The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 13, 2014 12:47 pm

SloanFoam wrote:Hey guys, I'm joining the party. I'm a recent graduate trying to break into fed government, or transition to firms. Neither has worked, probably because my main strength is work experience and that's really limiting. I've gotten 1 interview in the last 5 months, and about 300 firm rejections (do agencies even send rejections any more?). Not sure what to hope for, now that I'm doing a second run without a clerkship.

That amount of rejections seems almost normal these days. Good luck and let us know how we can help though. Welcome!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue May 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Welcome to our shitty club, Foam. Get drunk on the cheap shit, but don't get alcohol poisoning. Obamacare bronze doesn't really cover it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Maybe this is just Vale psychosis but why can my classmates only talk about their start dates, bar stipends and bar trips? Can't they talk about other shit?

/rant

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this is just Vale psychosis but why can my classmates only talk about their start dates, bar stipends and bar trips? Can't they talk about other shit?

/rant

Because many law students and lawyers have low self-esteem and no confidence so they did need to overcompensate for their inferiority complex.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 4:31 pm

2 questions; could use some advice:

1. I interviewed with a small firm (~20 lawyers) a little over 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing. I'm tempted to follow up with them at the end of this week because I think there's a chance that they just plain forgot about me. Leading up to the interview, the partner I was in contact with was flaked out on a phone call and had to reschedule the interview because they weren't organized. It felt like I had to hold their hand every step of the way in setting up the interview. Would it be appropriate for me to follow up?

2. I've been trying to set up a phone interview with another partner of a small firm. The first time, she responded to me with a 3-hour window of time in which she would "probably" call me, like a cable guy. She flaked out, didn't call, and sent me an email a day later apologizing and telling me that she would call me next week. In my response, I suggested that we choose an actual time and asked for her availability. No response. Would calling her office be too pushy, or should I just leave our communications to emails for now?

It's freaking ridiculous how we have to tread so lightly for everything just to land a job when the people on the hiring side obviously don't give a flying fuck

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 13, 2014 4:39 pm

1. Follow up sounds like a good idea.

2. I wouldn't call.

ETA: and yes, it is ridiculous

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue May 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Ever been to an interview where you left thinking "if I have to work for these people, just shoot me now"?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue May 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Kronk wrote:Ever been to an interview where you left thinking "if I have to work for these people, just shoot me now"?

Haha yup. Know that feel. But an offer is an offer. Get 2 years and get out.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Kronk wrote:Ever been to an interview where you left thinking "if I have to work for these people, just shoot me now"?

Yes. Oh God yes.

fadedsunrise

Postby fadedsunrise » Tue May 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Saw another rising 3l on the previous page, so hopefully that means we're welcome here.

As of my last final today I am a full-time jobless rising 3l. Paid summer clerk position at a boutique lit firm, great substantive experience(have been here since spring semester part time) but miniscule chances of it turning full time. Just shy of median at T25, with previous DA and RA work, but K-JD otherwise.

I've networked since 1L, but probably not doing it right, as it's not paying dividends.

What can I be doing starting now so that I'm not in the vale post-graduation(or not in it for longer than I need to be?).

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Had a 3L event tonight and it was nice, but the professors can be a bit clueless. One of my 1L professors was asking me where I was working next year and I was like, nowhere, I don't have a job yet. And he was so embarrassed, and didn't have anything else to say to me. And it's like, you know this is a bad question. Why do they even ask? Ask me where I'm going this summer post-bar. That's something fun that I want to talk about, not joblessness.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 am

Faded - apply for every job you like, use your summer Jo to meet people from other firms that might be hiring, and keep networking. Networking didn't pay off for me until last week, in the end. Oh, and welcome!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 am

cinephile wrote:Had a 3L event tonight and it was nice, but the professors can be a bit clueless. One of my 1L professors was asking me where I was working next year and I was like, nowhere, I don't have a job yet. And he was so embarrassed, and didn't have anything else to say to me. And it's like, you know this is a bad question. Why do they even ask? Ask me where I'm going this summer post-bar. That's something fun that I want to talk about, not joblessness.

They're eternal optimists. It kills me. Half my class doesn't have a job, but you wouldn't know it taking to the profs.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed May 14, 2014 9:57 am

spleenworship wrote:Faded - apply for every job you like, use your summer Jo to meet people from other firms that might be hiring, and keep networking. Networking didn't pay off for me until last week, in the end. Oh, and welcome!

Do all of these things, and also try to make yourself as valuable as possible at your current firm. It sounds contrived, but just take it seriously and do as much as you can to show you bring worth to the firm and make personal connections with the people you work with. I never thought my 2L summer job would turn into full time post grad work, but in the end they fought to keep me here because it was more practical/cost effective than bringing in someone new even if they were paid less.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 am

Checking in. :cry:

(I'm assuming that rising 3Ls are welcome?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Just graduated and checking into the Vale after lurking here for a while. I'm probably the least qualified person in the entire history of this thread (median at TTT). I've gotten rejected from all remaining job apps. You know you're in a bad place when your biggest dilemma is trying to choose which volunteer position will save you the most money. Paid positions and full-time jobs are non-existent in our realm. There's nothing to even apply to. How come nobody wants me...?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Chin up as best you can new anon and new 3L bro.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just graduated and checking into the Vale after lurking here for a while. I'm probably the least qualified person in the entire history of this thread (median at TTT). I've gotten rejected from all remaining job apps. You know you're in a bad place when your biggest dilemma is trying to choose which volunteer position will save you the most money. Paid positions and full-time jobs are non-existent in our realm. There's nothing to even apply to. How come nobody wants me...?

It's not you. It's the bad economy, the changing legal landscape, and the glut of lawyers.

And welcome Lotus

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks spleen and bike. I've been cheering for you all silently. It is tough because I feel I have the work experience to be qualified for these jobs (think low level govt/DA/PD) but I think I am getting screened because of the grades. I do good work and have been told numerous times by employers that I was the "best intern" that semester/they ever had. I'm just not given the chance to prove it. I have almost straight As in all my uncurved classes. I just can't for the love of me do well on curved law school exams.

On top of that, my parents recently declared bankruptcy and their businesses are losing money. I need to provide for them and am not going to leave them dry. I'm lucky I don't have a family of my own to take care of like some of you do. But I wish someday to get married. I'm at that age, I guess. Although I wonder if it'll happen considering I've been avoiding social situations like the plague because I literally don't have the cash. It's quite embarrassing when my friends end up paying my tab. The few times I do go out, I make excuses to go home when they plan to do something that costs money. I feel like such a cheapskate.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just glad there's a thread here that doesn't judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 7:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:And welcome Lotus

Wait a sec... So rising 3L's who know they won't have an offer by the end of the summer are considered Valers?

(my situation)

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 pm

I don't know if I'd consider end of 2L year part of the vale. Even people with an SA don't know for sure if they have an offer yet. And nobody interested in gov/PI will have an offer yet, so this leaves pretty much everyone.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed May 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Lol, I can refrain from calling myself a Valer until the BigLawl SAs find out about their offers. :lol:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Yeah, it's really more for people as of the first day of their third year.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Eh, I knew I was a Valer as a rising 3L. So I can sympathize. That said, if you have a good SA or similar type jerb coming up, GTFO until you need the Vale. And here's to hoping those of you who may enter the Vale don't enter the Vale.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Eh, I knew I was a Valer as a rising 3L. So I can sympathize. That said, if you have a good SA or similar type jerb coming up, GTFO until you need the Vale. And here's to hoping those of you who may enter the Vale don't enter the Vale.

I'm working at Legal Aid this summer. It's what I wanna do in the long run and I'm really excited to start my internship in a few weeks, but there is an infinitesimal chance that I'll be hired by the org for a FTLT jerb....but yeah, I'm cool with deferring the Valer label until fall of 3L.

Btw, class of 2014 do-gooders in the Vale, this fellowship is STILL accepting apps:

http://www.mlassp.org/applynow.htm

Return to “Legal Employment”