The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am

Thank God for having lawyers in my family. People have been willing to help me based on family they know and respect. I don't know what I'd do otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Goal: wall paper entire apartment with rejection letters. I was saying this as a joke over the summer...but I might actually be able to wallpaper soon...

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Goal: wall paper entire apartment with rejection letters. I was saying this as a joke over the summer...but I might actually be able to wallpaper soon...
then make one of these:
--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Having struck out in 2L OCI, what are the best options from here? I actually worked at a biglaw firm after my 1L summer but was no offered due to pretty bad drop in my 1L grades from first to second semester. The firm said they would like me to reconnect with them next year if my grades are up but who knows how serious that is.

So, how likely is it to land a biglaw job 3L without having been an SA?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having struck out in 2L OCI, what are the best options from here? I actually worked at a biglaw firm after my 1L summer but was no offered due to pretty bad drop in my 1L grades from first to second semester. The firm said they would like me to reconnect with them next year if my grades are up but who knows how serious that is.

Did you miss the part where we're not taking questions from 2Ls? Also, if we has biglaw gigs, you think we'd be poasting ITT? Dayum bro, common sense. This isn't "Unemployed, taking Qs."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having struck out in 2L OCI, what are the best options from here? I actually worked at a biglaw firm after my 1L summer but was no offered due to pretty bad drop in my 1L grades from first to second semester. The firm said they would like me to reconnect with them next year if my grades are up but who knows how serious that is.

I answered this question and a few others in this thread. HTH

URL DELETED, USER BANNED BY MODS FOR HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE LINK

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:39 pm

I should probably change my name to 3Ls a plenty to be more current since I originally registered.

I was thinking of applying to small firms in smaller midwestern cities. Any insights here or advice/warnings that maybe those types of firms are not good prospects. I have some friends who did some summers with firms like this but it sounded more like they were simple research jockeys with no prospects of permanent employment. I don't know if they just took those jobs for lack of options or not. One concern is that will any one teach you anything. Thoughts?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 pm

for 3L's still looking, stroock LA is looking for a 3L to be a first year associate in their class action/financial services litigation and commercial business litigation groups.

Anonymous User

Re: Mourning and Weeping in the Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:28 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone else just want to not practice law? i hate the practice and the people...so i'm also in tears over the fact that not only do I not have a job, I am stuck in a field I hate ...without a job. what a mess
Got any tips on how to figure this out BEFORE attending Law School? I'd really appreciate it.
Attend a T14 school?....hopefully??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
bronson wrote:I've kept up with TLS for the past three years - both as a source of legit info and for the lulz - but this thread made me want to step into the ring.

Planning on bombarding both my home market and ls market with resumes over the holidays. Worried that no one will take a serious look until/unless the bar is taken and passed.

Convince me that a non-NYU/Gtown/UF tax llm is not going to solve my problems so that I can get the thought of applying out of my head.
this is hilarious

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:57 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:I should probably change my name to 3Ls a plenty to be more current since I originally registered.

I was thinking of applying to small firms in smaller midwestern cities. Any insights here or advice/warnings that maybe those types of firms are not good prospects. I have some friends who did some summers with firms like this but it sounded more like they were simple research jockeys with no prospects of permanent employment. I don't know if they just took those jobs for lack of options or not. One concern is that will any one teach you anything. Thoughts?
Why not? Right now for me, it's a not question a question of which legal job, it's a question of a legal job as opposed to unemployment.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:25 am

Good point. Not sure how many 3Ls are out there looking but it seems like an awful lot. I heard about some winter break contract opportunities I might look into as well to see if it might lead to something else if I do well or at least some attorney contacts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 am

actually got an initial screening interview from my dream job, but I'm so dejected from the job search so far that I'm afraid the exhaustion and depression will shine through. Plus, you know, the added pressure of not fucking it up, and the fact that it's only a screening interview, and over the phone which is terrible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 am

Drink a beer before/during the phone interview. Have your questions laid out in front of you, as well as points you want to cover. I stand up and walk around, rather than sitting, takes out nerves and projects voice better. I actually think phone interviews are very easy. Congrats and good luck!

Also, I might as well check into the thread. I had an interview with an accounting firm, but I'm keeping my consistent 0 for X streak up with law firms. Wustl, top 1/3, law review, no SA if anyone cares about stats.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:28 am

deebs wrote:Drink a beer before/during the phone interview. Have your questions laid out in front of you, as well as points you want to cover. I stand up and walk around, rather than sitting, takes out nerves and projects voice better. I actually think phone interviews are very easy. Congrats and good luck!

Also, I might as well check into the thread. I had an interview with an accounting firm, but I'm keeping my consistent 0 for X streak up with law firms. Wustl, top 1/3, law review, no SA if anyone cares about stats.
How'd you swing an accounting firm interview? I have some tax experience and I'd like to pursue it if I can.

I walk around during phone interviews as well. For me the trickiest part is not being able to see the reactions on people's faces.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:54 am

rad lulz wrote:How'd you swing an accounting firm interview? I have some tax experience and I'd like to pursue it if I can.
Lucked out, they came to campus. I've tried to network, call recruiters, go to b school career services, etc. for other accounting firms as well as consulting firms, but I have not been able to get any more. If you have any personal connections at any of the Big 4, I'd give them a call. I do not, and as such, it has been really difficult/impossible to get any interviews on my own. I think going to a recruiting event held at the b-school would be a good idea, but I'm doing a semester in another city right now and don't have that option. I wish I could offer better advice. I tried to go through my law school's CSO, and that was only good for lulz on how clueless they were about it.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:I should probably change my name to 3Ls a plenty to be more current since I originally registered.

Why not? Right now for me, it's a not question a question of which legal job, it's a question of a legal job as opposed to unemployment.
This is true, but one thing I would say is that a lot of these firms are getting inundated with resumes from their hometown law schools. Thus far, the only times I've gotten traction with 3L mailing and what not has been with places in tertiary markets (think Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc.) where the hometown/flagship state U law school is a TTT/TTTT.

At this point, I'm really hoping that some stuff changes at the firm I summered/am still clerking and business picks up such they can bring me on. Don't think it's happening, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

This is true, but one thing I would say is that a lot of these firms are getting inundated with resumes from their hometown law schools. Thus far, the only times I've gotten traction with 3L mailing and what not has been with places in tertiary markets (think Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc.) where the hometown/flagship state U law school is a TTT/TTTT.

At this point, I'm really hoping that some stuff changes at the firm I summered/am still clerking and business picks up such they can bring me on. Don't think it's happening, though.
You just mass mail these places? Mississippi? No ties? I'd live there. Maybe it's about time to get a mass mail campaign underway there.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:

You just mass mail these places? Mississippi? No ties? I'd live there. Maybe it's about time to get a mass mail campaign underway there.
Nah. Mainly working contacts in two places like that but was trying to be sufficiently vague. I think an attenuated ties pitch could possibly work in a market where they don't get a ton of folks from top-shelf LOL schools maybe.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 pm

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:

Nah. Mainly working contacts in two places like that but was trying to be sufficiently vague. I think an attenuated ties pitch could possibly work in a market where they don't get a ton of folks from top-shelf LOL schools maybe.
I'm not sure raging in the Grove in Oxford one time really constitutes ties I can work or be part of a sales pitch.

Lyonsoccer87

Bronze

Post by Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:

I'm not sure raging in the Grove in Oxford one time really constitutes ties I can work or be part of a sales pitch.
I have ties to ark but I think ppl miss out by not mass mailing to the state if you're willing to work there. I'm splitting with 2 firms that have decent reputations and are "midlaw" pay 75-80k. The "top" firms at these small states will prolly give you a look if your from a great school. If someone wants to PM me i can tell them the name of a couple of places worth sending a resume to. (I'm a 2L please don't yell at me for posting here)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:55 pm

deebs wrote:Drink a beer before/during the phone interview. Have your questions laid out in front of you, as well as points you want to cover. I stand up and walk around, rather than sitting, takes out nerves and projects voice better. I actually think phone interviews are very easy. Congrats and good luck!
Thanks! I didn't drink a beer but I did walk around a lot, have water on hand because my throat always gets dry when I get nervous, and I think it went pretty well. Now I just have to wait a few weeks to find out whether I move to the next round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks! I didn't drink a beer but I did walk around a lot, have water on hand because my throat always gets dry when I get nervous, and I think it went pretty well. Now I just have to wait a few weeks to find out whether I move to the next round.
Just out of curiousity... what market and what size firm? I am just wondering if is the same firm I recently interviewed with over the phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just out of curiousity... what market and what size firm? I am just wondering if is the same firm I recently interviewed with over the phone.
Definitely not, because I'm doing gov't/PI, not firm stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Definitely not, because I'm doing gov't/PI, not firm stuff.
Oh ok. Well congrats and good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”