The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do people in here know about insurance defense work in terms of long term options? What can you do with the experience? I'm not talking lateral to biglaw--not crazy. But just a good overview of realistic decent jobs that it prepares you for.

Continuing to do that. Going in house at an insurance company, especially with subrogation jobs. In-house counsel some places. Compliance.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 am

Figure it's about time for me to post in here. I'm feeling totally crushed by the amount of work I need to do this summer applying to PI fellowship sponsors/fellowships, clerkships, gov honors programs, and firms and totally freaked out by the prospect of not having ANYTHING. So, uh, yeah, sup guys.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:30 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Figure it's about time for me to post in here. I'm feeling totally crushed by the amount of work I need to do this summer applying to PI fellowship sponsors/fellowships, clerkships, gov honors programs, and firms and totally freaked out by the prospect of not having ANYTHING. So, uh, yeah, sup guys.

Welcome chica. Hopefully you won't be here for too long.

The feeling you have is what made me get on antidepressants, by the way. Just try to find ways to relax and breathe. Try not to let it get to you as much as you can and please feel free to come in here and vent whenever.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

Oh I had that interview today, he seemed like he wanted to hire me, but I guess he's since posted it and plans to interview a couple other people. So now I wait.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Figure it's about time for me to post in here. I'm feeling totally crushed by the amount of work I need to do this summer applying to PI fellowship sponsors/fellowships, clerkships, gov honors programs, and firms and totally freaked out by the prospect of not having ANYTHING. So, uh, yeah, sup guys.

Sup Crumps

Wish you did not have to be welcomed ITT

HOpefully your stay will be brief

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:59 am

LeDique wrote:Oh I had that interview today, he seemed like he wanted to hire me, but I guess he's since posted it and plans to interview a couple other people. So now I wait.

Good luck dique.

Druid

Postby Druid » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 am

Yup. I stayed after work yesterday to send out stuff because I didn't want to waste the time in rush hour traffic. It's that time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 pm

how long until you hear back from firms after an in person callback? haven't had too much experience getting interviews with larger firms and curious when is time to give up / assume you didn't get it

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how long until you hear back from firms after an in person callback? haven't had too much experience getting interviews with larger firms and curious when is time to give up / assume you didn't get it

Varies

Could be next day

Could be months (happened to me but got the job)

Follow up at appropriate times to reiterate interest

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:03 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how long until you hear back from firms after an in person callback? haven't had too much experience getting interviews with larger firms and curious when is time to give up / assume you didn't get it

Varies

Could be next day

after the next day - whens the next appropriate time? thanks for the advice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Request of advice:

On Thursday the 10th, hiring partner at firmed called wanting to speak with me about my resume I submitted in mass mailing. She called me around 6:00 pm while I was eating dinner. I called her back the next day on her cell phone, which she gave to me, left a message. Waited until Tuesday the 15th and called again and made sure to leave a message with her secretary. I waited another week until the 22nd and called again and left another message. Should I keep being persistent about this? I am definitely interested in the firm but I don't want to come on too strong. Probably over thinking it but TLS always has good advice.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Varies

Could be next day

after the next day - whens the next appropriate time? thanks for the advice

I'd follow up every 2-3 weeks maybe

If it's like small firms and stuff hiring someone is like way down the to do list

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I interviewed for a fed gov position off of usa jobs at the end of April. They said I would hear by June/July. This is my best chance of a job at this point. I emailed the hiring contact (not a specific person, just an email address from the original usa jobs announcement) yesterday and didn't get an email back. It was prob the best interview of my life so I was really hoping this would work out. Do you think there is still a chance? I've heard that fed gov hiring is notoriously slow, but even so, I'm starting to lose hope.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I interviewed for a fed gov position off of usa jobs at the end of April. They said I would hear by June/July. This is my best chance of a job at this point. I emailed the hiring contact (not a specific person, just an email address from the original usa jobs announcement) yesterday and didn't get an email back. It was prob the best interview of my life so I was really hoping this would work out. Do you think there is still a chance? I've heard that fed gov hiring is notoriously slow, but even so, I'm starting to lose hope.

You still have another week in July, stay put. I wouldnt start worrying until early August.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 pm

What department/agency?

For the most part, Federal hiring is excruciatingly slow. It takes roughly a month to interview and another month for approvals. At least that has been the experience with the 2 agencies that I have experience with.

If the contact you emailed doesn't work within the office that you interviewed in (i.e. not a person you interviewed with), they are most likely not the best person to contact. If you really want to follow up, track down the attorney that you interviewed with (if you interviewed with an attorney)on the state bar website and see if there is a listed email address.

Keep your head up, you're most likely still in the running.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Customs & Border Protection. Hope I didn't mess anything up by sending the email... I just need to hear something at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Customs & Border Protection. Hope I didn't mess anything up by sending the email... I just need to hear something at this point.

Mind telling me which office or region? I'm waiting as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:20 pm

DC, Regulations and Rulings

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Does anybody have a good networking guide for post-grad jobs? The ones posted here seem more for getting an SA. I've heard this http://amzn.com/0314176772 mentioned a fair bit but the reviews on Amazon are quite lukewarm.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 pm

talk to professors who you did well with/who like you about your job hunt. if they like you enough to vouch for you, they should be able to connect you with at least one other recent alum in your field. it helps if you have more than one professor you can talk to. tell them that you wanna buy them lunch or coffee or something...or maybe just show up to their office hours in the fall.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have a good networking guide for post-grad jobs? The ones posted here seem more for getting an SA. I've heard this http://amzn.com/0314176772 mentioned a fair bit but the reviews on Amazon are quite lukewarm.

Email/call every single person you can. Obviously, the stronger the connection (e.g., recent alum), the better. But don't be hesitant to cold contact someone who you have no connection with.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Welcome. Hope your stay isn't too long.

I still haven't locked down a fellowship sponsor. Starting to get nervous. :|

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Finally out of the vale sorta, with a fellowship that may lead to something permanent. Now I can focus on failing the bar next week. Priorities.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:42 am

BlueLotus wrote:

Welcome. Hope your stay isn't too long.

I still haven't locked down a fellowship sponsor. Starting to get nervous. :|

Ditto to you. And me neither on the fellowship sponsor front, brother (or sister). I'm freaking out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:59 am

whatsyourdeal wrote:What department/agency?

For the most part, Federal hiring is excruciatingly slow. It takes roughly a month to interview and another month for approvals. At least that has been the experience with the 2 agencies that I have experience with.

If the contact you emailed doesn't work within the office that you interviewed in (i.e. not a person you interviewed with), they are most likely not the best person to contact. If you really want to follow up, track down the attorney that you interviewed with (if you interviewed with an attorney)on the state bar website and see if there is a listed email address.

Keep your head up, you're most likely still in the running.

Does the same apply for an "Honors program?" Interviewed few weeks ago for the final round. I followed up a week ago, no response, assuming I'm dinged because they probably already have approvals.

Return to “Legal Employment”