The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crumpetsandtea

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Interviewing soon for 1 open spot (at place i want to work).

I am seriously so scared/want it so much I might die. (deleted) I don't want to get my hopes up but I want it sooooooooooooooooooo bad.
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Off the Vale, received offer at Vault 100 firm in mid size market.

It is a grind but you can do it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:06 pm

^ Texas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Got interview from The Bronx Defenders (Family Defense Practice) and DNA People's Legal Services!

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got interview from The Bronx Defenders (Family Defense Practice) and DNA People's Legal Services!

Congrats! Did you apply directly or through EJW/OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:00 pm

a.psu wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got interview from The Bronx Defenders (Family Defense Practice) and DNA People's Legal Services!

Congrats! Did you apply directly or through EJW/OCI?

thru oci

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:22 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I don't want to get my hopes up but I want it sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

I hope you get it.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:28 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I don't want to get my hopes up but I want it sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

I hope you get it.

): Me too...but I'm going to assume I don't. Setting my hopes high just to have them brutally crushed might seriously make me depressed. Like, actually, literally depressed, not in a figurative "that will make me really sad" way.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:50 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Interviewing soon for 1 open spot (at place i want to work).

I am seriously so scared/want it so much I might die. (deleted) I don't want to get my hopes up but I want it sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

Good luck good luck good luck good luck!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 pm

a.psu wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
a.psu wrote:Is anyone applying to public interest jobs - primarily direct services in NY/NYC? I would love if you could recommend additional threads or we could exchange thoughts on the subject.

I think there is already a PI thread.

Do you happen to have the link? I found few PI threads but would love to read more...

I'm phoning it in. :wink: But it's something like "so you want to do PI." Sorry.

Good luck to everyone with interviews. Kill it!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

I hope you get it.

): Me too...but I'm going to assume I don't. Setting my hopes high just to have them brutally crushed might seriously make me depressed. Like, actually, literally depressed, not in a figurative "that will make me really sad" way.

Being serious, but not trying to be hurtful in any way or in any way disparage you or anyone else feeling this way ITT. You should consider counseling and/or antidepressants now before the stress gets worse. I wish I'd started about this time last year instead of trying to tough it out to get into JAG. In the long run it would've made me and my family so much happier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Texas?

Virginia.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:14 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

I hope you get it.

Been there and done that. If you need someone to talk to please don't hesitate to PM.

To those still in the Vale: you can and will get out. It took me a GD year and it was brutal, and I still don't know how financially speaking I'll ever get my footing, but my job has been an absolute slam dunk in terms of fit. I'm getting assignments I thought I might never get to do in my career and loads of responsibility, and it's just...sometimes I look around my office when I run short of assignments and get bewildered that this is my office and I'm actually doing what I always hoped to do.

Good luck.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 pm

I've finally accepted my place in the Vale. I am a 3L on the hunt for a public defender/ legal aid/ non-prof/ PI law job. I spent both summers at PD offices and that is my ultimate goal. I applied to about 15 places through EJW, still waiting to hear. Does anyone know of any other PD/ legal aid places that hire entry level?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:07 pm

ash0117 wrote:I've finally accepted my place in the Vale. I am a 3L on the hunt for a public defender/ legal aid/ non-prof/ PI law job. I spent both summers at PD offices and that is my ultimate goal. I applied to about 15 places through EJW, still waiting to hear. Does anyone know of any other PD/ legal aid places that hire entry level?

What kind of PI work are you interested in?

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:40 pm

I have no idea what the timeline looks like, but Travis County (Austin) Texas is in the process of setting up a defenders office to replace the current system of judicially-assigned defense lawyers from the private sector.

Here's one recent story on the progress: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crim ... riv/ngqQp/

It's somehow a hybrid public defenders' office (called a private defenders' office). I don't really have any experience with these sorts of offices, so I'll just turn the information over to y'all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:12 am

Interview from LAS (Juvenile Rights Practice)!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:14 am

To people interested in PD jobs and with trial exp through an internship or clinic - have you considered becoming a solo atty and accepting new cases through CJA? I received an e-mail the other day in my jurisdiction about how some attys had reached the CJA maximum so far that year and couldn't take any new cases. These people made $137,500 by the end of September on indigent criminal cases alone. Doesn't sound like such a bad life. I am contemplating doing this because PD offices don't want me.

Unrelated, but I am realizing that I might be the world's worst interviewer. For paid jobs like through OCI, govt honors programs, PD offices, and clerkships, I am able to get interviews (so I'm assuming my stats & work experience are okay), but I can't convert the interviews into offers. I've done mock interviews before and was told I come across confident, outgoing, and that I have good answers for questions. I keep having these really amazing clerkship interviews, and at the end, the judge will say something like, "Wow, so glad you came in. This was a really great conversation. I look forward to receiving a copy of your note" or "Please inform me immediately if you receive another interview offer or job offer. I'm very interested." So then I assume the interview went really well only to receive a rejection letter that was postmarked the day of the interview. I don't know if it's my appearance, my interview style, that other candidates are just way better than me, or what. I wish people were more honest in rejection letters about why I didn't get the position.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:53 am

:(
That sucks Jess.

Um, we need PDs in some BFE parts of my state. You want me to PM you links?

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Jessuf wrote:To people interested in PD jobs and with trial exp through an internship or clinic - have you considered becoming a solo atty and accepting new cases through CJA? I received an e-mail the other day in my jurisdiction about how some attys had reached the CJA maximum so far that year and couldn't take any new cases. These people made $137,500 by the end of September on indigent criminal cases alone. Doesn't sound like such a bad life. I am contemplating doing this because PD offices don't want me.

Unrelated, but I am realizing that I might be the world's worst interviewer. For paid jobs like through OCI, govt honors programs, PD offices, and clerkships, I am able to get interviews (so I'm assuming my stats & work experience are okay), but I can't convert the interviews into offers. I've done mock interviews before and was told I come across confident, outgoing, and that I have good answers for questions. I keep having these really amazing clerkship interviews, and at the end, the judge will say something like, "Wow, so glad you came in. This was a really great conversation. I look forward to receiving a copy of your note" or "Please inform me immediately if you receive another interview offer or job offer. I'm very interested." So then I assume the interview went really well only to receive a rejection letter that was postmarked the day of the interview. I don't know if it's my appearance, my interview style, that other candidates are just way better than me, or what. I wish people were more honest in rejection letters about why I didn't get the position.

I've done CJA work. If you can get it, it pays pretty well, but the feds do not pay on a, uh, timely basis, so be aware of that.

And I'm not sure that means you're a bad interview--I got the same reactions. I've since heard through the grapevine why I lost out on a couple of those jobs where I actually did ace the interview, and in several cases there was absolutely nothing I could have changed to get the job. For example, I was the wrong demographic for at least one job, for another they really liked me personally but I didn't have as much experience as the guy they hired, and for another they were afraid I would be "big-timed" by good ol' boy male attorneys (which, lol, that only happens with older female attorneys). It's a terrible, godawful process and I absolutely sympathize with what you're feeling here.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Jessuf wrote:To people interested in PD jobs and with trial exp through an internship or clinic - have you considered becoming a solo atty and accepting new cases through CJA? I received an e-mail the other day in my jurisdiction about how some attys had reached the CJA maximum so far that year and couldn't take any new cases. These people made $137,500 by the end of September on indigent criminal cases alone. Doesn't sound like such a bad life. I am contemplating doing this because PD offices don't want me.

I've done CJA work. If you can get it, it pays pretty well, but the feds do not pay on a, uh, timely basis, so be aware of that.

And I'm not sure that means you're a bad interview--I got the same reactions. I've since heard through the grapevine why I lost out on a couple of those jobs where I actually did ace the interview, and in several cases there was absolutely nothing I could have changed to get the job. For example, I was the wrong demographic for at least one job, for another they really liked me personally but I didn't have as much experience as the guy they hired, and for another they were afraid I would be "big-timed" by good ol' boy male attorneys (which, lol, that only happens with older female attorneys). It's a terrible, godawful process and I absolutely sympathize with what you're feeling here.

Sorry to hear that Jess, but I agree with Pretzel. It is probably not your interview style as much as you think considering your positive reviews. A lot of it is totally random and unexplainable. Keep going and you will land something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Checking in. This sucks.

thewaterlanding

Postby thewaterlanding » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. This sucks.

Right there with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:10 am

It works both ways. I have had interviews where I'm way more qualified than the other candidates but because they interviewed better (not that I was horrible) they got the job.

Chuck59

Postby Chuck59 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:31 pm

I think this has been discussed before, but does anyone have insights on how a 3L callback at NALP firms might differ from the 2L experience? Any insights on questions/general tone/CB->Offer ratio/timelines/etc.?

Return to “Legal Employment”