The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I think you need to accept that your issues with your firm are likely just your issues with firm life in general. There are other jobs out there--especially for someone who actually does have 3 years of firm experience under their belt. Good luck looking for other firm jobs but consider it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:32 pm

Sharing knowledge for position posted on usajobs.gov:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/390167900

DEADLINE to APPLY: JANUARY 16 2015

THIS COURTHOUSE IS LOCATED ON PRESTON ROAD IN PLANO ABOUT FIVE MINUTES OFF THE TOLLWAY ONCE YOU EXIT LEGACY OR HEADQUARTERS. Important to note, this courthouse is not far from downtown Dallas.

Job Title:Assistant United States Attorney
Department:Department Of Justice
Agency:Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys and the Office of the U.S. Attorneys
Job Announcement Number:15-EDTX-1289533-AUSA-01
SALARY RANGE: $54,334.00 to $157,000.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 to Friday, January 16, 2015
SERIES & GRADE: AD-0905-21
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
PROMOTION POTENTIAL:29
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy in the following location:
Plano, TX View Map
WHO MAY APPLY: United States Citizens
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Not Applicable

SFB222

Postby SFB222 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think you need to accept that your issues with your firm are likely just your issues with firm life in general. There are other jobs out there--especially for someone who actually does have 3 years of firm experience under their belt. Good luck looking for other firm jobs but consider it.

Perhaps. The problem is that good firms care about grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:51 pm

If you attended a Texas law school, regardless of tier, you may want to apply to the below. BAR LICENSURE IS NOT REQUIRED. This is an entry level position.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/390295600

Job Title:Contract Administrator
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:Defense Contract Management Agency
Hiring Organization:Defense Contract Management Agency Central Regional Command
Job Announcement Number:SWH815KS4241231284158
SALARY RANGE: $33,766.00 to $54,370.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 to Friday, January 16, 2015
SERIES & GRADE: GS-1102-05/07
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Permanent
PROMOTION POTENTIAL:11
Dallas, TX View Map
WHO MAY APPLY: All US Citizens & Nationals with allegiance to the United States; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) Eligible
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Secret

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you attended a Texas law school, regardless of tier, you may want to apply to the below. BAR LICENSURE IS NOT REQUIRED. This is an entry level position.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/390295600

Job Title:Contract Administrator
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:Defense Contract Management Agency
Hiring Organization:Defense Contract Management Agency Central Regional Command
Job Announcement Number:SWH815KS4241231284158
SALARY RANGE: $33,766.00 to $54,370.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 to Friday, January 16, 2015
SERIES & GRADE: GS-1102-05/07
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Permanent
PROMOTION POTENTIAL:11
Dallas, TX View Map
WHO MAY APPLY: All US Citizens & Nationals with allegiance to the United States; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) Eligible
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Secret

x

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sharing knowledge for position posted on usajobs.gov:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/390167900

DEADLINE to APPLY: JANUARY 16 2015

THIS COURTHOUSE IS LOCATED ON PRESTON ROAD IN PLANO ABOUT FIVE MINUTES OFF THE TOLLWAY ONCE YOU EXIT LEGACY OR HEADQUARTERS. Important to note, this courthouse is not far from downtown Dallas.

Job Title:Assistant United States Attorney
Department:Department Of Justice
Agency:Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys and the Office of the U.S. Attorneys
Job Announcement Number:15-EDTX-1289533-AUSA-01
SALARY RANGE: $54,334.00 to $157,000.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 to Friday, January 16, 2015
SERIES & GRADE: AD-0905-21
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
PROMOTION POTENTIAL:29
Plano, TX View Map
WHO MAY APPLY: United States Citizens
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Not Applicable

You might as well delete this. You need 3 years of experience as the posting states.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:52 pm

SFB222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think you need to accept that your issues with your firm are likely just your issues with firm life in general. There are other jobs out there--especially for someone who actually does have 3 years of firm experience under their belt. Good luck looking for other firm jobs but consider it.

Perhaps. The problem is that good firms care about grades.

Well boo hoo. This thread is for the jobless and you have 3 years of experience and are complaining about how you can't lateral because of your grades. Boo hoo. There are plenty of lateral opportunities for people with your experience. That includes possibly in-house, the federal government, etc. That's on you if you continue to be myopic and focus on firms that will still judge you by your grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:58 pm

I'm a 2013 grad, I was bottom 10-20% at my T10. Luckily my school had a paid fellowship program that lasted one year, which I completed a few months ago. However, I haven't had any luck finding a permanent position. Still have not gotten even an interview despite sending out 100+ applications. I'm limiting myself geographically, however I have very strong ties to my chosen market.

Having read through the last couple dozen pages in this thread it seems that my experience is pretty common and that I can't do much except keep sending out apps.

What is everyone doing in the meantime? Does anyone volunteer for a legal aid organization, or a local bar association, anything like that? Would volunteering be helpful for finding a job?

SFB222

Postby SFB222 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2013 grad, I was bottom 10-20% at my T10. Luckily my school had a paid fellowship program that lasted one year, which I completed a few months ago. However, I haven't had any luck finding a permanent position. Still have not gotten even an interview despite sending out 100+ applications. I'm limiting myself geographically, however I have very strong ties to my chosen market.

Having read through the last couple dozen pages in this thread it seems that my experience is pretty common and that I can't do much except keep sending out apps.

What is everyone doing in the meantime? Does anyone volunteer for a legal aid organization, or a local bar association, anything like that? Would volunteering be helpful for finding a job?

Been there. PM me if you'd like to discuss.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get more depressed as every day passes since I passed the bar exam.

The job search seems so hopeless. No responses. Not seeing many openings. I feel so fucked.

Seems like getting no-offered from 2L SA (through no fault of my own) ruined my career before it could even start.

I'm in the same position (no offered 2L SA). If I don't get an actual attorney position with a salary by the end of 2015, I feel my career will be over before it started.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully we can get through this...

SFB222

Postby SFB222 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get more depressed as every day passes since I passed the bar exam.

The job search seems so hopeless. No responses. Not seeing many openings. I feel so fucked.

Seems like getting no-offered from 2L SA (through no fault of my own) ruined my career before it could even start.

I'm in the same position (no offered 2L SA). If I don't get an actual attorney position with a salary by the end of 2015, I feel my career will be over before it started.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully we can get through this...

If it's any source of hope, I graduated bottom 30% of my class with no job at graduation. Sucked for a while but eventually found a decent firm job by slaving away and networking hard. Now the challenge is lateraling out and dealing with a lack of career security (since all good firms want good grades for laterals).

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 am

So excited--I have one interview and one screener in the next two weeks. My interest is immigration, so I can apply all over. Neither of the interviews are in my home area, but I've branched out to applying all over, specifically targeting Virginia, Florida, Texas, North Carolina, and less so, California, New York and Illinois (because there happen to be immigration jobs there).

I have never, ever, had a screener. Can anyone tell me what I can expect?

Thank you :)

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Is a JD a scarlet letter for K-12 teaching positions? Or would it merit a pay bump since it is an advanced degree?

It's not a scarlet letter, but if it is long term, what would you do when you get a law-job, jump ship or stay?

Also, are you licensed to teach or willing to take the classes to get licensed if you meet the requirements for a provisional license?

I'm talking about when I give up on a legal career, which won't be for a long time as I am only a 3L.

Not yet licensed to teach, however I have previous experience as an AmeriCorps member at an education non-profit and think I'd really enjoy teaching as an alternate career if this law thing doesn't work out.

ETA: Congrats, crysmissmichelle!

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
crysmissmichelle wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Is a JD a scarlet letter for K-12 teaching positions? Or would it merit a pay bump since it is an advanced degree?

It's not a scarlet letter, but if it is long term, what would you do when you get a law-job, jump ship or stay?

Also, are you licensed to teach or willing to take the classes to get licensed if you meet the requirements for a provisional license?

I'm talking about when I give up on a legal career, which won't be for a long time as I am only a 3L.

Not yet licensed to teach, however I have previous experience as an AmeriCorps member at an education non-profit and think I'd really enjoy teaching as an alternate career if this law thing doesn't work out.

ETA: Congrats, crysmissmichelle!

Thanks!

I was a teacher for several years before law school, I just see a lot of people using it as a place holder, you know? It is a really great career that takes--as you know from your experience--a lot of work and dedication. I always hated to see people come in, sign a contract and leave their students mid-year. It really messes up the experience for the students.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:08 am

Did the BYU Job Bank shut down? I can't seem to find a link to it or the new password/username.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:13 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:01 pm

So, how is everyone mass mailing small/mid-sized firms? Do you just email one of the partners your resume with a short cover letter type email?

Thanks for the help

Iforgotmylastone

Postby Iforgotmylastone » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, how is everyone mass mailing small/mid-sized firms? Do you just email one of the partners your resume with a short cover letter type email?

Essentially, yes, unless you know they would like other materials as well.

thewaterlanding

Postby thewaterlanding » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Guys and Gals, I am officially exiting the Vale. Got an offer from a firm ~35-45 attorneys in an area I like. I didn't post on here much, but have been religiously following and reading all of the advice on here. I appreciate everyone who has helped me through this thread.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:37 pm

thewaterlanding wrote:Guys and Gals, I am officially exiting the Vale. Got an offer from a firm ~35-45 attorneys in an area I like. I didn't post on here much, but have been religiously following and reading all of the advice on here. I appreciate everyone who has helped me through this thread.

congrats brother savor the moment

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 am

Is a JD a plus for social work type jobs?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am

thewaterlanding wrote:Guys and Gals, I am officially exiting the Vale. Got an offer from a firm ~35-45 attorneys in an area I like. I didn't post on here much, but have been religiously following and reading all of the advice on here. I appreciate everyone who has helped me through this thread.

Congrats!

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:58 pm

I too have finished my job search. After months and months, my firm, where I've worked for nearly three years, decided to create a position for me and promoted me from law clerk to Attorney. I am over the moon.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Congrats! Any advice on how you received the position?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:41 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:I too have finished my job search. After months and months, my firm, where I've worked for nearly three years, decided to create a position for me and promoted me from law clerk to Attorney. I am over the moon.

Congrats! Really happy for you.

Return to “Legal Employment”