind of numb right now. My SO already let her job know we would be moving, and now I just hope she can get back in at the very least.

Yeah, me neither. I was already approved by OPM, which is what blows my mind since they are the ones demanding the offers be rescinded. But no, it's not DHS. It's the NLRB, who already had a budget approved.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

yep, after two weeks.

you don't need to give them an update though if you don't have anything new. just say you wanted to check in on where they were in the process and that you are still interested in the job.

Just to be clear, two weeks after the specified timeline has run (so a total of, in this case, 4 weeks from the interview)?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 am

Holy shit I'm so sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:21 am

This actually happens more than one would like to think. It's appalling and unfair. I'm sorry, I hope you bounce back, and I hope your SO gets her job back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:33 pm

How do you guys get through this? With virtually all of my classmates and non-law school friends fully employed, I just feel like absolute crap. It's Saturday afternoon and I'm just watching Psych on Netflix because I can't help myself from being antisocial.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, me neither. I was already approved by OPM, which is what blows my mind since they are the ones demanding the offers be rescinded. But no, it's not DHS. It's the NLRB, who already had a budget approved.

If it makes you feel any better, where I "work,"* the honors program basically ceased its existence about 5 years ago, never to return yet.

Dealing with budget bullshit is stressful for everyone. Not only for law students who desperately need the jobs, but for the managers who can't hire and basically don't have the staff to manage cases anymore.

* = unpaid volunteer

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:

Yeah, me neither. I was already approved by OPM, which is what blows my mind since they are the ones demanding the offers be rescinded. But no, it's not DHS. It's the NLRB, who already had a budget approved.

They did you dirty brother I'm sorry

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Out of the vale. Got offered a prosecutor position at a local prosecutor's office. 2014 grad. Hang in there, guys. All it takes is that one office/firm that likes you. I interviewed at a bunch of places that didn't like me for whatever reason. The office that hired me, though, really liked me and pursued me for whatever reason. I guess I fit their mold cause I didn't change or otherwise prep differently than the other offices that rejected me. I had to volunteer for almost a year (at a different office that didn't hire me) and I think that really put me over the top competing with other lateraling attorneys and prosecutors.

There were many times I wanted to quit because of financial reasons. I thought about working at a local fast food place full-time. Instead I starved an extra meal and avoided going out because I knew prosecution was my passion and some day it would pay off. Fortunately, it doesn't cost a lot for me to exist, and I had parents who supported my dream and let me live in their home and eat whatever they were eating during this tough time. They filed for bankruptcy last year and one of their businesses went under just recently. Very happy and excited that I can finally give back and support them.

Major state, crap school, crap grades, excellent WE, trial and in-court experience, average interviewer. Entire state probably has 20-50 local prosecutor positions any given year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale. Got offered a prosecutor position at a local prosecutor's office. 2014 grad. Hang in there, guys. All it takes is that one office/firm that likes you. I interviewed at a bunch of places that didn't like me for whatever reason. The office that hired me, though, really liked me and pursued me for whatever reason. I guess I fit their mold cause I didn't change or otherwise prep differently than the other offices that rejected me. I had to volunteer for almost a year (at a different office that didn't hire me) and I think that really put me over the top competing with other lateraling attorneys and prosecutors.

There were many times I wanted to quit because of financial reasons. I thought about working at a local fast food place full-time. Instead I starved an extra meal and avoided going out because I knew prosecution was my passion and some day it would pay off. Fortunately, it doesn't cost a lot for me to exist, and I had parents who supported my dream and let me live in their home and eat whatever they were eating during this tough time. They filed for bankruptcy last year and one of their businesses went under just recently. Very happy and excited that I can finally give back and support them.

Major state, crap school, crap grades, excellent WE, trial and in-court experience, average interviewer. Entire state probably has 20-50 local prosecutor positions any given year.

this is so damn inspirational right now.. i'm a 3L trying to be a prosecutor right now. i've worked so hard, but i don't have the trial experience that many offices look for. i've been interviewing so much and i've gotten so many rejections, and i've pretty much struck out. it feels like i'm never going to be an attorney. i'm glad that you got out of the vale!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale. Got offered a prosecutor position at a local prosecutor's office. 2014 grad. Hang in there, guys. All it takes is that one office/firm that likes you. I interviewed at a bunch of places that didn't like me for whatever reason. The office that hired me, though, really liked me and pursued me for whatever reason. I guess I fit their mold cause I didn't change or otherwise prep differently than the other offices that rejected me. I had to volunteer for almost a year (at a different office that didn't hire me) and I think that really put me over the top competing with other lateraling attorneys and prosecutors.

congrats, anon, that's awesome.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:53 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:

Holy shit I'm so sorry.

Seriously there are no words. Hang in there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:46 am

Any of you struggling on where to take the bar? I've been applying all over but I'm considering just signing up for the state where my job prospects are mostly likely to pan out (strongly considering taking the school's postgrad fellowship to a public interest org). I'm torn between taking the really small stipend offered by the fellowship and kicking ass at the public interest org and seeing what follows from there vs. keep on grinding in hopes of finding a better paying job.

I know that some Valers find jobs well after graduation but it feels like all the deadlines for bar registration, bar prep, etc. are coming at me .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any of you struggling on where to take the bar? I've been applying all over but I'm considering just signing up for the state where my job prospects are mostly likely to pan out (strongly considering taking the school's postgrad fellowship to a public interest org). I'm torn between taking the really small stipend offered by the fellowship and kicking ass at the public interest org and seeing what follows from there vs. keep on grinding in hopes of finding a better paying job.

I know that some Valers find jobs well after graduation but it feels like all the deadlines for bar registration, bar prep, etc. are coming at me .

Yes, I am trying to decide where to take the bar. I go to a regional school, and I was thinking of trying to stay in the state since all of the jobs advertised in symplicity are in the state, but I don't think I have the money to afford staying in the state for a long time. I'm going to decide this week which bar I'm going to take.

Return to “Legal Employment”