The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 am

I decided to make the "to-do list" joke in my thank you note... the interviewer wrote back "LOVE your P.S.!" So, I guess jokes can be a good thing.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 pm

gfunk01 wrote:I'm also studying for the CA bar and searching for job. Already had a few interviews, and I will be flying out to DC in a couple weeks (unfortunately at my own expense since fed gov) for callback. I'm not dealing w/ getting married or anything like that and living at home w/ my parents, so have a lot less stresses thankfully. Still really would like a job and still waiting to hear back from NYC to see if I have budget approval for a position, so still floating in the vale.


I am grateful for the number of interviews I am getting, but it is certainly difficult in conjunction with bar study. For every interview, I prep for at least half a day if not more. What's worse is that a lot of the jobs I am going for have multiple rounds of interviews. I feel myself getting further and further behind in the bar syllabus. It sucks, but I figure the job is more important, right?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I decided to make the "to-do list" joke in my thank you note... the interviewer wrote back "LOVE your P.S.!" So, I guess jokes can be a good thing.

Yeah that seems like a good joke bc y'all had a moment

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:49 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
gfunk01 wrote:I'm also studying for the CA bar and searching for job. Already had a few interviews, and I will be flying out to DC in a couple weeks (unfortunately at my own expense since fed gov) for callback. I'm not dealing w/ getting married or anything like that and living at home w/ my parents, so have a lot less stresses thankfully. Still really would like a job and still waiting to hear back from NYC to see if I have budget approval for a position, so still floating in the vale.


I am grateful for the number of interviews I am getting, but it is certainly difficult in conjunction with bar study. For every interview, I prep for at least half a day if not more. What's worse is that a lot of the jobs I am going for have multiple rounds of interviews. I feel myself getting further and further behind in the bar syllabus. It sucks, but I figure the job is more important, right?


CA bar is hard, don't underestimate it. Failing the bar might have adverse consequences on any offer you might get so you don't want to fall too far behind on the syllabus.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
I am grateful for the number of interviews I am getting, but it is certainly difficult in conjunction with bar study. For every interview, I prep for at least half a day if not more. What's worse is that a lot of the jobs I am going for have multiple rounds of interviews. I feel myself getting further and further behind in the bar syllabus. It sucks, but I figure the job is more important, right?


CA bar is hard, don't underestimate it. Failing the bar might have adverse consequences on any offer you might get so you don't want to fall too far behind on the syllabus.



That said, turning down interviews strikes me as a bad thing. Obj, you probably need to dedicate more time to bar study and drop any other activities apart from bar study and interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Druid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I pulled my dismal GPA to a 3.006. Should I even bother putting that on the resume? Aiming for PD/Legal Aid, which I know are less grades-conscious. I go to a T30.


Are you sending your transcript with it?


I've never been asked for a transcript for any PI internship I applied to, but I'd imagine that employers would care somewhat for FTLT jerbs and may ask.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it really devastating on your career to take paralegal work post-JD? Got an interview for paralegal work at a level that pays almost double what a PD in my state makes. I've always heard not to take paralegal work post-JD because it's a really bad mark on a resume, but I've graduated, have no job, bills to pay and I've sent out over 100 applications to every listing I could find plus mass mails to PDs, DAs, state clerkships and private firms. Only about 30% of my class has jobs right now because my state doesn't seem to like hiring before you're barred. A lot of the ones who found jobs took non attorney jobs. I haven't decided anything and an interview is just an interview...but if I got the offer I don't know if I could turn down that much money for the possibility of maybe getting something sometime after I pass the bar in November. Thoughts?


This anon here, second round interview this week, first one went really well. Looking like an offer might be a possibility.

A few more facts without revealing too much info: I've had experience with this office before and really like the work and the people, but an attorney position is out without a few years of experience (not a firm). There is almost no chance I'd be promoted from paralegal to attorney because trial experience is required. I'd get paid 60k and I live in a state where that is very, very good (PDs pay around 35k here). Not gonna lie, an offer would be seriously tempting, but I've heard so much advice not to take paralegal work post-JD, even though it pays well and I like the work and the office and I'd be happy here. I do want to be an attorney...but maybe not more than I want to be happy and comfortable and not unemployed and depressed. What would you guys do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:31 pm

(Sorry, didn't mean to post as anon, post deleted and reposted with screen name, I don't know how that happened).

sandcastle45
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby sandcastle45 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm not in that exact position, but I submitted something to a JD-preferred position at place I would freaking love to work at. I'm also still waiting to hear back about an attorney position. Honestly, if the JD-preferred job was offered to me first, I would take it…I might even take it over the attorney job if they were close in time/simultaneously offered. This particular job would be something I would love doing at a place I've always wanted to work and it would just be regular hours and decent pay ($60-70kish as well). But that's me…and of course this is all up in the air right now. I think you should do what feels best for you and what decision you would ultimately be happy with. You can't rely on what other people are doing or what they think you should be doing. If you think you would be happy with this job, then go for it! :D

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:18 pm

dresden doll wrote:Again, PI employers are highly unlikely to assume shit from the fact that your GPA isn 't listed on your resume.


This. And unless they ask, don't send a transcript.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
gfunk01 wrote:I'm also studying for the CA bar and searching for job. Already had a few interviews, and I will be flying out to DC in a couple weeks (unfortunately at my own expense since fed gov) for callback. I'm not dealing w/ getting married or anything like that and living at home w/ my parents, so have a lot less stresses thankfully. Still really would like a job and still waiting to hear back from NYC to see if I have budget approval for a position, so still floating in the vale.


I am grateful for the number of interviews I am getting, but it is certainly difficult in conjunction with bar study. For every interview, I prep for at least half a day if not more. What's worse is that a lot of the jobs I am going for have multiple rounds of interviews. I feel myself getting further and further behind in the bar syllabus. It sucks, but I figure the job is more important, right?


CA bar is hard, don't underestimate it. Failing the bar might have adverse consequences on any offer you might get so you don't want to fall too far behind on the syllabus.


I am not taking the CA or the NY bars. Only one state, that is on the easier side of the spectrum, but not the easiest (from what I hear). Did like one question worse than average on the midterm, but it's the essays I am worried about. Have another interview at another spot tomorrow, will fall one day further behind haha. Hoping to make it up this weekend, but who knows.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me

gratz pretz who with?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me


good luck pretzel! this is the one!

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:23 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me


good luck pretzel! this is the one!



Doc review interview for me today. The interviewer interviewed 6 of us individually in about an hour. Assembly line interview for assembly line legal work.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12578
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me

Congrats!!! Good luck to Pretzel & Bike!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me


Good luck dear...i will pray for you.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:12 pm

had two interviews this week, neither of which I thought I would get. I would be overjoyed to get an offer from either job. I thought both interviews went as well as they could have. I will find out next week and/or week after. This is my most optimistic week since last fall. Getting shot down by both of these within days of one another would be a serious blow.

related question--assuming you have a professor who is willing to make calls for you, how often and for what kinds of jobs (besides judicial clerkships) are you supposed to ask them to call?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW THIS WEEK YOU GUYS

Please let this be the end of the Vale for me

Congrats!!! Good luck to Pretzel & Bike!



This.


And bike: it's just a stepping stone bro.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:40 pm

I fucking did it I fucking got out of the vale with a Federal District Court Clerkship in my home (desirable, competitive but not most competitive...certainly non-flyover) district. I go to a t30 and am below median. The stars literally aligned. All of the stress and sadness over my whole 3L year was worth it...because if I had gotten any of those jobs, I would not have even applied for this.

Best of luck to everybody else. It may seem bleak, but one day, it'll just happen.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Fucking Congrats!!!

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:03 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:I fucking did it I fucking got out of the vale with a Federal District Court Clerkship in my home (desirable, competitive but not most competitive...certainly non-flyover) district. I go to a t30 and am below median. The stars literally aligned. All of the stress and sadness over my whole 3L year was worth it...because if I had gotten any of those jobs, I would not have even applied for this.

Best of luck to everybody else. It may seem bleak, but one day, it'll just happen.



Good job bro. Sick gig too. I am still waiting to hear back from my interview last week. I was supposed to hear back by the end of last week, but the government is super slow.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Add a week to your expected callback timeline. Ain't no federal or state workers getting anything done this week. There's only 4 days after all.


Good luck jay!

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:09 pm

spleenworship wrote:Add a week to your expected callback timeline. Ain't no federal or state workers getting anything done this week. There's only 4 days after all.


Good luck jay!


Thanks! It's a PMF gig.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:15 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:I fucking did it I fucking got out of the vale with a Federal District Court Clerkship in my home (desirable, competitive but not most competitive...certainly non-flyover) district. I go to a t30 and am below median. The stars literally aligned. All of the stress and sadness over my whole 3L year was worth it...because if I had gotten any of those jobs, I would not have even applied for this.

Best of luck to everybody else. It may seem bleak, but one day, it'll just happen.

Good work son




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.