The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crumpetsandtea

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:12 pm

YAY MINNBILLS!!!!!!

That's AWESOME, man, I'm so glad to hear that you got the job. You deserve it!! (:

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:29 pm

minnbills wrote:I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe it happened for me!

Stick with it guys, if I can do it, you can!!!

Congratulations! I came to this page, REALLY NEEDING to see someone with good news, so glad you've gotten your dream job!

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Gj son

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Atta boy Minn.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks guys! I still can't believe it. Now I'm going to get blackout.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:28 am

minnbills wrote:Thanks guys! I still can't believe it. Now I'm going to get blackout.

Congrats man.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:53 am

Minnbills, congrats dude. Out of curiosity, MN S.Ct?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:25 am

Super excited for you man! Congrats!!

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks guys! I still can't believe it. Now I'm going to get blackout.

Congratulations!
Well deserved...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Advice for applying to another office of a firm where I was dinged during 3L OCI? Should I just treat it like a new app?

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Pleasye wrote:Advice for applying to another office of a firm where I was dinged during 3L OCI? Should I just treat it like a new app?

Yes.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Congrats minnbills!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi, Just dropping in. Just want to say that it gets better. Everyone eventually finds their way. It got really, really dark for me in the two years since I've graduated. But now I can honestly say that it was worth the wait. I do not live in the US anymore, and I would not trade places with anyone, including those working in the jobs you covet

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Congrats minnbills! :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:06 pm

I got trolled by a recruiter today. Called me this morning, telling me this place wanted to see me b/c they needed to fill the job urgently and then called me this afternoon saying "nah, they really wanted to interview more experienced people. I just thought I could get you in."

Fuck this process hard.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got trolled by a recruiter today. Called me this morning, telling me this place wanted to see me b/c they needed to fill the job urgently and then called me this afternoon saying "nah, they really wanted to interview more experienced people. I just thought I could get you in."

Fuck this process hard.

well they are the lowest of the lows...

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:36 am

Posting on Symplicity for a "Law Clerk Internship." I shit you not, the benefits include: "Unpaid internship." Sure, the firm "Needs YOU!!!," but they don't "Need Need You!!!"

aardvark87

Postby aardvark87 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Out of the vale, sorta.

Accepted a non-legal job, but there is a chance that my degree/experience would be an asset down the line. PM if you'd like more details about the industry and what I've been up to. It's close to where I live, and while the pay isn't great, it'll do. It's a bit humbling, and I have mixed feelings about it, but I've hit a point ('13 grad), where volunteering and low paying, sporadic contract work just isn't going to cut it. I depleted my savings, and frankly, I just need to get out and do something.

I will keep looking for attorney positions, but having a full-time job makes interviewing pretty tough. I can't just peace out for an hour or two for an interview. Plus there is all this stigma about doing anything non-legal. But I gotta eat. Either people will get that or they won't. I can avoid having a resume gap for at least a few months, which is nice (again, PM if you'd like details as to how.)

But it should help my focus, since I will only be applying to stuff I really want. And I hope that somebody actually liking and paying me will give me a confidence boost. It's all kind of liberating in a way. I'm not closing the door on being a practicing attorney, but I'm definitely removing some of my eggs from that basket. And who knows, maybe I'll really like this new field and I'll never look back.

P.S. I've been a longtime lurker, and I just want to thank everyone for just being here. It's been a great source of comfort, and I've enjoyed sharing in people's success.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi all. Haven't had the best few days. Think I may have a rejection letter on the way for my absolute dream job (biglaw v50) post-CB. Calls went out yesterday and my phone has stayed silent.

I had the grades, course focus in the firm's practice area, top grade awards, moot court awards, secondary journal editorial board, 2L SA, business WE...you name it. Non-URM. Really thought I nailed interviews with at least 2 of the 3 partners. I've lost all will to apply to non-biglaw jobs since I know the jobs I've been working my ass off for are being taken by people who are frankly objectively less qualified. This is a repeat of my 2L OCI (23 Interviews (4 from networking/massmail), 5 callbacks (1 from networking), 0 offers). Not sure where to go from here.

Uyry

Postby Uyry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Hello all.

I've been lurking here for years, but have decided to finally register. I am a jobless, licensed 2014 grad. I've read all your stories and am genuinely sad for those of you who don't have jobs yet and happy for those of you who've found jobs. I wish us all the best of luck. We deserve it.

Cheers.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all. Haven't had the best few days. Think I may have a rejection letter on the way for my absolute dream job (biglaw v50) post-CB. Calls went out yesterday and my phone has stayed silent.

I had the grades, course focus in the firm's practice area, top grade awards, moot court awards, secondary journal editorial board, 2L SA, business WE...you name it. Non-URM. Really thought I nailed interviews with at least 2 of the 3 partners. I've lost all will to apply to non-biglaw jobs since I know the jobs I've been working my ass off for are being taken by people who are frankly objectively less qualified. This is a repeat of my 2L OCI (23 Interviews (4 from networking/massmail), 5 callbacks (1 from networking), 0 offers). Not sure where to go from here.

It's easy to lose hope at this point, I know. I got every job offer in law school later than most, and I am absolutely loving where I ended up. 1L, I got that first (and only) offer in February. 2L, I got the first (and only) offer in March. 3L, I got my first offer in March, and my second AFTER the bar exam. If you haven't gotten a ding yet, you may not, but even if you do, things are far from over. Keep hustling, keep looking, and things can still work out for you.

It's probably also worth mentioning that I had a CB at a V100 from my TT law school, and I just knew it would be my dream job. Now that I ended up somewhere else, I've talked to a lot of people who were at that firm, and they all hated it.

Postby 15589 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Hey all,

I've been reading this particular thread for some time now, and tls throughout law school--never posted until now. I went to a ~T40 school (c/o 2014), graduated top 15%, law review, all that, and then I had to move to my home state due to an ongoing family tragedy. I took and passed the bar in my home state, since family obligations are keeping me here, and I've been looking for work since then.

I think the worst part of all this is the total fucking radio silence after applying to places. I had a few (failed) interviews from August-October, but it's really dried up since then. It's gotten to the point where I've actually tested my phone and email several times to see if they weren't somehow broken lol.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and let y'all know that there's another person here in the same predicament as you folks. I'm glad there's a place where we can commiserate--this job search and unemployment have sucked so hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Got an offer yesterday from a firm I interviewed with a few months back, a place I'd really love to be working at. I replied to the email saying that I'd love to work there, but that I had failed the July bar exam. The offer hadn't made clear whether the position required that I had passed the July exam.

Silence.

Called and left a message today.

More silence.

It's gotta be that they're just reconsidering me (but haven't ruled me out), right? I mean, if I wasn't qualified, they would have said so (though they also never got back to me after the interview), right?

Pretty much impossible to focus on anything else right now.

Uyry

Postby Uyry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 pm

15589 wrote:I think the worst part of all this is the total fucking radio silence after applying to places.

I agree. I've experienced radio silence even after having had interviews that I thought went really well, including one last week that lasted 1.5 hours. My following up via email or stationary has made no difference whatsoever.

I've used all the tips and tricks preached by CSO to no avail. And now the holidays are setting in ... God help us. I'm blown away by how many top 35% from my T50 school still don't have jobs. Many have had to move in with parents. Fortunately, my wife makes barely enough to live on. Unfortunately, she's growing more resentful of me by the day.

I'm now applying for jobs in counties and cities I otherwise never would have considered. Texas trash heaps, true bleak-future lands, to say the least.

On a positive note, a couple of months ago I started using UC Berkeley's template for all my cover letters and have enjoyed, if you will, a marked uptick in interview requests. So, at least I have somewhere to go on certain afternoons thanks to Berkeley's CSO.

Uyry

Postby Uyry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pretty much impossible to focus on anything else right now.

I am so sorry. Hang in there. It may just be typical asshat radio silence.

Return to “Legal Employment”