The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kronk

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:42 pm

anon sequitur wrote:What time of year do smaller PD and DA's offices (not ones that recruit nationally) start looking for applicants? Does it vary by region? It seems like most of the ones I've talked to on the East coast don't want to look at applicants until spring or later (after bar even). Same in the west, California, etc.?

Gonna hate not knowing for the next 8 months at least..

I think it just varies by office. My office just hires when they have an opening, period. Although I don't know what you mean by smaller. We only have 5 attorneys in my office. There are about 4 offices in my district supervised by the same elected DA, for a total of maybe 14-15 attorneys over four counties.

But even the larger DA office I worked for (District was around 400,000 people total) only hired when they had openings. They don't do annual hiring like larger urban offices or state-wide offices.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:47 pm

It seems like a lot of our hiring in this state (southwest) happens either in march or in September. Don't know why, honestly.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Speaking of which, for people already with bar license or graduating in December:

ADA job in BFE southwest available.

Also foreclosure & bankruptcy associate position in medium sized southwest city.

Also insurance defense job in small city available.

PM me for any of the above and I'll give you details. This state has a temp. bar license program if barred in another state - but you'd have to take our bar afterwards.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:57 pm

spleenworship wrote:Speaking of which, for people already with bar license or graduating in December:

Also foreclosure & bankruptcy associate position in medium sized southwest city.

PM me for any of the above and I'll give you details. This state has a temp. bar license program if barred in another state - but you'd have to take our bar afterwards.

What does BFE stand for?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:08 pm

In the middle of nowhere.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:09 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Speaking of which, for people already with bar license or graduating in December:

What does BFE stand for?

Butt Fuck Egypt.

QuickQuestionAsker88

Postby QuickQuestionAsker88 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm

If anyone has any insight I'd love some help!

I'm a 3L at a T14 in the Northeast, and after doing some networking an alum brought me in to interview with his 25-person non-NALP firm. Apparently they have 1 spot open. I met with 5 partners individually (including him), all of whom were on the hiring committee, for about 40 minutes a piece. They then brought me in for a second round of interviews with 4 more partners on the hiring committee (2 of which were co-managing partners).

Does anybody know what that means? Does it mean I was on the fence and they needed to make sure? I've never heard of a second round of callbacks. Also, is it a terrible sign if no one responded to my thank you notes?

Thanks for your input!

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:47 pm

QuickQuestionAsker88 wrote:If anyone has any insight I'd love some help!

I'm a 3L at a T14 in the Northeast, and after doing some networking an alum brought me in to interview with his 25-person non-NALP firm. Apparently they have 1 spot open. I met with 5 partners individually (including him), all of whom were on the hiring committee, for about 40 minutes a piece. They then brought me in for a second round of interviews with 4 more partners on the hiring committee (2 of which were co-managing partners).

Does anybody know what that means? Does it mean I was on the fence and they needed to make sure? I've never heard of a second round of callbacks. Also, is it a terrible sign if no one responded to my thank you notes?

Thanks for your input!

Means the second group wanted to meet you

Not uncommon

So apparently the first grp didn't hate you

No responses to thank yous is normal

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Well, my day brightened up a bit after that clerkship thing. I got an interview with the Judge I've been targeting all along. Relieves some of the sting for sure.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:11 pm

minnbills wrote:Well, my day brightened up a bit after that clerkship thing. I got an interview with the Judge I've been targeting all along. Relieves some of the sting for sure.

Congrats!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Good luck to quick and minns!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 pm

I think I just had a panic attack. Long story short, I work at a non-profit that will likely go out of business at the end of this month or at the end of next month. I've been job hunting for government affairs jobs for almost a year - nothing. To add to the problems, my roommate is moving out and I haven't been able to find anyone to replace her.

I had a job interview today for a job that is basically a sweat shop. Analyze legislation all day every day - sometimes up to 1500 a bills a day - which just seems impossible to me. All for $40k, in DC, no benefits, and they expect you work Saturdays during the "busy season." I'll probably find out about this job tomorrow or Monday, forcing me to leave my job that is, at least, better than that, earlier than I'd want to. All because I can't risk having nothing. I just can't believe what my life has come to. I feel hopeless, and just generally fucked, and I just don't know what to do. In the past things have always worked out at the last minute for me, but, it's getting pretty fucking damn near the last minute.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Even if you have to take that shitty job though, peach, it would only be until you found something better. No benefits and low pay? They can't expect you to have any loyalty.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:Even if you have to take that shitty job though, peach, it would only be until you found something better. No benefits and low pay? They can't expect you to have any loyalty.

I don't think they do. Glassdoor says they pretty much just work employees til' they can't take it any more and quit. Then they get new ones. My concern is that if i'm working that hard, I'll just be brain dead and exhausted when I get home and unable to put out any great cover letters. Plus, I'm worried they won't let me take off time for interviews (i'm not sure if this concern is justified or not).

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:49 am

Could you get a doc review position? That sounds better than a sweatshop and probably pays the same.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 am

worldtraveler wrote:Could you get a doc review position? That sounds better than a sweatshop and probably pays the same.

Is doc review a scarlet letter for PI as it is for firms?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 am

BlueLotus wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Could you get a doc review position? That sounds better than a sweatshop and probably pays the same.

Is doc review a scarlet letter for PI as it is for firms?

Wondering this as well. But, my non-profit does rent office space from a doc review company, and I get along fairly well with the Director of Doc review, so i'm planning on asking him about it today anyway. Worst case, I figure I can just leave it off my resume.

I seriously can't get over my life right now though. Last night my heart was pounding so hard I couldn't sleep. And to top it off, my roommate moved out this morning, and I'm having an oddly hard time finding a replacement. And my health insurance company wouldn't enroll me because they said I was missing documents (I was not). Does anyone else feel like everything hits at once? Sorry for adding all the unrelated rants, I just think that combined, it's making it hard for me to calmly handle life right now. I know I've snapped - because I feel like I might just start crying at any minute. Please tell me this has happened to someone else?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 am

Just started much-needed therapy. Hope it makes the Vale experience more palatable. :)

thatgirlthere

Postby thatgirlthere » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:01 am

Anybody at a DC school (or nearby) willing to trade Symplicity access? PM me

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:06 am

Peach, you're not alone. I had a similarly crappy time last year and as quickly as it all went to shit it all came back together. Hang in there.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:43 am

BlueLotus wrote:Just started much-needed therapy. Hope it makes the Vale experience more palatable. :)

It did for me

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks guys. I think I've somewhat calmed down. So, I just gotta keep my head up, and keep applying to everything I see. Good luck BlueLotus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:01 pm

I found therapy to be very helpful for the "oh shit, what have I done" anxiety that set in during 1L about having quit my job of 15 years with decent salary, moved my family, and my wife was having trouble finding work in the new location.

I think most people think they can't do therapy because they can't afford to go every week for the rest of their lives, but unless you're Woody Allen you really only need it as a purge valve when things get really bad. I only went three times, but just getting a few of those items off my chest and then knowing that if it got bad again I could go back was very calming. I also had a similar experience with it earlier in life after a traumatic experience.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I found therapy to be very helpful for the "oh shit, what have I done" anxiety that set in during 1L about having quit my job of 15 years with decent salary, moved my family, and my wife was having trouble finding work in the new location.

I think most people think they can't do therapy because they can't afford to go every week for the rest of their lives, but unless you're Woody Allen you really only need it as a purge valve when things get really bad. I only went three times, but just getting a few of those items off my chest and then knowing that if it got bad again I could go back was very calming. I also had a similar experience with it earlier in life after a traumatic experience.

I really really hope that seeking help (thru meds and therapy) doesn't come back to bite me in the ass when C&F time rolls around. :|

Return to “Legal Employment”