The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 28, 2014 2:27 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Congratulations kronk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, come visit with me sometime or vice versa. Especially if you are in the southern part of the state.

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Wed May 28, 2014 5:08 pm

i'll be in the high rockies in the northern half of CO. my fam has a house in santa fe though i am down there all the time we could meet at some point.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Void Six wrote:i'll be in the high rockies in the northern half of CO. my fam has a house in santa fe though i am down there all the time we could meet at some point.

PM me exact location so I can see how far away you are.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Void Six wrote:i'll be in the high rockies in the northern half of CO. my fam has a house in santa fe though i am down there all the time we could meet at some point.

Just PM a week or two beforehand and we'll meet up for beer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Void Six wrote:thanks dudes. very excited about it even if a little freaked out about having to do a real job for once. end of a couple stressful years.

Congratulations. The real job is much better than school.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed May 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Grats Kronk!

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed May 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Nice Kronk! Good job man.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu May 29, 2014 12:45 am

Void Six wrote:this is kronk

got that job up in the mountains

omg yesssssssss

congrats, kronk!

i love love love coming here and seeing people getting jerbs!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am

Congrats Kronk!! That's great news, you deserve it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Is 60K considered "fair" for doing social security disability in a high cost living area? I don't know too much about the business practices and market for SSDI.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is 60K considered "fair" for doing social security disability in a high cost living area? I don't know too much about the business practices and market for SSDI.

Seems fair considering that the practice area is high-volume and clients don't have a lot of money, so yes, unfortunately it does seem fair

Void Six

Postby Void Six » Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is 60K considered "fair" for doing social security disability in a high cost living area? I don't know too much about the business practices and market for SSDI.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I consider military vet benefits very similar to to SSDI and I worked for a firm that offered substantially more than that. Unless you aren't counting bonuses.

The firm I was working at the offer was 65k plus bonuses based on business that would have been about 10k. Decent raises for the year. I think you could at least ask for more. I do t know the area would necessarily matter because you can do that work anywhere I. The country for clients anywhere in the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Void Six wrote:

I don't know if this is relevant, but I consider military vet benefits very similar to to SSDI and I worked for a firm that offered substantially more than that. Unless you aren't counting bonuses.

The firm I was working at the offer was 65k plus bonuses based on business that would have been about 10k. Decent raises for the year. I think you could at least ask for more. I do t know the area would necessarily matter because you can do that work anywhere I. The country for clients anywhere in the country.

There are monthly "performance bonuses," and it is a quality, non-mill firm that has a good reputation. When the firm advertised the position they listed the salary as 60K, so I'm wondering if negotiation is even merited here. Considering I'm in the Vale, I shouldn't and am not one to be picky but still...60K will allow me to pay rent and then starve.

lbg0125

Postby lbg0125 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:35 am

Jessuf wrote:
Void Six wrote:this is kronk

got that job up in the mountains

omg yesssssssss

congrats, kronk!

i love love love coming here and seeing people getting jerbs!

This! Exciting when someone in the vale lands a well-deserved job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 10:13 am

so a recruiter just approached me about interviewing ... has anyone had experience w/ this?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri May 30, 2014 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Void Six wrote:

There are monthly "performance bonuses," and it is a quality, non-mill firm that has a good reputation. When the firm advertised the position they listed the salary as 60K, so I'm wondering if negotiation is even merited here. Considering I'm in the Vale, I shouldn't and am not one to be picky but still...60K will allow me to pay rent and then starve.

You could ask what the monthly "performance bonuses" usually entail. If it's an extra $1000-$1500 a month, then you might be good. If it's like $200, it might not be enough to make a difference.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:57 pm

I must say I will be leaving the vale as I have gained employment. I start at a public defenders office on Monday in TN (not rural). Super pumped!!!!! Hang in there guys it took me a bajillion no goes!

lbg0125

Postby lbg0125 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:39 pm

robin600 wrote:I must say I will be leaving the vale as I have gained employment. I start at a public defenders office on Monday in TN (not rural). Super pumped!!!!! Hang in there guys it took me a bajillion no goes!

Congrats!! That's awesome!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 30, 2014 6:42 pm

robin600 wrote:I must say I will be leaving the vale as I have gained employment. I start at a public defenders office on Monday in TN (not rural). Super pumped!!!!! Hang in there guys it took me a bajillion no goes!

Great News!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat May 31, 2014 12:04 am

Grats!

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 am

Congrats to the employed! Checking in here. I had an interview to a non-legal job yesterday. The interview was a complete disaster. The person basically told me the job was entirely different from the one advertised. After that, the person went on to say I should be applying to many jobs and how my resume can be forwarded by them. I wasted my whole damn day, and I won't have time to study for the bar this weekend now as well. I took the interview despite knowing it would set me back, and the person had no fricken intention of hiring me! I am so infuriated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:19 am

jaydizzle wrote:Congrats to the employed! Checking in here. I had an interview to a non-legal job yesterday. The interview was a complete disaster. The person basically told me the job was entirely different from the one advertised. After that, the person went on to say I should be applying to many jobs and how my resume can be forwarded by them. I wasted my whole damn day, and I won't have time to study for the bar this weekend now as well. I took the interview despite knowing it would set me back, and the person had no fricken intention of hiring me! I am so infuriated.

I had something similar happen to me like that that drove me up the wall. I interviewed with an out of town organization on my dime just to find out that they probably won't have funding to hire me. Then a month later I get an email from the interviewer telling me they didn't get funding. Then a few days later I see a job posting on their website for the same position. During finals week too so I'm pretty sure i barely passed one class because of this :(

When we are all big wigs in our future jobs that we WILL all get let's stick to the motto DBAD - don't be a dick.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Congrats to the employed! Checking in here. I had an interview to a non-legal job yesterday. The interview was a complete disaster. The person basically told me the job was entirely different from the one advertised. After that, the person went on to say I should be applying to many jobs and how my resume can be forwarded by them. I wasted my whole damn day, and I won't have time to study for the bar this weekend now as well. I took the interview despite knowing it would set me back, and the person had no fricken intention of hiring me! I am so infuriated.

I had something similar happen to me like that that drove me up the wall. I interviewed with an out of town organization on my dime just to find out that they probably won't have funding to hire me. Then a month later I get an email from the interviewer telling me they didn't get funding. Then a few days later I see a job posting on their website for the same position. During finals week too so I'm pretty sure i barely passed one class because of this :(

When we are all big wigs in our future jobs that we WILL all get let's stick to the motto DBAD - don't be a dick.

Fuckin A. That sucks for both of you. Keep chins up you two.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am

On pins and needles waiting to find out if a spot I reallllly want got the budget they needed. Pretty sure they didn't given that I haven't heard from them so I just sent an email to rip the band aid off. :|

I know I'm not the only one in this boat, but I'm seriously starting to wonder when I give up on the only fricking thing I want to do (practice law) and have to start waiting tables or something awful again. :(

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:55 am

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fuckin A. That sucks for both of you. Keep chins up you two.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Hopefully, I get more interviews eventually.

Also to the poster right above me: I feel you. Damn budgets.

Return to “Legal Employment”