The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Lawst » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:42 pm

In the midst of interviewing for, and being rejected for, non-paying volunteer public interest "jobs" while also studying for the bar. Not much to say other than this must be some sort of karmic hell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm

To keep hopes up since I was in the Vale, things do come in waves it seems. I essentially accepted an offer for a city job, but this week I will be interviewing for a fed gov job in DC. All of this is occurring while I am in between jobs (my last job was a fellowship that terminated) and studying for another state's bar exam. It would be difficult for me a year ago shortly after graduating to ever feel like I would be in this position, or even when my fellowship was winding down and I was becoming suicidally depressed b/c of how hopeless and bleak everything felt. So keep on trucking. Once I have everything settled and know where I will be working, I will definitely be back to tell my whole story and help others having gone through the hell of law school and beyond.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:17 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aardvark87
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby aardvark87 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Not out of the Vale, but did pass moral character after about a year. This was a huge personal hurdle, and now the job search really begins.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 pm

I have a bit of a dilemma and it is pretty stupid. I have interviewed at a number of local PD offices but they are all waiting until my bar results. I believe I can land one of those PD jobs but my fear is I won't get hired until January. In the alternative, my mentor suggested I look into private practice because the pay is better and I'd likely get hired in Sept with my credentials.

My question is should I apply to private firms or just wait for the PDs to hire me? I really want to do trial work and I know in private practice I'd likely not see the courtroom for 5-7 years if I am lucky?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a bit of a dilemma and it is pretty stupid. I have interviewed at a number of local PD offices but they are all waiting until my bar results. I believe I can land one of those PD jobs but my fear is I won't get hired until January. In the alternative, my mentor suggested I look into private practice because the pay is better and I'd likely get hired in Sept with my credentials.

My question is should I apply to private firms or just wait for the PDs to hire me? I really want to do trial work and I know in private practice I'd likely not see the courtroom for 5-7 years if I am lucky?


Are the private firms sure to be long-term offers? A lot of people who want to get into PD work work part-time at a firm. If you're sure you've got a good chance of being hired at the PD offices once you pass the bar, then I wouldn't worry about working part-time only at a firm.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Lawst wrote:In the midst of interviewing for, and being rejected for, non-paying volunteer public interest "jobs" while also studying for the bar. Not much to say other than this must be some sort of karmic hell.


I spent so much of this past year getting rejected from jobs I was positive I was qualified for, and everybody was shocked that I was rejected. I began to doubt my ability to interview, and doubt every decision I had ever made. If you have been reading this thread for a while, you'll see that I had to take a significant dose of sleep meds because I was so stressed out that I was not sleeping.

Then all of a sudden last week, I was offered a bigfed job in my home city and a Fed D Court Clerkship in my home district within two days. If I had gotten any of those jobs I mentioned earlier, I never would have applied to the clerkship.

Anyway, one day, it'll just happen. I honestly do feel that my time in the vale, experiencing those rejections, built character. That being said, it really does suck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a bit of a dilemma and it is pretty stupid. I have interviewed at a number of local PD offices but they are all waiting until my bar results. I believe I can land one of those PD jobs but my fear is I won't get hired until January. In the alternative, my mentor suggested I look into private practice because the pay is better and I'd likely get hired in Sept with my credentials.

My question is should I apply to private firms or just wait for the PDs to hire me? I really want to do trial work and I know in private practice I'd likely not see the courtroom for 5-7 years if I am lucky?


Are the private firms sure to be long-term offers? A lot of people who want to get into PD work work part-time at a firm. If you're sure you've got a good chance of being hired at the PD offices once you pass the bar, then I wouldn't worry about working part-time only at a firm.


Everything is full time as an associate.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a bit of a dilemma and it is pretty stupid. I have interviewed at a number of local PD offices but they are all waiting until my bar results. I believe I can land one of those PD jobs but my fear is I won't get hired until January. In the alternative, my mentor suggested I look into private practice because the pay is better and I'd likely get hired in Sept with my credentials.

My question is should I apply to private firms or just wait for the PDs to hire me? I really want to do trial work and I know in private practice I'd likely not see the courtroom for 5-7 years if I am lucky?


Are the private firms sure to be long-term offers? A lot of people who want to get into PD work work part-time at a firm. If you're sure you've got a good chance of being hired at the PD offices once you pass the bar, then I wouldn't worry about working part-time only at a firm.


Everything is full time as an associate.


Hm, that's really tough then. You're just going to have to weigh your options. If it's a good salary, then it might be worth it, with the fallback plan of: If you don't like it there and still want to be a PD, jump ship after a few years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Hey folks -- after nearly a year of rejection, I'm out of the vale. I just received two job offers, and I am a bit torn between the two. Both are far from what I hoped for in terms of salary and job security, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Job A is at the firm where a worked as an SA for the past two summers. I enjoy the work and the work environment. Job A is also located in my hometown, a place where I would like to settle. On the other hand, Job A doesn't pay that much. Additionally, I am not sure whether I can count on being there for the long run because the partners made it clear that they are not sure whether hiring another associate would be profitable, but they are willing to take a chance with me.

Job B is a two year, state court clerkship at a trial court. I am interested in litigation, so a trial court clerkship is aligned with my interests. My salary at Job B would be about $2,000 higher than what Job A offers, and the benefits are better too. However, Job B is located across the country from where I am living, but I am taking the UBE this summer and Job B is in a UBE state, so there is a chance that I might move out there should I take a liking to the community.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, keep pushing guys; there is light at the end of the tunnel.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks -- after nearly a year of rejection, I'm out of the vale. I just received two job offers, and I am a bit torn between the two. Both are far from what I hoped for in terms of salary and job security, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Job A is at the firm where a worked as an SA for the past two summers. I enjoy the work and the work environment. Job A is also located in my hometown, a place where I would like to settle. On the other hand, Job A doesn't pay that much. Additionally, I am not sure whether I can count on being there for the long run because the partners made it clear that they are not sure whether hiring another associate would be profitable, but they are willing to take a chance with me.

Job B is a two year, state court clerkship at a trial court. I am interested in litigation, so a trial court clerkship is aligned with my interests. My salary at Job B would be about $2,000 higher than what Job A offers, and the benefits are better too. However, Job B is located across the country from where I am living, but I am taking the UBE this summer and Job B is in a UBE state, so there is a chance that I might move out there should I take a liking to the community.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, keep pushing guys; there is light at the end of the tunnel.



If you really want to be in the city that job A is in:
1) Take Job A
2) Hustle, show that as an associate you are not only profitable, but lucrative for the firm
3) Buy into firm as soon as they let you (assuming good, profitable firm)
4) ???
5) Profit

However, if you're "settling" for the place job A is in, and really don't know where you want to be, take job B as it will offer better long term prospects outside of town job A is in.

User avatar
Druid
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Druid » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks -- after nearly a year of rejection, I'm out of the vale. I just received two job offers, and I am a bit torn between the two. Both are far from what I hoped for in terms of salary and job security, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Job A is at the firm where a worked as an SA for the past two summers. I enjoy the work and the work environment. Job A is also located in my hometown, a place where I would like to settle. On the other hand, Job A doesn't pay that much. Additionally, I am not sure whether I can count on being there for the long run because the partners made it clear that they are not sure whether hiring another associate would be profitable, but they are willing to take a chance with me.

Job B is a two year, state court clerkship at a trial court. I am interested in litigation, so a trial court clerkship is aligned with my interests. My salary at Job B would be about $2,000 higher than what Job A offers, and the benefits are better too. However, Job B is located across the country from where I am living, but I am taking the UBE this summer and Job B is in a UBE state, so there is a chance that I might move out there should I take a liking to the community.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, keep pushing guys; there is light at the end of the tunnel.


It sounds like from the tone of your post you are, even if torn, leaning toward B. And that sounds like the generally better deal, too. But if you want to settle in your hometown, then obviously it's going to come down to your risk-aversion. If I was in your situation I would take Job A, but you may be more risk-averse than I am. What is the legal market like if they eventually decide to cut you?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 am

My screener interview went absolutely terrible yesterday. 20 candidates for 1 position and the questions were some of the weirdest ones I have ever been asked. It was a 15 minute phone exercise where the interviewer read off a script. Ugh.

On another shitty note, I had a job interview 2.5 weeks ago where the guy was essentially selling the place to me and even called my references. He was supposed to let me know his decision by the end of that week. I have reached out to him this week, and I have heard no response. I definitely did not get the job, but I am just angry he would string me along and get my hopes up that I got the job.

I have no leads now, and this mental state is really been affecting my bar studying. I have less than 3 weeks to go for the bar, and I got a VERY VERY low score on the simulated MBE. Shit does not look good. :(

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am

jaydizzle wrote:My screener interview went absolutely terrible yesterday. 20 candidates for 1 position and the questions were some of the weirdest ones I have ever been asked. It was a 15 minute phone exercise where the interviewer read off a script. Ugh.

On another shitty note, I had a job interview 2.5 weeks ago where the guy was essentially selling the place to me and even called my references. He was supposed to let me know his decision by the end of that week. I have reached out to him this week, and I have heard no response. I definitely did not get the job, but I am just angry he would string me along and get my hopes up that I got the job.

I have no leads now, and this mental state is really been affecting my bar studying. I have less than 3 weeks to go for the bar, and I got a VERY VERY low score on the simulated MBE. Shit does not look good. :(



I scored low too. Start drilling MBEs in study smart. Get the scores up. A lot of it is just seeing the same types of problems over and over again.

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby horriblegb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:56 pm

anyone have the new password for the buy intercollegiate job bank?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a bit of a dilemma and it is pretty stupid. I have interviewed at a number of local PD offices but they are all waiting until my bar results. I believe I can land one of those PD jobs but my fear is I won't get hired until January. In the alternative, my mentor suggested I look into private practice because the pay is better and I'd likely get hired in Sept with my credentials.

My question is should I apply to private firms or just wait for the PDs to hire me? I really want to do trial work and I know in private practice I'd likely not see the courtroom for 5-7 years if I am lucky?


Are the private firms sure to be long-term offers? A lot of people who want to get into PD work work part-time at a firm. If you're sure you've got a good chance of being hired at the PD offices once you pass the bar, then I wouldn't worry about working part-time only at a firm.


Everything is full time as an associate.


Apply for any fricking job you can get.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Out of the vale bros. A fed job (policy job, not legal really) I interviewed for a few weeks ago finally sent me a tentative offer. It's not in the location I wanted, but I can't really complain. Maybe now I can actually study for the bar?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:31 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Out of the vale bros. A fed job (policy job, not legal really) I interviewed for a few weeks ago finally sent me a tentative offer. It's not in the location I wanted, but I can't really complain. Maybe now I can actually study for the bar?

Grats man!

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks guys! It feels good. Always stay on the grind! No matter how much it sucks just keep pushing through. If I develop any insights or know of places that are hiring where I will be working I will be more than happy to pay it forward.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the job or location feel free to PM me.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby UndecidedMN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57 am

Hi, new to the Vale and need some advice. Gradutated as a transfer from U of M, top 1/3rd of class. I went heavy into tax (tax clinic 2 years, business concentration) because I am good at and weirdly enjoy it. Non-traditional lawyer with wife and kids. I transferred so late so I missed OCI and have struck out so far. I got accepted to NYU LLM Tax program. Have to make a decision this week. Would you recommend going or just skip it and keep job searching.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:Hi, new to the Vale and need some advice. Gradutated as a transfer from U of M, top 1/3rd of class. I went heavy into tax (tax clinic 2 years, business concentration) because I am good at and weirdly enjoy it. Non-traditional lawyer with wife and kids. I transferred so late so I missed OCI and have struck out so far. I got accepted to NYU LLM Tax program. Have to make a decision this week. Would you recommend going or just skip it and keep job searching.


start a new thread. not everybody checks this one, and you'll get some really useful input.

i am as far away from tax as can be, so i have no idea.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:57 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:Hi, new to the Vale and need some advice. Gradutated as a transfer from U of M, top 1/3rd of class. I went heavy into tax (tax clinic 2 years, business concentration) because I am good at and weirdly enjoy it. Non-traditional lawyer with wife and kids. I transferred so late so I missed OCI and have struck out so far. I got accepted to NYU LLM Tax program. Have to make a decision this week. Would you recommend going or just skip it and keep job searching.


I'd say the NYU LLM makes sense for you. Before I read that part, I was going to suggest taking the CPA exam.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Tanicius wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:Hi, new to the Vale and need some advice. Gradutated as a transfer from U of M, top 1/3rd of class. I went heavy into tax (tax clinic 2 years, business concentration) because I am good at and weirdly enjoy it. Non-traditional lawyer with wife and kids. I transferred so late so I missed OCI and have struck out so far. I got accepted to NYU LLM Tax program. Have to make a decision this week. Would you recommend going or just skip it and keep job searching.


I'd say the NYU LLM makes sense for you. Before I read that part, I was going to suggest taking the CPA exam.


If you have the credentials to sit for the CPA, I'd actually recommend taking that instead of the LLM... But, you're in kind of a unique situation with a family to support, so its really hard to say for sure that will get you a job.

Neither the CPA nor an LLM is going to guarantee a job. The LLM at least guarantees loans to support yourself and your family. But it also means more debt and moving to one of the most expensive cities in the US. Does your wife have a job where you live? Does she like it? How does she feel about moving to New York? There are so many things at play here that its hard for us to really give valuable advice.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.