The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
son_of_ben

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby son_of_ben » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 pm

Just got $1800 for BarBri in a state where sticker price is $3500 (I imagine that is what all standard tuition is, though).

These reps want to make a sale, so you need to play hardball and say you are thinking about switching to a cheaper service. Also, don't feel bad saying "you gave my friend this price, so I know you can do better." There initial offer to me was $3000 with"Leadership" and "Public Interest" scholarships, but after threatening to leave three or four times, I saved myself a nice piece of change.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Rejection letters that are honest are refreshing and depressing.

Edited:

"You met the minimums, but we had well qualified pool. So you weren't selected."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 pm

K&E sent me a rejection twice over the last couple weeks for the same position. Had an interview w/ a small plaintiffs shareholders firm, and they seem to focus on why I hadn't gotten a job at biglaw, w/ one of the partners even asking how many CBs I got at OCI.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&E sent me a rejection twice over the last couple weeks for the same position. Had an interview w/ a small plaintiffs shareholders firm, and they seem to focus on why I hadn't gotten a job at biglaw, w/ one of the partners even asking how many CBs I got at OCI.

Shit bro, how do you even answer that

I tried to duck it, but I definitely did not walk away from that interview feeling good. I still haven't heard back from them. I also haven't heard back from DPW about a temp associate position I screened for. Knowing OCS, they would recommend following up, but my history w/ that is just getting a rejection reply. I'm hoping my current job (I'm a recent graduate and bar taker) on a school fellowship will provide some foundation for better success, but it has been a hellish 3.5 years of law school and continues on, esp as my former classmates seem to segregate themselves based on if they work in biglaw or not.

In terms of the bar, I took Themis, which gave me a PI discount, so was approx $1000. I don't know if I passed the bar yet (praying I do, it is an awful exp), I was overall satisfied with the course and justified price. I attempted for a barbri discount, but never heard back, and it sounds like they still are unwilling to go as low as Themis. In addition, I didn't feel like the extra stuff BarBri provided was any more helpful or necessary. In the end, you just need a course that provides you with good enough outlines and lectures to cover the subjects, and plenty of practice essays and MBE.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&E sent me a rejection twice over the last couple weeks for the same position. Had an interview w/ a small plaintiffs shareholders firm, and they seem to focus on why I hadn't gotten a job at biglaw, w/ one of the partners even asking how many CBs I got at OCI.

Tell me you at least mentioned you weren't really gung-ho on doing defense work? Plaintiffs firms want you to show you're on board with their cause.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:32 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Tell me you at least mentioned you weren't really gung-ho on doing defense work? Plaintiffs firms want you to show you're on board with their cause.

Went more on the want to actually practice litigation route. The partners were former biglaw (the guy who asked me about CBs was former SulCrom)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:53 pm

what is this shit: An elite Chicago boutique is seeking a member of the College of Law’s Class of 2013 to serve as a Discovery Counsel. This position is contemplated to be a two-year position.

Is this like a fancy word for doc review?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:what is this shit: An elite Chicago boutique is seeking a member of the College of Law’s Class of 2013 to serve as a Discovery Counsel. This position is contemplated to be a two-year position.

Is this like a fancy word for doc review?

Sounds like shit dude

+1

At least it's an attorney job, though. My law school has put like 4 or 5 secretary/paralegal jobs up over the past month.

dc2013

Postby dc2013 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been stopping through every once in a while to look at this thread, but have avoided saying anything up until this point. Now I think I have to.

After getting three more rejections today from small firms in the area where I grew up, I'm just so depressed. This is seriously getting to the point where it all feels hopeless. I'm in the top 25% at a T10, struck out at OCI, and ended up working in a litigation-based gov/PI position last summer. I've been hustling so much this year trying to network, applying to every listed position that comes up on Symplicity, and going into career services regularly to do mock interviews and try to perfect my resume and cover letter.

It's so hard not to feel bitter and confused. I've worked my ass off to be where I am right now and I just feel like I'm stuck with $200K in debt and nothing to show for it. I'd like to think that I'm a personable guy, and I KNOW I'm qualified for these positions. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what could have gone wrong that has put me in this position. I didn't come to law school to get rich, but I never thought I'd be facing unemployment and poverty. All I really want is for someone out there to recognize my potential.

Anyways, sorry to randomly and anonymously vent, and good luck to everyone else out there.

I feel the exact same way bro. It is hard to keep motivated. Every time I see my family or friends from home I am asked "so where are you going to be working after graduation." I am embarrassed to say I am not sure and am still figuring it out. Had an interview last week, but at this point I am so used to rejection I don't have my hopes up. Plan to hang my own shingle if things don't work out. If I do, every attorney who is out there doing a half-assed job (and there are so many) in practice areas I think I can handle better watch out. I am going to enter the market and work as hard as humanly possible to capture the most market share that I can.

The problem is, for some reason, attorneys in small-to-mid sized firms are they do not think the rules of business apply to them. Although regulated, the legal practice is still a business. In business, there are two ways to handle competition, either absorb or compete. Of course, there are some areas of law that recent graduates hanging their own shingle cannot compete. However, there are some practices areas that a recent graduate can jump right into, and these small to mid-sized firms don’t want to hire (absorb) because they think recent graduates can’t compete. I intend to prove them wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Had a second round interview interview today. I think it went well. Really hoping it pans out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a second round interview interview today. I think it went well. Really hoping it pans out.

biglaw? gov? mid-law?

Good luck!!!!!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 pm

thanks! It's a small real estate law firm. But I feel like I could really dig the lack of having to track billable hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thanks! It's a small real estate law firm. But I feel like I could really dig the lack of having to track billable hours.

real estate is booming again so that is definitely a good opportunity. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Left the vale yesterday. waaahooooo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Left the vale yesterday. waaahooooo.

congrat!!! tell us your experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I summered with a midsized firm that practices exclusively in a niche practice area (no prior experience in this area before the summer). I continued to clerk there 3L year, and finally got a full time offer! A little less than market, but lifestyle is much much better.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I summered with a midsized firm that practices exclusively in a niche practice area (no prior experience in this area before the summer). I continued to clerk there 3L year, and finally got a full time offer! A little less than market, but lifestyle is much much better.

Grats dude! Don't forget that feeling

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

you earned it bro!

Agent

Postby Agent » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:17 am

Congrats.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:

I had an interview with a solid plaintiffs firm the other day. IMO the way to go with those is couch everything in terms of greater responsibility and control. I try not to bash biglaw when I interviewed; instead, I like to say that both biglaw and plaintiffs work can be rewarding, but different groups of people find them rewarding. Here's why I find plaintiffs work more interesting blah blah blah.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 pm

son_of_ben wrote:Just got $1800 for BarBri in a state where sticker price is $3500 (I imagine that is what all standard tuition is, though).

These reps want to make a sale, so you need to play hardball and say you are thinking about switching to a cheaper service. Also, don't feel bad saying "you gave my friend this price, so I know you can do better." There initial offer to me was $3000 with"Leadership" and "Public Interest" scholarships, but after threatening to leave three or four times, I saved myself a nice piece of change.

Is this typical? I got $400 off (so down to $2800) and then just signed up and paid the $250 deposit. Is it worth playing hardball? We don't have Themis in my state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 am

los blancos wrote:
son_of_ben wrote:Just got $1800 for BarBri in a state where sticker price is $3500 (I imagine that is what all standard tuition is, though).

Is this typical? I got $400 off (so down to $2800) and then just signed up and paid the $250 deposit. Is it worth playing hardball? We don't have Themis in my state.

Yes. I am paying 1350, and I'm splitting the bonus from refer a friend, so I'm going to end up paying 1100. It costs them next to nothing to bring on an additional person, so your sign up is almost pure profit. The fact that you don't have Themis to use as leverage kind of sucks, but you might be able to go between Barbri and Kaplan and get a bidding war going. You might also see if you can sign up for a state where Themis offers a course, then see if you can switch to the state you want at the same price. Or you could use self-study as leverage. You can save a $1000 here, man.

Return to “Legal Employment”