The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
baal hadad

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight as to why it can be so long between initial interview and CB? I was always under the impression that law firms had an organized timeline for hiring new associates. Is it that there are too many candidates, or is it just the normal course of a busy law firm life? Just wondering.

Busy law firm life + you're not that important

Sucks but that's the way it goes

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Really depends on the firm. I interviewed with a firm back in August, got a rejection a few days later, while a friend of mine JUST got her CB this week with the same firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight as to why it can be so long between initial interview and CB? I was always under the impression that law firms had an organized timeline for hiring new associates. Is it that there are too many candidates, or is it just the normal course of a busy law firm life? Just wondering.

It depends on the firm but my impression is that if you don't get a rejection right away then there's a good chance you are on their holds list.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It depends on the firm but my impression is that if you don't get a rejection right away then there's a good chance you are on their holds list.

This. A few weeks to get their candidates interviewed and make a decision about who they're going to offer, who, if anyone, they're just going to ding, and who they're going to put in limbo until they hear back from offerees.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:40 am

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This. A few weeks to get their candidates interviewed and make a decision about who they're going to offer, who, if anyone, they're just going to ding, and who they're going to put in limbo until they hear back from offerees.

I guess I can understand this for CB--> offer/ding, but the same logic applies to initial interview --> CB?

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I can understand this for CB--> offer/ding, but the same logic applies to initial interview --> CB?

Yes. CB's are expensive, either in time that 10-12 biglaw attorneys could have been billing or in time that small firm/PI attorneys simply don't have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Deleted. Sry wrong thread.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:42 pm

got selected for a screener last week and had it today. The guy immediately said "oh umm wait we were looking for someone with x years experience sorry, but maybe we can keep your resume on file"

my question: how does my resume get pulled for an interview if I don't have the necessary years of experience--my cover letter and resume clearly indicate I'm fresh outta school :x

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the process of applying to a lower-ranked Vault firm in a major market I don't have strong ties to (not NYC).

I've reached out to network with various attorneys but no replies. My narrative for why I want to switch firms is fairly strong (I have experience in their practice area and I was offered by my 2L midlaw firm but for personal/professional reasons I would like to move). I'm wondering what else I can do to capture their attention before I just send off my application to the online application system?

Are they just looking for someone from a local school instead of a T14? Are there any strategies I can use?

Thanks in advance for the advice, everyone.

Oh you have an offer? Wrong thread duder

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Want an entry level PD job? Already have a license in any state? PM me asafp.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Had phone calls with two judges today. I am in the final grouping for both. I am going to LOSE IT if I don't get a clerkship.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Dude, at that level of competition it really isn't something to get upset about if you don't make it. It's mostly about fit if they are interviewing you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Any tips for a top 10% student in St. Louis and who wants to stay in St. Louis?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:37 pm

I entered as a 3L this fall, but had to take a leave of absence mid-way for health reasons, thus pushing my graduation to May 2016. How will this affect me in terms of the jerb hunt?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:got selected for a screener last week and had it today. The guy immediately said "oh umm wait we were looking for someone with x years experience sorry, but maybe we can keep your resume on file"

my question: how does my resume get pulled for an interview if I don't have the necessary years of experience--my cover letter and resume clearly indicate I'm fresh outta school :x

People in charge of HR and recruiting tend to be idiots. I once got a rejection from Steptoe where the HR dude didn't use proper grammar and full sentences. You would think they at least proofread or have a form rejection without errors. Pisses me off when I have to deal with HR people who are obviously nobodies but think they're the shit.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:49 pm

When applying for non-legal jerbs, should I leave the J.D. off the resume?

sundontshine

Postby sundontshine » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 am

BlueLotus wrote:When applying for non-legal jerbs, should I leave the J.D. off the resume?

What type of non legal jobs? You talking consulting or being a bartender?

Either way, the likely answer is no.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:26 pm

sundontshine wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:When applying for non-legal jerbs, should I leave the J.D. off the resume?

What type of non legal jobs? You talking consulting or being a bartender?

Either way, the likely answer is no.

Nonprofits and social services.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Are you going to have a big gap in your resume if you leave it off?

sundontshine

Postby sundontshine » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Puttanesca wrote:

Are you going to have a big gap in your resume if you leave it off?

Having a JD is less of a negative than an unexplainable three year resume gap.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Initial interview was almost a month ago. I was told CB would be "next week or week after," and that they would contact me soon. I followed up two weeks later and was told they were still looking for time to schedule CB and that I would "hear from them soon." It's been 10 days of silence since then. I can only assume this is a ding, and the "hear from soon" means rejection letter via USPS.

OP here. Was told by someone who did firm hiring not to follow up on this because "there's no way they'll forget about you if they liked you." I can see how following up might annoy the person if s/he is just really busy and wouldn't change the outcome either way. I'm just going to let this lie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:00 pm

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:07 pm

I had a personal meeting with a partner at a Chicago vault firm about one month ago. The weekend after our initial meeting he sent an email saying "we'd like to invite you back to meet with more people, the recruiting staff will call you to arrange a time."

Sadly no news or calls since then. I followed up and got reply "give them some time" :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a personal meeting with a partner at a Chicago vault firm about one month ago. The weekend after our initial meeting he sent an email saying "we'd like to invite you back to meet with more people, the recruiting staff will call you to arrange a time."

Sadly no news or calls since then. I followed up and got reply "give them some time" :(

I feel you. Apparently, one month for CB is not a long time. I guess time moves slowly when you're "funemployed."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:28 pm

[Edit]: Put too much personal stuff in this post. Sorry moderators for being annoying.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”