The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gfunk01

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby gfunk01 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:On pins and needles waiting to find out if a spot I reallllly want got the budget they needed. Pretty sure they didn't given that I haven't heard from them so I just sent an email to rip the band aid off. :|

I know I'm not the only one in this boat, but I'm seriously starting to wonder when I give up on the only fricking thing I want to do (practice law) and have to start waiting tables or something awful again. :(

Same here, waiting on a city job to find out if it will get budget approval. In the meantime, I've had to move back home w/ my family and am studying for the CA bar as back up since couldn't afford to keep living in NY w/out real income. This wasn't supposed to be how my life turn out at my age.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:40 pm

gfunk01 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:On pins and needles waiting to find out if a spot I reallllly want got the budget they needed. Pretty sure they didn't given that I haven't heard from them so I just sent an email to rip the band aid off. :|

I know I'm not the only one in this boat, but I'm seriously starting to wonder when I give up on the only fricking thing I want to do (practice law) and have to start waiting tables or something awful again. :(

Same here, waiting on a city job to find out if it will get budget approval. In the meantime, I've had to move back home w/ my family and am studying for the CA bar as back up since couldn't afford to keep living in NY w/out real income. This wasn't supposed to be how my life turn out at my age.

In a similar situation. Wanted to take my neighboring state's bar in July, they're slow as hell on C&F approval so I get to wait until at least next February. :roll:

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Good luck, everyone. Hopefully budgets come through and you can all get hired.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Jessuf wrote:Good luck, everyone. Hopefully budgets come through and you can all get hired.

thatgirlthere

Postby thatgirlthere » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20 pm

I interviewed for a full-time position, and 2 weeks after my interview, the position pops up on my school's symplicity. Guess I didn't get it...

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back from another interview I had for a job I really want, which is distracting me from studying for the bar exam.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 am

thatgirlthere wrote:I interviewed for a full-time position, and 2 weeks after my interview, the position pops up on my school's symplicity. Guess I didn't get it...

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back from another interview I had for a job I really want, which is distracting me from studying for the bar exam.

I know it's hard to do, but ignore this other job as much as you can. No pass, no job... whether they give you an offer or not.

Good luck tgt!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:13 am

thatgirlthere wrote:I interviewed for a full-time position, and 2 weeks after my interview, the position pops up on my school's symplicity. Guess I didn't get it...

I wouldn't worry about it popping back up on Symplicity--same thing happened to me and I still got an offer.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it popping back up on Symplicity--same thing happened to me and I still got an offer.

There are also laws which sometimes require places to advertise the position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:48 pm

How does everybody feel about actively searching for jobs while studying for the bar?

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does everybody feel about actively searching for jobs while studying for the bar?

as long as it's in your off-time i don't see how it would be bad. just don't sacrifice time you would otherwise have been studying. i looked around a little while studying for the bar, applied to things as they came up.

unless it stresses you out hardcore. would suck to be stressed about the bar and stressed about jobs.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:57 pm

You're in the Vale, and June's not the stressful of the 2 bar prep months. So apply to dem jerbs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi, I'm a rising 3L. Was an RA last summer and will be an RA again this summer. Transferred from T25 to T10 after 1L. Was top 15%ile after 1L; am at around median (possibly below) at new school for 2L.

Can someone please advise me on what I should be doing to have a job upon graduation?

I am clueless. Career Services just says "network" and "apply."

I have some experience in employee benefits law; how valuable or useless is that experience?

Any advice, please and thank you.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Intern at a firm that may be able to hire you at graduation. Intern at two if you can. Switch it up after first semester and find new places if it isn't going well. Apply to lots of jobs in the meantime.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:Intern at a firm that may be able to hire you at graduation. Intern at two if you can. Switch it up after first semester and find new places if it isn't going well. Apply to lots of jobs in the meantime.

This. Any substantive actual legal experience you get is going to be incredibly valuable and allow effortless networking opportunities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:Intern at a firm that may be able to hire you at graduation. Intern at two if you can. Switch it up after first semester and find new places if it isn't going well. Apply to lots of jobs in the meantime.

Firstly, thank you for your response.

Should I be applying right now, in early June? And what do these internships entail? Are they typically unpaid?

Also, where do I find listings for firms looking for interns?

Do corporations ever hire in-house attorneys right after grad?

Also, what about non-law jobs, like consultancy?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Should I be applying right now, in early June? And what do these internships entail? Are they typically unpaid?

1. Yes, absolutely apply right now. Discovery, memo, and motion drafting; legal research. Yes.

2. Symplicity, bar bulletins, websites of firms and corporations, websites like Craigslist, monster, state or local government websites, and usajobs.

3. Yes, both someone I know on TLS and a cousin got in house jobs right after graduation. It seems to be hard, but possible.

4. I don't know anything about this, maybe someone else can help. I know several people ITT know about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:59 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1. Yes, absolutely apply right now. Discovery, memo, and motion drafting; legal research. Yes.

2. Symplicity, bar bulletins, websites of firms and corporations, websites like Craigslist, monster, state or local government websites, and usajobs.

3. Yes, both someone I know on TLS and a cousin got in house jobs right after graduation. It seems to be hard, but possible.

4. I don't know anything about this, maybe someone else can help. I know several people ITT know about this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I'm sure you can empathize, but as a rising 3L watching all his friends fly away for BigLaw, I'm a bit of an emotional wreck.

I briefly stopped applying because I thought it was sort of pointless until later on in July or so, but I will get on it. Looking at some job sites (like Indeed), it seems like a few openings are still there.

If anyone can shed light on non-law jobs, I'd really appreciate it. McKinsey had a post on our Symplicity... I have no idea though, with my dip in 2L grades, it seems like that may be out of the question. They're insanely selective.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

It's going to be ok, anon.

sundontshine

Postby sundontshine » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:09 pm

What do you want to know about non-law jobs? McKinsey is likely out due to your GPA, but smaller consulting firms (non MBB, but still 300-500+ people) or F500 companies in a risk/analyst role are possibly an option if you play your cards right, network, and have a business, STEM, or other legitimate undergrad major. And you have to be ready like first week of fall to apply for bigger non-law jobs, the big companies tend to wrap up hiring by Thanksgiving for the following summer.

For non-law jobs, I went back to my undergrad's fall career fair and career services.

Try to get an internship through your school for fall or spring. Then, mass mail and apply to every law job you see that you might have a tiny bit of interest in. I know you're not doing biglaw this summer, do you have any summer job at all that could lead to an offer?

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 am

You guyssssss

I got an interview with a small firm next week

I have no idea if this is worth an ish but it's something!!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Thats great PL! Good luck, I really hope it works out for you. I root for everyone in the Vale, but I really root for you more than anybody cause you deserve to get your white stripe in life by now.

Let us know how it goes.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:01 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Thats great PL! Good luck, I really hope it works out for you. I root for everyone in the Vale, but I really root for you more than anybody cause you deserve to get your white stripe in life by now.

Let us know how it goes.

+1 even though i mostly lurk, I am rooting for you man its your time!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Good luck PL.

Another phone rejection. "We love you, but you're second place because your lack of experience."
So. fucked.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks y'all. Barbell, that almost made me cry that was so sweet.

Bikeflip, they suck. Sorry that happened to you. :( We're going to escape this hellhole, dude. We will.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:39 am

Bikeflip wrote:Good luck PL.

Another phone rejection. "We love you, but you're second place because your lack of experience."
So. fucked.

Sorry to hear bro. Keep at it. I just got a phone interview for a non-legal position. Hopefully, it goes well next week.

Return to “Legal Employment”