The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 am

I just received a screener with a small/mid law firm through my schools "Spring OCI." Additionally, I was contacted by a firm that I interviewed with during 2L OCI and they have been calling places I have worked. However, I have not received an interview yet. Both of the firms are in or near my hometown and both are in the state where I go to school (strong state school T30-40).

There are still jobs to be had, just keep at it!

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 pm

windowcactus wrote:For those of you who received recent offers to interview, were the interviews the result of mass-mailing or networking?

My very few interviews have come from networking, symplicity/OCI, or direct mailing when solicited. I've never got an interview off a cold mailer.

User avatar
lightsandbuzz
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby lightsandbuzz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:04 pm

I'd really like to chat with someone who's had any margin of success with mass mailing (even if it was just an interview).

PM me if you don't mind!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:13 pm

So nice when a firm rejects you with the claim "we've already filled the position!" then posts it again on your school's Symplicity.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm

I got one of my interviews through an online "classified" ad and one through simplicity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 pm

windowcactus wrote:For those of you who received recent offers to interview, were the interviews the result of mass-mailing or networking?


I've had one through Symplicity, one through mass email , and one from a 3L posting on this forum.

windowcactus
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby windowcactus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 pm

I have not done any mass-mailing so far. I just followed the advice of career services and focused solely on networking. Unfortunately, I have not received any interviews so far. I started thinking maybe mass-mailing was the way to go. Except for one person on this thread, mass-mailing hasn't netted anyone an interview.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 am

windowcactus wrote:I have not done any mass-mailing so far. I just followed the advice of career services and focused solely on networking. Unfortunately, I have not received any interviews so far. I started thinking maybe mass-mailing was the way to go. Except for one person on this thread, mass-mailing hasn't netted anyone an interview.


It's a low yielding tactic, especially if you're mass mailing the legal job search equivalent of cheap take out flyers.* After all, when people don't have work to dole out, why would a mass mailed letter make them change their mind? While even a targeted simple "Dear Mr/Ms _____" probably helps, I've had better luck getting responses with symplicity, the BYU Jobbank board (and asking employers if they were also looking for entry level candidates), and using law firm friends as references. Even then, the response rate isn't great.




*Unless Jimmy Johns.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Time to take stock of this semester's job search efforts:

Didn't do a mass mail campaign. Hit up some stuff on Symplicity and tried to work some of the contacts I knew. Didn't bother with the federal govt. scramble because I don't have the resume for it. Concentrated mainly on firms, who didn't seem to really be doing a lot of hiring in the fall.

1) Callback at Waller's fall program. Rejected.
2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.

3) On-campus screener with PD in home market. Callback. Haven't heard.
4) IRS Honors. Survived a round of cuts to get an interview. No word on any further interviews or rejection.
5) Interview with white collar boutique in home market happening when I get back from break.


So still shit waiting to hear back from. I don't know if 5 interviews is good or not, but I'm really trying not to be discouraged.


Whelp, got some results. Was second choice at #2. Was first choice at #5, but they don't have the work. Still waiting on #3. Best bet now seems to be using some personal connections to try to snag DA in home market.

I regret law school.

I am the above anon


Things are looking up. I got an offer from the PD office in home market with formal offer pending nothing that would delay my bar admission. Sent the thing in a little later than I would have liked, but my nose is clean.

Feel relieved.


I am the above anon.

#5 said they didn't want to let me slip through their fingers, and I got an offer today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Congrats to everyone. But gotta say all this good news is actually just depressing me since I've been working my contacts, applying to anything remotely relevant Symplicity, and doing a little mass mailing, to absolutely no avail. Rather than incentive to keep trucking/feel somewhat hopeful, it feels like there's a clear indication that there is some hiring movement, and I'm not part of it and am even more screwed. I'm not getting interviews at places where historically I should at least get an interview. Not that I'm expecting that I "deserve" to be hired by those places, but the lack of even a screener at places that ARE hiring is concerning.

I also had a fall 3L semester below median. It brought down my GPA by about .04 and nudged me to the outside edge of the top 1/3 by about .1, rather than safely inside the top 1/3 where I had been for all of law school. Grades still over all ok but it sure as hell doesn't help.

I'm on a journal and moot court at a Tier 1 school (but no leadership roles on either), have been president of a random club, am getting good clinic experience and worked for a solid state govt position and small firm. I'm just completely forgettable in this economy. I'm a good but not great law student and am starting to think about all the other things I could have tried instead that I was GREAT at. What's weird is I actually really DO want to use my legal education and sincerely like legal work. At this point would be grateful to pull in 60k (or whatever) at a small firm where I could pay back my in-state tuition and take a vacation every now and then. I've checked the part of my ego that struck out of a summer associate position at the door and got my head wrapped around the idea of building a solid, respected legal career by making the most of wherever I land and working really hard from day 1. But when even one-step-above-shitlaw places (or public interest for that matter) won't look at my resume and the phone hasn't rung for days and days ... it's really hard not to regret.

User avatar
2LsAPlenty
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Yes, it sucks, but keep your head up. At this point many are just balls rolling on the roulette table but the more you try, the better your odds and at least you won't feel like you should have done something. There is a luck element in all of this and your luck and odds increase, the more you circulate. I know that sounds like crappy advice, but the jobs are hit and miss at this point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Today I got a rejection letter from a firm I really REALLY want(ed) to work for. Took them 7 months from the initial screener to finally reject me. Had a callback at a different firm a few weeks ago, thought it went well, but radio silence since. Shit is not looking pretty.

Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kobe824 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I got a rejection letter from a firm I really REALLY want(ed) to work for. Took them 7 months from the initial screener to finally reject me. Had a callback at a different firm a few weeks ago, thought it went well, but radio silence since. Shit is not looking pretty.


That sucks. Another problem with 3L hiring is that even if you do get an interview, you're likely only competing for one spot and who knows how many other desperate 3Ls they are interviewing. It really is a crapshoot.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 am

Why does the 11th Circuit keep reposting the staff attorney position? Are they just super damn picky?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:43 am

kalvano wrote:Why does the 11th Circuit keep reposting the staff attorney position? Are they just super damn picky?

Yeah I've seen that poasting a lot. No clue.

How are state clerkship apps going?

Ever hear back from your summer firm?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 am

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:Why does the 11th Circuit keep reposting the staff attorney position? Are they just super damn picky?

Yeah I've seen that poasting a lot. No clue.

How are state clerkship apps going?

Ever hear back from your summer firm?


I guess I should apply.

Pretty much all tapped out, but I think it worked out for the best. I found out I'm going to be a dad, and moving and finding her a new job and everything with a baby due right in the middle of it all would be a nightmare. So I'll try it again with a couple years experience under my belt.

They keep pushing back a decision. It's weird, because if they aren't going to hire me, it seems they have better things to do than keep in touch and email back and forth. So I guess it's still technically a viable prospect, but I'm more focused on smaller firms around town. Fortunately, my summer work was at a firm that's really well-known in town and I'm hoping that will be appealing to firms that do similar work.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:Why does the 11th Circuit keep reposting the staff attorney position? Are they just super damn picky?

Yeah I've seen that poasting a lot. No clue.

How are state clerkship apps going?

Ever hear back from your summer firm?


I guess I should apply.

Pretty much all tapped out, but I think it worked out for the best. I found out I'm going to be a dad, and moving and finding her a new job and everything with a baby due right in the middle of it all would be a nightmare. So I'll try it again with a couple years experience under my belt.

They keep pushing back a decision. It's weird, because if they aren't going to hire me, it seems they have better things to do than keep in touch and email back and forth. So I guess it's still technically a viable prospect, but I'm more focused on smaller firms around town. Fortunately, my summer work was at a firm that's really well-known in town and I'm hoping that will be appealing to firms that do similar work.

Grats on the kid bro.

I can't believe your summer firm hasn't given you an answer (but then a buddy of mine hasn't heard from his large firm yet).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:16 am

Thanks, simultaneously the best and scariest news I've ever gotten.

It's a smallish firm, so I imagine they just aren't certain. Still, an answer would be nice...I've sent some more pointed emails, but I don't want to push too hard.

Any news on your end, or still toiling away? One thing a buddy of mine has done is send emails to partners at local firms that just say "you seem awesome and really good at your job, and I want to be you, basically. Can I buy you lunch and get some advice, and oh by the by, here is my résumé." It actually seems to be working out well for him, so I'm going to give a it a try. They end up buying him lunch, chatting a while, and then passing on his résumé to other friends. Can't hurt, and free lunch at least.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am

Not a 3L, but a current law clerk for a judge. Just mailed out 50+ letters to law firms and just waiting for the rejection letters. A waste of time and paper, but at least I am supporting the USPS.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote: A waste of time and paper, but at least I am supporting the USPS.


God knows they need it if they're making a clothing line.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a 3L, but a current law clerk for a judge. Just mailed out 50+ letters to law firms and just waiting for the rejection letters. A waste of time and paper, but at least I am supporting the USPS.

In the same position, did the same thing. Netted me three interviews, two more strong leads that will hopefully become interviews, and a big fat pile of dings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

I've had one interview and 2 dings in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure that in my meeting with CSO tomorrow, I'll be reminded to apply to state trial court clerkships, but I'd rather wait, take the bar, and try to grab a gig at a small shit law firm instead of just delaying the job search for another year. I'm so tired of this b.s.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had one interview and 2 dings in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure that in my meeting with CSO tomorrow, I'll be reminded to apply to state trial court clerkships, but I'd rather wait, take the bar, and try to grab a gig at a small shit law firm instead of just delaying the job search for another year. I'm so tired of this b.s.

Any skills that would be valuable to shitlaw firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had one interview and 2 dings in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure that in my meeting with CSO tomorrow, I'll be reminded to apply to state trial court clerkships, but I'd rather wait, take the bar, and try to grab a gig at a small shit law firm instead of just delaying the job search for another year. I'm so tired of this b.s.

Any skills that would be valuable to shitlaw firms?


Same skills as any other freshly minted JD. In other words, nope.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had one interview and 2 dings in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure that in my meeting with CSO tomorrow, I'll be reminded to apply to state trial court clerkships, but I'd rather wait, take the bar, and try to grab a gig at a small shit law firm instead of just delaying the job search for another year. I'm so tired of this b.s.

Any skills that would be valuable to shitlaw firms?


Same skills as any other freshly minted JD. In other words, nope.

Make any decent grades in family law, t&e, crim (for govt.), bankruptcy, or torts II? Might be something you can sell in there.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.