The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pretzel_Logic

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:59 pm

worldtraveler wrote:And I'm rooting for you pretzel.

Thanks. I was beyond upset last night but now I'm trying to find the humor in the whole ridiculous situation. I'm volunteering a few days a week and when I told my supervisor about the whole deal (way more detail than what I put here) her jaw dropped, so, lol. And my dad actually said "well, that lady sounds like she has a severe case of Ass Burgers, so don't worry about it." TLS in real life + dads are great. haha.

gfunk01

Postby gfunk01 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm starting to pick up some fed gov interviews from applications I submitted from I don't know how long ago, so fed gov hiring may be picking up now. The DoJ is hiring a lot of people, and I even got an interview for one even though don't have a litigation background and was in a state I never even been near (didn't get the job). Keep trucking. I'm also still waiting to hear about my hopeful budget approval so can be fully out. I would kill for a moment of stability in my life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Do you guys think the recruiters actually read the resume you mass-emailed?

And any advice as to what to include in a cover letter? (newly joining this 3L search unfortunately)

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Saw that they are pumping a bunch of money into EJW for immigration related fellowships, not sure when this starts but maybe something to look into for y'all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /10060725/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys think the recruiters actually read the resume you mass-emailed?

And any advice as to what to include in a cover letter? (newly joining this 3L search unfortunately)

Also do you guys individualize each cover letter? and change all the names of the recipient etc?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys think the recruiters actually read the resume you mass-emailed?

Also do you guys individualize each cover letter? and change all the names of the recipient etc?

Always

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

At the very least, do mail merge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Anyone interview with US Customs Office of Regulations and Rulings? Looking like my best shot at a jerb thus far and I'm waiting to hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:23 am

Is it really devastating on your career to take paralegal work post-JD? Got an interview for paralegal work at a level that pays almost double what a PD in my state makes. I've always heard not to take paralegal work post-JD because it's a really bad mark on a resume, but I've graduated, have no job, bills to pay and I've sent out over 100 applications to every listing I could find plus mass mails to PDs, DAs, state clerkships and private firms. Only about 30% of my class has jobs right now because my state doesn't seem to like hiring before you're barred. A lot of the ones who found jobs took non attorney jobs. I haven't decided anything and an interview is just an interview...but if I got the offer I don't know if I could turn down that much money for the possibility of maybe getting something sometime after I pass the bar in November. Thoughts?

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:45 am

I applied to a paralegal job and got instantly rejected. And I mean instantly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:49 am

sandcastle45 wrote:I applied to a paralegal job and got instantly rejected. And I mean instantly.

Yeah I'm honestly shocked I got an interview at all and I know it's far from a guarantee. Just wanted to make a game plan before I went in there. I asked a professor who's kind of been my mentor about it and his advice was a resounding "nopenopenopenope." Then again, this was the same guy who told everyone not to settle for anything less than their dream job, so...

Edit: Just found a listing for an attorney position requiring long hours and work on nights, weekends and holidays under "high pressure." Salary was 38k. The paralegal job is sounding a lot more attractive.

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 am

I mean, if it were me, I would do it. Having money is good!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:50 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:10 pm

It's basically not going to happen if you don't have firm experience, but might as well do all that stuff, because what else are you going to do, sit on your ass and do nothing?

I second this.

The only thing you loose is time. And self-respect.
But who needs that stuff, anyway?

I know 2 people with no biglaw experience who got biglaw as 3Ls through mass mailing and networking. I went to a T2 as well so it very well may be a higher chance at a better school. With that said, both of these people were top 10% and Law Review.

I know a lot of T50 students who didn't make it (despite a good market). The door swings both ways.
Really, the only thing you can rely on is your own effort.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:20 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Congrats jess!

And I'm rooting for you pretzel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it really devastating on your career to take paralegal work post-JD? Got an interview for paralegal work at a level that pays almost double what a PD in my state makes. I've always heard not to take paralegal work post-JD because it's a really bad mark on a resume, but I've graduated, have no job, bills to pay and I've sent out over 100 applications to every listing I could find plus mass mails to PDs, DAs, state clerkships and private firms. Only about 30% of my class has jobs right now because my state doesn't seem to like hiring before you're barred. A lot of the ones who found jobs took non attorney jobs. I haven't decided anything and an interview is just an interview...but if I got the offer I don't know if I could turn down that much money for the possibility of maybe getting something sometime after I pass the bar in November. Thoughts?

No, it may lead to an attorney position. Several friends of mine were able to transition from paralegal to attorney at the firm they were working at. One of my friends was hired as a paralegal at a boutique firm in a big market after failing the bar for the 3rd time, passed the fourth attempt and was promoted to attorney.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Hey guys, how hard is it to go from small firm (or non-profit etc) to big law firm after a year or two?
(Assuming good school, strong academics and 2L SA big law experience).
Is there any strategy or some advice how people do this?
Thanks.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:44 pm

^^ Anon, if you PM me I can give you some insight. Currently in the early stages of this process.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:21 pm

MIGHT have a temp gig lined up. Which would involve getting paid.

Plz plz come through, oh temp gig.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, how hard is it to go from small firm (or non-profit etc) to big law firm after a year or two?
(Assuming good school, strong academics and 2L SA big law experience).
Is there any strategy or some advice how people do this?
Thanks.

I know of people who transitioned into biglaw from nonprofit but they all worked in employment law which firms apparently find very useful.

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Now that we have less than two months until the bar exam, I decided to put my job hunt on hold and devote all of my focus on bar prep. What do you guys think? Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:00 am

Posting anon because I am paranoid about outing myself. In any event, just graduated from a T6, first half of law school 3.02, second half of law school 3.45. My school hides the median GPA pretty well, but I figure I'm not too far off. Had nothing before graduation, but it has picked up a bit, got 3 things in the past week or so. I'm technically in the vale in terms of real legal jobs. I have the school fellowship that lasts for a year, a non-law gig overseas that would place me in a decent position financially, and then a compliance gig at a big company that pays OK. The school fellowship is legal, but is there any remote shot at midlaw at this point? Any tips, strategies, or suggestion? Im in phase two of the plan I hatched up after bombing out of OCI 2L. First was get good grades, pass the bar, then law job (hopefully).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:23 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:MIGHT have a temp gig lined up. Which would involve getting paid.

Plz plz come through, oh temp gig.

good luck! sending good vibes your way

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm

ditch digger wrote:Now that we have less than two months until the bar exam, I decided to put my job hunt on hold and devote all of my focus on bar prep. What do you guys think? Am I shooting myself in the foot?

not at all, from my experience last year at least no one has interest in you.

Basically I would look once a day for entry level hirings and easy apps (30 mins tops), but I held off any mass mailing until afterwards.

Even then, unfortunately, most would want to wait to see if you passed the bar. It is not a good time all around, imo. I think some people may differ but I was definitely more concerned about passing and mass mailing can be draining and demoralizing at times . . . ramble ramble

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Had my fellowship interview this morning. As I was getting downtown, I really needed to shit, but I figured I'd just go in and find the bathroom. On the elevator up, I was thinking about how I really needed to find a bathroom. One of the dudes on the bathroom is like "good luck – you seem nervous" and I wanted to be like "yea but that's about finding a bathroom" but I just said "thanks" instead.

Get in there. Dude starts talking. 10 minutes in, I just want to say something so I'm not sitting there. Dude is still talking. 15 minutes in, waiting for any opening. Been nearly 20 minutes he's been talking before he finally asks a question, and at that point I've been waiting so long to say anything, whatever I said was retarded. Finally just answer his questions, all things I knew my answer to. Finally noticed all the hockey stuff in his office, asked him about it, so we spent the last 20+ minutes talking about college hockey. Other best part, was he confirmed its completely fine to leave the fellowship as soon as you get a permanent/better job offer. So hopefully I can get this just to have that security there.

Return to “Legal Employment”