The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bgg2011 wrote:I too applied and got referred for the USCIS position. However, I've been referred a number of times with nothing else happening beyond that.

I'm a second-year law clerk shopping around for positions with firms etc. I'll be following along to see if anyone hears anything on the USCIS front.

Yeah, unfortunately, getting referred just seems to mean you meet the minimal requirements - you have a J.D. and the number of years of experience required. It's not really any comment on the merits of your app. But good luck all!

I'm not sure that is exactly the case because the initial threshold to pass is eligibility, which seemingly encompasses those factors you just listed.

Yes, being referred to the selecting official means you were in the top # of applications that the office decided to review, not that you met minimum requirements. The problem is, each official takes a different # of applications per job spot... so it might mean you were in their top 10, or it might mean you were in their top 100.

Sorry to mislead - that was how it was explained to me once, but clearly that was wrong, or I misunderstood.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all residents of the Vale. Here's to forgetting our sorrows for a few hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Happy St. Patrick's Day to all residents of the Vale. Here's to forgetting our sorrows for a few hours.

Maybe the Easter Bunny will drop an offer on some Vale residents. :)

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am

I just got an e-mail a few months after my application saying "thank you for submitting your application, we will be contacting applicants for interviews soon." Sadly, that non-rejection is literally the closest I've come to obtaining a position all year. And it's probably just a very nicely worded pre-rejection. Sigh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 am

Nothing forever, like not even responses from firms. Recently had two in-house interviews (with another coming up), and a firm. Driving 1000 miles today and tomorrow to NYC for another market-paying interview... its the only way I could get it. So, things are moving a bit faster for me at least.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nothing forever, like not even responses from firms. Recently had two in-house interviews (with another coming up), and a firm. Driving 1000 miles today and tomorrow to NYC for another market-paying interview... its the only way I could get it. So, things are moving a bit faster for me at least.

If you can afford it, try to do some partying in NYC. Try to have some fun to keep sane. Call any non-LS friends you have there. And good luck.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Made final 35 for the position I wanted. Office was happy that budget allowed for 35 hires. 2 weeks later budget was apparently cut to 25. Guess who got dinged? Back to the Vale...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Made final 35 for the position I wanted. Office was happy that budget allowed for 35 hires. 2 weeks later budget was apparently cut to 25. Guess who got dinged? Back to the Vale...

SHIT bro

I'm sorry

That smarts man

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Been following this thread for awhile, but haven't posted. Not a 3L (2012 grad) but I may have snagged an offer from a small IP-firm. Got an interview with the hiring partner through my boss at the corporation I am at now (in-house IP). Just got a call from the firm asking me for an in-depth meeting next week. Pretty excited, but still not sure about the logistics and salary. Making about meager wage now at current gig, so looking for an upgrade to an actual attorney position. Hopefully this is my lucky break!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Made final 35 for the position I wanted. Office was happy that budget allowed for 35 hires. 2 weeks later budget was apparently cut to 25. Guess who got dinged? Back to the Vale...

Jesus. That blows hard. If gubmint, any chance for priority hiring in another office, admin agency, or similar?

studebaker07 wrote:Been following this thread for awhile, but haven't posted. Not a 3L (2012 grad) but I may have snagged an offer from a small IP-firm. Got an interview with the hiring partner through my boss at the corporation I am at now (in-house IP). Just got a call from the firm asking me for an in-depth meeting next week. Pretty excited, but still not sure about the logistics and salary. Making about meager wage now at current gig, so looking for an upgrade to an actual attorney position. Hopefully this is my lucky break!

"Welcome." And our sympathies. Cheap hard liquor's on the left. How many are your old classmates are in the vale with us?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm

studebaker07 wrote:Been following this thread for awhile, but haven't posted. Not a 3L (2012 grad) but I may have snagged an offer from a small IP-firm. Got an interview with the hiring partner through my boss at the corporation I am at now (in-house IP). Just got a call from the firm asking me for an in-depth meeting next week. Pretty excited, but still not sure about the logistics and salary. Making about meager wage now at current gig, so looking for an upgrade to an actual attorney position. Hopefully this is my lucky break!

Good luck bro

I know how good getting those interviews feels

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
"Welcome." And our sympathies. Cheap hard liquor's on the left. How many are your old classmates are in the vale with us?

Thanks for the warm welcome. At this stage, I estimate that at least 30% of my classmates are in the same boat. I am technically counted as employed, but I call it underemployment. If those kinds of jobs are factored in, I think the 30% figure gets bumped to 50%, maybe more.

rad lulz wrote:
I know how good getting those interviews feels

TyTy. Hoping it is my big break. Firm is small, but quickly growing in a region where entrepreneurs with IP needs are abundant. Firm seems pretty untraditional in its structure, but lead partner is hungry to grow and looking for young blood. And I am underemployed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Jesus. That blows hard. If gubmint, any chance for priority hiring in another office, admin agency, or similar?

Just the standard "You were a great candidate and if the bidget allows we would love to have you apply again with us as soon as possible". To be honest with you I fully plan on (hopefully_ passing the bar and applying again as I really liked the office and hope I have a leg up on any other applicants given this series of events, but still, I'm pissed.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Oops, didnt mean to post anon. I am the above poster.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nothing forever, like not even responses from firms. Recently had two in-house interviews (with another coming up), and a firm. Driving 1000 miles today and tomorrow to NYC for another market-paying interview... its the only way I could get it. So, things are moving a bit faster for me at least.

At least you are getting interviews. In this economy, that is all you can ask for. Good luck.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Is this a Pittsburgh firm? Curious to know how it's doing vis-a-vis Philly right now.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Without outing yourself, what kind of govt jerb was it?

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Barbell, what an awful fucking stomach punch. Sorry about that bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Girlfriend accepted an offer yesterday from a boutique firm in the city we wanted, doing the type of law she wants. She is near the bottom of our class at TTT, so if she can do it then there is hope for everyone. So keep your head high and keep persisting.

She got this job by hustling. Called numerous attorneys that practiced the field of law she wanted for "informational interviews," just to ask questions about how to break into the field and what not. These were good because it got her name out there while not seeming pushy about wanting a job. One of those attorneys then forwarded on her resume to a firm that was hiring, and the rest is now history.

I already have my job set up, so it is nice to finally be done and to start looking for places to live.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Girlfriend accepted an offer yesterday from a boutique firm in the city we wanted, doing the type of law she wants. She is near the bottom of our class at TTT, so if she can do it then there is hope for everyone. So keep your head high and keep persisting.

She got this job by hustling. Called numerous attorneys that practiced the field of law she wanted for "informational interviews," just to ask questions about how to break into the field and what not. These were good because it got her name out there while not seeming pushy about wanting a job. One of those attorneys then forwarded on her resume to a firm that was hiring, and the rest is now history.

I already have my job set up, so it is nice to finally be done and to start looking for places to live.

Grats brah and lady brah. My netwerkz is stalling, b/c I haven't been able to get any solid new people to talk about. It's much easier to talk to someone when a mutual acquaintance gives you a name, but that hasn't been happening. Ah well, all I can do is nut up and cold call/email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Yo what are your guyz thoughts on doing compliance jobs? In light of the legal mkt I've been doing some research on non-law "jd preferred" jobs in case things don't work out with practicing law after graduation.

Even though compliance jobs mostly just require a bachelor's degree, it seems as though once you get experience doing the job for a while you can make a pretty decent amount as a career. Also, these past 3yrs won't seem to have been entirely a waste seeing that you'll be using your legal background/skills to some degree on the job. Any thoughts??

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yo what are your guyz thoughts on doing compliance jobs? In light of the legal mkt I've been doing some research on non-law "jd preferred" jobs in case things don't work out with practicing law after graduation.

Even though compliance jobs mostly just require a bachelor's degree, it seems as though once you get experience doing the job for a while you can make a pretty decent amount as a career. Also, these past 3yrs won't seem to have been entirely a waste seeing that you'll be using your legal background/skills to some degree on the job. Any thoughts??

There was a window last summer where I thought I'd be in a compliance/in house hybrid position post LS. Pharma is booming on the consulting side, look for compliance startups in your area. The work is boring but the hours are easy and you'll be brought in as a 2-3 year associate with the LS background.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:26 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I just got an e-mail a few months after my application saying "thank you for submitting your application, we will be contacting applicants for interviews soon." Sadly, that non-rejection is literally the closest I've come to obtaining a position all year. And it's probably just a very nicely worded pre-rejection. Sigh.

I seem to recall you are at a midwest school. How are the prospects going for your class overall?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yo what are your guyz thoughts on doing compliance jobs? In light of the legal mkt I've been doing some research on non-law "jd preferred" jobs in case things don't work out with practicing law after graduation.

There was a window last summer where I thought I'd be in a compliance/in house hybrid position post LS. Pharma is booming on the consulting side, look for compliance startups in your area. The work is boring but the hours are easy and you'll be brought in as a 2-3 year associate with the LS background.

Curious as to how you go about finding these?

Return to “Legal Employment”