The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 am

How is this interests section on my resume?

• Kayaking, hiking, bicycling, birding, art history, animal rescue, salsa dancing, baking, digital photography and Scrabble

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:How is this interests section on my resume?

• Kayaking, hiking, bicycling, birding, art history, animal rescue, salsa dancing, baking, digital photography and Scrabble

I'd maybe cut it down to 3-4 things you'd most want them to actually talk to you about.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:42 am

Yeah, that's too long.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, that's too long.

what three to four are most convincing? i am applying to jerbs in NM, AZ, and ME, so i wanna emphasize outdoorsy activities

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

what three to four are most convincing? i am applying to jerbs in NM, AZ, and ME, so i wanna emphasize outdoorsy activities

Why don't you just pick what you actually like to do, and say something more substantive about it?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:49 am

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why don't you just pick what you actually like to do, and say something more substantive about it?

I agree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am

Hmm...how about:

Hiking in X National Park, kayaking, animal rescue and salsa dancing

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am

Wow. The fact that this thread has reached 300 pages should give the starry-eyed 0Ls a pause.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:How is this interests section on my resume?

• Kayaking, hiking, bicycling [mtn? trail? cross? road? I'd pick one], birding, art history, animal rescue [depending on what type of job you're applying for, you might not want to include -- it screams PI and city/county/state gov to me], salsa dancing, baking, digital [landscape? action? portrait? nature?] photography and Scrabble

That said, I'd suggest only using 4 of those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

I just had a CSO tell me a National Team moot court competition is more important than a job interview.....

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just had a CSO tell me a National Team moot court competition is more important than a job interview.....

I mean, if you're on a team that's depending on you and have an opportunity to reschedule, then you should try to reschedule. Those things take a lot of work for everyone involved. If you can't reschedule around it, though, then you're not a dick for prioritizing your job chances over an extracurricular activity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 am

Edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coocoonuts

Postby coocoonuts » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Got it
Last edited by coocoonuts on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:46 pm

How bad does it look to still be sending writing samples from class instead of from work? I haven't done anything that can be a legit writing sample at work.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Pleasye wrote:How bad does it look to still be sending writing samples from class instead of from work? I haven't done anything that can be a legit writing sample at work.

I sent the same 1L memo for every job I applied to during law school. I can't know for sure, but I don't think it hurt my prospects.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Pleasye wrote:How bad does it look to still be sending writing samples from class instead of from work? I haven't done anything that can be a legit writing sample at work.

I don't think it's bad at all. I don't really have anything I can use from any of my work because of confidentiality issues or I didn't write the whole thing.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:14 pm

minnbills wrote:

I don't think it's bad at all. I don't really have anything I can use from any of my work because of confidentiality issues or I didn't write the whole thing.

Yeah that's basically the deal at my work. For motions and stuff there's too much that isn't solely my work product and all my memos have been emails. I guess I'll continue using my 1L memo...or maybe the MIL I wrote for a 2L class.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Pleasye wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Yeah that's basically the deal at my work. For motions and stuff there's too much that isn't solely my work product and all my memos have been emails. I guess I'll continue using my 1L memo...or maybe the MIL I wrote for a 2L class.

For civil jobs I sent a motion I wrote at work. For criminal jobs I sent a motion I wrote during externship. For clerkships I sent academic papers I'd written in class.

I'm not sure I had any more success than the people sending in stuff from 1L, many of whom got hired with me. So, yeah, as long as it is good, you're fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:45 pm

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question... I had a callback for a position with a biglaw firm about 2 weeks ago in a large market and saw that they were a bit hesitant about my lack of ties. What would be the consequences of me sending an email being like, I just got a job offer (perhaps I could even say that its in my home state) but I would greatly prefer to work for your firm yada yada just to show enthusiasm about moving to that market and maybe have them hurry up in making a decision. I'm afraid I wasn't nearly enthusiastic enough about moving to that market during my interview. Thoughts on potentially doing this?

....do you actually have an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 pm

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question... I had a callback for a position with a biglaw firm about 2 weeks ago in a large market and saw that they were a bit hesitant about my lack of ties. What would be the consequences of me sending an email being like, I just got a job offer (perhaps I could even say that its in my home state) but I would greatly prefer to work for your firm yada yada just to show enthusiasm about moving to that market and maybe have them hurry up in making a decision. I'm afraid I wasn't nearly enthusiastic enough about moving to that market during my interview. Thoughts on potentially doing this?

So lying you mean?

Absolutely horrible idea

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Is anyone applying to public interest jobs - primarily direct services in NY/NYC? I would love if you could recommend additional threads or we could exchange thoughts on the subject.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:45 pm

a.psu wrote:Is anyone applying to public interest jobs - primarily direct services in NY/NYC? I would love if you could recommend additional threads or we could exchange thoughts on the subject.

I think there is already a PI thread.

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:
a.psu wrote:Is anyone applying to public interest jobs - primarily direct services in NY/NYC? I would love if you could recommend additional threads or we could exchange thoughts on the subject.

I think there is already a PI thread.

Do you happen to have the link? I found few PI threads but would love to read more...

Return to “Legal Employment”