The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Anyone have success with PwC, KPMG, Ernst & Young, Accenture etc. for non law positions?

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:52 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it the general consensus for mass mailing to use USPS? E-mails are not as effective?

don't snail mail


Why?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5707
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BVest » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 pm

minnbills wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it the general consensus for mass mailing to use USPS? E-mails are not as effective?

don't snail mail


Why?


I think the general dings against it are:

You:
Costs more
Takes longer

Employers:
Creates bulk/desk clutter
Have to scan/copy your application to pass it around

ETA: The same doesn't necessarily apply to clerkships, because judges are special. For clerkships it's whether the particular judge wants paper or electronic (and generally you can only do electronic through OSCAR unless the judge has posted the position with a specific email address to send apps to).
Last edited by BVest on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 pm

With online apps its really easy to just look at the GPA or whatever and then toss it out. When I send a hard copy, I'm confident someone will actually look at it.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 pm

minnbills wrote:With online apps its really easy to just look at the GPA or whatever and then toss it out. When I send a hard copy, I'm confident someone will actually look at it.

Lol why? Just as easy to glance at the GPA and toss the paper.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Pleasye wrote:
minnbills wrote:With online apps its really easy to just look at the GPA or whatever and then toss it out. When I send a hard copy, I'm confident someone will actually look at it.

Lol why? Just as easy to glance at the GPA and toss the paper.


The trick is to put the rec letters on top or whatever else you have that's actually good.

I think people have an itch to go through hard copy stuff, honestly.

In any event, and not to brag, I must be doing something right, I'm batting 20% application to interview ratio for clerkships, and I'm a poor student.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 pm

minnbills wrote:The trick is to put the rec letters on top or whatever else you have that's actually good.

I think people have an itch to go through hard copy stuff, honestly.

In any event, and not to brag, I must be doing something right, I'm batting 20% application to interview ratio for clerkships, and I'm a poor student.

Someone just said above that this does not apply to clerkships.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:49 pm

minnbills wrote:With online apps its really easy to just look at the GPA or whatever and then toss it out. When I send a hard copy, I'm confident someone will actually look at it.

I read pretty much every email I receive and always check phone email notifications but throw out almost all mail w out reading bc nothin important comes by mail

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it the general consensus for mass mailing to use USPS? E-mails are not as effective?

don't snail mail


Really? Hm. Do you put the cover letter in the body e-mail or attach as PDF/Doc?

I always attached cover letter as a PDF and wrote something short in the email, i.e. "Hi, I'm HGL, a 2013 graduate of NU. I'm interested in ______. My resume, cover letter, and writing sample (or whatever) are attached."

And NEVER attached .doc files to an email. Always PDF. That should go without saying.

Did this

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22865
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Pleasye wrote:
minnbills wrote:The trick is to put the rec letters on top or whatever else you have that's actually good.

I think people have an itch to go through hard copy stuff, honestly.

In any event, and not to brag, I must be doing something right, I'm batting 20% application to interview ratio for clerkships, and I'm a poor student.

Someone just said above that this does not apply to clerkships.

Yeah, paper is credited for clerkships, but everything I've seen on this site says to e-mail when you mass mail firms. The hiring practices are so different, it makes sense that applying would be different, too.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 pm

Do I need a color photo to put on my admissions ticket for the MPRE?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5707
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BVest » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 pm

minnbills wrote:Do I need a color photo to put on my admissions ticket for the MPRE?


You do need a photo. I don't recall if color was required. BTW, they'r very strict about their rules of what's allowed in. Some things that I did not expect to be banned were, like analog watches.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread. Anyone know if the CB ---> offer timeline differs for 3Ls? Been about a week and a half since I did a CB in NY. Not sure how to interpret the silence as anything but bad news but trying to remain hopeful. Thanks.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread. Anyone know if the CB ---> offer timeline differs for 3Ls? Been about a week and a half since I did a CB in NY. Not sure how to interpret the silence as anything but bad news but trying to remain hopeful. Thanks.

There is no timeline

Follow up at appropriate times

ZyzzBrah
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ZyzzBrah » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:35 am

phone screener (mass mail biglaw) with a practice group I have no experience in, should be interesting :lol:


wish me luck tls, I'll need it for sure

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:41 am

ZyzzBrah wrote:phone screener (mass mail biglaw) with a practice group I have no experience in, should be interesting :lol:


wish me luck tls, I'll need it for sure

GL brother knock it out

User avatar
JoanSloan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JoanSloan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:27 am

There is no timeline

Follow up at appropriate times


I'm on the same boat. Channel the anxiety towards a new deluge of applications.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:15 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread. Anyone know if the CB ---> offer timeline differs for 3Ls? Been about a week and a half since I did a CB in NY. Not sure how to interpret the silence as anything but bad news but trying to remain hopeful. Thanks.

There is no timeline

Follow up at appropriate times


Initial interview was almost a month ago. I was told CB would be "next week or week after," and that they would contact me soon. I followed up two weeks later and was told they were still looking for time to schedule CB and that I would "hear from them soon." It's been 10 days of silence since then. I can only assume this is a ding, and the "hear from soon" means rejection letter via USPS.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread. Anyone know if the CB ---> offer timeline differs for 3Ls? Been about a week and a half since I did a CB in NY. Not sure how to interpret the silence as anything but bad news but trying to remain hopeful. Thanks.

There is no timeline

Follow up at appropriate times


Initial interview was almost a month ago. I was told CB would be "next week or week after," and that they would contact me soon. I followed up two weeks later and was told they were still looking for time to schedule CB and that I would "hear from them soon." It's been 10 days of silence since then. I can only assume this is a ding, and the "hear from soon" means rejection letter via USPS.

Follow up again in a few days

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Couple of DA jobs available in the city of Breaking Bad if anyone with a license is interested, PM me and I will get you details.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:28 pm

baal hadad wrote:
ZyzzBrah wrote:phone screener (mass mail biglaw) with a practice group I have no experience in, should be interesting :lol:


wish me luck tls, I'll need it for sure

GL brother knock it out

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Another follow-up question. Had an interview with a partner where recruiting was not involved at all in setting up the interview (sent my materials to him and he contacted me to set up the screener.) Haven't heard anything, tried to follow-up and he hasn't responded to any of my emails. Thoughts on what to do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:08 pm

7 weeks since my callback. 7 stinking weeks. Silence. Going crazy.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another follow-up question. Had an interview with a partner where recruiting was not involved at all in setting up the interview (sent my materials to him and he contacted me to set up the screener.) Haven't heard anything, tried to follow-up and he hasn't responded to any of my emails. Thoughts on what to do?


How long since last email?
ETA: and how many emails have you sent and in what timeframe?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Does anyone have insight as to why it can be so long between initial interview and CB? I was always under the impression that law firms had an organized timeline for hiring new associates. Is it that there are too many candidates, or is it just the normal course of a busy law firm life? Just wondering.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.