The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gefuehlsecht

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Gefuehlsecht » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pretty much impossible to focus on anything else right now.

Oh man, I am sorry to hear that. But I am afraid you might have to move on.

Also, paging the Pretzel person. Did things get better?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:54 am

just got my first interview request since the job search for a 2L summer gig. it's been a long fucking time.

if i find out i failed the CA bar tomorrow, i don't know what i'll do...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:32 am

Made it to a second round interview (down to the top 3) for my dream job. So scared right now.

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 pm

I think the worst part of all this is the total fucking radio silence after applying to places.

I don't mind the radio silence.

For me, the worst part is knowing that bonus season is right around the corner for my ex-classmates.
Others are doing amazing work in prestigious courts.

And here I am, twiddling my thumbs, off the radar because all of them would consider me pitiful.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Gefuehlsecht wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty much impossible to focus on anything else right now.

Pretzel_Logic got jerbed earlier this year!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Now that Thanksgiving is almost here, I'm going to be hearing back from the fed gov and other places I've interviewed with recently.

I'm fucking TERRIFIED. It was easy to feel okay about everything when I could say "I haven't heard anything yet because no one makes decisions until December/January/February." Now that the time is coming for decisions, I'm just...so scared that I'm not going to have anything by the time late February rolls around. I don't know what I'd do. I feel like the fact that I've had interviews has given me a false sense of security.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Uyry wrote:

I am so sorry. Hang in there. It may just be typical asshat radio silence.

This is what pisses me off. I live in a really small market and have heard of people pulling this crap. Is it so hard to call someone back and say, "I'm so sorry you didn't pass, but we really someone who is licensed. Please keep in touch for the future." Jesus.

Anyway, I'm really sorry, bro. I hope it's not what we think it is.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Now that Thanksgiving is almost here, I'm going to be hearing back from the fed gov and other places I've interviewed with recently.

I'm fucking TERRIFIED. It was easy to feel okay about everything when I could say "I haven't heard anything yet because no one makes decisions until December/January/February." Now that the time is coming for decisions, I'm just...so scared that I'm not going to have anything by the time late February rolls around. I don't know what I'd do. I feel like the fact that I've had interviews has given me a false sense of security.

Oddly enough, the likely reality that I won't have a job (and am not even getting rejection letters at this point, much less positive responses) is what's comforting me. Like I keep sending this stuff, and there's no chance, but maybe when I get licensed this T14 degree in my home state will do something.

Although what I'm actually finding is that my school might be working against me because everyone leaves the state, and local employers take T2/3/4 candidates because they assume I'll leave. Didn't see that one coming when I enrolled.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Gefuehlsecht wrote:

I got a job this past summer, my attorney dad got a new job after a year of looking, and my little brother signed his job offer today. :D

It can and does get better, y'all. My time in the Vale was very dark but I made it out and so can you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Uyry wrote:

This is what pisses me off. I live in a really small market and have heard of people pulling this crap. Is it so hard to call someone back and say, "I'm so sorry you didn't pass, but we really someone who is licensed. Please keep in touch for the future." Jesus.

OP here; still only silence.

I think it's rude not to call/email rejections following an interview, but this is a new level of ridiculous. I mean, one minute they want to start a professional relationship with me, the next they refuse to even talk to me. I've had people tell me that I shouldn't have said anything about failing in the email, and should have saved that for a face-to-face meeting. I agree that's what I should have done, though I was just trying to save everyone's time.

Uyry

Postby Uyry » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had people tell me that I shouldn't have said anything about failing in the email, and should have saved that for a face-to-face meeting.

Well you didn't, and it's easy for other people to second guess you because they're not in your concrete boots staring down tens of thousands in accrued interest. There's no manual for this. Personally, me and a lot of people I know would have gotten back to you right away. That this employer hasn't touched base with you says more about them than about what you wrote, didn't write, or should have saved for face-to-face.

What I often get is the JUST LIE song and dance. A boomer I know freaked out when I told him I had been honest about a weakness of mine in an interview. He told me never to be honest about my weaknesses, that I can adjust my skills after I get the job.

But the interviewer needed someone who could excel at the thing I'm not very good at right now from day one. She was explicit about it. The job hinged on it. What was I supposed to do? Lie? Yet that's exactly what people keep telling me to do.

Look, I'll lie about whether I've ever lost my temper, or like to workout, or love dogs, etc., but about some fundamental task I'm supposed to be good at on day one? Is that how people are getting jobs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Uyry wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had people tell me that I shouldn't have said anything about failing in the email, and should have saved that for a face-to-face meeting.

Well you didn't, and it's easy for other people to second guess you because they're not in your concrete boots staring down tens of thousands in accrued interest. There's no manual for this. Personally, me and a lot of people I know would have gotten back to you right away. That this employer hasn't touched base with you says more about them than about what you wrote, didn't write, or should have saved for face-to-face.

I agree. I know it's hard to take and it feels like crap, but their behavior shows that you dodged a bullet. A professional employer would get back to you and even offer some sympathy like a normal human being. Email or face to face, you deserved an answer.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:24 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Now that Thanksgiving is almost here, I'm going to be hearing back from the fed gov and other places I've interviewed with recently.

Hang in there crumpets! I'm rooting for you!

(I haven't been on TLS for years, but remember how helpful and friendly you were in the NU applicants thread so I'm definitely on team crumpets. I'm sure your interviewers saw your gregarious personality as well!)

Gefuehlsecht

Postby Gefuehlsecht » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Gefuehlsecht wrote:

I got a job this past summer, my attorney dad got a new job after a year of looking, and my little brother signed his job offer today. :D

It can and does get better, y'all. My time in the Vale was very dark but I made it out and so can you.

I am glad to hear things are looking up.

langmuire

Postby langmuire » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 pm

So I've been lurking on TLS for...christ more than 5 years now, and I've been watching the vale since last winter when my SA firm dropped my class down a well. I spent every damn minute of the last 10 months scared shitless, tired, and ashamed. I felt guilty every minute I spent not scanning a jobs board or writing another doomed fucking cover letter. I don't even want to say how I felt when my wife--who worked 12 hour days this whole time--would ask me if I found anything.

I'm writing in today to check out of the vale.

I got my dream job. I'm going to try cases in the place I want to live and pay off these ridiculous loans. My wife cried when i told her.

Remember team, sometimes this shit does just work out.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Uyry wrote:

OP here; still only silence.

I think it's rude not to call/email rejections following an interview, but this is a new level of ridiculous. I mean, one minute they want to start a professional relationship with me, the next they refuse to even talk to me. I've had people tell me that I shouldn't have said anything about failing in the email, and should have saved that for a face-to-face meeting. I agree that's what I should have done, though I was just trying to save everyone's time.

I would say pump the brakes a bit, though I acknowledge how difficult that can be. This could well be a decision that must be made by multiple people, or at least not by the person for whom you left a message. And that person/those people might be in the weeds right now. You informed them on Wednesday. Today's Friday. As you know, that's a millisecond in hiring time. Hang in there and good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:55 am

BVest wrote:I would say pump the brakes a bit, though I acknowledge how difficult that can be. This could well be a decision that must be made by multiple people, or at least not by the person for whom you left a message. And that person/those people might be in the weeds right now. You informed them on Wednesday. Today's Friday. As you know, that's a millisecond in hiring time. Hang in there and good luck!

Yeah, I accepted my rejection just so that I could move on (really had to today), but I also know that may be possible.

But I think that's a small possibility. First, it's a small firm (~15 attorneys total), and the person that offered me was one of two managing partners, so it doesn't exactly require a team to consider my hiring. Second, if the position didn't require a license, then the only problem would be they might want someone who isn't going to be busy studying for the bar exam. Maybe they're reaching out to other less busy candidates right now. But if that was the case, wouldn't they want to say something along the lines of "hey, we're considering whether the position can be filled by a non-attorney. We'll get back to you soon."? Though maybe that's an email they wouldn't send, considering the silence I got after interviewing with them.

Rude as fuck either way if you ask me. Still, I'd join them. Someone else said I dodged a bullet, but I'd definitely kill to work for some rude people doing some niche stuff that I'm really into. And maybe they're only this rude with potential employees (interview was pleasant enough, though).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Graduated in May from a Vandy/USC/UCLA/Texas tier school somewhere between median and top quarter of the class. Still unemployed and waiting for bar results. Loans come due next month (luckily only about $60k or so and I have some savings). Received several rejection letters from law firms last week after not even getting interviews. Worked in-house at a publicly traded company last summer, but they have no openings for entry level attorneys at the moment. Interested in corporate transactional work. Starting to feel really fucked.

I'm the guy who posted this. I promised to follow up so here goes. I was able to land an in-house gig that I'm really happy with in my target market just after learning that I passed the bar. After many months of uncertainty, life is pretty damn good right now. For all those who haven't found employment yet, keep plugging away and eventually something good will come of all your hard work!!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Had a ton of interviews the past few week (6). Was informally offered a policy job with a start up consulting firm today. I'm still waiting for the details (pay/time off/ect). but, it's such a relief to have something - and in the field I want to be in. Heads up everyone! Something will come soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 pm

What do you guys think of jobs at an in-house compliance department? JD is not often required but is a plus.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:44 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Had a ton of interviews the past few week (6). Was informally offered a policy job with a start up consulting firm today. I'm still waiting for the details (pay/time off/ect). but, it's such a relief to have something - and in the field I want to be in. Heads up everyone! Something will come soon!

Nice! Grats!

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think of jobs at an in-house compliance department? JD is not often required but is a plus.

I mean if you're cool w not practicing law sounds good bro

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:30 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Had a ton of interviews the past few week (6). Was informally offered a policy job with a start up consulting firm today. I'm still waiting for the details (pay/time off/ect). but, it's such a relief to have something - and in the field I want to be in. Heads up everyone! Something will come soon!

God, where do you all live where you can get that many interviews within a few weeks? (Not seriously asking since I understand you won't want to be outed.) I've been lucky to get 6-7 in the last three months, some of which are for jobs that aren't even paid. :roll:

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:52 pm

langmuire wrote:So I've been lurking on TLS for...christ more than 5 years now, and I've been watching the vale since last winter when my SA firm dropped my class down a well. I spent every damn minute of the last 10 months scared shitless, tired, and ashamed. I felt guilty every minute I spent not scanning a jobs board or writing another doomed fucking cover letter. I don't even want to say how I felt when my wife--who worked 12 hour days this whole time--would ask me if I found anything.

I'm writing in today to check out of the vale.

I got my dream job. I'm going to try cases in the place I want to live and pay off these ridiculous loans. My wife cried when i told her.

Remember team, sometimes this shit does just work out.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think of jobs at an in-house compliance department? JD is not often required but is a plus.

I mean if you're cool w not practicing law sounds good bro

Which is why I asked. What would it take (money / title / responsibility wise) to go do in house compliance vs going to a law firm or gov't job in same industry?

Return to “Legal Employment”