The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Anyone apply for US Air Force JAG or US Coast Guard? They are recruiting at my school's Gov/PI fair.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:22 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Anyone apply for US Air Force JAG or US Coast Guard? They are recruiting at my school's Gov/PI fair.

AF JAG (applied last school year)

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Anyone apply for US Air Force JAG or US Coast Guard? They are recruiting at my school's Gov/PI fair.

What stats are the looking for in terms of grades, rank, internships, etc.?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:47 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

It's a black box. There are people from Harvard, and people from TTTT's. Grades are important, but they are more interested in a demonstrated commitment to service. For internships, the best would be if you did a JAG internship, but if not, public service. Check out the Military Law thread if you are interested. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

It's a black box. There are people from Harvard, and people from TTTT's. Grades are important, but they are more interested in a demonstrated commitment to service. For internships, the best would be if you did a JAG internship, but if not, public service. Check out the Military Law thread if you are interested. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543

My internships are all public interest but my grades are meh. :|

Is it true that for JAG you cannot be on an antidepressant/have mental health issues in general in order to be considered?

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17 pm

So, does anyone think it is worth it to pay someone to look over your resume and cover letter? Well, actually, I think my resume is fine, but for some reason I think my cover letter is for shit. I don't know if it is worth the money to pay someone, but then again, I don't really know if it is a solid cover letter.

Does anyone know of any good examples online?

Also, what is the word on an interview coach? Are they worth the money?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:19 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: There are a lot of terrible immigration practitioners out there. If you get an offer, make sure to talk to some of the associates working at the firm before you commit to the position.

Agreed. This is the scary part of looking for immigration jobs :( Is your position at the same firm where you volunteered?

terrible in terms of what? hours and work-life balance?

Pretty sure they just mean bad at their job. My experience has also been that there are a lot of bad immigration lawyers out there.

Also, I mean this in the nicest way, but do you really have any interest in joining the military? It just seems sort of inconsistent with what you've been doing up till now.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: There are a lot of terrible immigration practitioners out there. If you get an offer, make sure to talk to some of the associates working at the firm before you commit to the position.

Agreed. This is the scary part of looking for immigration jobs :( Is your position at the same firm where you volunteered?

terrible in terms of what? hours and work-life balance?

Pretty sure they just mean bad at their job. My experience has also been that there are a lot of bad immigration lawyers out there.

Also, I mean this in the nicest way, but do you really have any interest in joining the military? It just seems sort of inconsistent with what you've been doing up till now.

I'm applying to anything and everything at this point. Can't be choosy ITE.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:22 pm

swimmer11 wrote:So, does anyone think it is worth it to pay someone to look over your resume and cover letter? Well, actually, I think my resume is fine, but for some reason I think my cover letter is for shit. I don't know if it is worth the money to pay someone, but then again, I don't really know if it is a solid cover letter.

There are links to good examples on PSJD.

i.e. http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... tters.html

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 pm

BlueLotus wrote:My internships are all public interest but my grades are meh. :|

Is it true that for JAG you cannot be on an antidepressant/have mental health issues in general in order to be considered?

All of this stuff is covered in the military/JAG threads. Read through those.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 pm

swimmer11 wrote:So, does anyone think it is worth it to pay someone to look over your resume and cover letter? Well, actually, I think my resume is fine, but for some reason I think my cover letter is for shit. I don't know if it is worth the money to pay someone, but then again, I don't really know if it is a solid cover letter.

Do you just have a terrible CSO? Of course don't pay for an interview coach or for resume/cover letter editing. Plus, plenty of folks on here are more than willing to proofread your materials if you just ask in the nicest possible way and give them enough time (including myself!)

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:30 pm

If u email me I will look at your res

edit: for no $

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:40 pm

baal hadad wrote:

If u email me I will look at your res

edit: for no $

Ditto. Rez/cover/interview prep whatever... Happy to help. pm'd

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:39 am

BlueLotus wrote:I'm applying to anything and everything at this point. Can't be choosy ITE.

I don't know if this is the best plan. I mean, apply widely of course but PI applications take some effort and you're way better off spending a couple hours polishing a writing sample for one of those then just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:28 am

worldtraveler wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:I'm applying to anything and everything at this point. Can't be choosy ITE.

I don't know if this is the best plan. I mean, apply widely of course but PI applications take some effort and you're way better off spending a couple hours polishing a writing sample for one of those then just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

I'm following TLS CW. :)

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:58 am

BlueLotus wrote:My internships are all public interest but my grades are meh. :|

Definitely no current mental health issues/antidepressants. If it's in the past, it depends on the diagnosis, length of time you required treatment, length of time it has been since the issue, etc. PM me if you have a specific question.

sgoodman

Postby sgoodman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:44 am

Last edited by sgoodman on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:58 am

Puttanesca wrote:

Definitely no current mental health issues/antidepressants. If it's in the past, it depends on the diagnosis, length of time you required treatment, length of time it has been since the issue, etc. PM me if you have a specific question.

Well, damn. :|

There is a jerb fair at my campus in early October. Several of the employers at said fair will also be at EJW. If I get dinged by them in the on-campus fair, should I still approach them at EJW table talks and try to make my pitch again, or will that be seen as irritating?

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for the PMs everyone, I responded to those who sent me one.

:)

Feels good to have some support. In response to the above question regarding my CSO, he/she is shit.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:43 pm

The judicial district where I work has had 4 jobs go unfilled for several months. Why? They have literally no resumes come in. One got filled last week with someone who didn't have a great application, in my opinion, but was seriously the only person to apply. Send a cover letter and resume to Janetta Hicks, 400 N. Virginia Suite G-2 Roswell, NM 88201, and say you want either the Hobbs NM or Carlsbad NM jobs.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't live in Hobbs or Carlsbad if I had options, which I'm sure is why they don't get many applicants. But there are jobs there and in other gross parts of states.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:13 pm

andythefir wrote:The judicial district where I work has had 4 jobs go unfilled for several months. Why? They have literally no resumes come in. One got filled last week with someone who didn't have a great application, in my opinion, but was seriously the only person to apply. Send a cover letter and resume to Janetta Hicks, 400 N. Virginia Suite G-2 Roswell, NM 88201, and say you want either the Hobbs NM or Carlsbad NM jobs.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't live in Hobbs or Carlsbad if I had options, which I'm sure is why they don't get many applicants. But there are jobs there and in other gross parts of states.

What is the Court/Entity name and what are the positions? (For purposes of cover letters).

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm applying to anything and everything at this point. Can't be choosy ITE.[/quote]

You do know that you get deployed in JAG? Like, Iraq?

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:59 pm

BVest wrote:
andythefir wrote:The judicial district where I work has had 4 jobs go unfilled for several months. Why? They have literally no resumes come in. One got filled last week with someone who didn't have a great application, in my opinion, but was seriously the only person to apply. Send a cover letter and resume to Janetta Hicks, 400 N. Virginia Suite G-2 Roswell, NM 88201, and say you want either the Hobbs NM or Carlsbad NM jobs.

What is the Court/Entity name and what are the positions? (For purposes of cover letters).

5th judicial district, assistant trial attorney.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:26 pm

sparty99 wrote:

In my interview I told them (truthfully) that I was psyched to get deployed. Still a little sad that didn't work out.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

In my interview I told them (truthfully) that I was psyched to get deployed. Still a little sad that didn't work out.

I'd rather not have my head severed off....

Return to “Legal Employment”