The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
baal hadad

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Chuck59 wrote:I think this has been discussed before, but does anyone have insights on how a 3L callback at NALP firms might differ from the 2L experience? Any insights on questions/general tone/CB->Offer ratio/timelines/etc.?

Doesn't differ at all except be prepared to talk ab your 2l summer experience and why you want to work at a law firm if u did govt, etc

Timeline is whenever they get around to it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 am

Grad awaiting bar results in CA -- is anyone getting interviews right now?

I mean, I've applied to a few places and sent out some mass mail inquiries and I get rejected immediately. Most of the postings, even those for junior associates, expect at least 1 year experience/bar passage. I'm a pretty strong interviewer, I just can't seem to get any interviews! My grades are pretty much median, so that doesn't help, but I don't even think they're considering me.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 am

ash0117 wrote:I've finally accepted my place in the Vale. I am a 3L on the hunt for a public defender/ legal aid/ non-prof/ PI law job. I spent both summers at PD offices and that is my ultimate goal. I applied to about 15 places through EJW, still waiting to hear. Does anyone know of any other PD/ legal aid places that hire entry level?

Miami PD and San Diego FPD hire recent grads every year.

Scruffy_the_Janitor

Postby Scruffy_the_Janitor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Checking in. Lookin' to put down my mop and bucket and get into a public defender office.

Already applied through EJW and directly to some offices. Considering applying to state appellate judges for a clerkship.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Just snagged an interview for a clerkship. I did a jig in my room I was so excited.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

minnbills wrote:Just snagged an interview for a clerkship. I did a jig in my room I was so excited.

Nice job! Getting that interview is more than half the battle. Just go in there with realistic expectations and nail it.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm

minnbills wrote:Just snagged an interview for a clerkship. I did a jig in my room I was so excited.

WHOOOOO!!! You're gonna KILL IT man. KILL IT. <3

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks guys! I am so pumped

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 am

2nd round interview request w/ Miami SAO. Doing the minnbills jig right now.

Also, congrats minnbills!

- groot

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 pm

minnbills wrote:Thanks guys! I am so pumped

Domin8.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 am

GL, minnbills! Knock 'em dead. You got this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:54 am

Just got an email alert job posting for a bilingual criminal law associate. . .pay range $30-50k. Want to cry.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email alert job posting for a bilingual criminal law associate. . .pay range $30-50k. Want to cry.

cry of happiness or sadness?

and damn, that is a pretty big pay range. :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email alert job posting for a bilingual criminal law associate. . .pay range $30-50k. Want to cry.

$30k for a bilingual attorney? sadness. $30k for an attorney?! I'm making more than that now as a "paralegal/law clerk" I made more than before doling out thousands for law school. What in the world are these people doing?!

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

$30k for a bilingual attorney? sadness. $30k for an attorney?! I'm making more than that now as a "paralegal/law clerk" I made more than before doling out thousands for law school. What in the world are these people doing?!

$30k is totally normal for entry-level attorneys. I mean, look at this thread. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who will apply for that position.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 pm

hiima3L wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

$30k is totally normal for entry-level attorneys. I mean, look at this thread. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who will apply for that position.

+1. I just got an interview with a legal aid org on a Native American reservation in NM/AZ that pays $32,500. And I am so stoked about the possibility of working there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Need TLS help fwiw:

I know the yield rate is pretty low when it comes to mass mailing. And the rejections are gonna sting once again. Nevertheless, I plan to trudge along. I'm a 4L/T14/~3.1 GPA :roll:. Planning on mass mailing a major market. I'm heavy on the business side, took a few tax classes, banking, corp/bankruptcy so I want to hit on those points. Two questions:
1. Is it better to be practice area specific in the cover letters or more general such as "corporate"? Seems like a double edged sword so which one doesn't cut as deep?
2. Am I just wasting my time here given my stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Quick question on what I should do about these two options:

So I have been networking a lot for the last year or so. Just sat for bar exam and awaiting results. I am volunteering for a rather well liked solo firm in the area. My resume has been passed around apparently and I have got two calls for interviews. One firm wants me to call them again when I get bar results, while the other wants to hire me on as a law clerk with no promise for work as a junior associate. Should I take the job for a law clerk or wait a few more weeks, forego the law clerk position, and try for the junior associate position at the other firm? It is a bit of a risk, as the junior associate position would be predicated on passing the bar. So there is a risk I get neither.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 pm

I don't understand why you can't work at the firm as a clerk for now and then call the other one once you get results.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 pm

^^^

Because the options are time sensitive and I would rather not tarnish my reputation by taking a law clerk position and then folding on it in the next month by jumping ship to another firm. I think that would look bad in the local community.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^

Because the options are time sensitive and I would rather not tarnish my reputation by taking a law clerk position and then folding on it in the next month by jumping ship to another firm. I think that would look bad in the local community.

did you even ask? Any small firm in my area that made a clerking offer like that would 100% understand exactly what I suggested, and even encourage it. But in my area, geographic and practice, they're not assholes.

sgoodman

Postby sgoodman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Last edited by sgoodman on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 am

This doesn't make sense. They offered you a law clerk position with no promise of giving you an offer - why do you owe them anything but to work until you are in the position to receive an offer? Work as a clerk for now and then contact the other firm once you (hopefully, good luck!) pass OR you may end up with an offer from the firm you clerk for. Increase your chances of getting a job.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:28 am

Yeah this doesn't tarnish your reputation anyways. This is how you move up in the world these days. You take the best offer today. If tomorrow you have better options you take the best offer that day. Doing anything other than that is not only a disservice to yourself but makes you look like a pushover.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 am

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1. I just got an interview with a legal aid org on a Native American reservation in NM/AZ that pays $32,500. And I am so stoked about the possibility of working there!

Congratulations and good luck! But the position you're describing is public interest and expected to be at the low end of the pay grade, and is eligible for student loan forgiveness, etc. The $30,000 offer in the OP was a for-profit crim. law firm--and it is NOT normal in the market they're hiring for. I'm just not sure how any person in the market this position was located would live on $30k with student loans if not living in a tent.

Return to “Legal Employment”