The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of the veil, bros.

Two offers in one day. One big firm, one small firm that pays market. Not sure where I'm headed, other than to the bar.

Congrats! How did these come about? Symplicity, mass mailing, networking, combination?

Symplicity on both counts. I'm pretty convinced that mass mailing and networking are for shit, though I tried both extensively.

I'm inclined to agree -- it's easier when you know the firm/company is actually looking.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Networking was good to me, but mass mailing was complete shit.

But my network back home is really good, definitely not something I could have come close to equaling just by having some lunches and coffees.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the veil, bros.

Two offers in one day. One big firm, one small firm that pays market. Not sure where I'm headed, other than to the bar.

Awesome- congrats!

beneduce

Postby beneduce » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats!

Would you mind giving some tips for applying to postings on USAJobs? Not only do I feel like a lot of them are flames (although apparently not all of them are), but I also notice that most of them require at least 2 years of post-JD experience.

Sure!

So the first thing is to set up an alert for anything with the word attorney or law clerk, because it's impossible to just wade through all the postings every day. This way, you'll get a weekly email summarizing all new postings. Right now, CBP just put up a bunch, but they may be expired/expiring soon so look into that.

Second, look really closely at the listing. Many say in the qualifications that you have to pass the bar, but then later say that if you meet one of a bunch of requirements (top 3rd, top school, 3.0, etc) you can be hired provisionally before you pass the bar. I would have been willing (though not thrilled) to take a policy type position, so I also applied to those, looking through the "recent graduates" section.

Lastly, don't just upload your resume. Actually create a resume using their system. It requires more information, and can also be like 5 pages long. Look at a job posting for something you'd want and change the way you describe some of your experience to match the way that the job postings describe experience. It'll make it easier to make it to the 'referred to selecting official' stage.

Hi would you mind sharing how long it took from the "referred to selecting official" stage to the interview? I've been in that stage for over a week now and I'm wondering if that's normal. Congrats on the job! :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

beneduce wrote:Hi would you mind sharing how long it took from the "referred to selecting official" stage to the interview? I've been in that stage for over a week now and I'm wondering if that's normal. Congrats on the job! :D

I'm not the same anon, but government hiring processes can move REALLY slowly. Over a week is nothing. Do not worry yet.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beneduce wrote:Hi would you mind sharing how long it took from the "referred to selecting official" stage to the interview? I've been in that stage for over a week now and I'm wondering if that's normal. Congrats on the job! :D

I'm not the same anon, but government hiring processes can move REALLY slowly. Over a week is nothing. Do not worry yet.

One thing that amuses me about some gubmint jerb apps is the HR skills webpage. The same skills page for bus driver as attorney? Gotta be a sign that I am doomed. :(

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

One thing that amuses me about some gubmint jerb apps is the HR skills webpage. The same skills page for bus driver as attorney? Gotta be a sign that I am doomed. :(

Not if you want to drive a bus

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not if you want to drive a bus

DAT PSLF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 pm

MoloLamken looking for 2010, 2011, 2012 grads.

HYS simplicity.

Clerkship preferred.

Seems like a really sweet gig. New firm, small firm, pays very well.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MoloLamken looking for 2010, 2011, 2012 grads.

HYS simplicity.

Clerkship preferred.

Seems like a really sweet gig. New firm, small firm, pays very well.

That does look sick.

Clerkship preferred doe

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 pm

a minimum of several weeks each time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Two positions from HYS simplicity:

The Law Offices of David J. Berney, P.C. is a private public interest-oriented law firm that concentrates its practice in civil rights and more specifically in special education and employment discrimination law. We are interested in hiring an attorney for either a full time or part time associate position. There is a possibility that the part time position will materialize into a full time job. The position is designed for an attorney who is dedicated to a career in public interest oriented legal work and litigation, including, administrative, state, and federal trial work. If you would like to know more about the firm's practice, please feel free to visit the firm's website at http://www.berneylaw.com.

Seeking distinguished candidate with 0-3 years experience to join elite litigation boutique.

The only firm named to the National Law Journal's Litigation Boutiques Hot List in both 2012 and 2013, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP practices a wide range of complex commercial litigation, including pharmaceutical and patent/intellectual property litigation. Eschewing the billable hour, we use fixed monthly fees and other alternative billing arrangements to align client and counsel interests in the efficient conduct and resolution of litigation. Working with, and supported by, large national law firms, Goldman Ismail focuses on overall litigation strategy, trials, experts and science of the case, and key discovery. To learn more about Goldman Ismail, please visit http://www.goldmanismail.com.

We are seeking a junior litigation associate to join our Chicago office. Candidates must have 0-3 years experience with demonstrated academic excellence. We do not offer summer associate positions. To apply, email cover letter, resume, and law school transcript(s) to Melissa Widen at mwiden@goldmanismail.com.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Let's hope for more of these. Two months to graduation.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm

If I were a T14 2L, I'd take a screen caps of the list of OCI employers, then post them to the Rich Kids of Instagram tumblr.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Well bros, I'm out of the Vale. I waited more than 6 months from the initial interview, but that offer finally came. My advice to you all is to continue following up until they give you a decision. Hopefully that decision will be an offer. Good luck!

Void

Postby Void » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well bros, I'm out of the Vale. I waited more than 6 months from the initial interview, but that offer finally came. My advice to you all is to continue following up until they give you a decision. Hopefully that decision will be an offer. Good luck!

Congratulations, anonymous web presence.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well bros, I'm out of the Vale. I waited more than 6 months from the initial interview, but that offer finally came. My advice to you all is to continue following up until they give you a decision. Hopefully that decision will be an offer. Good luck!

Grats anonbro. Always good to hear good news. Mind sharing any details about the job and how you got it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:42 am

rad lulz wrote:

Grats anonbro. Always good to hear good news. Mind sharing any details about the job and how you got it?

Sure. I started the search last summer. I saw a posting for this job on Indeed, so I sent in my resume and cover letter. A couple weeks later, I got the call for an interview. It was an unusually long screener (about an hour or so) with one of the partners. After the interview, the partner told me that she'd call me if they were interested. For 5 months, I heard absolutely nothing. Still, I made sure to email them every 5 weeks or so. Late last month, she called me and asked me to come back for another interview. Oddly, the second interview was much shorter than the first. Two weeks later, I got the call with the offer.

The gig is with a midsized local firm working in their general litigation practice. Good bennies and solid reputation in the area. Frankly, I'm just stoked to have landed anything. Good luck bros!

My advice:

1. Follow up until you get a decision. Some firms take a long time making decisions.
2. Send thank you emails tailored to the specific person that interviewed you. Always include a small detail about the interviewer that lets them know you were paying attention.
3. Related to that last note: ask questions during the interview that are specific to that person's practice so that you get some info for your follow up emails.
4. Don't be afraid to reach out to alums working at the firm. If you play your cards right, they can give you insider info on the firm that you can later use to give solid, why-this-firm answers.

About the anon: I'd out myself if I used my actual username, and people in my school (like everywhere else outside HYS) are struggling, so I'd rather not.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Sure. I started the search last summer. I saw a posting for this job on Indeed, so I sent in my resume and cover letter. A couple weeks later, I got the call for an interview. It was an unusually long screener (about an hour or so) with one of the partners. After the interview, the partner told me that she'd call me if they were interested. For 5 months, I heard absolutely nothing. Still, I made sure to email them every 5 weeks or so. Late last month, she called me and asked me to come back for another interview. Oddly, the second interview was much shorter than the first. Two weeks later, I got the call with the offer.

The gig is with a midsized local firm working in their general litigation practice. Good bennies and solid reputation in the area. Frankly, I'm just stoked to have landed anything. Good luck bros!

My advice:

1. Follow up until you get a decision. Some firms take a long time making decisions.
2. Send thank you emails tailored to the specific person that interviewed you. Always include a small detail about the interviewer that lets them know you were paying attention.
3. Related to that last note: ask questions during the interview that are specific to that person's practice so that you get some info for your follow up emails.
4. Don't be afraid to reach out to alums working at the firm. If you play your cards right, they can give you insider info on the firm that you can later use to give solid, why-this-firm answers.

About the anon: I'd out myself if I used my actual username, and people in my school (like everywhere else outside HYS) are struggling, so I'd rather not.

Prediction: Indeed is about to see a significant uptick in web traffic.

Vincenzo

Postby Vincenzo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am

beneduce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would you mind giving some tips for applying to postings on USAJobs? Not only do I feel like a lot of them are flames (although apparently not all of them are), but I also notice that most of them require at least 2 years of post-JD experience.

Sure!

So the first thing is to set up an alert for anything with the word attorney or law clerk, because it's impossible to just wade through all the postings every day. This way, you'll get a weekly email summarizing all new postings. Right now, CBP just put up a bunch, but they may be expired/expiring soon so look into that.

Second, look really closely at the listing. Many say in the qualifications that you have to pass the bar, but then later say that if you meet one of a bunch of requirements (top 3rd, top school, 3.0, etc) you can be hired provisionally before you pass the bar. I would have been willing (though not thrilled) to take a policy type position, so I also applied to those, looking through the "recent graduates" section.

Lastly, don't just upload your resume. Actually create a resume using their system. It requires more information, and can also be like 5 pages long. Look at a job posting for something you'd want and change the way you describe some of your experience to match the way that the job postings describe experience. It'll make it easier to make it to the 'referred to selecting official' stage.

Hi would you mind sharing how long it took from the "referred to selecting official" stage to the interview? I've been in that stage for over a week now and I'm wondering if that's normal. Congrats on the job! :D

Are you per chance waiting for the interview for the USCIS attorney position? If so, both my roommate and I are in the same boat as you, and we can stay in touch.

underwhere759

Postby underwhere759 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 am

Vincenzo wrote:
beneduce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sure!

Are you per chance waiting for the interview for the USCIS attorney position? If so, both my roommate and I are in the same boat as you, and we can stay in touch.

I am in the same boat as well, though apparently some of my LOR's didnt make it in. So I don't have much hope for coming off the list. There must be a lot of people on the referred list. I should note that I am a clerk not a 3L. But I have been closely following this thread because all the people I work with here at the courthouse (myself included) are going through a very similar process of applying and hoping as our clerkships will end this summer. So far, not a whole lot of luck but keep up the hard work. If you keep fighting for a job aand don't give up eventually things will work out. Or at least, that is what I keep telling myself to keep sane.

bgg2011

Postby bgg2011 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 pm

I too applied and got referred for the USCIS position. However, I've been referred a number of times with nothing else happening beyond that.

I'm a second-year law clerk shopping around for positions with firms etc. I'll be following along to see if anyone hears anything on the USCIS front.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm

bgg2011 wrote:I too applied and got referred for the USCIS position. However, I've been referred a number of times with nothing else happening beyond that.

I'm a second-year law clerk shopping around for positions with firms etc. I'll be following along to see if anyone hears anything on the USCIS front.

Yeah, unfortunately, getting referred just seems to mean you meet the minimal requirements - you have a J.D. and the number of years of experience required. It's not really any comment on the merits of your app. But good luck all!

Vincenzo

Postby Vincenzo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bgg2011 wrote:I too applied and got referred for the USCIS position. However, I've been referred a number of times with nothing else happening beyond that.

Yeah, unfortunately, getting referred just seems to mean you meet the minimal requirements - you have a J.D. and the number of years of experience required. It's not really any comment on the merits of your app. But good luck all!

I'm not sure that is exactly the case because the initial threshold to pass is eligibility, which seemingly encompasses those factors you just listed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Vincenzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure that is exactly the case because the initial threshold to pass is eligibility, which seemingly encompasses those factors you just listed.

Yes, being referred to the selecting official means you were in the top # of applications that the office decided to review, not that you met minimum requirements. The problem is, each official takes a different # of applications per job spot... so it might mean you were in their top 10, or it might mean you were in their top 100.

Return to “Legal Employment”