The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:12 am

minnbills wrote:If no one else worked on the sample (i.e. edited it) you should mention that as well.

True, true. I figure it would also be a good idea to mention in the cover sheet that all of my client’s identifying information has been altered to honor her confidentiality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:19 am

How is this?

Dear [Hiring Attorney],

The enclosed ten-page writing sample is from a legal memorandum prepared for my supervising attorneys in my internship at [Organization] in the summer of 2013. The case presented one issue regarding immigration: whether a client’s conviction of possessing an instrument of crime with intent to employ it criminally, a violation of 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 907(a), constitutes a crime involving moral turpitude, or CIMT. No person other than myself edited this writing sample. In addition, all of my client’s identifying information has been altered to protect her confidentiality pursuant to Rule 1.6 of the Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct.

Warmly,
Me

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 am

For some reason "warmly" always creeps me out.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:27 am

Try to shorten it down to 2-3 sentences, and you don't need to mention the rule, just say client information was altered, they'll know why you did it.

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

Ditto. Too personal. You wouldn't sign your letters with similar adjectives:
Dear XX:

XXXXX.

Moistly,
Me.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:46 am

JoanSloan wrote:

Ditto. Too personal. You wouldn't sign your letters with similar adjectives:
Dear XX:

XXXXX.

Moistly,
Me.

Lol. Regards, Sincerely, and Cordially, are fine, right?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:32 am

I've never cast the cover page for my writing sample as a letter with salutation and closing -
I'd just go with the body of the letter on its own.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Well I am officially defeated. Worked for as a staff attorney at a litigation boutique for 2 years, but knew that the position was going to go nowhere. Became a law clerk for a federal magistrate judge for a year and then followed that with a federal district court judge for another year. Federal district court clerkship ended two months ago and haven't been close to securing a job anywhere.

Today I finally start working again.....as a sales associate at a pop-up halloween store. So while my classmates are getting married, buying homes, having kids, and making partner, I am stocking plastic masks and fake blood on the shelves of a former grocery store. I'm trying to stay positive, but I feel like every decision and opportunity I've pursued have been wrong. I thought clerking for two federal judges would help, but it seems to have made matters worse. It feels sickening knowing that I was writing the entire opinion in a discrimination case two months ago and the most substantive thing I will write at work will be .99 cent price tags.

Hope everyone else is having a better Columbus Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32 pm

I know someone else just made a depressing post and I hate to add to the sadness around here, but I just have to because I need some kind of motivation or help or something.

I was a summer associate in 2013, no-offerred by a terrible firm that I think had no intention of actually hiring me from the get-go. I graduated in May from a top 50 school, cum laude, pretty good experience throughout LS, and a good personality I think. I had some opportunities over the summer that didn't end up working out, but I came close to securing something multiple times, just not close enough. Since moving back in with my parents I have been totally empty, depressed, and I can't snap out of it. I haven't been trying hard enough, I know this, but I'm just so lost. Just wanted to write this down somewhere. I'm broke and life sucks. Hope other valers are doing better.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Not quite the right place, but since I'm not technically in an attorney job I thought I'd ask. Due to family stuff, I didn't take the bar in July after graduation and instead took a JD-preferred job in the legal department of a property management company. I don't practice law, but I do deal with legal issues, insurance, compliance, etc. and work under the general counsel. Since I intend to parlay this gig into a job practicing law after I take the bar in either February or July, and my employer is really flexible with job titles, what do we think I should change my job title to? It's currently Risk Manager, but I want it to better reflect that I'm actually in the legal department without risking UPL issues.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:42 pm

chrisbru wrote:Not quite the right place, but since I'm not technically in an attorney job I thought I'd ask. Due to family stuff, I didn't take the bar in July after graduation and instead took a JD-preferred job in the legal department of a property management company. I don't practice law, but I do deal with legal issues, insurance, compliance, etc. and work under the general counsel. Since I intend to parlay this gig into a job practicing law after I take the bar in either February or July, and my employer is really flexible with job titles, what do we think I should change my job title to? It's currently Risk Manager, but I want it to better reflect that I'm actually in the legal department without risking UPL issues.

First of all, my condolences about the recent deaths in your family. :(

Secondly, in your resume you can list your title as "Risk Manager" but mention in the description that you're in the legal department. Or say in parentheses after the name of the property management company, "Legal Department".

I don't think you'll run into UPL issues so long as you make clear that you're not currently barred and that you're not currently holding yourself out as an attorney.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 pm

Anyone know of someone who got fired from a FTLT jerb because of significant C&F delays? I have issues. :|

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:19 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Not quite the right place, but since I'm not technically in an attorney job I thought I'd ask. Due to family stuff, I didn't take the bar in July after graduation and instead took a JD-preferred job in the legal department of a property management company. I don't practice law, but I do deal with legal issues, insurance, compliance, etc. and work under the general counsel. Since I intend to parlay this gig into a job practicing law after I take the bar in either February or July, and my employer is really flexible with job titles, what do we think I should change my job title to? It's currently Risk Manager, but I want it to better reflect that I'm actually in the legal department without risking UPL issues.

First of all, my condolences about the recent deaths in your family. :(

Secondly, in your resume you can list your title as "Risk Manager" but mention in the description that you're in the legal department. Or say in parentheses after the name of the property management company, "Legal Department".

I don't think you'll run into UPL issues so long as you make clear that you're not currently barred and that you're not currently holding yourself out as an attorney.

I like Risk Manager (Legal Department). Good call!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:01 pm

For those graduated and licensed, what do you do with your time? I find myself done with everything related to job-searching (e.g., look at listings, e-mailing networking contacts, cold-mailing firms) by 10:30 every morning, then I just putz around watching daytime TV and playing video games. I would like to be more productive.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those graduated and licensed, what do you do with your time? I find myself done with everything related to job-searching (e.g., look at listings, e-mailing networking contacts, cold-mailing firms) by 10:30 every morning, then I just putz around watching daytime TV and playing video games. I would like to be more productive.

Attending local bar association events, coffee dates with alums, CLEs, volunteering in a legal capacity, building foreign language skills, to name a few. GL!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:21 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those graduated and licensed, what do you do with your time? I find myself done with everything related to job-searching (e.g., look at listings, e-mailing networking contacts, cold-mailing firms) by 10:30 every morning, then I just putz around watching daytime TV and playing video games. I would like to be more productive.

Attending local bar association events, coffee dates with alums, CLEs, volunteering in a legal capacity, building foreign language skills, to name a few. GL!

Do you have tips for schmoozing at local bar events? I went to an out-of-state school, so I'm starting from scratch building contacts. I've been to a few, and as soon as I mention I'm unemployed, I notice a moat building itself around me. I try not to appear desperate since I'm just looking to meet people, but this just seems to happen.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Do you have tips for schmoozing at local bar events? I went to an out-of-state school, so I'm starting from scratch building contacts. I've been to a few, and as soon as I mention I'm unemployed, I notice a moat building itself around me. I try not to appear desperate since I'm just looking to meet people, but this just seems to happen.

I too go to an out of state lawl school. Do you have access to an alum directory? I'm sure your Career Services has something like that available. Look for alums of your school in your city and invite them for a lunch/coffee date. They are very eager to help out a younger version of themselves, whether it is referring you to contacts who are hiring, revising your resume, etc.

Re: bar association events, I think the whole "moat effect" is all in your head. Wear your best suit, appear confident, and just put your name out there! If someone is especially helpful/insightful at one of these events, send a thank you note and add them on Linkedin so you'll be remembered. Maybe they'll go to bat for you.

Also, for networking, I highly recommend Guerilla Tactics.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 pm

This was me last year. I did an internship at a local PD office. I got great experience, and everyone there helped me with my job hunt because they all liked me but just didn't have the budget to hire me. My friends who graduated without jobs all did something similar, and it worked out pretty well for people. I liked it because I had something to fill my days that was productive. I learned a lot, and I had something to put on my resume for that time. I also had plenty of time to go on interviews and all that because they all knew I was looking for a full time job, so my hours were very flexible when I needed them to be. So I'd recommend doing something similar in the field you want to go into, especially if you have to build your network from scratch. In my opinion, interning for people who are well connected is probably the best way to network.

seahawks2014

Postby seahawks2014 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:39 am

So I am a T6 grad in the vale for a while. Shit has been slow since taking the NY bar, just one callback. However, in the last week I have received FOUR interviews. TWO in one day. Two would set me up on a great path with ok pay. The other two are vault firms. I have had a god awful track record in interviews. The vale life has ruined many of my personal relationships. Hopefully I snag one of these and end the misery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:46 am

seahawks2014 wrote:So I am a T6 grad in the vale for a while. Shit has been slow since taking the NY bar, just one callback. However, in the last week I have received FOUR interviews. TWO in one day. Two would set me up on a great path with ok pay. The other two are vault firms. I have had a god awful track record in interviews. The vale life has ruined many of my personal relationships. Hopefully I snag one of these and end the misery.

Mind sharing how you found the positions? My school's symplicity has been dead for awhile. Thanks! And good luck of course.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:54 am

seahawks2014 wrote:So I am a T6 grad in the vale for a while. Shit has been slow since taking the NY bar, just one callback. However, in the last week I have received FOUR interviews. TWO in one day. Two would set me up on a great path with ok pay. The other two are vault firms. I have had a god awful track record in interviews. The vale life has ruined many of my personal relationships. Hopefully I snag one of these and end the misery.

Good luck! Calm and confident!

seahawks2014

Postby seahawks2014 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:12 am

Symplicity for two, cold email for one, and one through networking. One I sent in my resume and transcript in July and they reached out to me yesterday. My story is unique though, horrible first three semesters of law school, then went ape shit the last three. Ripped my CCN a new one pretty much.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:16 am

seahawks2014 wrote:Symplicity for two, cold email for one, and one through networking. One I sent in my resume and transcript in July and they reached out to me yesterday. My story is unique though, horrible first three semesters of law school, then went ape shit the last three. Ripped my CCN a new one pretty much.

Do you have a good story for why your first three semesters were horrible? (i.e. illness, family)

I had an AWFUL 1L spring (sub-3.0), and I'm scared re: employers who ask for transcripts. Thankfully not many PI places ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 am

Checking in - no offered after evals came in, biggest issue was that I never asked enough questions (but when I did, atty got annoyed).

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Good luck you got this.

Return to “Legal Employment”