The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seahawks2014

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby seahawks2014 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I honestly don't have a good story besides I worked hard and didn't do well. No excuses, felt like getting creative and saying parents divorced or dog died.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm a graduate awaiting bar results. I haven't had much luck so far through symplicity etc. But I have two non law firm opportunities to consider. A little background: I'm interested in employment litigation/general commercial litigation.

One opportunity is sort of interning (for a stipend) at a general counsel for a university. I still need to interview for it etc but I'm not sure it's a good fit because it would probably involve no litigation work. I have already done some transactional/contract work before so I would have some of the skills for it but I'm not sure it's starting my post-grad career path the right way. Still I think it's good to have the interview just to practice interviewing/have a potential position.

The other is the City Attorney's CIVIL division (also a situation where I would have a grant from elsewhere to subsidize the volunteering). This opportunity would allow me to get more litigation experience, albeit in a different (but interesting) field. They have a labor relations division as well but it's not litigation, it's more advisory and drafting. While I'm fine with that, I'm not sure I would want to work only with that department if there is basically no employment litigation work to also contribute to...

Anyone want to help me evaluate which of these opportunities, if any, might be best. I'm trying to balance my desire to begin working with making sure I'm not just jumping into anything that comes my way even if it's not the best fit with my interests.

Thank you!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:05 pm

seahawks2014 wrote:I honestly don't have a good story besides I worked hard and didn't do well. No excuses, felt like getting creative and saying parents divorced or dog died.

1. Don't lie 2. Neither of those is sufficient, IMO (especially the dog death, but I'm not sure if you were kidding)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Pleasye wrote:
seahawks2014 wrote:I honestly don't have a good story besides I worked hard and didn't do well. No excuses, felt like getting creative and saying parents divorced or dog died.

1. Don't lie 2. Neither of those is sufficient, IMO (especially the dog death, but I'm not sure if you were kidding)

I'm totally kidding. I just say I worked hard, didn't do well, then met with professors, kept grinding my face off, stuck with it, then started to kick ass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Pleasye wrote:
seahawks2014 wrote:So I am a T6 grad in the vale for a while. Shit has been slow since taking the NY bar, just one callback. However, in the last week I have received FOUR interviews. TWO in one day. Two would set me up on a great path with ok pay. The other two are vault firms. I have had a god awful track record in interviews. The vale life has ruined many of my personal relationships. Hopefully I snag one of these and end the misery.

Good luck you got this.

Things have picked up for me too (T6 grad) and have gotten a couple Vault interviews in the past month. Though I'm totally sick of interviewing. Putting shit together, asking the right questions, making sure I'm calm and confident and then getting rejected. I can't take it anymore. I'm currently volunteering but I have no motivation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
seahawks2014 wrote:So I am a T6 grad in the vale for a while. Shit has been slow since taking the NY bar, just one callback. However, in the last week I have received FOUR interviews. TWO in one day. Two would set me up on a great path with ok pay. The other two are vault firms. I have had a god awful track record in interviews. The vale life has ruined many of my personal relationships. Hopefully I snag one of these and end the misery.

Good luck you got this.

Things have picked up for me too (T6 grad) and have gotten a couple Vault interviews in the past month. Though I'm totally sick of interviewing. Putting shit together, asking the right questions, making sure I'm calm and confident and then getting rejected. I can't take it anymore. I'm currently volunteering but I have no motivation.

Jealous that you guys are getting interviews for actual jobs-- is this through symplicity as well? I went to t6 too and I have an interview tomorrow ... for doc review

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:03 pm

So I'm in the vale and trying to get a job as either a PD or a DA, but it's not working out so far. Luckily, my school will give me a fellowship for PI work, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Should I try to get a fellowship at my dream job (San Diego federal PD, or PDS in DC), hoping either to get hired there or use the line on my resume to get interviews/hired somewhere else?

My thoughts are, I wasn't able to get hired the first time around at my top jobs, I'm afraid that even if I got the fellowship, I'd have no real shot at continuing on afterward. On the other hand, if i got to a less prestigious position, and strike out, then I might not be much better off than before the fellowship.

Any common wisdom for this sort of thing?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm

JJDancer wrote:I'm a graduate awaiting bar results. I haven't had much luck so far through symplicity etc. But I have two non law firm opportunities to consider. A little background: I'm interested in employment litigation/general commercial litigation.

One opportunity is sort of interning (for a stipend) at a general counsel for a university. I still need to interview for it etc but I'm not sure it's a good fit because it would probably involve no litigation work. I have already done some transactional/contract work before so I would have some of the skills for it but I'm not sure it's starting my post-grad career path the right way. Still I think it's good to have the interview just to practice interviewing/have a potential position.

The other is the City Attorney's CIVIL division (also a situation where I would have a grant from elsewhere to subsidize the volunteering). This opportunity would allow me to get more litigation experience, albeit in a different (but interesting) field. They have a labor relations division as well but it's not litigation, it's more advisory and drafting. While I'm fine with that, I'm not sure I would want to work only with that department if there is basically no employment litigation work to also contribute to...

Anyone want to help me evaluate which of these opportunities, if any, might be best. I'm trying to balance my desire to begin working with making sure I'm not just jumping into anything that comes my way even if it's not the best fit with my interests.

Thank you!

If you're interested in litigation, the City Attorney is the better bet. Even if the litigation experience is not in employment law, it will be easier for you to sell in the future why you want to do lit if you have actually done it. Will you have the opportunity to appear in court or administrative hearings once you are licensed?

Also, do you only work with one division within the civil division, or will you be able to work with different divisions? If you can work with different divisions, you might be able to find employment litigation somewhere. For example, if there's a police division, would they deal with employment claims from terminated former officers?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:36 pm

So I'm in LA and go to school in LA, but want to apply to bay area jobs. Should I use a bay area address on my resume or does that look weird since I am obviously currently in LA.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:54 am

Pleasye wrote:So I'm in LA and go to school in LA, but want to apply to bay area jobs. Should I use a bay area address on my resume or does that look weird since I am obviously currently in LA.

I use a PA address when I am applying to jerbs in Philly to show my ties to the region.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 am

Pleasye wrote:So I'm in LA and go to school in LA, but want to apply to bay area jobs. Should I use a bay area address on my resume or does that look weird since I am obviously currently in LA.

Put both on your resume. I used to put a school address and a permanent/home address on my resume. Seemed to work well.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am

If you have a legit bay area address you have genuine ties to (i.e. not just your friend's sister's house or something) then use it. If not, list both.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Good luck you got this.

Jealous that you guys are getting interviews for actual jobs-- is this through symplicity as well? I went to t6 too and I have an interview tomorrow ... for doc review

For the Vault firms, one was from Symplicity and one was just a cold email to the head of a firm's corporate/private equity dept (which is apparently booming right now.) If places are hiring they tend to be in the Corporate departments, which is great because they seem to be the most "you're a failure if you haven't worked in a firm" kind of attorneys. If you want to trade postings, PM me.

I've also had luck going through legal recruiters oddly enough, which people told me was impossible as a graduate.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:07 pm

I did this and was asked by a firm why the discrepancy in addresses (my current job at the time was based in SoCal, which was listed in my resume; my contact address listed my parents' house in the Bay): I just replied truthfully that I was from the Bay, had no problems moving back at a moment's notice, etc.

To my knowledge, its not a big deal.

Also, have you requested reciprocity to access any bay area law school symplicity sites?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Sorry, to clarify, I'm from LA but have a Bay Area address I could use. I guess it might complicate things if asked about it. I just have no other apparent ties on my resume (all LA jobs).

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:26 pm

So I'm in a unique position. I have a fellowship through bar results, but it's thin so I'm working two other jobs to help with expenses. My goal before, during, and now after law school is to do regulatory enforcement.

State government doesn't start hiring until you pass the bar, so I just have to wait. I have irons in the fire, and am fairly confident I will have work by 2015. I just came here to complain.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Pleasye wrote:Sorry, to clarify, I'm from LA but have a Bay Area address I could use. I guess it might complicate things if asked about it. I just have no other apparent ties on my resume (all LA jobs).

As long as the Bay Area address is a somewhat legitimate connection, I think it's still okay to list both your current address and a "local" address for the Bay Area. If it's your grandparent's house, uncle's house, etc., it should be fine to list. If it's your third cousin or friend of a friend type of deal, that's too much of a stretch. When I applied to jobs in another city, I used my uncle's address as my "home" address. I was never asked about where that address came from. I did have other connections to the city though because I went to undergrad there.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:55 pm

A great PSLF-eligible posting for you do-gooder Valers:

STAFF ATTORNEY

Worcester, MA
Application Deadline: 10/25/2014

ASCENTRIA CARE ALLIANCE- IMMIGRATION LEGAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
http://www.ascentria.org/ILAP
Date Posted: 10/13/2014
Job Type: ATTORNEY
Schedule Type: Full Time

Practice Areas: Civil Rights & Liberties/Racial Justice Issues, Domestic Violence, Immigration, International Law/Human Rights

Job Description
Position Description: The Staff Attorney represents eligible noncitizen clients to apply for asylum, U visas for victims of crime, and relief under the Violence Against Women Act. The attorney also conducts advocacy, education, and other outreach activities to raise awareness of immigration relief for victims of violent crime.

Essential Responsibilities:
Conduct initial intake for the Ascentria Survivors of Domestic Violence Program to assess eligibility for immigration relief and make appropriate referrals to victim service providers and other relevant community partners.
Provide legal advice, relevant referrals, and representation to eligible asylum seekers and victims of domestic violence in immigration matters.
Provide training to community partners, the general public, and the private bar about immigration relief for victims of domestic violence and the unique challenges of working with immigrant victims of crime.
Provide mentorship and support to pro bono attorneys accepting domestic violence referrals from the Ascentria Immigration Legal Assistance Program.
Complete regular grant reports for funding to support the Survivors of Domestic Violence Program and coordinate with the financial and management teams at Ascentria to ensure compliance with grant regulations.
Attend regular meetings with community partners including the Coordinated Community Response to Domestic Violence Roundtable, U/T Visa Working Group Meetings, and staff meetings.

Qualifications
Qualifications:
Must have 1-3 years of experience practicing immigration law.
Must have valid license to practice law.
Strong Spanish language skills (i.e., ability to speak, understand, read, and write) are preferred.
Must have excellent research and writing skills, outstanding oral communication skills, strong organizational skills, an ability to work collaboratively with other staff, and self-motivation.
Must have knowledge of or experience in immigration law.
Must be adept at interacting with a wide variety of people and comfortable working in a busy, open work environment.
Must have a demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice. Prior experience in a public interest setting is highly desirable.

Salary
$41,000+ (depending on experience.)

Language(s): Spanish

Application Instructions:
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to majobs@ascentria.org. Please reference job #10081404. In the letter of interest, we encourage you to include information about your experience working directly with low-income clients, any immigration experience you have, and any history of public interest work. Additionally, as Ascentria actively seeks to maintain a diverse workforce in every way, we encourage you to include a brief discussion of how you may add to the diversity of the program and/or what different perspectives you might be able to bring to the job.

Contact Information:
Julie Dahlstrom
Phone: 508-579-2072
jdahlstrom@ascentria.org
11 Shattuck Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Application Deadline: 10/25/2014

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:37 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:

I did this and was asked by a firm why the discrepancy in addresses (my current job at the time was based in SoCal, which was listed in my resume; my contact address listed my parents' house in the Bay): I just replied truthfully that I was from the Bay, had no problems moving back at a moment's notice, etc.

To my knowledge, its not a big deal.

My spouse quit their job when we moved for law school and applied for jobs in advance of the move. They got nary a nibble until we took possession of our apartment and they changed the address on their resume to a local address. Not necessarily determinative, but probably useful nonetheless.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Pleasye wrote:Sorry, to clarify, I'm from LA but have a Bay Area address I could use. I guess it might complicate things if asked about it. I just have no other apparent ties on my resume (all LA jobs).

As long as the Bay Area address is a somewhat legitimate connection, I think it's still okay to list both your current address and a "local" address for the Bay Area. If it's your grandparent's house, uncle's house, etc., it should be fine to list. If it's your third cousin or friend of a friend type of deal, that's too much of a stretch. When I applied to jobs in another city, I used my uncle's address as my "home" address. I was never asked about where that address came from. I did have other connections to the city though because I went to undergrad there.

It's my boyfriend's address. How do I go about putting both on my resume? Just add it underneath my normal address?

Pleasye
123 TLS St, Los Angeles, CA
456 Bay area st, SF, CA

This doesn't look weird?

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 pm

sounds complicated, just stay in LA

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:40 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

It's my boyfriend's address. How do I go about putting both on my resume? Just add it underneath my normal address?

Pleasye
456 Bay area st, SF, CA

This doesn't look weird?

Use just one address. But only use a reliable address. (Not going away; faith that mail will be forwarded to you/brought to your attention).

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

Pleasye
456 Bay area st, SF, CA

This doesn't look weird?

When I had two addresses on my resume, I had my name in the middle with my phone number and email address directly under it. On the line below that, I had my school address on the left side and on the same lines but right justified, I put my "local" address (and I identified each address directly above it as school or local). I wanted to keep my current address on there so that I would receive mail from potential employers where I actually lived. FWIW. my CSO said the way I did it with two addresses was fine.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Had the clerkship interview OF MY LIFE yesterday. If I don't get this thang I don't think I ever will find a job.

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

Pleasye
456 Bay area st, SF, CA

This doesn't look weird?

Mine looks like this:
NAME
Current: address while in LS  Phone #  email
Permanent: Parent's address

If you plan on living their post grad it could easily be dismissed if they ask. Just say something about how it is you and your boyfriends apartment where you will be moving post grad.

Return to “Legal Employment”