The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bk1

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bk1 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Even if it's illegal (which it probably is), that fact is useless for OP.

@anon: Can you take the position and keep searching for a job? That seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 am

bk1 wrote:Even if it's illegal (which it probably is), that fact is useless for OP.

@anon: Can you take the position and keep searching for a job? That seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I can. I think that is what I'll do. I may as well get some real-world experience rather than sit on my ass doing nothing. At least until I get a paid offer.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 am

How are you all even searching for jobs? Entry level positions just don't get posted online, my school posts very few of them, USA jobs is a flame, and firms just don't seem to hire at all outside of their summer programs unless you've worked for at least 2 years. I feel like a new grad/less than 1 year removed grad is in no-man's land.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 21, 2014 11:41 am

BruceWayne wrote:How are you all even searching for jobs? Entry level positions just don't get posted online, my school posts very few of them, USA jobs is a flame, and firms just don't seem to hire at all outside of their summer programs unless you've worked for at least 2 years. I feel like a new grad/less than 1 year removed grad is in no-man's land.

I got about 5 interviews out of Monster slams. A lot of targeted mailings at least got responses.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 21, 2014 12:36 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello all. Long-time lurker here. Graduated in December from top 50 law school with average grades. Recently passed the NY Bar and am actively seeking employment. I was offered an unpaid internship at an immigration firm that might lead to a salaried position. For awhile I told myself that I would never work for free post-grad, but now I feel like I may as well do something, even if it is unpaid, so that I can market myself better once I pass. Any advice? Should I take the offer and hope they make me an offer once i'm admitted? Or should I pass on the offer, risk being unemployed, and seek another paying position.

How is it legal to not pay a postgraduate intern at a firm?

Well I mean it wasn't exactly legal pre-graduation either so…

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 21, 2014 1:17 pm

ditch digger wrote:I am a recent law school graduate who ended up just slightly above median at the 45th percentile. I still cannot find a suitable answer to the inevitable "what was your class rank?" interview question. Does anyone have tips as to the best way to answer this question?

My usual response is something like "I was ranked Xth out of Y students," and then follow up with a firm-specific question to ask my interviewer. Unfortunately, the I can always sense that the interview has made up his/her mind once it has become clear that I am not one of the top students in my class.

Is your rank not on your resume? It should be to avoid having to answer that.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Our CSO has been shoving this fellowship with a local city attorney's office, so I figured I should apply, since I don't have a job. I looked at the details, and it's $20/hr with no benefits. JFC. This job is going to constitute employment for over 5% of our class. EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed May 21, 2014 2:56 pm

LeDique wrote:Our CSO has been shoving this fellowship with a local city attorney's office, so I figured I should apply, since I don't have a job. I looked at the details, and it's $20/hr with no benefits. JFC. This job is going to constitute employment for over 5% of our class. EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS.

not bad money until you find something better

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 pm

dreakol wrote:
LeDique wrote:Our CSO has been shoving this fellowship with a local city attorney's office, so I figured I should apply, since I don't have a job. I looked at the details, and it's $20/hr with no benefits. JFC. This job is going to constitute employment for over 5% of our class. EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS.

not bad money until you find something better

Yeah, I'm just thinking about the large number of my classmates who are applying without the intention of leaving as soon as they find something better. I know I have no problem with applying and leaving as soon as I get something better. It also would be a good gig if you got hired on there full-time after the fellowship, but I'm guessing that's going to happen for like 1 person tops.

Idunno, I just hate that I'm applying to it, you know?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Yeah on the one hand I can easily live off $20hr 40hpw around here, on the other hand it's bullshit that people have to take jobs making less than waiters and waitresses because it's the only way to get a foot in the door.

If there was a near-guaranteed job with the city attorney's office afterwards as long as you were a solid worker, I would absolutely do it though, since that's what I would want to do ideally. But I'm guessing that you do that fellowship and then just have local government experience to apply to other offices, so you'd have to go through the entire process again, which would suck and be nerve-wracking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Ha. My T14 is asking us to apply for a fellowship that pays you 20k for the year.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ha. My T14 is asking us to apply for a fellowship that pays you 20k for the year.

what the fuck

also lol I just emailed CSO about who we should address the cover letter to, assuming they knew since they've been spamming us with e-mails to apply for the past month. I got a reply like "eh looking at their website I can't tell who is in charge of that section so uh, just do whatever." This whole thing just becomes more like an absurdist comedy everyday.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed May 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

yeah this is what my school offers too

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed May 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Srs question do they expect you to live with the rents that year or something?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Prolly Kronk.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Kronk wrote:Srs question do they expect you to live with the rents that year or something?

I would inquire about the habitability of the office

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed May 21, 2014 3:37 pm

LeDique wrote:
Kronk wrote:Srs question do they expect you to live with the rents that year or something?

I would inquire about the habitability of the office

Can someone ITT please apply to something like this so they can troll the office with that question during an interview.

CaptainCrunch

Postby CaptainCrunch » Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Kronk wrote:
LeDique wrote:I would inquire about the habitability of the office

Can someone ITT please apply to something like this so they can troll the office with that question during an interview.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

CaptainCrunch wrote:
Kronk wrote:
LeDique wrote:I would inquire about the habitability of the office

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's awesome.

The main fellowships we get emails regarding are through verious school institutes. They pay 2k/month and require 35 hours of work a week. They last 6 months to a year. 24k/year in NYC...

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu May 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Just got back from an interview. Guy said he was only interviewing 3 other people, so hey, 1 in 4 shot of getting it. Seemed like he really liked me too. Pray4dique

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Networking with a partner at a mid-size firm in smaller state (think New Jersey). We're just going to chat in his office. Is a suit too eager? I'm thinking suit, without a tie.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Networking with a partner at a mid-size firm in smaller state (think New Jersey). We're just going to chat in his office. Is a suit too eager? I'm thinking suit, without a tie.

Wear a tie. Being overly formal is better than being under dressed.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu May 22, 2014 7:24 pm

LeDique wrote:Just got back from an interview. Guy said he was only interviewing 3 other people, so hey, 1 in 4 shot of getting it. Seemed like he really liked me too. Pray4dique

praying4dique

you're pretty a pretty affable bro. i'd put my money on you without even knowing who the other three were. won't jinx you though.

just gotta get this first job, work our asses off, then in 5 years move into 9-5 job where we can megapoast and tinder girls all day

lbg0125

Postby lbg0125 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Kronk wrote:
LeDique wrote:Just got back from an interview. Guy said he was only interviewing 3 other people, so hey, 1 in 4 shot of getting it. Seemed like he really liked me too. Pray4dique

praying4dique

you're pretty a pretty affable bro. i'd put my money on you without even knowing who the other three were. won't jinx you though.

just gotta get this first job, work our asses off, then in 5 years move into 9-5 job where we can megapoast and tinder girls all day

Amen. Just gotta get that foot in the door! And I'll tinder some guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 8:56 am

Just went on the most demoralizing "interview" of my life.

I thought it was for a full time position bc that's what was advertised, posted salary and all. Instead, I got a generous "offer" to work nearly full time for free. I say nearly full time because the interviewer had to get on the computer the look up the exact number of hours they could get away with making me work without having to pay me or give health insurance (seriously those were the exact words, "hold on I need to check how much can I make you work without having to pay you or give you health insurance"). I won't even be considered for anything paying until after I have my bar results and even then my name is just "in the pool" of all the other "post-grad interns" (slaves) working for free hoping to get a job and the interviewer had no idea when an actual position might pop up. When I said I couldn't afford to work full time for free, I got told to go live with my parents. When I said they didn't live anywhere near the city, I got the side eye and a "well I really need people who are committed and passionate and aren't in this for the money."

I considered walking into oncoming traffic on my way out.

Return to “Legal Employment”