The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5700
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BVest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 pm

minnbills wrote:Had the clerkship interview OF MY LIFE yesterday. If I don't get this thang I don't think I ever will find a job.


Good vibes.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 am

Ok. So heres the goldman sachs thing my career services sent me:

http://www.goldmansachs.com/a/data/jobs/28976.html

FYI, might be looking for people with experience, fucking boomer assholes.

Sorry it took so long. I ended up using my phone because now that i dont law school - i just dont use the laptop unless videogames.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JJDancer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:03 am

Puttanesca wrote:
JJDancer wrote:I'm a graduate awaiting bar results. I haven't had much luck so far through symplicity etc. But I have two non law firm opportunities to consider. A little background: I'm interested in employment litigation/general commercial litigation.

One opportunity is sort of interning (for a stipend) at a general counsel for a university. I still need to interview for it etc but I'm not sure it's a good fit because it would probably involve no litigation work. I have already done some transactional/contract work before so I would have some of the skills for it but I'm not sure it's starting my post-grad career path the right way. Still I think it's good to have the interview just to practice interviewing/have a potential position.

The other is the City Attorney's CIVIL division (also a situation where I would have a grant from elsewhere to subsidize the volunteering). This opportunity would allow me to get more litigation experience, albeit in a different (but interesting) field. They have a labor relations division as well but it's not litigation, it's more advisory and drafting. While I'm fine with that, I'm not sure I would want to work only with that department if there is basically no employment litigation work to also contribute to...

Anyone want to help me evaluate which of these opportunities, if any, might be best. I'm trying to balance my desire to begin working with making sure I'm not just jumping into anything that comes my way even if it's not the best fit with my interests.

Thank you!


If you're interested in litigation, the City Attorney is the better bet. Even if the litigation experience is not in employment law, it will be easier for you to sell in the future why you want to do lit if you have actually done it. Will you have the opportunity to appear in court or administrative hearings once you are licensed?

Also, do you only work with one division within the civil division, or will you be able to work with different divisions? If you can work with different divisions, you might be able to find employment litigation somewhere. For example, if there's a police division, would they deal with employment claims from terminated former officers?

Thanks for the input. I think you're right.
Will you have the opportunity to appear in court or administrative hearings once you are licensed? --> good question that I planned on asking during the interview
Also, I can only do one division. I basically have to interview and get hired into the division. But I think if I do the litigation part, it's good since it's litigation experience. If I do labor relations, it's good because it's employment related and I can say it strengthened my interest but I really wanted to do employment litigation, not just advisory.

Thanks!

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:41 am

minnbills wrote:Had the clerkship interview OF MY LIFE yesterday. If I don't get this thang I don't think I ever will find a job.


Best of luck, minnbills! Sending good vibes your way. :)

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:01 am

Any of you Valers worried sick about C&F delays and the jerb search? I am concerned about the possibility of passing the bar, getting a jerb and then being kicked out due to significant delays. I know that PD/Legal Aid want folks who can get court experience as quick as possible :|

Speaking of the bar, do public interest employers give you a 2nd chance if you've failed the bar like many big firms do?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7667
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:31 am

BlueLotus wrote:Any of you Valers worried sick about C&F delays and the jerb search? I am concerned about the possibility of passing the bar, getting a jerb and then being kicked out due to significant delays. I know that PD/Legal Aid want folks who can get court experience as quick as possible :|

Speaking of the bar, do public interest employers give you a 2nd chance if you've failed the bar like many big firms do?


It's October. You have a whole year to get any C & F issues worked out.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:23 am

worldtraveler wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Any of you Valers worried sick about C&F delays and the jerb search? I am concerned about the possibility of passing the bar, getting a jerb and then being kicked out due to significant delays. I know that PD/Legal Aid want folks who can get court experience as quick as possible :|

Speaking of the bar, do public interest employers give you a 2nd chance if you've failed the bar like many big firms do?


It's October. You have a whole year to get any C & F issues worked out.


I know, I know. I don't even know which state I will end up in!

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:25 am

BlueLotus wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Any of you Valers worried sick about C&F delays and the jerb search? I am concerned about the possibility of passing the bar, getting a jerb and then being kicked out due to significant delays. I know that PD/Legal Aid want folks who can get court experience as quick as possible :|

Speaking of the bar, do public interest employers give you a 2nd chance if you've failed the bar like many big firms do?


It's October. You have a whole year to get any C & F issues worked out.


I know, I know. I don't even know which state I will end up in!


If you know you have some C&F problems you may want to accelerate figuring out what state you want to land in so you can get your bar app in as early as possible.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12744
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby LeDique » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:30 am

It really depends on the state whether you can do anything about it. At least in CO, it doesn't matter when you submit C&F. Nothing happens with it (If you're potentially getting dinged) until you get your letter with bar results.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:55 am

LeDique wrote:It really depends on the state whether you can do anything about it. At least in CO, it doesn't matter when you submit C&F. Nothing happens with it (If you're potentially getting dinged) until you get your letter with bar results.


Well, yeah, this too.

Again, kind of depends on what your issues are and the particular state's attitude on them, although proactively addressing them is (as I understand it) points in your favor wherever you are.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12744
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby LeDique » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:11 pm

And if you can look up stats, that will probably be reassuring too. CO stats are like 800 people pass, only about 30 get hassled for "inquiry panels" aka come tell us you're sorry and you won't do it again, and then of those 30, only like 5 get sent to the next step where you can actually get rejected. So you have very narrow odds of being delayed at all here, and even then, they make a huge effort to get the panels done so everyone can be sworn in at the same time.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:19 pm

LeDique wrote:And if you can look up stats, that will probably be reassuring too. CO stats are like 800 people pass, only about 30 get hassled for "inquiry panels" aka come tell us you're sorry and you won't do it again, and then of those 30, only like 5 get sent to the next step where you can actually get rejected. So you have very narrow odds of being delayed at all here, and even then, they make a huge effort to get the panels done so everyone can be sworn in at the same time.


Hmmmm...CO seems like an attractive potential state, for a variety of reasons if you get my drift. :wink:

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12744
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby LeDique » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:22 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
LeDique wrote:And if you can look up stats, that will probably be reassuring too. CO stats are like 800 people pass, only about 30 get hassled for "inquiry panels" aka come tell us you're sorry and you won't do it again, and then of those 30, only like 5 get sent to the next step where you can actually get rejected. So you have very narrow odds of being delayed at all here, and even then, they make a huge effort to get the panels done so everyone can be sworn in at the same time.


Hmmmm...CO seems like an attractive potential state, for a variety of reasons if you get my drift. :wink:

I know this is TLS but no, I will not hook up with you. At least not until you PM me pics or something.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:28 pm

LeDique wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
LeDique wrote:And if you can look up stats, that will probably be reassuring too. CO stats are like 800 people pass, only about 30 get hassled for "inquiry panels" aka come tell us you're sorry and you won't do it again, and then of those 30, only like 5 get sent to the next step where you can actually get rejected. So you have very narrow odds of being delayed at all here, and even then, they make a huge effort to get the panels done so everyone can be sworn in at the same time.


Hmmmm...CO seems like an attractive potential state, for a variety of reasons if you get my drift. :wink:

I know this is TLS but no, I will not hook up with you. At least not until you PM me pics or something.


:lol:

I wish PD apps and fellowships didn't take so looooong. I wanna know where I'll spend the greater part of my adult life.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:19 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
LeDique wrote:And if you can look up stats, that will probably be reassuring too. CO stats are like 800 people pass, only about 30 get hassled for "inquiry panels" aka come tell us you're sorry and you won't do it again, and then of those 30, only like 5 get sent to the next step where you can actually get rejected. So you have very narrow odds of being delayed at all here, and even then, they make a huge effort to get the panels done so everyone can be sworn in at the same time.


Hmmmm...CO seems like an attractive potential state, for a variety of reasons if you get my drift. :wink:


I do, and yeah, just make sure you're honest about that on your apps. all of them.

PD would probably work well for you then. :P

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:27 pm

So after my last interview, which went great, they got back to me and said they want to interview another candidate who has more experience and that it will take a long time to sort out.

What the fuck do I have to do to get a job?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28128
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:29 pm

LeDique wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
LeDique wrote:And if you can look up stats, that will probably be reassuring too. CO stats are like 800 people pass, only about 30 get hassled for "inquiry panels" aka come tell us you're sorry and you won't do it again, and then of those 30, only like 5 get sent to the next step where you can actually get rejected. So you have very narrow odds of being delayed at all here, and even then, they make a huge effort to get the panels done so everyone can be sworn in at the same time.


Hmmmm...CO seems like an attractive potential state, for a variety of reasons if you get my drift. :wink:

I know this is TLS but no, I will not hook up with you. At least not until you PM me pics or something.


biggest bluff in tls history

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jbiresq » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:31 pm

minnbills wrote:So after my last interview, which went great, they got back to me and said they want to interview another candidate who has more experience and that it will take a long time to sort out.

What the fuck do I have to do to get a job?


I hear ya brother. When I have a great interview they want someone with more experience, when I have an OK interview they want someone with less.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28128
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm

minnbills wrote:So after my last interview, which went great, they got back to me and said they want to interview another candidate who has more experience and that it will take a long time to sort out.

What the fuck do I have to do to get a job?


are you currently working somewhere?

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Kronk wrote:
minnbills wrote:So after my last interview, which went great, they got back to me and said they want to interview another candidate who has more experience and that it will take a long time to sort out.

What the fuck do I have to do to get a job?


are you currently working somewhere?


I am working somewhere part time, I'm still in school. This was for a clerkship, they are waiting to interview someone else who is currently clerking. Apparently there is a scheduling issue.

Please don't quote - I am taking this down shortly.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12744
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby LeDique » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Kronk wrote:
biggest bluff in tls history


Image

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28128
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:39 pm

LeDique wrote:
Kronk wrote:
biggest bluff in tls history


Image


:lol: :lol:

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:04 pm

-

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:30 pm

What time of year do smaller PD and DA's offices (not ones that recruit nationally) start looking for applicants? Does it vary by region? It seems like most of the ones I've talked to on the East coast don't want to look at applicants until spring or later (after bar even). Same in the west, California, etc.?

Gonna hate not knowing for the next 8 months at least..

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28128
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm

minnbills wrote:
Kronk wrote:
minnbills wrote:So after my last interview, which went great, they got back to me and said they want to interview another candidate who has more experience and that it will take a long time to sort out.

What the fuck do I have to do to get a job?


are you currently working somewhere?


Please don't quote - I am taking this down shortly.



Gotcha. I know it's hard not to worry, but you still have a lot of time. It gets a lot easier to get a job once you've passed the bar or are within a couple weeks of getting your results. I got 2 offers within a week of passing. So keep your head up and just know that you'll be about 4x more employable in a few months.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.