The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had one interview and 2 dings in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure that in my meeting with CSO tomorrow, I'll be reminded to apply to state trial court clerkships, but I'd rather wait, take the bar, and try to grab a gig at a small shit law firm instead of just delaying the job search for another year. I'm so tired of this b.s.

Any skills that would be valuable to shitlaw firms?

Same skills as any other freshly minted JD. In other words, nope.

Make any decent grades in family law, t&e, crim (for govt.), bankruptcy, or torts II? Might be something you can sell in there.

Yeah, I did pretty well overall (top 15%, TT), and I was part of a clinic where I handled all the civil pretrial matters (discovery, including the deposition of the defendant) for a case that eventually settled (the following semester, so I didn't handle the settlement). I figure this could be useful to some PI attorney.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 pm

I've left the Vale. PM me if you want specifics. It's a good feeling. Best of luck to you all; I understand what each and every one of you feels.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:I've left the Vale. PM me if you want specifics. It's a good feeling. Best of luck to you all; I understand what each and every one of you feels.

Good to hear. You were one of the more public stories out there this year, at least from my lurkful readings of the forums. Congratulations.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 pm

NinerFan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I've left the Vale. PM me if you want specifics. It's a good feeling. Best of luck to you all; I understand what each and every one of you feels.

Good to hear. You were one of the more public stories out there this year, at least from my lurkful readings of the forums. Congratulations.

ty ty bro

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:36 pm

NinerFan wrote:

Congratulations, indeed. You were indeed born and bred for success and achievement. Hopefully the rest of us will join you soon.

Public stories help the rest of us realize that the jerb problem is widespread, so we shouldn't beat ourselves up over it too much. It also helps keep that motivation to hustle up somewhat.

Any chance you'll stick around the thread to offer advice and critiques?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Congratulations, rad. You give some of the best advice on this site, and I knew all that good karma would catch up to you at some point. I've been following your story on and off and am really glad it seems to have worked out for you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Congratulations, indeed. You were indeed born and bred for success and achievement. Hopefully the rest of us will join you soon.

Public stories help the rest of us realize that the jerb problem is widespread, so we shouldn't beat ourselves up over it too much. It also helps keep that motivation to hustle up somewhat.

Any chance you'll stick around the thread to offer advice and critiques?

Thanks man. Part of the reason why I kept poasting was because while looking for jobs sucks, it's nothing to be ashamed about. Though if you go to a "top" school it can feel that way sometimes when people talk about their 160k offers and such.

I'll stick around dude. For sure.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Congratulations, rad. You give some of the best advice on this site, and I knew all that good karma would catch up to you at some point. I've been following your story on and off and am really glad it seems to have worked out for you.

ty ty bro

I remember we applied to law school at the same time, so that means a lot

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Congrats bro. Can you at least publicly reveal if it was one of those cushy PSLF-eligible jerbs you were hoping for?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm

nevdash wrote:

Congrats bro. Can you at least publicly reveal if it was one of those cushy PSLF-eligible jerbs you were hoping for?

It's a firm, so considering that I am not a PI "true believer," it's better.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
nevdash wrote:

It's a firm, so considering that I am not a PI "true believer," it's better.

Would you be willing to say if it's in your hometown, law school town, or other town? If you don't want to be public, you can PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Contemplating voluntarily joining the Vale (reneging). SO has pending job offer in different state with 2x the pay....

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Contemplating voluntarily joining the Vale (reneging). SO has pending job offer in different state with 2x the pay....

What kind of job do you have now and do you have any network in that other state?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Seeing people from my no-offer firm will never stop being awkward. I saw 3 of em in a restaurant. Did one of those "look at each other a little too much before saying hello" things with one of them. One of the other people I had done a couple projects with; we didn't say hello or make eye contact. It felt like seeing an ex girlfriend. Unlike an ex though, there will be professional repercussions if I tell them to fuck themselves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 am

My firm no offered me and the other 2 SAs for "budget issues"...then went ahead and hired 2 new attorneys and 3 more SA's for the following summer...I was pissed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am

So, why is it that “no offers” are reluctant to out the firm?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, why is it that “no offers” are reluctant to out the firm?

Because it makes you really easy to out on the internet

Or, alternatively, for the same reason you poasted your comment as anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, why is it that “no offers” are reluctant to out the firm?

For the second year in a row the Goober law firm “no offered” all three of their SAs. . . the repercussions of posting this are what? As in worse case scenario….

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

For the second year in a row the Goober law firm “no offered” all three of their SAs. . . the repercussions of posting this are what? As in worse case scenario….

What is the worst case scenario of people looking at my browsing history? Probably nothing, but I still wouldn't prefer it to be publicized on the internet that I searched for "Riley Reid feet" at least a couple times today.

Also, this thread isn't really the place for that anyway. There was a thread about offers already. I assume from your anon abuse that you're not a jobless 3L, so use the fucking search function.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 pm

If any consolation out there, I have a phone screening interview w/ a NY biglaw firm next week (don't remember when I sent my application or how), and there have been talks of a bunch of transactional side practices of biglaw starting to pick up and seek out new attorneys.

windowcactus

Postby windowcactus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If any consolation out there, I have a phone screening interview w/ a NY biglaw firm next week (don't remember when I sent my application or how), and there have been talks of a bunch of transactional side practices of biglaw starting to pick up and seek out new attorneys.

I think hope is generally dangerous emotion to feel at this stage. But, I appreciate this information.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 pm

windowcactus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If any consolation out there, I have a phone screening interview w/ a NY biglaw firm next week (don't remember when I sent my application or how), and there have been talks of a bunch of transactional side practices of biglaw starting to pick up and seek out new attorneys.

I think hope is generally dangerous emotion to feel at this stage. But, I appreciate this information.

Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

Kobe824

Postby Kobe824 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm

I hope you're right. So, this phone screener just came out of the blue?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Kobe824 wrote:

I hope you're right. So, this phone screener just came out of the blue?

Pretty much. I did essentially a resume drop back in late November after hearing about it either through Symplicity or in the "firms hiring 3L" thread. At this point, will only have a brief phone call next week, but hopefully it's a sign of good things to come for me.

target

Postby target » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 am

kalvano wrote:
windowcactus wrote:

Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

I love that movie.

Return to “Legal Employment”