The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:I fucking did it I fucking got out of the vale with a Federal District Court Clerkship in my home (desirable, competitive but not most competitive...certainly non-flyover) district. I go to a t30 and am below median. The stars literally aligned. All of the stress and sadness over my whole 3L year was worth it...because if I had gotten any of those jobs, I would not have even applied for this.

Best of luck to everybody else. It may seem bleak, but one day, it'll just happen.

Good work son


And it is Spleen. Way I see it, I'll fucking make my break via volunteering to solo if I have to.

gfunk01
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby gfunk01 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:46 am

Pretty definitely out of the vale. Just got notified that my paperwork was approved by the city, so now just need to make the details to confirm my position. Will update later. Thanks for the support.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:36 am

gfunk01 wrote:Pretty definitely out of the vale. Just got notified that my paperwork was approved by the city, so now just need to make the details to confirm my position. Will update later. Thanks for the support.



Nice! Well deserved.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:02 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandcastle45
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby sandcastle45 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:10 pm

My school posted a job at a firm…I was looking through their attorneys' bios and noticed one of them went to the same undergrad as me. It's a fairly uncommon undergrad in the part of the country we are at and a small school. The application is not supposed to go this person though. Is there anyway to make this connection or is just putting that I graduated from there enough in my cover letter? Don't want to do something weird, but at the same time, I feel like it might help? What to do?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:14 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sandcastle45 wrote:My school posted a job at a firm…I was looking through their attorneys' bios and noticed one of them went to the same undergrad as me. It's a fairly uncommon undergrad in the part of the country we are at and a small school. The application is not supposed to go this person though. Is there anyway to make this connection or is just putting that I graduated from there enough in my cover letter? Don't want to do something weird, but at the same time, I feel like it might help? What to do?

Email the dude, say you're thinking of applying, and ask him ab his practice and his work


You should do this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:05 pm

i just wanted to write and say good luck to everyone still on this thread.

I've been an on and off lurker but even just looking through the thread now there are all kinds of people's experiences. I was most interested in the T10/T6 perspectives and outcomes because that was my situation, but looking sucks for everyone. So good luck to everyone and keep trying because it's still possible.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13284
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 am

In case others don't receive the Oscar clerkship emails:

Judge Sheila O
US District Court
Fresno, CA
Term: 1 Year
Clerkship Type: Term Law Clerk-Chambers
Applications accepted: Jul 1, 2014 - Aug 1, 2014
Term Start: Oct 1, 2014

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Have an interview set for August after the bar.
I was getting curious when the start date would be for this firm.
Would it be okay to email them and ask about the potential start date? Or would this reflect badly on me (for whatever reason)?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an interview set for August after the bar.
I was getting curious when the start date would be for this firm.
Would it be okay to email them and ask about the potential start date? Or would this reflect badly on me (for whatever reason)?


Ask during your interview dude lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an interview set for August after the bar.
I was getting curious when the start date would be for this firm.
Would it be okay to email them and ask about the potential start date? Or would this reflect badly on me (for whatever reason)?


Ask during your interview dude lol



Yeah but the interview is in August, so I wanted to ask now because I have to plan for relocation etc..
And just wondering if asking about it has any bad implications that I am not aware of...

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Eh, I wouldn't ask. This is a logical question and in a perfect world would be completely fine to ask, but you know that hiring is weird. Firms seem to be hyper-sensitive to "cart before the horse" people. Unless you know the hiring partner well or are sure that they are not looking at other candidates, I would just assume that you would start whenever firms of that size and in the geographic area start (biglaw-no rush/flexible start, small firm-likely right after bar results come back).

Pokemon
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an interview set for August after the bar.
I was getting curious when the start date would be for this firm.
Would it be okay to email them and ask about the potential start date? Or would this reflect badly on me (for whatever reason)?


Ask during your interview dude lol



Yeah but the interview is in August, so I wanted to ask now because I have to plan for relocation etc..
And just wondering if asking about it has any bad implications that I am not aware of...


I would not ask out of the blue. Maybe when they offered you the interview, you could have asked, but now it has the potential to come off weirdly.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:11 am

Unless it affects whether or not you take the job I don't see the point in asking. You wouldn't make moving plans until they actually offered you a job, right? Which is obviously happening after the interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:56 am

I have a summary level criminal charge on my record that is being dropped at the end of August, so I guess the charge would show up as pending (?) now on a background check. I have a few interviews lined up this week, so I would guess if it went to a background check stage it would happen before the charges are dropped. Is this something I should bring up if they mention background checks? Do most employers do a background check? Neither application asked about being charged, just convictions, and this is definitely being dropped. Any thoughts?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a summary level criminal charge on my record that is being dropped at the end of August, so I guess the charge would show up as pending (?) now on a background check. I have a few interviews lined up this week, so I would guess if it went to a background check stage it would happen before the charges are dropped. Is this something I should bring up if they mention background checks? Do most employers do a background check? Neither application asked about being charged, just convictions, and this is definitely being dropped. Any thoughts?


Nobody's gonna care about an impending charge for speeding. For a DUI or drug possession or worse, they might care enough to ask. Would never in a million years bring it up in an interview myself though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:46 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a summary level criminal charge on my record that is being dropped at the end of August, so I guess the charge would show up as pending (?) now on a background check. I have a few interviews lined up this week, so I would guess if it went to a background check stage it would happen before the charges are dropped. Is this something I should bring up if they mention background checks? Do most employers do a background check? Neither application asked about being charged, just convictions, and this is definitely being dropped. Any thoughts?


Nobody's gonna care about an impending charge for speeding. For a DUI or drug possession or worse, they might care enough to ask. Would never in a million years bring it up in an interview myself though.


It's for "retail theft" (I was accused of concealing merchandise back in February, and the charges will be dropped at the end of August once I jump through some hoops). If I was asked I would disclosure it obviously, but I didn't know if they mentioned a background check if I should provide a quick explanation along the lines of - "was accused, spoke to magistrate, charges being dropped."?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 pm

Had an interview recently, really liked all the attorneys, long term potential is great...however it's a commission only model, there's no base salary, and it would require moving to an area where i have no ties not knowing my yearly take. And I'd have to hustle clients in the door day one. I'm not a salesperson, at all, the kind of cases i know how to handle at this stage in my career are low paying and good luck getting people to actually pay you. I have no clue how i would eat for the first couple years :(

I've been in the vale a stupidly long time and i just don't know what to do anymore. Doors slam in my face or the ones that are open just aren't feasible.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview recently, really liked all the attorneys, long term potential is great...however it's a commission only model, there's no base salary, and it would require moving to an area where i have no ties not knowing my yearly take. And I'd have to hustle clients in the door day one. I'm not a salesperson, at all, the kind of cases i know how to handle at this stage in my career are low paying and good luck getting people to actually pay you. I have no clue how i would eat for the first couple years :(

I've been in the vale a stupidly long time and i just don't know what to do anymore. Doors slam in my face or the ones that are open just aren't feasible.


I don't understand. These commission-only firms sound like pure Pyramid schemes. How is that is actually anything better than just working your own job at their building? Like, it's even worse than that, because you don't even get fully paid for the clientele you bring in. You're literally paying them for the privilege to bring in your own clients. It's like the legal version of Mary K. You'd be better advised to live at your parents' house and rent some random office space in your hometown and try to bring in clients that way. At least that way you'd be starting with the same book of business (i.e. none) but wouldn't have to move across the country and live without the support of family or friends, and you'd get to keep 100% of the after-tax income.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview recently, really liked all the attorneys, long term potential is great...however it's a commission only model, there's no base salary, and it would require moving to an area where i have no ties not knowing my yearly take. And I'd have to hustle clients in the door day one. I'm not a salesperson, at all, the kind of cases i know how to handle at this stage in my career are low paying and good luck getting people to actually pay you. I have no clue how i would eat for the first couple years :(

I've been in the vale a stupidly long time and i just don't know what to do anymore. Doors slam in my face or the ones that are open just aren't feasible.


I don't understand. These commission-only firms sound like pure Pyramid schemes. How is that is actually anything better than just working your own job at their building? Like, it's even worse than that, because you don't even get fully paid for the clientele you bring in. You're literally paying them for the privilege to bring in your own clients. It's like the legal version of Mary K. You'd be better advised to live at your parents' house and rent some random office space in your hometown and try to bring in clients that way. At least that way you'd be starting with the same book of business (i.e. none) but wouldn't have to move across the country and live without the support of family or friends, and you'd get to keep 100% of the after-tax income.

I hadn't ever encountered it, but thank you for phrasing it this way because I'd feel less crappy turning it down.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 pm

I think malpractice insurance is usually one of the benefits of a shop like that. (Not saying it's a great opportunity by any means. But if the alternative is trying to open your own shop, it makes a difference.)

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I think malpractice insurance is usually one of the benefits of a shop like that. (Not saying it's a great opportunity by any means. But if the alternative is trying to open your own shop, it makes a difference.)


Really don't understand why so many people on TLS assume law grads require mal insurance.

1. Most solos don't have it.
2. Legal malpractice is hard to pull off.
3. Your (probably) judgement proof.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I think malpractice insurance is usually one of the benefits of a shop like that. (Not saying it's a great opportunity by any means. But if the alternative is trying to open your own shop, it makes a difference.)


Malpractice insurance isn't necessary for beginning solo's. Most of your work is super low-risk and you're judgment proof anyway. Also, malpractice insurance offers super low rates for recent law grads.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.