The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:04 am

For any of you looking for jobs while employed - what do you tell your current employer when you need to go to an in-person interview. I suspect they will see what's up if I keep saying I have Doctors appointments. Especially because I recently actually had all my annual doctors appointments.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:15 am

snowpeach06 wrote:For any of you looking for jobs while employed - what do you tell your current employer when you need to go to an in-person interview. I suspect they will see what's up if I keep saying I have Doctors appointments. Especially because I recently actually had all my annual doctors appointments.

Do you have to tell them anything, technically? I just block off Outlook appointments, set them to private, and leave.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 am

chrisbru wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:For any of you looking for jobs while employed - what do you tell your current employer when you need to go to an in-person interview. I suspect they will see what's up if I keep saying I have Doctors appointments. Especially because I recently actually had all my annual doctors appointments.

Do you have to tell them anything, technically? I just block off Outlook appointments, set them to private, and leave.

Yeah, I have to have an excuse as to why I won't be in the office. My two bosses work from home, and don't really know what's going on. So I can say I'm taking time off and not ask. But, 90% of the time I'm gone they call to ask me something and then keep calling asking where the fuck I am. At least if I pre-e-mail them to let them know I'm out I can point to that and it won't look like I'm just not showing.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Yeah, I have to have an excuse as to why I won't be in the office. My two bosses work from home, and don't really know what's going on. So I can say I'm taking time off and not ask. But, 90% of the time I'm gone they call to ask me something and then keep calling asking where the fuck I am. At least if I pre-e-mail them to let them know I'm out I can point to that and it won't look like I'm just not showing.

Jesus that sucks.

Can you just say you have an appointment and leave it vague?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Jesus that sucks.

Can you just say you have an appointment and leave it vague?

Maybe. But, it's not ideal.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:20 pm

If you don't have anyone to cover for you, that's probably your best option. I used to cover for my supervisor all the time when she was interviewing elsewhere so that if anyone needed something from her I would handle it while she was gone. It always worked well.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 pm

JenDarby wrote:If you don't have anyone to cover for you, that's probably your best option. I used to cover for my supervisor all the time when she was interviewing elsewhere so that if anyone needed something from her I would handle it while she was gone. It always worked well.

I think I may have mentioned, but one of the biggest problems with my job is that I work alone. There are four people at my org, and the other three work from home. And they have other things going on as well. I'm the only one who does this full-time. I do have an intern, but, the interview isn't on a day the intern comes in. I think it also looks really bad for the intern to know i'm job-hunting. They'll wonder what the hell they are doing here. I guess i'll go vague, "appointment" or maybe "friend in town only for the morning, taking morning off" or something.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:39 pm

I would definitely just say "appointment." What would happen if you told them you were at an interview?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:55 pm

That's super shitty, Snowpeach. Good to hear you're getting some interest, though.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Jessuf wrote:I would definitely just say "appointment." What would happen if you told them you were at an interview?

I'm not sure. Maybe they would start looking for someone else and fire me when they found someone. Maybe nothing would happen. But, I don't want to risk it. Especially because an interview is in no way a new job. The job I'm interviewing for isn't ideal either. Some days I think I'll take literally anything else because it's better than this. Other days, I think I should wait for a good opportunity in the field and issue area I want to be in. I just don't know.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Had an interview yesterday that seemed to go pretty well. Was told I would hear within the next few days because they want to make a decision fast, so fingers crossed I finally get some good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Jessuf wrote:Had an interview yesterday that seemed to go pretty well. Was told I would hear within the next few days because they want to make a decision fast, so fingers crossed I finally get some good news.

Fingers crossed for you. Also waiting on two places to let me know.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Had an interview yesterday that seemed to go pretty well. Was told I would hear within the next few days because they want to make a decision fast, so fingers crossed I finally get some good news.

Good luck to both of you!!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Sending out good vibes to pretz n jessuf

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:59 am

[quote="snowpeach06"]For any of you looking for jobs while employed - what do you tell your current employer when you need to go to an in-person interview. I suspect they will see what's up if I keep saying I have Doctors appointments. Especially because I recently actually had all my annual doctors appointments.[/quote

As an employer, it is none of my business why my employee is taking off, so long as he/she did not used up all of their personal/vacation time. Just put down appointment, if you are using Outlook then make the appointment green for personal. If asked by your colleagues, just say you are taking care of a personal matter.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:33 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck to both of you!!

Druid

Postby Druid » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Good luck. Been hoping for good things for you for a while.

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:57 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I guess i'll go vague, "appointment" or maybe "friend in town only for the morning, taking morning off" or something.

I had to take an extra-long lunch break because of a Sears delivery... couldn’t that work? Don't you need a riding mower or a sprinkler system, or...

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 pm

So, what are you guys doing in the "loan consolidation" front?

I just got the email that my loans are going into their grace period (man, I wish that stopped the interest from accruing). Since I don't actually have a job, or income, while I study for the bar, I'm wondering if it's best to wait until the end of the grace period to start researching/applying for consolidation/repayment plans. Or, until after the Bar at least.

Obviously, this is adding an extra layer of nervousness. How much thought I should invest on this at this point in time?

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:01 pm

JoanSloan wrote:So, what are you guys doing in the "loan consolidation" front?

I just got the email that my loans are going into their grace period (man, I wish that stopped the interest from accruing). Since I don't actually have a job, or income, while I study for the bar, I'm wondering if it's best to wait until the end of the grace period to start researching/applying for consolidation/repayment plans. Or, until after the Bar at least.

Obviously, this is adding an extra layer of nervousness. How much thought I should invest on this at this point in time?

i guess it kind of depends on what you're planning to do for your career.

if you are going to the PSLF + IBR/PAYE route, you might have some loans that don't qualify that you'll have to consolidate in order to make them qualify for those plans. for instance, you'll have to consolidate your perkins loans if you want them to qualify. so if you have perkins loans, you should start that process now because it takes 60-90 days.

my finaid office strongly recommends not consolidating the higher-interest loans with lower-interest loans so if you go into the private sector you can strategically pay them off. however, most of my loans were gradplus (like 75% or so, I think) with the shitty 7.9% anyway, and I had some perkins loans I needed to consolidate to have them qualify for PAYE, and I am doing the government thing so I'm going all-in on PSLF, so I just consolidated all my loans against the advice of my finaid office because it'll be a lot easier to deal with.

i think one way to do it is to consolidate all loans with the same interest rate to lessen how many you have out there, but in the end it's a personal decision.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:26 pm

I was told that if you are goin PSLF you should consolidate immediately and tell them to stop the grace period because you want to start payin immediately. Since they base your payments off last years taxes this should result in $0 payments per month for a year - all of which count towards your 120 required for forgiveness. 10% done without a dollar out of your accounts.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:03 pm

spleenworship wrote:I was told that if you are goin PSLF you should consolidate immediately and tell them to stop the grace period because you want to start payin immediately. Since they base your payments off last years taxes this should result in $0 payments per month for a year - all of which count towards your 120 required for forgiveness. 10% done without a dollar out of your accounts.

Yeah I mentioned this in the Ask TLS thread: what are the downsides to doing this for PAYE? Are there any?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:37 pm

LeDique wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I was told that if you are goin PSLF you should consolidate immediately and tell them to stop the grace period because you want to start payin immediately. Since they base your payments off last years taxes this should result in $0 payments per month for a year - all of which count towards your 120 required for forgiveness. 10% done without a dollar out of your accounts.

Yeah I mentioned this in the Ask TLS thread: what are the downsides to doing this for PAYE? Are there any?

Not that I know of, provided - of course - you actually do PSLF. Otherwise you are boning yourself with the capitalized interest.

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:38 pm

I was told that if you are goin PSLF you should consolidate immediately and tell them to stop the grace period because you want to start payin immediately. Since they base your payments off last years taxes this should result in $0 payments per month for a year - all of which count towards your 120 required for forgiveness.

Huh. I never heard about this. I wonder if it's retroactive, then? In other words, you get a PS job in the fall, and all payments from the prior summer then count towards LF.

I'm actually not sure I want to do PS, though, so this definitely might not apply yet. Part of me wants to explore all avenues until I'm shut in/out by force...

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:08 pm

JoanSloan wrote:
I was told that if you are goin PSLF you should consolidate immediately and tell them to stop the grace period because you want to start payin immediately. Since they base your payments off last years taxes this should result in $0 payments per month for a year - all of which count towards your 120 required for forgiveness.

Huh. I never heard about this. I wonder if it's retroactive, then? In other words, you get a PS job in the fall, and all payments from the prior summer then count towards LF.

I'm actually not sure I want to do PS, though, so this definitely might not apply yet. Part of me wants to explore all avenues until I'm shut in/out by force...

This isn't true. At least that's not what happened to me or anyone else I know in the same situation. If you're making any sort of money they are interested in you paying 10% of your income.

Return to “Legal Employment”