The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crumpetsandtea

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks for the kind words, y'all (: I appreciate it.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:25 am

Slow here, but congrats crumps!!!!

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:16 am

Gj crumps

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Officially jerbed up. Oh my god it is such a fucking relief. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I panic requested a week to think about it but I'm definitely going to take it.

Guys. Best Christmas present ever.

Super happy for your, Crumps! Always knew you'd end up fine. PM details?

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:27 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Officially jerbed up. Oh my god it is such a fucking relief. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I panic requested a week to think about it but I'm definitely going to take it.

CONGRATS!!!!!!

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:27 pm

Not a 3L & know this isn't my thread, but just wanted to say how thrilled I am for you crumps!!! (I hope that's OK)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:29 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:Not a 3L & know this isn't my thread, but just wanted to say how thrilled I am for you crumps!!! (I hope that's OK)

I think posting to congratulate someone is fine :)

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm a 2014 grad in CA.

I was under the impression that a stream of new attorney positions would be available after bar results came out/people got sworn in but symplicity doesn't seem to be reflecting this.

Was that a naive assumption - is the vale always a crapshoot/unpredictable or are people finding new jobs available given bar results? Or do those jobs show up in Jan after the holidays?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:29 pm

JJDancer wrote:I'm a 2014 grad in CA.

I was under the impression that a stream of new attorney positions would be available after bar results came out/people got sworn in but symplicity doesn't seem to be reflecting this.

Was that a naive assumption - is the vale always a crapshoot/unpredictable or are people finding new jobs available given bar results? Or do those jobs show up in Jan after the holidays?

In my area, admitted not CA but still, in my area they usually show up in the spring and fall, just before bar results for some reason. Then again, half of them aren't symplicity, but rather placed via the bar bulletin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:21 am

also in CA.

seems to be slim pickings at the moment...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you guys doing for your job search? I feel like I'm doing everything but I want to hear other people's approach as obviously what I'm doing isn't working. Little background info: Very bad grades from a top 10 and finished in 2013. Did a fellowship afterwards and looking for real work now.

curious about this as well.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Congrats, crumps!!

My plan is to start throwing out job apps like crazy come January if my current pending app doesn't work out. I don't see much posted in Symplicity for people with 0 experience, though.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:06 pm

You don't have 0 experience, though. You're working now, right?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:40 pm

I think 0 just means less than one year of post-law school experience.

Most things I see ask for 2+ years. I still apply (as long as they say 1-3 or 2-4 years experience) but haven't had much luck despite having a high GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you guys doing for your job search? I feel like I'm doing everything but I want to hear other people's approach as obviously what I'm doing isn't working. Little background info: Very bad grades from a top 10 and finished in 2013. Did a fellowship afterwards and looking for real work now.

I too would like to hear some insight on this. I'm basically in the exact same boat, class of 2013, top 10 school, and pretty low grades, and currently looking for a job (have about 7 months post-JD experience, nothing since then).

Postby 06102016 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 pm

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:44 pm

JJDancer wrote:I think 0 just means less than one year of post-law school experience.

Most things I see ask for 2+ years. I still apply (as long as they say 1-3 or 2-4 years experience) but haven't had much luck despite having a high GPA.

Yeah, this is what I mean. And I have 0 years of lawyering since I'm clerking. I see so many 'entry level' postings that want 4+ years.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:22 pm

Not CA, and not to get your hopes up, but in my experience, most all of the job openings on Symplicity, for the most part, are going to be small firm jobs. Those are just going to randomly open up by someone leaving, getting fired, etc. rather than any specific time frame. They will want someone that is licensed, though. Just keep firing out apps and using as many resources as possible. Best of luck.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Jessuf wrote:
JJDancer wrote:I think 0 just means less than one year of post-law school experience.

Yeah, this is what I mean. And I have 0 years of lawyering since I'm clerking. I see so many 'entry level' postings that want 4+ years.

I mean, if clerks can start biglaw as second years, I think clerking counts as experience. Doesn't get you to 4+ years, of course, unfortunately.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I mean, if clerks can start biglaw as second years, I think clerking counts as experience. Doesn't get you to 4+ years, of course, unfortunately.

What I am wondering is if that experience is billable experience or non-billable experience. For instance, if my retainer allows for X activity to constitute one billing hour, while Y activity is a billing hour. If I were to do X and Y in thirty minutes at a consistent rate for one year, would I have four years of experience?

Assumpsit

Postby Assumpsit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 am

Ahhhhh. I've been technically out of the vale for the past few weeks on a document review project in another state (ugh) but today got an email from the perfect position i interviewed for thursday to do a background check. That erased 99% of any doubt I had about me getting the position but you never know. Now im stuck in this nervous phase where I am certain I just got my dream job but cant be all excited yet.

I got this interview after a bunch of shit went terrible in my life - I would always roll my eyes at people on here who would offer bullshit anecdotes and positive thinking - but maybe they are right.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:56 am

vandalvideo wrote:What I am wondering is if that experience is billable experience or non-billable experience. For instance, if my retainer allows for X activity to constitute one billing hour, while Y activity is a billing hour. If I were to do X and Y in thirty minutes at a consistent rate for one year, would I have four years of experience?

No, that's not what any employer is going to expect when asking about your experience. You're talking about productivity.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:58 am

<3

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 pm

As a current 3L, I'm am becoming more and more panicked as the days go by that I will be unemployed at graduation.

I've networked with attorneys at various firms throughout these past few years. Stayed in good contact with them. And I'm still going out and meeting more people. I'm not a huge fan of the big bar-sponsored events. But I've been successful in networking with many attorneys 1 on 1 over lunch, coffee, drinks, etc.

I actually have a 2L SA under my belt, but have yet to hear from them on a full-time offer. Good performance reviews all around during the summer. Good fit too. I really want to work here. All I know is that they are still evaluating their needs for a 2015 associate.

I've been checking my school's job page every day for the past few months, and there's literally nothing aside from writing competitions. There aren't even part-time law clerk positions.

I feel so lost.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm

kykiske wrote:As a current 3L, I'm am becoming more and more panicked as the days go by that I will be unemployed at graduation.

I've networked with attorneys at various firms throughout these past few years. Stayed in good contact with them. And I'm still going out and meeting more people. I'm not a huge fan of the big bar-sponsored events. But I've been successful in networking with many attorneys 1 on 1 over lunch, coffee, drinks, etc.

I actually have a 2L SA under my belt, but have yet to hear from them on a full-time offer. Good performance reviews all around during the summer. Good fit too. I really want to work here. All I know is that they are still evaluating their needs for a 2015 associate.

I've been checking my school's job page every day for the past few months, and there's literally nothing aside from writing competitions. There aren't even part-time law clerk positions.

I feel so lost.

You might be able to apply to some other types of positions - for example, I know that the Department of Labor Office of Administrative Law Judges (in San Francisco) is hiring clerks for 2-year clerkship positions right now. Last I heard, they won't begin interviewing until January, so there should still be time to send in your application. Feel free to PM me for contact info for that position.

If that's something you're interested in, you might want to contact clerks for ALJs personally to see if they are still hiring. ALJs don't typically hire via OSCAR or traditional methods (ie Symplicity) so it can be hard to find out about jobs like that.

Does your school run any public interest/government career conferences? I know Northwestern hosts the "Midwestern Public Interest Law Career Consortium," which is like a mini-OCI for PI/Gov based summer and post-grad jobs. I don't know if you would be open to that sort of a thing or if you're firm-or-bust, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”