The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I'm with HGL here, so it must be the NU grade inflation talking. I had no idea that a 3.5 was top 10% at some schools, holy shit. It's like, below median after 2L year @ NU I think.
lol, definitely grade inflation. My school curved to a 3.0.
Damnnnnnnnnn. That's crazy. NU doesn't rank either, I guess I never realized how beneficial that is.
Yeah, my GPA would look terribad at NU but I finished pretty well and I put my GPA and class rank (by percentile) on my resume. I think the guy at the top of my class graduated around a 3.7 or 3.8.

so basically I think the credited response is put "top third (GPA ____)." Then there's some context for the numbers.

aardvark87

New

Post by aardvark87 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:55 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:So I guess now is the time to introduce myself here, now that I'm slowly decompressing from the bar exam.

I am totally lost on even where to begin looking for a job. All of the leads I had post-grad are gone. I've been responding to things on Symplicity and on other job sites, but obviously this is not enough. I signed up with a temp firm and had my initial interview already, but haven't gotten any work yet.

I'm pretty limited geographically because my husband can't just pick up and leave his job. We only have enough savings to get us through to the end of October. After that, plan B is declaring bankruptcy, which I'm pretty sure will put a damper on my bar admission.

Anyway, sup guys?
In my experience, there was a lull between the bar exam and bar results. Depending on your state, employers might not look at your application until they know you've passed the bar and been sworn in. So unfortunately, you might be in for a lull. I don't think anyone would fault you for taking paid non-legal work in the meantime.

uvauvauva

New

Post by uvauvauva » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:13 pm

anyone know the password to the BYU Job bank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm

aardvark87 wrote:
In my experience, there was a lull between the bar exam and bar results. Depending on your state, employers might not look at your application until they know you've passed the bar and been sworn in. So unfortunately, you might be in for a lull. I don't think anyone would fault you for taking paid non-legal work in the meantime.

How about doing volunteer legal work for small firms as well? Will employers look on that as gumption or is it a bad thing?

sgoodman

New

Post by sgoodman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Last edited by sgoodman on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acronyx

New

Post by acronyx » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
aardvark87 wrote:

How about doing volunteer legal work for small firms as well? Will employers look on that as gumption or is it a bad thing?
I think there are (legal) limitations on what kind of 'volunteering' you can do for for-profit organizations. Thus why internship programs generally require you be enrolled in a degree-seeking program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

acronyx wrote: I think there are (legal) limitations on what kind of 'volunteering' you can do for for-profit organizations. Thus why internship programs generally require you be enrolled in a degree-seeking program.
Well assuming my federal jurisdiction hasn't ruled on compensation for volunteers or interns, would it possibly violate the Rules of Professional Conduct to do things like document review for a small firm? I am more interested on how employers view these kinds of things though.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:07 am

sgoodman wrote:
uvauvauva wrote:anyone know the password to the BYU Job bank?
I think it's still cougarjobs.
Posted this a few pages back;

jobfind
jobscougar

Gonna PM TTH to update OP.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
sgoodman wrote:

jobfind
jobscougar

Updated. Thanks bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 am

TTH wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
sgoodman wrote:

jobfind
jobscougar

Updated. Thanks bro.
Didn't work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

aardvark87

New

Post by aardvark87 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Well assuming my federal jurisdiction hasn't ruled on compensation for volunteers or interns, would it possibly violate the Rules of Professional Conduct to do things like document review for a small firm? I am more interested on how employers view these kinds of things though.
If you can get that, by all means, jump on it. But you likely aren't eligible for a position like that until you're barred.

Employers will see it as a positive, I think. Anything that's legal work is good.

uvauvauva

New

Post by uvauvauva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Stupid question: how do you guys apply to in house counsel jobs?

I have only applied to small firms/and big firms/govt. No idea how to search for smaller firms.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:41 pm

uvauvauva wrote:Stupid question: how do you guys apply to in house counsel jobs?

I have only applied to small firms/and big firms/govt. No idea how to search for smaller firms.
I'm not in the vale (first year) but I have been looking at in-house positions lately. I've applied to some via my local bar association's career page, but the success I've had with setting up interviews with three separate companies have come from personal referrals to the positon--one connection from my kickball team, and the other two from friends in the legal and business communities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Stanford4Me wrote: I'm not in the vale (first year) but I have been looking at in-house positions lately. I've applied to some via my local bar association's career page, but the success I've had with setting up interviews with three separate companies have come from personal referrals to the positon--one connection from my kickball team, and the other two from friends in the legal and business communities.
How do you like your current job, and why would you like to go in-house?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 pm

I like my job right now, but I'm not getting exposure to the work I desire at the rate I was promised. Also, there are lots of small things about working at a firm I know I'll never like (namely, billing time and the quirks that billable time puts on how you approach and complete projects).

Each of the positions I'm interviewing for now are a little unique in that none of them is your typical "in house" position. That is, while I'll still be doing some legal work, I'll be involved to a greater degree with managing and planning business operations. That's something I've always known I've wanted to do (leave the firm life and get a position that taps into my business background), I just wasn't sue when it would happened. I don't dislike my current position, I was just fortunate enough to have friends who thought of me when openings with lots of growth potential came along.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Billing time sucks but then I consider what it'd be like it I didn't have this job and I try to be thankful that someone took a chance on me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Does anyone have any info on the Career Associate roles for Ropes & Gray? Applied for one several months ago, got an interview, thought it went well and have not heard anything. I'm chalking it up to a loss at this point. However, the position still appears on the website. Not sure why there does not appear to be much movement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gfunk01

New

Post by gfunk01 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on the Career Associate roles for Ropes & Gray? Applied for one several months ago, got an interview, thought it went well and have not heard anything. I'm chalking it up to a loss at this point. However, the position still appears on the website. Not sure why there does not appear to be much movement.
I also haven't heard anything, even after msg them to say they needed to expedite their decision since I had gotten a job offer. I have a job now, so not an issue for me, but know what it feels like when firms pull this shit.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 am

Hello all, here to join the misery. I'm looking for immigration law work in Virginia (pretty much anywhere) or DC. . . .I'm currently working as a law clerk/paralegal at a firm I've worked for more than two years during law school. . .very worried about not being able to find an attorney position (none at my current firm--small department with well-set group of attorneys). . . .still awaiting bar results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:02 am

To GFunk above, is this not a little out of character for R & G? I spoke with a couple people there who said they don't really understand what is going on. They have not responded to my messages either. I do not yet have a job, but would like to at least like to know whether or not I can rule this one out!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Didn't get the fellowship sponsorship that I thought I was a pretty good fit for. FUCK oh my god, what am I gonna do if I don't get a job??? I might not even be able to apply for a fellowship at all. Shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on the Career Associate roles for Ropes & Gray? Applied for one several months ago, got an interview, thought it went well and have not heard anything. I'm chalking it up to a loss at this point. However, the position still appears on the website. Not sure why there does not appear to be much movement.

You are probably rejected. This is how we are treated by firms.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Didn't get the fellowship sponsorship that I thought I was a pretty good fit for. FUCK oh my god, what am I gonna do if I don't get a job??? I might not even be able to apply for a fellowship at all. Shit.
Breathe. Of all people, I'm probably the last one who would tell you "it's going to be fine." No, it's mortally terrifying. First of all, feel no shame for being afraid. But second, use the fear as fuel to keep hustling. It took an excrutiatingly long time for me to land a job. It's early, but there is no way i could have dreamed a better situation than the one I'm in now. The struggle SUCKS but there's an end. I hustled my ass off for this and finally broke my bad luck streak, and I'm pretty sure if I can, so can you. :)

Feel free to pm or whatever if you need to vent some anxiety. That goes for any Valers.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Didn't get the fellowship sponsorship that I thought I was a pretty good fit for. FUCK oh my god, what am I gonna do if I don't get a job??? I might not even be able to apply for a fellowship at all. Shit.

I know this feeling. Breathe. Go work out or bake or chill with friends. I won't say it's gonna be ok, but try to remember you still have time to finds a job. Should I post you a lolcat for old time's sake?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Is anyone else having a hard time picturing their future? I'm 29, and I just graduated w/ 200K in debt from a T2. I'm looking for jobs in an insular market and have had very few leads even though I'm looking all the time and applying to whatever few listings I can find (0-3 years experience, etc.). After I get my bar exam results back, and assuming I pass, I'm going to start mass mailing small and medium sized firms here. (My grades aren't good enough for big firms or clerkships, but I always did well in legal writing courses, and I went to a respectable undergrad.) I have done some networking after the bar exam and in the past when I've been in the area, but none of that has really resulted in anything more than just comments like "yeah, jobs are hard to find here."

Other than that, it's really just radio silence. I'm having a really hard time picturing what my future looks like right now. Until and unless I find a job that pays decently, I really can't do much. I don't know how I'm ever going to pay off my debt, or at least start chipping away at it. I can barely afford a car right now. Just looks miserable with no end in sight. Anyway, just needed to let some steam out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”