The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KibblesnBitts

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

PI-oriented here, I've been on 6 interviews in the last 2 weeks and have 3 more to look forward to over the next 2 weeks. I'm gassed out, and only one of the interviews coming up is a callback.

This isn't easy.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:44 am

KibblesnBitts wrote:PI-oriented here, I've been on 6 interviews in the last 2 weeks and have 3 more to look forward to over the next 2 weeks. I'm gassed out, and only one of the interviews coming up is a callback.

This isn't easy.

you doin EJW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 am

KibblesnBitts wrote:PI-oriented here, I've been on 6 interviews in the last 2 weeks and have 3 more to look forward to over the next 2 weeks. I'm gassed out, and only one of the interviews coming up is a callback.

This isn't easy.

At least you have interviews :/

But seriously, pep up! All it takes is one! Be strong, interview well and get this done!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 am

is it tough, if not impossible to get an impact-lit jerb right out of law school? (i.e. Juvenile Law Center)

Assumpsit

Postby Assumpsit » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Had an interview for a LSAT tutor thing - I gave up on the logic games q and only realized how simple the question was after the interview was over. Awesome.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 am

What are good sources of PI jerbs other than PSJD, Idealist, Symplicity, and BYU Job Bank? I heard Craigslist can get a little sketch, lol.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:09 am

If you're looking to stay in your school's market, the clinical professors/advisors will be tied into the local PI scene far better than anyone else around the school.

For massmailing PI, the CSO may have a list at the ready, but I find CSO lists to be severely deficient. You can either add to it or just start from scratch by going to your state IOLTA resource and getting a list of what organizations are getting IOLTA grants. For example http://www.maiolta.org/making/grants.html

ETA: Before you create your own list from scratch, you might also want to contact the state IOLTA group and ask if they have a spreadsheet of recent recipient agencies.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:58 am

Anyone in PD/Legal Aid interviews get asked why they didn't do journal/Moot Ct? My explanation was that I wanted to spend all my available free time volunteering at PD/Legal Aid to get as much client contact as possible (work 20+ hours/week)

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Anyone in PD/Legal Aid interviews get asked why they didn't do journal/Moot Ct? My explanation was that I wanted to spend all my available free time volunteering at PD/Legal Aid to get as much client contact as possible (work 20+ hours/week)

That's fine. And to answer your above question you can look up organizations websites and contact them directly.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:03 pm

BVest wrote:If you're looking to stay in your school's market, the clinical professors/advisors will be tied into the local PI scene far better than anyone else around the school.

This is very credited. My clinic professor told me about the opening that led to my fellowship and now - permanent job. A number of my classmates also got PI jobs this way. Having a practicing attorney who knows you and will go to bat for you makes a huge difference for PI hiring.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Anyone know about hiring practices for clerkships for Probate and Family Court in MA?

Applications were due ... back in May (or maybe late April?).

From what I know, the positions have been filled for this year (2014 - 2015)

I applied, my resume is strictly family law, wrote what I thought was an amazing writing sample per their fact pattern, and no response.

Needless to say, I was pissed.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:45 pm

numbertwo88 wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Anyone know about hiring practices for clerkships for Probate and Family Court in MA?

Applications were due ... back in May (or maybe late April?).

From what I know, the positions have been filled for this year (2014 - 2015)

I applied, my resume is strictly family law, wrote what I thought was an amazing writing sample per their fact pattern, and no response.

Needless to say, I was pissed.

Sorry to hear. :( What kinds of grades are they looking for? Is journal a must? My resume screams family law, and I did well in family law related courses.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:41 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Sorry to hear. :( What kinds of grades are they looking for? Is journal a must? My resume screams family law, and I did well in family law related courses.

Their job listing mentioned leaning towards persons with related experience/prior clerk work while in law school or post-law school related work. Also mentioned, I believe, a preference for strong academics but it made no reference to journal work but I'd assume it wouldn't hurt at all.

Once I found out I didn't get it I took it as a sign that a family law firm is the way to go - hopefully that pans out better!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 am

swimmer11 wrote:
Chuck59 wrote:It seems like different markets are on different timelines for 3L Hiring (Big NYC is yesterday, Mid regional is Winter, small is Spring, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a general principle.

However, I want to mass mail as soon and as efficiently as I can. I have focused on Big NYC lately, but my question is: What other markets might be looking at 3Ls right now? I heard the Palo Alto/San Fran area might be a good bet. Thoughts?

I have noticed quite a few BIGLAW firms from Chicago and LA making symplicity postings with deadlines for mid-november.

Take that as you will.

...which ones?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:20 am

At what point do they just assume a no-offer?

I have two initial interviews this week and a call-back already scheduled for Oct. 2nd. They have to know I am not going back to my summer firm at this point. Are they still going to ask me to explain why?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:56 am

Dinged from Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights practice.

skrubba5025

Postby skrubba5025 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:34 pm

I am interviewing with a state AGO at the end of this week and am seeking advice on what to expect. I already had my 1st round with them which went pretty well.

The interview is with two members of their "core" hiring team and should take ~40 minutes. Has anyone gone through a similar process before?
I am wondering what type of questions I should be expecting since the last round covered a lot of the "public service interest" stuff.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 pm

To the 1Ls talking about jobs: You have no grades and no biglaw jobs. Additionally, based on what you've said, you have no kids yet, no insight into the school districts you're trying to discuss anyway, and seemingly no real knowledge about Texas cities or the legal markets therein at all. Please stop talking.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

BVest wrote:To the 1Ls talking about jobs: You have no grades and no biglaw jobs. Additionally, based on what you've said, you have no kids yet, no insight into the school districts you're trying to discuss anyway, and seemingly no real knowledge about Texas cities or the legal markets therein at all. Please stop talking.

... What?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 pm

My career services is holding an event just for Valers. Yipee!

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Tanicius wrote:
BVest wrote:To the 1Ls talking about jobs: You have no grades and no biglaw jobs. Additionally, based on what you've said, you have no kids yet, no insight into the school districts you're trying to discuss anyway, and seemingly no real knowledge about Texas cities or the legal markets therein at all. Please stop talking.

... What?

Sorry... Lacked context. This conversation was going on (for about 45 minutes) beside me at lunch today.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:02 pm

BVest wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

... What?

Sorry... Lacked context. This conversation was going on (for about 45 minutes) beside me at lunch today.

Still confused as to why you posted it here.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Pleasye wrote:
BVest wrote:Sorry... Lacked context. This conversation was going on (for about 45 minutes) beside me at lunch today.

Still confused as to why you posted it here.

I don't know. I was reading the Vale at the time and it seemed somehow relevant in a way that I cannot conceive of now. Probably because I had too little sleep last night. Apologies.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:
Chuck59 wrote:It seems like different markets are on different timelines for 3L Hiring (Big NYC is yesterday, Mid regional is Winter, small is Spring, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a general principle.

However, I want to mass mail as soon and as efficiently as I can. I have focused on Big NYC lately, but my question is: What other markets might be looking at 3Ls right now? I heard the Palo Alto/San Fran area might be a good bet. Thoughts?

I have noticed quite a few BIGLAW firms from Chicago and LA making symplicity postings with deadlines for mid-november.

Take that as you will.

...which ones?

https://recruit.kirkland.com/viRecruitS ... efault.asp

If you have any Tax or Transactional experience I would go with employee benefits. Or talk about your knowledge of 409A and ISOs/NQSOs in the cover letter. It's not going to be as competitive because it's not a super desirable practice area.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:55 pm

anyone here applying for presidential management fellowship?

Return to “Legal Employment”