The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! Mind if I ask which market or roughly when you interviewed? Waiting on post-CB news myself


OP here: DC, just keep your head up and keep applying, Im far from the ordinarily biglaw candidate

Also lol at "where do I sign"--it was very hard to not immediately accept yesterday

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! Mind if I ask which market or roughly when you interviewed? Waiting on post-CB news myself


OP here: DC, just keep your head up and keep applying, Im far from the ordinarily biglaw candidate

Also lol at "where do I sign"--it was very hard to not immediately accept yesterday


Thanks, I wasn't waiting on a firm in DC so this is good news :)

Congrats again!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm

I had a CB interview with this IP boutique firm in mid-august, interviewer told me i should be expecting to hear back from them by the end of September, i waited and nothing happened, last week i sent a follow up e-mail to several people who interviewed me, one replied back saying my e-mail was forwarded to their recruitment committee and they should be getting back in "due course" (which sounds extremely vague imo), nothing came up to date. I read that someone else's comment on this firm saying that he/she had gone through the same process but never received a decision, should I just treat this as a rejection and move on? or should I send them another follow up later? :( really appreciate tips/advice dealing with this situation

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Unemployed, no job prospects in sight that will help me pay off my crippling law school debt before I turn 50, and just broke up with my SO of 3 years who has been with me through this all and has been so supportive, but with whom a relationship has become increasingly difficult because of how utterly depressed and pessimistic I have been.

I'm in a pretty dark place right now. Hope everyone is doing better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 pm

I graduated with a 2.9 (median at my school was 3.3). I was on a secondary journal, clerked for a state judge, and am clerking with the state Attorney General's office. I was licensed last week but right now, all I hear are crickets. I was led to understand that if I clerked for the agency, I would be first in line for open jobs. Well I'm watching other clerks get called for interviews and I'm hearing precisely nothing. What am I doing wrong? Are my stats just that bad?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed, no job prospects in sight that will help me pay off my crippling law school debt before I turn 50, and just broke up with my SO of 3 years who has been with me through this all and has been so supportive, but with whom a relationship has become increasingly difficult because of how utterly depressed and pessimistic I have been.

I'm in a pretty dark place right now. Hope everyone is doing better.

This, literally, was me two years ago. All of it. The SO (minus some positive traits), the debt, the no prospects. If you need help or an ear, just ask.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed, no job prospects in sight that will help me pay off my crippling law school debt before I turn 50, and just broke up with my SO of 3 years who has been with me through this all and has been so supportive, but with whom a relationship has become increasingly difficult because of how utterly depressed and pessimistic I have been.

I'm in a pretty dark place right now. Hope everyone is doing better.

This, literally, was me two years ago. All of it. The SO (minus some positive traits), the debt, the no prospects. If you need help or an ear, just ask.


When does it start to get better? It really feels like I have nothing good in my life anymore.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed, no job prospects in sight that will help me pay off my crippling law school debt before I turn 50, and just broke up with my SO of 3 years who has been with me through this all and has been so supportive, but with whom a relationship has become increasingly difficult because of how utterly depressed and pessimistic I have been.

I'm in a pretty dark place right now. Hope everyone is doing better.

This, literally, was me two years ago. All of it. The SO (minus some positive traits), the debt, the no prospects. If you need help or an ear, just ask.


When does it start to get better? It really feels like I have nothing good in my life anymore.

I don't know. It took me about a year of app after app before something happened, and then a lot of good happened all at once. I was working as a cook and living in a tiny one bedroom house with garbage bags to cover the windows that were barely keeping in the home. I just kept trying and trying and trying. It seems like the bad shit will never end, and then one day it does. You'll get there, dooder. You just can't stop.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:40 pm

bjsesq wrote:I don't know. It took me about a year of app after app before something happened, and then a lot of good happened all at once. I was working as a cook and living in a tiny one bedroom house with garbage bags to cover the windows that were barely keeping in the home. I just kept trying and trying and trying. It seems like the bad shit will never end, and then one day it does. You'll get there, dooder. You just can't stop.


Did you do any networking? If so, did networking work out well for you? I went to a networking event yesterday, and I seriously thought that stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil knife would have been more pleasant. Mind you, this event was geared towards welcoming new admittees, so you'd think people might act a little warmer towards the unemployed. Nope, they all had the "don't ask me for anything" look on their faces.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I don't know. It took me about a year of app after app before something happened, and then a lot of good happened all at once. I was working as a cook and living in a tiny one bedroom house with garbage bags to cover the windows that were barely keeping in the home. I just kept trying and trying and trying. It seems like the bad shit will never end, and then one day it does. You'll get there, dooder. You just can't stop.


Did you do any networking? If so, did networking work out well for you? I went to a networking event yesterday, and I seriously thought that stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil knife would have been more pleasant. Mind you, this event was geared towards welcoming new admittees, so you'd think people might act a little warmer towards the unemployed. Nope, they all had the "don't ask me for anything" look on their faces.

I networked, yeah, but much of that was done by involving myself in a couple of political campaigns and reaching out to old friends. I'll be honest, I got lucky. But after 900 or so apps, when does luck become sorta inevitable?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Just got rejected from a firm that I applied to and had an informational interview with…oh well, the partner I spoke to seemed like a dick anyways. My interview skills are fine, gdamnit (Trying to not to fall into the trap of self-pity and self-doubt that was my entire 2L year).

Valers considering non-legal jobs, are you applying to these concurrently with legal job apps or are you waiting until you "exhaust" your legal options?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My interview skills are fine, gdamnit (Trying to not to fall into the trap of self-pity and self-doubt that was my entire 2L year).


Yeah, I've been told my interview skills are fine, too. It's the '08-'13 grads who have "more experience" that keep beating me for jobs that call for 0-3 years' of experience.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got rejected from a firm that I applied to and had an informational interview with…oh well, the partner I spoke to seemed like a dick anyways. My interview skills are fine, gdamnit (Trying to not to fall into the trap of self-pity and self-doubt that was my entire 2L year).

Valers considering non-legal jobs, are you applying to these concurrently with legal job apps or are you waiting until you "exhaust" your legal options?

I did them simultaneously. There is no reason to wait on a golden goose when you have a mangled, but obtainable, mallard staring you in the face.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My interview skills are fine, gdamnit (Trying to not to fall into the trap of self-pity and self-doubt that was my entire 2L year).


Yeah, I've been told my interview skills are fine, too. It's the '08-'13 grads who have "more experience" that keep beating me for jobs that call for 0-3 years' of experience.


Twice I've lost jobs for entry level attorneys (the postings stated first year associates) to attorneys with experience. It sucks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My interview skills are fine, gdamnit (Trying to not to fall into the trap of self-pity and self-doubt that was my entire 2L year).


Yeah, I've been told my interview skills are fine, too. It's the '08-'13 grads who have "more experience" that keep beating me for jobs that call for 0-3 years' of experience.


Twice I've lost jobs for entry level attorneys (the postings stated first year associates) to attorneys with experience. It sucks.


Yeah, I was beat out by a Tommy Jefferson-esque grad to boot.

Law-So-Hard
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Law-So-Hard » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:34 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question or the wrong place to post. Currently waiting on CA Bar results and with a lot of debt + no real ambitions to work in biglaw/private sector I'm planning to can take the Public Interest Forgiveness + IBR route. My plan is to get a job in public interest/any registered nonprofit/government (if I can be lucky enough to find such a job) so I can get in those 10 yrs worth of repayments, regardless of if I am licensed or not. Would be nice to pass the bar, though, and actually practice and go that route. If I don't pass, I'm not going to sweat it and try to get a job anyway.

Anyone with a similar story? Feedback?

Dat real life horror story of debt and unemployment doe.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby hiima3L » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Law-So-Hard wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question or the wrong place to post. Currently waiting on CA Bar results and with a lot of debt + no real ambitions to work in biglaw/private sector I'm planning to can take the Public Interest Forgiveness + IBR route. My plan is to get a job in public interest/any registered nonprofit/government (if I can be lucky enough to find such a job) so I can get in those 10 yrs worth of repayments, regardless of if I am licensed or not. Would be nice to pass the bar, though, and actually practice and go that route. If I don't pass, I'm not going to sweat it and try to get a job anyway.

Anyone with a similar story? Feedback?

Dat real life horror story of debt and unemployment doe.


Are you planning on practicing in CA?

If so, the second you pass, you need to start applying to everything out there. Finding any job is going to be a huge uphill battle at this point. I wouldn't bank on a public sector job.

If you don't pass, start applying for non-law jobs.

andythefir
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby andythefir » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed, no job prospects in sight that will help me pay off my crippling law school debt before I turn 50, and just broke up with my SO of 3 years who has been with me through this all and has been so supportive, but with whom a relationship has become increasingly difficult because of how utterly depressed and pessimistic I have been.

I'm in a pretty dark place right now. Hope everyone is doing better.


Law-So-Hard wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question or the wrong place to post. Currently waiting on CA Bar results and with a lot of debt + no real ambitions to work in biglaw/private sector I'm planning to can take the Public Interest Forgiveness + IBR route. My plan is to get a job in public interest/any registered nonprofit/government (if I can be lucky enough to find such a job) so I can get in those 10 yrs worth of repayments, regardless of if I am licensed or not. Would be nice to pass the bar, though, and actually practice and go that route. If I don't pass, I'm not going to sweat it and try to get a job anyway.

Anyone with a similar story? Feedback?

Dat real life horror story of debt and unemployment doe.


My boss has a job you can have just for sending in a resume. We hired people from T4 law schools who didn't have a minute of relevant work experience because we had 1 spot to fill and 1 resume. $50k, benefits, 40 hour weeks, I have done 8 trials within a month of being sworn in. It's in Carlsbad, NM, which isn't a destination town, but unemployment can end if you're willing to move. In fact, I know of at least 5 rural DA jobs in New Mexico.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby hiima3L » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 am

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed, no job prospects in sight that will help me pay off my crippling law school debt before I turn 50, and just broke up with my SO of 3 years who has been with me through this all and has been so supportive, but with whom a relationship has become increasingly difficult because of how utterly depressed and pessimistic I have been.

I'm in a pretty dark place right now. Hope everyone is doing better.


Law-So-Hard wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question or the wrong place to post. Currently waiting on CA Bar results and with a lot of debt + no real ambitions to work in biglaw/private sector I'm planning to can take the Public Interest Forgiveness + IBR route. My plan is to get a job in public interest/any registered nonprofit/government (if I can be lucky enough to find such a job) so I can get in those 10 yrs worth of repayments, regardless of if I am licensed or not. Would be nice to pass the bar, though, and actually practice and go that route. If I don't pass, I'm not going to sweat it and try to get a job anyway.

Anyone with a similar story? Feedback?

Dat real life horror story of debt and unemployment doe.


...unemployment can end if you're willing to move. In fact, I know of at least 5 rural DA jobs in New Mexico.


New grads need to realize this. The next 1-2 years is going to have an enormous impact on your life. By that I mean, if you're unemployed for the first 1-2 years out of law school, your career may end before it even begins. Doing anything is infinitely better than doing nothing. Working as a DA in rural NM is a significantly better use of one's time than being unemployed anywhere else. Getting an attorney job after being unemployed for an extended period of time is a huge uphill battle and you need to avoid it at all costs.

TL;DR new grads, be as geographically flexible as possible. Don't just focus on cities and metropolitan areas. People in the boonies need attorneys too. I know people from my class who got DA/PD/County Counsel type jobs for the middle-of-nowhere counties in CA with little to no relevant experience.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:01 am

Supposed to hear back about my dream job today. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:54 am

minnbills wrote:Supposed to hear back about my dream job today. Fingers crossed!


Good luck - what kind of job? I've been waiting on the elusive 3L biglaw offer for around 10 days now post-CB. Hope we both get good news

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am

Good luck to you too! It's a clerkship.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:32 pm

I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe it happened for me!

Stick with it guys, if I can do it, you can!!!

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:35 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7960
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:03 pm

minnbills wrote:I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe it happened for me!

Stick with it guys, if I can do it, you can!!!

Congrats!!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.