The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious where everyone is at in terms of qualifications. I've sent out about 25-30 corporate related applications this spring and don't even get a response on 90% of them. But I'm 50% gpa at a T6, had a biglaw SA. Is this really that unqualified?

You're not unqualified but sending cold apps is just probably the hardest way to get a legal job as a 3L. You're basically hoping that the company or firm or whatever wants to hire at all, that if they want to hire they want to hire someone at the time you mail, that they want someone entry level, and that they want someone who can do what your resume says you have experience doing

Seldom do all those things align

Let me clarify that all of those applications have been for posted openings, did the mass mailing thing last fall and it was about 0/175. I even had a screening and callback interview with a firm and they still won't give me a yes/no offer a month and a half later.

ya brotato I have the same ~qualifications with you but w/ a lesser gpa; also sent out a fuckton of apps to no response
tbh at this point I think that all people w/o a job are fucked in the same way regardless of t6/t10/14 etc

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Bikeflip wrote:That's about par for the course, anon. Just keep applying and don't stress drink yourself to death.

As for qualifications, I don't think you can extrapolate as much as you want to: I'm c/o 2013 and still in the Vale post 1,000+ cover letters. I was median at a strong regional with interesting clinical experiences. Many of my classmates were in the Vale with magna cum laude on their resume. Others had honors and law review or honors and great clinical experiences. A few buddies were T14 and never left the Vale after a few years of trying.

Also bros, might have an interview with a solo. I'm not excited about it b/c there's limited information about this solo. No website. No linkedin. No professional volunteering experience. Only some bad AVVO reviews. He was also very specific about when I can interview, and his time is when I have a dr's appt I had to book months in advance.

Went to the doctor's, and the doctor won't take my insurance. Lawyer never called me back to reschedule. LJL at my life right now. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 pm

i'm new posting to this thread but wanted to hear other people's thoughts on navigating interviews at places while you're signed up to take another state's bar exam. i know it's not ideal but has it been very problematic and what if you previously intended on taking the second state's exam later anyway (my situation)?

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:34 pm

legalese_retard wrote:Scored an interview....albeit it is for a part-time barrista position at Starbucks, but it's an interview nonetheless. My thought is that I start working part-time now so that when I become officially unemployed in August, I can hopefully transition into a full-time position.

My only concern is convincing them that I am not a flight-risk. My contact at the store said they want someone that will be around for at least a year. I have over 200 rejection letters and emails from when I started applying in January and was thinking about bringing them as exhibits 1 thru 200. There are also tons of news articles about the plight of new lawyers that I can also reference.

Would this strategy be considered overkill?

SIGH....rejected from Starbucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:22 pm

I applied for an associate position at a big firm in NY late May and I just got a call to set up an interview with a couple partners and associates in the group. It's just an interview, but apparently some big firms are still hiring. Also I didn't do a 2L SA, fwiw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied for an associate position at a big firm in NY late May and I just got a call to set up an interview with a couple partners and associates in the group. It's just an interview, but apparently some big firms are still hiring. Also I didn't do a 2L SA, fwiw.

bro good luck ... stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied for an associate position at a big firm in NY late May and I just got a call to set up an interview with a couple partners and associates in the group. It's just an interview, but apparently some big firms are still hiring. Also I didn't do a 2L SA, fwiw.

bro good luck ... stats?

Somewhere above median at T50 (I'm really not sure where I fall after last semester). They only asked for a resume and transcript so I presume they saw my grades and classes. My grades weren't great 1L but 2L and 3L they were very good, and I only took classes related to banking, corporate finance, bankruptcy, etc. The position is in a finance/corporate group.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:10 pm

legalese_retard wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:Scored an interview....albeit it is for a part-time barrista position at Starbucks, but it's an interview nonetheless. My thought is that I start working part-time now so that when I become officially unemployed in August, I can hopefully transition into a full-time position.

My only concern is convincing them that I am not a flight-risk. My contact at the store said they want someone that will be around for at least a year. I have over 200 rejection letters and emails from when I started applying in January and was thinking about bringing them as exhibits 1 thru 200. There are also tons of news articles about the plight of new lawyers that I can also reference.

Would this strategy be considered overkill?

SIGH....rejected from Starbucks.

I know the feels. Keep grinding, dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bro good luck ... stats?

Somewhere above median at T50 (I'm really not sure where I fall after last semester). They only asked for a resume and transcript so I presume they saw my grades and classes. My grades weren't great 1L but 2L and 3L they were very good, and I only took classes related to banking, corporate finance, bankruptcy, etc. The position is in a finance/corporate group.

Sounds like SA? They have been interviewing a bunch of people for months now. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bro good luck ... stats?

Sounds like SA? They have been interviewing a bunch of people for months now. Good luck!

Thanks! It's not SA. I would be beyond thrilled if I could pull this off, but will gladly share the firm if things go south.

hous

Postby hous » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Are people from T6's having problems finding a job?

sundontshine

Postby sundontshine » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:34 pm

hous wrote:Are people from T6's having problems finding a job?

Yes. Read the top of this page and last page, for starters.

hous

Postby hous » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:58 am

sundontshine wrote:

I assumed they would have a much easier time finding jobs. Perhaps its because they wont consider jobs that pay 50k?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am

hous wrote:
sundontshine wrote:

I assumed they would have a much easier time finding jobs. Perhaps its because they wont consider jobs that pay 50k?

Have you even been reading this thread? It's tough out there. Maybe fewer people struggle from a T6 - I don't know numbers - but people who are struggling are struggling, and they're not being picky.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:35 am

Second round interview for an MBA type position 2 hours away from where I live next week. Hope it goes well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Why do firms consider me some kind of leper because I didn't have an SA? I went to a great school, my grades were good, I took coursework in the practice they are looking for yet I go to an interview and I'm treated as if I'm unworthy to be a lawyer there. I know it's a strong bias but it seems impossible to overcome it.

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 pm

I wish I could say otherwise. A bit puzzled about why a firm would interview a 3L when they’re not open to hiring 3Ls. I know my firm has dismissed the idea of 3L hiring, thus we’re not screening 3Ls as not to waste their time or raise false hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:34 pm

twenty 8 wrote:I wish I could say otherwise. A bit puzzled about why a firm would interview a 3L when they’re not open to hiring 3Ls. I know my firm has dismissed the idea of 3L hiring, thus we’re not screening 3Ls as not to waste their time or raise false hope.

Above poster. I'm not talking about mass-mailing. I'm talking about firms who posted looking for a 3L (ie someone graduating in 2014) for one of their groups and then slam me in the interview because I didn't have an SA.

JessNovember

Postby JessNovember » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Anybody in NYC willing to PM me job postings from their Symplicity? I can reciprocate with Chicago stuff.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
twenty 8 wrote:I wish I could say otherwise. A bit puzzled about why a firm would interview a 3L when they’re not open to hiring 3Ls. I know my firm has dismissed the idea of 3L hiring, thus we’re not screening 3Ls as not to waste their time or raise false hope.

Above poster. I'm not talking about mass-mailing. I'm talking about firms who posted looking for a 3L (ie someone graduating in 2014) for one of their groups and then slam me in the interview because I didn't have an SA.

Because, unfortunately, legal hiring -- and BigLaw hiring in particular -- is a game of successive elimination rounds. There are few jobs relative to the number of people interested in them. LSAT, school rank, and class rank all narrow the candidates. SA is the next round of musical chairs for BigLaw. 3L hiring isn't about adding more chairs to the circle, it is a chance to switch around who is in what seat. Sorry you are caught in the wrong spot.

Keep networking. Try to get some substantive experience as a 3L. As you get the experience, try to think of ways to define it broadly and narrowly. Niche experience will help open some doors, while more general skills will help open others. As you get closer to graduation, some firms may find that they have need to hire.

Good luck! (And don't stop going for 3L hiring slots, just know the game you are playing so your ego doesn't take such a hit)

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not talking about mass-mailing. I'm talking about firms who posted looking for a 3L (ie someone graduating in 2014) for one of their groups and then slam me in the interview because I didn't have an SA.

In that case, the firm likely suspects the 3Lwas not given an SA opportunity or else was no-offered, which IMO is a much harder sell. Out of curiosity are you in a smaller/secondary market where SA opportunities are limited? If not, how are you explaining what happened when they slam you in the interview? (I should ask how you are defining slam?)

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:14 am

So, I interviewed with a solo today in MA and he said the salary for the position would be $30,000. Do you guys think that is sustainable?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:21 am

* deleted as requested
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:two 2L friends at NU are without decent summer offers.
Dude A has 3.85 GPA. he is also above average looking and 6'3. not awkward, though not a SUPER CHARMER either.
Dude B has a 3.5 GPA. he is good looking but 5'6. outgoing.

Dude A has a crappy offer. if offered a job from his 2L summer job, it will only pay around 80k/yr.
Dude B has no offer.

Not too surprising Dude B has no offer... but wtfetty f @ Dude A?

Question: does Dude A have a decent chance at landing a good clerkship?

Ummm...... Since when is a job paying 80k crap? If Dude A does get the job, I say he was pretty successful.

Return to “Legal Employment”