The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:10 pm

And I'm pretty sure payments made (or not made if your income is low enough) while unemployed won't count for PSLF - it's only payment made while you're in the job. The $0 payments might well count for IBR/PAYE, though (I never looked into that at the time).

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:12 pm

I am going to lose three PSLF months because I didn't consolidate earlier but that is only if you have types of loans that don't qualify for PSLF.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:31 pm

From someone who has done this: consolidate immediately and cut the grace period short if you expect to be employed in the fall by a nonprofit org. Just trust me on this one.

And while I haven't yet submitted my certifications (I plan to do these periodically so that the DOE has everything as I go), I'm pretty sure that $0 counts as a valid payment if that's what powers-that-be calculate your income contribution should be.

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:30 pm

dresden doll wrote:From someone who has done this: consolidate immediately and cut the grace period short if you expect to be employed in the fall by a nonprofit org. Just trust me on this one.

And while I haven't yet submitted my certifications (I plan to do these periodically so that the DOE has everything as I go), I'm pretty sure that $0 counts as a valid payment if that's what powers-that-be calculate your income contribution should be.

yeah it can be $0, you just have to have (1) a PSLF qualifying job and (2) have applied and been approved for IBR/PAYE/ICR or made a payment on your loans

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:13 am

do months spent clerking count as pslf?

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:26 am

yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Rising 3L without a SA here, wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone getting biglaw in this position. Basically, is it worth it to mass mail firms if you don't already have a firm gig? Or attend a diversity fair? Just trying to get my game plan in place. I know chances are slim to begin with but if it's nonzero, I might as well give mass mailing a shot.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Non-legal, but quasi-legal job phone interview tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Jessuf wrote:Had an interview yesterday that seemed to go pretty well. Was told I would hear within the next few days because they want to make a decision fast, so fingers crossed I finally get some good news.

omgomgomg got an offer just now. i also have an interview for a 2015 fed clerkship this week. life is totally looking up.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Had an interview yesterday that seemed to go pretty well. Was told I would hear within the next few days because they want to make a decision fast, so fingers crossed I finally get some good news.

omgomgomg got an offer just now. i also have an interview for a 2015 fed clerkship this week. life is totally looking up.

Hell yes! Congrats. I need some luck myself.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Jessuf wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Congrats! What is the job? Very happy for you, Jess

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L without a SA here, wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone getting biglaw in this position. Basically, is it worth it to mass mail firms if you don't already have a firm gig? Or attend a diversity fair? Just trying to get my game plan in place. I know chances are slim to begin with but if it's nonzero, I might as well give mass mailing a shot.

I know 2 people with no biglaw experience who got biglaw as 3Ls through mass mailing and networking. I went to a T2 as well so it very well may be a higher chance at a better school. With that said, both of these people were top 10% and Law Review.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 pm

YAYAYAYAYA Jess!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Massive congrats. Well deserved.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Congrats jess!!!!

Meanwhile i had the world's weirdest interview today. First partner asked me illegal questions and implied i was a whore immediately after meeting me, then the second partner was just flat browbeaten. Everything, down to the décor, in this place was bizarre to the nth degree. Ummmm red flags abound.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Congrats jess!!!!

Meanwhile i had the world's weirdest interview today. First partner asked me illegal questions and implied i was a whore immediately after meeting me, then the second partner was just flat browbeaten. Everything, down to the décor, in this place was bizarre to the nth degree. Ummmm red flags abound.

The partner implied you were a whore?

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:

Yep, immediately after asking about my marital status. In the first three minutes of the interview.

eta before anyone asks, partner was a woman. this all happened before she actually looked at my resume.
Last edited by Pretzel_Logic on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks, everyone!

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Yep, immediately after asking about my marital status. In the first three minutes of the interview.

eta before anyone asks, partner was a woman. this all happened before she actually looked at my resume.

That sounds awful to the point of being borderline actionable. Sorry this happened to you.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 am

BruceWayne wrote:
JoanSloan wrote:
I was told that if you are goin PSLF you should consolidate immediately and tell them to stop the grace period because you want to start payin immediately. Since they base your payments off last years taxes this should result in $0 payments per month for a year - all of which count towards your 120 required for forgiveness.

Huh. I never heard about this. I wonder if it's retroactive, then? In other words, you get a PS job in the fall, and all payments from the prior summer then count towards LF.

I'm actually not sure I want to do PS, though, so this definitely might not apply yet. Part of me wants to explore all avenues until I'm shut in/out by force...

This isn't true. At least that's not what happened to me or anyone else I know in the same situation. If you're making any sort of money they are interested in you paying 10% of your income.

Gross or net income.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:35 am

Had a phone interview. I think it went ok. I think there are a lot of candidates though. Here is to hoping for the best!

On a side note, anyone know the definite answer to consolidation? If we consolidate now we do not have to make payments if we have no job right? Just trying to soak all of this in and not make a poor decision.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Congrats jess!

And I'm rooting for you pretzel.

Return to “Legal Employment”