The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jsa725

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Jsa725 wrote:@crump: GL you will kill it.

Thank you <3 <3

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:02 pm

NP crumps, go get em!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:42 am

Landed in here after a disappointing summer at a non-vault firm, but recently received an offer from a V50 non-NYC/DC/LA office that excels in the exact kind of work I want to do. Median 3L at T10. Good luck all

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Landed in here after a disappointing summer at a non-vault firm, but recently received an offer from a V50 non-NYC/DC/LA office that excels in the exact kind of work I want to do. Median 3L at T10. Good luck all

Congrats!

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

minnbills wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Landed in here after a disappointing summer at a non-vault firm, but recently received an offer from a V50 non-NYC/DC/LA office that excels in the exact kind of work I want to do. Median 3L at T10. Good luck all

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:36 pm

I think 2 weeks is pretty standard.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I think 2 weeks is pretty standard.

Agree

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Just popping in to see how it's going, cause I'll probably be here next year. Best of luck, everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 am

Anyone here going (or went) through the Washington State Attorney General hiring process?

Looking to see if there has been any movement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here going (or went) through the Washington State Attorney General hiring process?

Depends. Had a friend who did not receive a second round interview. Did you receive a second round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here going (or went) through the Washington State Attorney General hiring process?

Depends. Had a friend who did not receive a second round interview. Did you receive a second round interview?

They held 3rd round interviews the past two weeks. Waiting on a word back from that round.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They held 3rd round interviews the past two weeks. Waiting on a word back from that round.

Figured. Sorry, no insight.

onceagain2zelda

Postby onceagain2zelda » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They were meeting with the second round interviewers last week. Hopefully we will be hearing early next week :)

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:54 pm

What title sounds better for resume/Linkedin: "Volunteer Law Clerk" or "Legal Intern"?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:03 pm

BlueLotus wrote:What title sounds better for resume/Linkedin: "Volunteer Law Clerk" or "Legal Intern"?

Just law clerk.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm

If I don't get one of these clerkships I think I will walk away from law. I had my 4th interview yesterday. One more Monday.

If this doesn't work out I don't know what I will do

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 pm

minnbills wrote:If I don't get one of these clerkships I think I will walk away from law. I had my 4th interview yesterday. One more Monday.

If this doesn't work out I don't know what I will do

Do you mind if I ask why you are clerkship or bust? Just curious what your overarching career goals are.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:08 pm

I want to be in private practice. My dream is to practice for a really good small or midsize firm - to get there I plan on doing a specialty clerkship. Because I'm not at the top of the class I spent the last year working myself to death so I could tailor my resume for these clerkships. It's been working so far because I am getting quite a few interviews, but I am just worried sick it won't pan out.

skrubba5025

Postby skrubba5025 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:28 pm

onceagain2zelda wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They were meeting with the second round interviewers last week. Hopefully we will be hearing early next week :)

I'm waiting for this call as well. Been a long process, hoepfully we are all successful.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

Just asking for some genuine advice as I'm at my wit's end. I was a long time Valer, did not have a job at graduation (2013 grad), but landed a job at a midsize boutique in the east coast right after the bar. I worked there for 6 months but was let go for economic/restructuring reasons (was lucky enough to get a reference later stating this was the case). I passed the New York bar after graduation and just recently passed the bar of my home state.

I went to a T14 school, graduated with a GPA in the pretty low 3's (I know, not fantastic, but had a horrendous first semester GPA and worked my way slowly out of that hole over the course of law school). I am lucky enough to be able to live with my parents and not be worrying about rent, but it's been almost 8 months since I was laid off, and despite pounding the pavement and networking and following up, it seems either my grades still haunt me or come up (I've been pretty active in filling out the rest of my resume to avoid having them define me, particularly my 1L grades), or I get the same, "you went to a great school, something great will turn up" or "wow, you have great credentials, were not hiring, the market is bad, I don't know anyone who is hiring but you'll land on your feet" or "I'll pass your materials along to so and so and have you follow up", "you have great credentials, you just need experience, that's your biggest obstacle, when you have 2-3 years of experience you would be a great fit for our firm/company etc," and it just seems like it's all a circuitous route to nowhere.

I thought passing the bar of my home state, where I've been networking like mad during law school, and as soon as I knew I was moving out of the east coast and back home, I also networked like mad each trip back and via email, and have been doing so in the two months since I've been here, but it seems like passing the bar hasn't changed the game at all and is merely a gold star that doesn't mean much.

Even the things I have going for me, having gone to a reputable private school in the state that has a massive and strong network here, has not really done anything. I feel as though I have been doing everything right and just cannot seem to have anything stick or have anything lead to anything tangible or even turn into a soft lead. I really don't mean to sound entitled if that's how I am coming off, I really am not, I definitely do not have that sense of "I went to a top school, and even though I'm a K-JD I'm definitely awesome and deserve such and such job," I definitely don't have that, I just want to land something even at low pay while I can live at home and save on expenses, so that I can build up some experience and my resume and try to save as much as I can over the next few years and eventually use that to leverage into a higher paying and perhaps more fulfilling legal position that may be more closely aligned with the areas of practice I want to get into.

Like I said, sort of at my wit's end, especially after 7-8 months no job after having had a job for those 6 months, and trying to really fight the feeling of depression and trying to have some semblance of feeling like my law degree has enough worth to land something that pays a living wage and is something I at least somewhat enjoy doing. Any advice would be appreciated, I have pretty thick skin, even harsh constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Hey guys, I'm ordinarily not the type to repost something I've posted earlier if no responses, but I'm honestly doing this because nothing I'm doing seems to be working and I'm truly open to any ideas anyone can think of. I mean literally fearing that I am going to be unemployed with zero legal work or JD preferred work of any kind for much longer than the 7 months it has been already. My undergrad degree was a useless one and I was K-JD so I don't have a previous career or say a finance background I can turn to. Again, any advice, suggestions, criticism, words of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Hey guys, I'm ordinarily not the type to repost something I've posted earlier if no responses, but I'm honestly doing this because nothing I'm doing seems to be working and I'm truly open to any ideas anyone can think of. I mean literally fearing that I am going to be unemployed with zero legal work or JD preferred work of any kind for much longer than the 7 months it has been already. My undergrad degree was a useless one and I was K-JD so I don't have a previous career or say a finance background I can turn to. Again, any advice, suggestions, criticism, words of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you willing to work a non-legal job? If you are, try to find something in a field related to the type of law you want to practice. As an example, if you were interested in health law, get a job in an administrative position at a healthcare facility.

I had to find another job in the meantime since my legal job has a 2015 start date, so I did something similar to what I wrote above. Although it is not an attorney position, I am learning things that could be very useful in the future as an attorney. Zero experience in that field.

You could try using a staffing agency if you need job leads. The agencies vary tremendously in quality though. Just don't do doc review.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Things will work out for you, brother… You got this! Stay positive.

Thanks brother

Return to “Legal Employment”